Austin Pets Alive! Employee Review

View all Austin Pets Alive! reviews

Good
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 28, 2018
I had a lot of fun volunteering for them. It was very fullfiling and there was always something to do. Everyone was very nice and helpful when I needed help.
Pros
Animal interaction, nice people
Cons
Too far from home for me to continue volunteering

Other Austin Pets Alive! Employee Reviews

Productive work place.
Shelter Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 15, 2019
I learned how to care for pets in a more compassionate fashion. This place was awesome, a place where I can can work and forget about stress at the same time.
Pros
Working with pets.
Cons
The days ends and I have to go home.
Great mission, struggles with staff mangement
Vet Tech (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 11, 2019
The mission that APA works towards, keeping Austin no kill, is fantastic. Because of this, the staff that are attracted to work there are generally great, and everyone is in it for the right reasons. This sense of community and "all in it together", and putting the animals first, is the greatest thing about working there.

The issues come from upper management. There's such a focus on volunteer retention and foster retention, while staff are seen as expendable or replaceable. Discipline can be harsh or unfair, and great employees end up leaving because no one made them feel valued enough to stay. Rates of pay vary enormously from department to department in an arbitrary way.

I wouldn't recommend working there with the current staff culture, because it's all on you but you get the least amount of latitude and support. However, they treat their volunteers/fosters amazingly and that teamwork culture really thrives in those spheres. If you're committed to helping the animals in Austin, I would highly recommend volunteering or fostering, but find some other way to pay the bills.
Pros
Cheap healthcare/benefits, flexibility to change departments, great animals
Cons
No room for constructive negative feedback, staff receive poor feedback and personal development, little to no training, disorganized management style

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Austin Pets Alive!. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.3InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

3.7Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Austin Pets Alive! Reviews by Location