Austin Community College Employee Reviews

Life as an adjunct
Adjunct Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 11, 2019
It has been ten years since I was. an adjunct at ACC, teaching an occasional four course load, but usually three-five course for a whole year. I cannot begin to assume a knowledge of the current culture at ACC.
Pros
Flexible adjunct opportunities
Cons
Pay was a bit low comparatively
Excellent place to work
Liaison of the Honors (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 17, 2019
Enjoyed the work culture only draw back is pay. The group and supervisor i worked for were always ready to give feed back and support. Felt appreciated and valued.
Pros
flixibility
Cons
pay
Fun and rewarding when allowed to be creative
Specialist, Advising/Student Services (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 16, 2019
There is a lot of good faculty and staff that are doing the best they can under difficult circumstances. The leadership at ACC seems to have drifted away from student success and more towards construction for profit. Creating chaos by having different policies and rules at multiple campuses that serve all students. It is making a "profit" from students by making them take classes that, more often than not, they do not need. Classes that are more profitable for the college than regular classes. A policy was manufactured to get rid of an employee. HR testified under oath that the policy did not exist. This is a public record.
Pros
Helping students access higher Ed. Colleagues working as a team. with respect and camaraderie
Cons
Poor leadership all around.
Respect for employees is an important ingredient.
Hays Campus, Student Accessibility Services Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kyle, TXJanuary 15, 2019
I liked being an "hourly" (clerk). I thought was fun and enjoyable, I did my duties and could leave and return as needed, I respected my supervisor a great deal.

Until the fact that she hired another clerk; I felt replaced and blindsided, I did not know. She also seemed to enjoy laughing at me, not with me. I was not laughing by her statements about me, she was. Therefore I did lose respect for her and resigned.

It was a laid back job which suited me. It was easy. WARNING: be careful where you park, campus police are watching.
Pros
Casual; most employees very friendly; clerical experience
Cons
Lack of work; supervisor with no expectations.
Good place to get your start and foot into the door.
SURVEY SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 11, 2019
Working at Austin Community College Part time has allowed me to improve in computers skills as well as learn more about the College. For people who are wanting to go back to College. Austin Community College does offer help and reimbursement for going back and getting your degree.
Pros
Constant Training, and flexible hours.
Cons
Most positions want experience.
A great place to work!
Learning Lab Attendant (Former Employee) –  Cedar Park, TXJanuary 9, 2019
I really enjoyed my time at the Cypress Creek ACC Campus. Everyone was helpful and delightful to work with. I enjoyed my position. It allowed me to be the face of the learning lab letting me greet and support students by being welcoming and helpful in their needs to come and receive tutoring. The lab was very well managed and so helped me feel valuable. My opinion mattered and the then manager (Flor Mota) cared about me as an employee and friend at work and outside of work. I would gladly work at ACC again.
Pros
welcoming and confortable enviornment
Cons
short of hours at times
enjoyable part of the job
Director - Financial Accounting and Report (Current Employee) –  Business CenterJanuary 6, 2019
Austin Community College(ACC) provides technical certificate programs, associate degrees, and university transfer to major colleges. The atmosphere is which students, staff and professors are pursuing quality education and standards.
Fun and Easy
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 4, 2019
I found my job heavily enjoyable but without much monetary reward. I really didn't get a paid that much working in the photography studio. Still, there are some amazing staff members and mentors that I worked with.
Very great place to work
Learning Assistant 2 (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 1, 2019
I loved working here and I was so sad to leave! The culture and support they have is amazing. I would go back if they ask me to in a heart beat I absolutely loved my supervisor.
Able to study while at work
Student Work Study (Former Employee) –  Rio Grande CampusDecember 28, 2018
Able to study while at work, assist with regular clerical duties, filing, answer phones, mailroom, data entry, collating, operating office peripherals, utilizing website for college
Positive experience as deaf interpreter
Deaf interpreter (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 11, 2018
To provide an effective communication using Americans Sign Language for students at ACC. To educate students on specific subjects during classes. It’s friendly environment for the Deaf community at college.
Pros
Deaf community
Cons
Not all hearing know sign language
Extremely Happy
Instructor/Trainer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 5, 2018
Love my job, love my students, love my workplace! They always have events for employees going on, they also provide tuition vouchers dependent of your status (PT/FT/Adjunct) GO RIVERBATS!!!
Fun and intellectually stimulating environment
Mathematics Tutor (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 27, 2018
The Austin Community College learning labs are great working environments in general. On any given day, it is quite likely that you'll meet someone who inspires you to continue to establish and achieve your goals (whatever they may be). Colleagues tend to be cordial and friendly. And the daily climate proves to be stimulating as ones mental acuity must remain agile to assist students in theoretical problem solving.
Pros
Ones service is valued
Cons
sometime ones brain can become overstimulated
Great job for students...
Computer Technician (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 18, 2018
Overall, Austin Community College met my needs for the time I was attending and completing my Associates Degree. There are very few job opportunities unless you want to drive back and forth across Austin in a long daily commute. Does not pay very well , but the location was a huge bonus until they closed the campus.
Pros
Hours, Immediate Supervisor, and other Employees
Cons
Pay
Fun place to work
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 8, 2018
Very diverse, a typical day would be from 8-5, Management was very informative, the hardest part of the job was the language barrier, the most enjoyable part of the job was the atmosphere was friendly.
Great group of people
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 23, 2018
Had to relocate for a job, or probably still be team member there. The faculty and students are all awesome and great source of information and help.
Open culture for everyone
IT Technical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  AustinOctober 18, 2018
I was so excited to join ACC and I was so happy to be a part of Accelerator lab to help students with their IT issue. I was able to understand the work nature from my colleagues, everyone was amazing and full of energy to give and be part of the family. I love my manager a lot he was a great example for the leadership motivation!
Large Community College System
Learning Assistant and Testing Proctor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 27, 2018
Don't believe that the money received by the college is reinvested into the system well. Watched while the college grew at a rapid pace while professors and staff were not compensated for the work they put in. As a part-time employee I received NO benefits or job security. Very close nit offices - its not what you know but who you know.
Pros
Working with the students
Cons
Pay and Management
Previous Employer
Administrative Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 18, 2018
Great organization college to work for. Room for advancement, opportunity for growth depending on what you are going for. I would recommend anyone to apply with Austin Community College.
Fun working environment!
Student Activities, Austin Community College (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 13, 2018
I loved working at the Student Life office and assisting with event coordination. I found it exciting and loved seeing the enjoyment on the student's faces. Overall, great place to learn and develop.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Austin Community College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4