Austin Pets Alive! Employee Reviews for Counselor

Love for pets/ no love for staff
Counselor (Former Employee) –  AustinMarch 8, 2018
Incredibly high expectations of underpaid, poorly trained staff. Rampant stress & depression among staff. Can feel like the "Brand" and appearances are more important than taking care of workers. Management can be clique-y and uninvolved. Avg shift is 10+ hours with no break.
Great experience, overall wonderful place to work
Dog Counselor (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 19, 2017
It's a very rewarding environment to work in. Overall the staff members are delightful and everyone is working towards one common goal. There is not much room for an advancements or high pay raises but the pay is equivalent to the amount of work you put in. I am only looking for a new job because financially I am struggling to support myself. 5/5 would work here forever if I could
Awesome Place
Adoption Counselor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 17, 2016
Saving lives is what matters and honestly everyone is super awesome open and it is like family. There are events for staff to just hang out and it was a great place to work.
Rewarding, life changing experience.
Dog Counselor (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 27, 2015
APA gives someone the chance to connect with the species' humanity has taken under it's wing. We have a responsibility to ensure the well being of the animals that have so beautifully impacted our lives. The shelter environment can be a difficult one to be employed in, but no other organization can offer you the love that our animal companions reserve for us alone.
Pros
Compassionate people, Assisting and educating the general public about dogs and cats, The animals are always happy to see you
Cons
Hazardous work environment that can wear on your nerves/compassion.