Austin ISD

Austin ISD Employee Reviews

Very mission driven and focus always on students

Working at a school district is dynamic because there are new challenges every day that must be addressed. In addition, decisions made at the state level can have impact on the local district. But, the shared dedication to ensuring students receive a quality education that is enriched by art, music, sports, and other opportunities, and the chance to contribute to the future of our community, drives most of the teachers and other educators.

Lack of accountability.

Complete lack of accountability. Incompetence across the board. You do not get promoted and/or hired based on talent. If you’re a professional who truly cares about your work, steer clear.

Benefits

Cons

Everything else.

Poor Leadership

Over the last few years, partially due to legal changes in the state of Texas and mostly due to poor leadership, Austin ISD has become an exceptionally poor working environment for LSSPs and Educational Diagnosticians. Our positions were eliminated in the Spring in what appeared to be a misdirected culture cleanse, and I fear that things won't be getting any better in the near future. I loved working here when I first started, but leadership ran our department into the ground.

Pros

Campus staff is great

Cons

Poor management, poor culture, poor work-life balance

Great coworkers; poor management

When I first started working here, I enjoyed the sense of autonomy they gave their employees and departments. In recent years, it became a toxic work environment, because of leaders who were out of touch yet wanted to micromanage everything. However, most people in direct contact with families and students do an amazing job of supporting those they serve.

Good place to work if you are very committed to a social justice philosophy.

My coworkers are always giving 100% of themselves to the job! The day can be from 7:00 am to 8:00 pm with special events for families after school. Hardest part of the job is having to educate the parents on the importance of helping their child and establishing a routine. Most enjoyable part is working with the children.

Pros

Long Holidays

Cons

No time for Professional Development

Your experience matters.

Help out others considering your employer. Rate your employer.

Teacher

Your experience in Austin ISD will depend on the school and admin. Low pay for the workload. Opportunities are available to move into admin. Austin ISD is not very diverse.

Pros

Cons

Not very diverse/stressful work environment

Innovative district with great intentions

Working for Austin ISD was a roller coaster. Hiring process is similar to most school districts. Selection is great with there being so many schools in Austin. I recommend researching the school beforehand.

Pros

Paving the way for Texas, innovative

Cons

pay can be better

good work environment. Bad health benefits and low pay

AISD is great to work. I liked all my colleges... nice work environment. cultured and respectful students and staff.con- bad health benefit and low pay.

Pros

Good work environment

Cons

bad health benefit, low pay.

Never a dull day....

You have to work here....with kids... for the right reasons...Pay is low if you're just starting. Benefits are decent. Vacations are nice. Again... you must "like" working with kids, or you won't be happy.

Positive and Interaction with Admin often

Everyday I had an opportunity to interact with lots of students. I was able to learn from them as they did from me. If there were specifics that I needed to do for the students, admin communicated with me how and when to do this.

Pros

Posititive environment and staff/ administration

Cons

Low pay

Jobs at Austin ISD

See more jobs

Do NOT work for this district!

Way too Liberal!!! They talk the talk, but don’t walk the walk. District is too big to be GREAT. Students are NOT a priority because many are worried about covering their backsides out of fear of parents and “higher ups”. Makes me sad because AISD was NOT like this in 1986 when I began teaching. I resigned last summer because my morals and values no longer aligned with those of liberal AISD.

Pros

Students and their families

Cons

Malicious co-workers

Terrible teacher pay and too much politics

The teacher pay is terrible for the expensive Austin area. If teachers are not teaching the way the dIstrict wants admin puts the teacher on a growth plan to get rid of them. They want teachers to be “yes” men and women and if you are not that type of person it is not the place for you. I did however have great professional development that taught me a variety of ways to teach to many different learning style.

Fun and very welcoming

All staff are wonderful and welcoming. They give me advice, when i need help. The staff are friendly to everyone who come in and goes out. They teach me things that i never new about working in this industry. They know i do more then what I'm suppose to and they love me for that.

Good

This job is my livily hood. It pays my bills. I love my hour and the ot o make everyday my supervisor is always there to help if I have a problem. Most of the emplyey there are friendly.

There are a lot of perks to teaching here. Everyday you can learn something new from the students that make you grow better and realize that everyone wants to make it better but in their own way.

Engaging and varied work

Diversity and flexibility are key. One day is not like the rest. I enjoyed being able to assist community members, families, and students with fulfilling their needs inside and outside of the school setting. I valued the community contacts and opportunities to interact and involve other entities into the school culture.

Fulfilling work, wonderful coworkers, but terrible pay and inequity

The work is amazing and I truly felt like I was helping students and families. I had some great coworkers, and we supported each other through very difficult professional times. However, there are huge cultural problems at AISD. Men's opinions hold more weight, they are taken more seriously. They are hired to jobs over women that are stronger candidates in interviews and command higher rates of pay even when they have less experience. There is poor work/life balance for anyone below Chief level, and management are not respectful of boundaries.

Pros

Good vacation allowance, paid sick time, supportive coworkers, fulfilling work

Cons

Expensive healthcare, sexism

Politics....yikes

The higher you move up, the less they seem to care about students. It gets harder to watch. The apathy can be contagious if you are not careful. People can hide in upper management and not work much.

VICTORY Tutorials

I highly recommend working or volunteering for VICTORY though Austin ISD. The kids are great, getting to know the families is awesome. Volunteers are mostly college students.

Good, work-life balance

People are warm and friendly. Sometimes work can become hectic but mostly managable. I appreciate the opportunity to join AISD and learn a lot from my fellow colleagues

No comment

I truly do not recommend AISD for an employer. It could just be my experience at the location that I worked, but there isn't any support for new teachers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Austin ISD. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Austin ISD with

• Austin ISD
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?