Austin Pets Alive! Employee Reviews for Volunteer

2.9Pay & Benefits
Good
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 28, 2018
I had a lot of fun volunteering for them. It was very fullfiling and there was always something to do. Everyone was very nice and helpful when I needed help.
Pros
Animal interaction, nice people
Cons
Too far from home for me to continue volunteering
Chaotic environment
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 12, 2018
I actually volunteered awhile ago and agreed to clean and walk dogs but instead was put on painting the ceiling and just other stuff I wasn’t qualified for. It was so uncomfortable.

Any who, I was scheduled for an interview recently even though the pay was near minimum wage but I knew it would be a rewarding experience helping animals live long, great, happy lives. I arrived 15 mins early to building C as directed and it was complete chaos in there! Nowhere to sit or barely stand. I waited in line to talk to the receptionist and people kept stepping in front of me trying to get her attention. By the time I told the front desk I was here for my interview, I was almost late. 20 mins LATER my interviewer came out unprofessionally and escorted me to the 100 degree weather to have the interview (I understand I’d be outside a lot working in this weather but I was in nice dark pants and a long sleeve shirt lol). The interview was so dull and uninteresting to both of us it seemed. Granted, I had bugs, birds, and ants attacking me during the interview so it was pretty hard to concentrate and sound motivated. She kinda BSed along the way saying she had several interviews that day (which I doubt) but that she’d email me the following day. Never happened of course.
This place is run down, old, stinky, and unprofessional. Go to another shelter like Austin Animal Center.
Pros
No kill shelter
Cons
Everything else
Fun and relaxing volunteer job
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 23, 2018
This shelter is so great to volunteer for. Everyone is so nice and you are given a lot of training to work with dogs who need help learning to walk on a leash or feeding newborn kittens and care for them. I highly recommend volunteering here!
it was fun
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 1, 2018
I would recommend people too work here if you love animals dogs in particular I think it was a really good bonding experience for you too grow fond of a dog or many dogs it is not that stressful
Pros
it was fun
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 1, 2017
I loved it here. I worked when I wanted and I learned what it took to take care of an animal. The best part were the people and seeing so many animals getting adopted.
Great Volunteer Job
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 1, 2017
APA was an enriching experience, and left me feeling fullfiled after working there. It was a volunteer job, so no pay, but it was a fun experience in the nonprofit world.
A Rambunctious but Exciting Environment
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 3, 2016
A large place with lots of people and animals running in and around, but fun! I enjoyed meeting new people and taking care of the animals. Definitely would volunteer here again.
Pros
cute animals, kind people, large spaces
Cons
loud, crowded, messy
Friendly volunteering experience
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 19, 2014
I love volunteering at Austin Pets Alive! because of the kind hearted environment. Volunteers are free to come and volunteer whenever works best for them, which is a unique thing that sets APA! apart from other volunteering opportunities.
Incredibly kind volunteers
volunteer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 23, 2013
I adored working here. The people, volunteers and not, were all incredibly friendly and kind-hearted people. We all worked our hardest to provide for the animals and everyone understood the pain a lot of the owners had to go through to give away an animal. It was honestly one of the best work experiences of my short life.
Pros
kind people, cute animals, great experience
Cons
no pay, smelly litter boxes, loud barking, crowded halls