Austin Energy Employee Reviews

Working in Austin Energy
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 27, 2018
Working for AustinEnergy was fun in it unique way. I handled incoming calls ranging from starting up new services, cancelling or transferring services. And once in a while calls coming in need explanation about their bills. I learned a great deal on the electric, water and waste management was done and answered a lot of my person questions on the system worked. The management was great and they treated their employees very well., The hardest part of the job is unable to help the people that needed help in getting their power back on due to life issues and unable to pay their bill on time. But other than that, it loved the time I was there though it was through temp agency, but I would go back.
Pros
Great people and management
Cons
Wished it was direct hire.
Great place to exercise ideas
Environmental Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 12, 2018
Great opportunity to grow ideas and implement programs.
In the past allowed to travel twice a year.
Work is always available with a wide range of scope.
Have learned so much about utility industry.
Have had a wonderful opportunity to connect with like minded folks across the country.
Pros
Well recognized utility
Cons
Running out of ways to stay ahead
Conservation Program Associate (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 12, 2018
Austin Energy will teach you a variety of different skills. You have to be willing to learn new things that will help you advance. The Supervisors always give you opportunities to advance your skill sets.
Good job security but not much movement or dynamism.
IT Geospatial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 14, 2018
I was hired as a temp worker so I didnt feel I enjoyed the full benefits of working here. Its a great place to work If you I hired on. Great benefits and retirement and they pay well. Things just move slowly and people arent promoted that often so the wait may be a while until someone leaves or retires.
Pros
nap room, healthcare, city employee benefits, retirement options
Cons
stagnant
This was a great place to work.
Conservation Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 12, 2018
I would recommend anyone to work for Austin Energy. There was never any artificial stress. The managers were easily accessible and are there, in part, to help you. I loved my bosses and I felt I was doing something good for the community. Very rewarding. I left because I got a raise at the City of Austin owned airport. I learned about new precision HVAC tools and how to use and program Automated Logic building controls. The hardest part of the job was putting new building control systems into a building that had a previous control system. Many people don't like change or having to learn something new.
Pros
Plenty of support, a team of real public servants
Cons
Really don't have any cons.
exciting career
Journeyman Linemean/ Cable Splicer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 12, 2018
Great place to work, good people, Great benefits, competitive pay,career advancement opportunities fast paced, diverse, paid holidays, personal holidays, sick and vacation days.
Great place to work.
Stores Supervisor II (Former Employee) –  Austin, TX 78701June 18, 2018
I worked 22 years at AE and I would have kept working there if I had not found another great job at Round Rock, TX. I have the utmost respect for the company and people.
Work At Austin Energy
ADMINISTRATIVE SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 12, 2018
A typical work day would be, answering a multi-line phone, processing rebates, answering internal/external emails, ordering supplies, and assisting with anything and anyone who needs my helps.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Lack of opportunity for advancement
Excellent start
Store Specialist Senior (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 24, 2018
It was a great place to work, my position didn't have any room for advancement. Work environment was steady and consistent. Management was great. Customers were great.
Productive and satisfying work place
Technical Writer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 23, 2018
I worked in the technology department. The people there were intelligent, hard-working, and great to work with.

Overall, everyone seemed to like their work and liked working there.
Excellent Management and employees
Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  721 Barton Springs Road, Austin, TxJanuary 23, 2018
I was the secretary for 4 supervisors and 1 Process Manager, also worked for 60 employees for payroll, timesheets, ordered supplies and typed and filed.
Pros
Wonderful benefits
My first IT position
IT Intern (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 26, 2018
The short time that I worked for Austin energy, I was able to work with both old and new technology. I learned a great deal about what goes into managing IT systems. Management was understanding and made sure that all interns felt welcome to their new position. Workplace culture is typical office culture.
Pros
Understanding management, get to work for Austin's community
Cons
Working downtown in traffic
horrible
Quality Assurance Project (call center) (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 19, 2017
Horrible place to work I was there for 15 years, and for 15 years I saw the click of friends advance and those who weren't friends were in relationships with management to advance.
If you have another choice take it
Billing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 28, 2017
Management was petty, and back stabbing. Unreasonable expectations of employees, and don't ever disagree with them. They played favorites. As long as you were anonymous then everything was fine, but if one person disliked you then no matter what you did it was a bad day at work.
Pros
paid weekly
Cons
long term employees weren't capable of getting fired.
Interesting place to work
Vehicle Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 5, 2017
Great Company to work for... The work place is relaxed and everyone gets along with each other. Hours are great mostly Monday through Friday. Some weekends depending on the area you work in.
Pros
Hours are great
Diverse Culture, management varies
Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 8, 2017
Austin Energy is an energetic place to work and there are always new employees and projects. Departments within the City of Austin vary greatly. Some departments are much better managed than others.
Very productive and great place to work.
Utility Process Consultant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 19, 2017
Safety, operational excellence, and exceptional customer service always a priority at Austin Energy. Great management and employees. Great environmental stewards.
Pros
Employee welfare always a priority
City Temp
Temporary Client Relationship Analyst (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 24, 2017
The city needs to reconsider the temp positions. You can work for years and end up without a job at anytime, There needs to be a path to becoming permanent after a period of time. You miss out on training that can help with professional development.
Network Engineer Senior (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 4, 2017
Provide NERC compliant LAN, WAN and security network support for the city of Austin electrical grid campus and wide area network comprising Cisco and Palo firewalls, routers and switches. Primary SCADA network resource. Heavy Cisco ASA and Palo Alto firewall experience
Pros
Schedule
Cons
Beuracrautic complications but great work enviornment and inteligence
Conservation Program Associate (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 23, 2017
Politics makes getting things done a bit difficult. However, you'll be proud of your work. Everyone is helpful and smart and work life balance is strong.