Austin American-Statesman Employee Reviews

The environment is a fun place to be. Unfortunately,...
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 31, 2018
If it was not for the down turn in sales of newspapers, the Statesman would still be going as strong as ever. However, I would not recommend this as a place to work only in the fact that it is unknown where you will end up.
Challenging
Independent Sales Contractor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 2, 2018
Working in a blind market is tough but it forces you out of your comfort zone and it also teaches you to deal with rejection in a healthy way. This is a 100% commission job
I worked at the Statesman during a growth phase
Fashion Editor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 26, 2018
I was given plenty of opportunities to chose my own topics for stories and pursue stories that I believed our readers would follow. Management changed several times during my tenure there and there was not always solid support for a fashion section.
Pros
wonderful co-workers
Cons
oft-changing leadership
Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 22, 2018
Typical day is busy but time to interact with others.

Hardest part is the churn and not enough staff / training / tools.

The most enjoyable part is the team--great team
Pros
dog days
A tough place to work and management couldn't always be trusted
WEB CONTENT PRODUCER (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 3, 2018
News is a tough business. Exacting, competitive and not always supportive.

My team lead had a personal dislike for me and made my time there exceedingly and unnecessarily difficult. This was only exacerbated by a manager who was not concerned with leading the team, but with his next promotion. 'Results' were expected, but we lacked the leadership and guidance on how to get there.

There were marked attempts at keeping morale high since burnout can happen easily. Free snacks on Fridays and birthdays off were nice.

Vacation time was not generous, but adding in personal days, it could be enough.
Pros
free snack days, your birthday is a holiday off day
Cons
highly stressful
I loved my job overall
Executive Secretary (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 6, 2017
The newspaper is very community active, and I was able to interact and get involved with various community leaders. My original boss was wonderful, as were most of the managers I knew; however, management did change prior to my relocating out of state, and the new management was not a good fit for the office or Austin culture.

It has changed again since then, but for the better as far as I have heard, although it is currently for sale.
Pros
great benefits, friendly atmosphere
Cons
unsure of current management
You could get your homework done if you're in school.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 15, 2017
You get to know your city. Every aspect was enjoyable. In a regular day you do get much accomplished with your clients. The workplace is awesome. Careful with your manager if you don't put in a two week notice that you're leaving the company.
Austin American Statesman
Data Entry- Acct/ Payroll Dept (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 20, 2017
• Working with other departments on special payment requirements
• Processes consumer account data for deficiencies; resolving discrepancies by using standard procedures or returning incomplete documents to the team leader for resolution.
• prepare, compile, sort and process documents for data entry, Maintain log books and records data
• Update data and delete unnecessary files, Working with other departments on special payments
• Combine and rearrange data from source documents where required
N/a
Multimedia Advertising Consultant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 2, 2017
Working environment is great. Fellow employees are a great group to work with on a daily basis. Compensation and benefits are some of the best I've ever seen. Flexible on schedule, which is always nice.
Not a bad place
Sales Team (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 31, 2017
The Statesman isn't a bad place, but there isn't much room for advancement along a career path unless you are willing to relocate out of state. Teams are lean so you learn lots, but it also means that you are stretched thin at time.
Legacy newspaper
Reporter (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 19, 2017
Radical downsizing leaves this organization struggling to keep readers and stay relevant. Online presence is cumbersome and content continues to shrink.
Great place to work.
Mechanical Electrical Tech III / Press Room (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 29, 2017
I moved to Austin to work here. Great place to work for 17+ years of my life. Then they sold out and we became a number. Moved all of our production out of town the we all got laid off. Sad it was such a great place.
Pros
Great place to work.
Cons
Moved production out of town and getting laid off.
Fast-paced, stressful yet rewarding
Editorial Writer & Columnist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 22, 2017
The intelligent, dedicated, hard-working people here make this for a rewarding and exciting place to work. Much is asked of just about everyone -- it's just the nature of journalism -- with limited resources. That means employees have to be creative on how they meet their goals. Luckily, there are some very smart people in leadership roles to help guide everyone to ensure all goals are met.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Inadequate resources
Newspaper isn't what it used to be
Production Manager/Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  TexasApril 13, 2017
When I joined the Statesman 17 years ago, there we so many employees that had 20 plus, even 30 years with the company. Now I think it would be rare to find anyone with over ten years there. Newspaper just isn't the industry it once was.
Pros
Pretty location right on the river
Cons
Long hours for low pay
Great company
Advertising Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 12, 2017
Culture and process are in place for success. Great variety of products available to sell. Good employee benefits and incentives. Salary could be more competitive.
Pros
Great culture.
Cons
Salary could be more competitive. Austin is a very expensive place to live.
i worked for them when it was union
Supervisor of the Pressroom (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 9, 2017
its no longer a union job, so I dont know what its like to work there anymore It has been many years since I worked there. I don't know what to tell you
Difficult hours, but good advancement opourtunities
Prepress Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 2, 2017
Began working there during reorganizing/restructuring downsizing departments. leadership more focused on deadlines and not life/work balance. Great working conditions and tools. Fantastic HR department.
Pros
First class tools and technology. Fantastic HR deparment.
Cons
Poor leadership empathy towards employees.
Great workers, management is slow to react to market and media innovation
Web Content Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 23, 2017
The pay is miserable at the Statesman and the company is incredibly cumbersome and slow to react to market conditions and media innovations. The employees are to a person wonderful, engaged, and thoroughly professional. Management is at best indifferent at worst actually impeding.
Productive and positive environment
Accounting Management Intern (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 23, 2017
I truly cherish the time I worked at The Austin American-Statesman. The environment makes you excited to get to work. They are passionate about their work and it takes the multitude of personalities that they have to get each thing done perfectly!
Was a great place to work
Electrical / Mechanical Press tech III (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 13, 2016
Typical day was 10 hrs. Learned to advance with printing technology.
Upper management but lower management / supervisors needed more training and people skills.
Co-workers helpful. Hardest part of job was getting operators to report problems when the happened instead of reporting them after runs.
Looking back after repairs had been completed.
Pros
Little supervision
Cons
Job played out.