Austin Pets Alive! Employee Reviews in Austin, TX

Poor Management/Not knowledgeable
Dog Walker (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 9, 2019
I worked at APA! for three months as a Part-Time Dog Walker. At first I loved it because everyone was so nice, friendly and accommodating. After my first month, I noticed it was a lie. People are forced to communicate with one another so as to seem friendly to potential adopters, and get more animals adopted. Seems like an okay thing at first, but then come the performance reviews, which despite my best efforts, I never exceeded expectations, regardless of my many improvements and money spent on my own gear to be more efficient. The upskilling they offer here is fast paced and done by a person from a very small team that reads off a piece of paper that never seems to have the proper information. Also, advancement is mandatory as a Staffed employee. You are required to work in all weather conditions, and the location on Cesar Chavez, where I worked, was notorious for flooding. With flooding, comes disease. They have animals that have distemper, parvo, ringworm, scabies, and demodectic mange, and when it floods, if you don’t have the proper gear (which isn’t provided to you) like rainboots, work pants, or a hat to wear, you can catch any of those or carry it on your clothes. That’s dangerous if you have pets of your own. Not to mention management has a terrible attitude, and will judge you visibly if they find anything to not like about you. After my second month of working there, they released an attendance policy. Let me say that again...AFTER TWO MONTHS, they released an attendance policy, meaning there wasn’t one to start with. Yet somehow they gave me write ups for having  more... a broken AC to deal with at my apartment complex for 8 days, and pets of my own to keep from overheating in 88 degree weather. All in all, it’s a terrible place to work. Don’t even bother trying to be nice or even yourself with these people, cause if you don’t fit their views of what you should be or should do, you are immediately considered an outcast and not included in any of their “team” meetings or activities. Oh! And also? You don’t get a break if you’re Part-Time, so if you aren’t used to walking 3-5 miles a day for 5 hours straight, and are prone to heat exhaustion in 90 degree+ heat, you’re better off without knowing these people. They seriously only care about their animals, and have absolutely no idea how to run a business when it comes to their employees.  less
Pros
Snuggle time with dogs, sometimes
Cons
Poor management, poor treatment of staff, overall feelings of being used
Productive work place.
Shelter Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 15, 2019
I learned how to care for pets in a more compassionate fashion. This place was awesome, a place where I can can work and forget about stress at the same time.
Pros
Working with pets.
Cons
The days ends and I have to go home.
Great mission, struggles with staff mangement
Vet Tech (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 11, 2019
The mission that APA works towards, keeping Austin no kill, is fantastic. Because of this, the staff that are attracted to work there are generally great, and everyone is in it for the right reasons. This sense of community and "all in it together", and putting the animals first, is the greatest thing about working there.

The issues come from upper management. There's such a focus on volunteer retention and foster retention, while staff are seen as expendable or replaceable. Discipline can be harsh or unfair, and great employees end up leaving because no one made them feel valued enough to stay. Rates of pay vary enormously from department to department in an arbitrary way.

I wouldn't recommend working there with the current staff culture, because it's all on you but you get the least amount of latitude and support. However, they treat their volunteers/fosters amazingly and that teamwork culture really thrives in those spheres. If you're committed to helping the animals in Austin, I would highly recommend volunteering or fostering, but find some other way to pay the bills.
Pros
Cheap healthcare/benefits, flexibility to change departments, great animals
Cons
No room for constructive negative feedback, staff receive poor feedback and personal development, little to no training, disorganized management style
Employees are not valued
Employee (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 4, 2019
Most people go to work at APA because they are passionate about animal rescue. However, you very quickly become disillusioned when working there. Employees are expected to work long hours in an unsafe and unhealthy environment. The wages would make you want to cry and there is no consistency in experience/work load in relation to pay scale.

Overall, APA has become more focused on politics and maintaining a public image than on actually caring for the animals.

This is an organization that held so much promise, but is very poorly run.
Pros
The animals
Cons
low pay, no appreciation
A day in the life
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 29, 2018
Everyone that works at APA is committed to saving lives. Certainly don't do it for the pay. Compassion fatigue is the main reason people leave and there isn't much that APA does to combat that.
Volunteer Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 21, 2018
Great place to work. All employees are focused on saving animals lives. Low pay to be expected from a nonprofit with all money going toward the animals.
Cons
Little advancement
Underpaid Understaffed Overworked
Vet Tech (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 3, 2018
I've been employeed in multiple shelters and other animal specialist positions, and this was probably the worst job I've ever had. I've worked a few different positions here and every program is severely understaffed. The people who run this place expect volunteers to fill in the gaps for everything, but don't provide proper staff coverage if that doesn't happen, meaning you'll sometimes be working 10-12 hours 6 days a week. When I was a Dog Walker, I'd be routinely forced to stay past midnight (while managers left as soon as the sun started to set), because they expect volunteers to cover but if that's doesn't happen then too bad. Everyone who's a salaried office worker there is out of touch with the people who are doing the actual hard work, and just want to save money by overworking the same few people until they break down. And of course employee turnover is ridiculously high because of all these things. There's about 3 salaried people to cover every single position for the office jobs, and they make up and hire for a new position about once a month. Instead of hiring more HR people to figure out how to make staff happier, they should think about allocating some of that money to hire staff that would lessen those employees burdens. I'm honestly surprised they haven't been fined or shut down for how they treat staff.
Pros
You'll never get fired because they're so desperate for staff
Cons
Work/life balance is non-existent, low pay, constant stress
Good
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 28, 2018
I had a lot of fun volunteering for them. It was very fullfiling and there was always something to do. Everyone was very nice and helpful when I needed help.
Pros
Animal interaction, nice people
Cons
Too far from home for me to continue volunteering
Management is organized
Cleaning and Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 12, 2018
Great environment when I worked here. Volunteers work in unison and contribute as team players. Facility is always kept clean and I would work there again.
Deeply dysfunctional work environment with poor leadership
Dog staff (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 1, 2018
Good for animals, horrible for workers. Management is embarrassingly inexperienced and generally incompetent, cliquey, and sometimes outright abusive towards employees with no system for accountability. Executive leadership is apathetic toward working conditions and contemptuous toward entry-level employees. Leadership from multiple departments provide very little support to their most essential staff and seem completely out-of-touch with the actual work their employees do every day. Very poor communication between departments, which leads to poor quality of care for the animals. No communication of any kind regarding workplace safety hazards. Morale is always poor due to high turnover, long hours, and low pay in a constantly chaotic, unstructured, and unsafe environment. Constantly short-staffed with no work-life balance. Frequent serious injuries due to inadequate training and exhaustion.
Pros
admirable mission
Cons
highly dysfunctional, disorganized, exploitative
Chaotic environment
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 12, 2018
I actually volunteered awhile ago and agreed to clean and walk dogs but instead was put on painting the ceiling and just other stuff I wasn’t qualified for. It was so uncomfortable.

Any who, I was scheduled for an interview recently even though the pay was near minimum wage but I knew it would be a rewarding experience helping animals live long, great, happy lives. I arrived 15 mins early to building C as directed and it was complete chaos in there! Nowhere to sit or barely stand. I waited in line to talk to the receptionist and people kept stepping in front of me trying to get her attention. By the time I told the front desk I was here for my interview, I was almost late. 20 mins LATER my interviewer came out unprofessionally and escorted me to the 100 degree weather to have the interview (I understand I’d be outside a lot working in this weather but I was in nice dark pants and a long sleeve shirt lol). The interview was so dull and uninteresting to both of us it seemed. Granted, I had bugs, birds, and ants attacking me during the interview so it was pretty hard to concentrate and sound motivated. She kinda BSed along the way saying she had several interviews that day (which I doubt) but that she’d email me the following day. Never happened of course.
This place is run down, old, stinky, and unprofessional. Go to another shelter like Austin Animal Center.
Pros
No kill shelter
Cons
Everything else
Fun and relaxing volunteer job
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 23, 2018
This shelter is so great to volunteer for. Everyone is so nice and you are given a lot of training to work with dogs who need help learning to walk on a leash or feeding newborn kittens and care for them. I highly recommend volunteering here!
Fun, loving enviornment
Kennel Technician (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 13, 2018
I very much enjoyed working here. Everyone was nice and friendly, everyone loves dogs as much as I did. I got to see dogs every day, and cats as well. It was overall a good place to work.
it was fun
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 1, 2018
I would recommend people too work here if you love animals dogs in particular I think it was a really good bonding experience for you too grow fond of a dog or many dogs it is not that stressful
Pros
it was fun
Cons
Disconnected upper management, no support
Austin Pets Alive! Worker (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 14, 2018
Upper management makes much higher salaries than others.
No support for hard working hourly employees
Hourly employees used for their hard work not acknowledged
Poor to no communication between departments
No planning or strategic vision
Overuse of volunteers expecting them to be seen and not heard
Extremely inexperienced HR
Management unflexible and set in ways
Management cliquey
Lies being told to public to make org. Look good
Illegal activity being covered by management/leader
Love for pets/ no love for staff
Counselor (Former Employee) –  AustinMarch 8, 2018
Incredibly high expectations of underpaid, poorly trained staff. Rampant stress & depression among staff. Can feel like the "Brand" and appearances are more important than taking care of workers. Management can be clique-y and uninvolved. Avg shift is 10+ hours with no break.
Austin Pets Alive
Pet adoption counselor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 6, 2018
My first experience with rescue dogs in USA.
Not paid that much because they have more pets every day, good community culture, the no kill mission sound fantastic
Great mission, great people
Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 15, 2017
I was a marketing intern at APA! and loved every minute of it. Getting to help animals is a joy, and the company works tirelessly to accomplish its mission.
Pros
Great mission, flexible hours, remote work
Cons
Organizational communication could be better
Wonderful job!
Dog Foster Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 13, 2017
Wonderful job to work at. Easy work and great people to work with. If you enjoy working with animals and can easily be a team player this is the place to work!
Great atmosphere, happy people
Volunteer Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 3, 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed working at Austin Pets Alive. The dogs were the main attraction, and I loved being around people. I was a dog walking mentor, which consisted of training new volunteers how to properly harness and walk dogs. It was never ending fun being able to walk dogs and be trained on how to read body language and the art of walking dogs.
Pros
rejuvenates the spirit
Cons
hot outdoor days in summer

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Austin Pets Alive!. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.3InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

3.7Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight