Austin Pets Alive! Employee Reviews

Great experience, overall wonderful place to work
Dog Counselor (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 19, 2017
It's a very rewarding environment to work in. Overall the staff members are delightful and everyone is working towards one common goal. There is not much room for an advancements or high pay raises but the pay is equivalent to the amount of work you put in. I am only looking for a new job because financially I am struggling to support myself. 5/5 would work here forever if I could
High stress, long hours but rewarding work.
Medical Technician (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 1, 2017
Very rewarding work with very little supervision. There is little satisfaction like helping a sick animal come back to full health and vibrancy. APA, at least in its early years, was a fantastic place to learn animal medicine, as it is extremely hands-on, and the organization was always brought the youngest, oldest, and sickest animals into its care.
Pros
Meaningful work
Cons
Long hours, little compensation, no benefits
Great Volunteer Job
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 1, 2017
APA was an enriching experience, and left me feeling fullfiled after working there. It was a volunteer job, so no pay, but it was a fun experience in the nonprofit world.
I love working at the APA! med clinic.
Vet Tech (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 11, 2017
Very fast paced full service clinic for the animals in APA's care. We do everything from administering oral medications and vaccines to full hospitalization to Parvo ICU to full limb amputation. There is never a dull day in the clinic. My coworkers are fun and easy going while getting the job done well. Clinic manager is very smart, very skilled, and holds people accountable.
The hardest part of the job is taking in the last 9% of animals in Austin's shelter system and addressing their medical needs humanely. Some of them can be made well again, while some of them are humanely euthanized.
The best part of the job is having the Intensive Care patients walk out and into a great new home!
Pros
all the free snuggles
Cons
no breaks
A Rambunctious but Exciting Environment
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 3, 2016
A large place with lots of people and animals running in and around, but fun! I enjoyed meeting new people and taking care of the animals. Definitely would volunteer here again.
Pros
cute animals, kind people, large spaces
Cons
loud, crowded, messy
Awesome Place
Adoption Counselor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 17, 2016
Saving lives is what matters and honestly everyone is super awesome open and it is like family. There are events for staff to just hang out and it was a great place to work.
Very productive and helpful if you love animals
Others - Inventory assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 25, 2016
APA is a great shelter for dogs and cats who don't have permanent homes. As someone who worked there and volunteered, I was able to spend a lot of time with the animals and foster pets. The hardest part of the job was cleaning up after the animals or prevent them from fighting with one another.
Cons
hot days
A great culture
Dog Adoptions Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 12, 2016
Austin is so lucky to have such an amazing place like this available to the shelter animals. The culture is great though there is not much room for movement until someone leaves. You have to be a very dedicated and hard worker to make it here.
Animal Lovers Only
Dog Adoption Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 12, 2016
You wont last a week if you are not there for the animals. The culture of this place is great if you enjoy working very hard and saving animals. Rain or shine, in sickness and in health. It is a rush to be a part of something so unique and so amazing.
Rewarding, life changing experience.
Dog Counselor (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 27, 2015
APA gives someone the chance to connect with the species' humanity has taken under it's wing. We have a responsibility to ensure the well being of the animals that have so beautifully impacted our lives. The shelter environment can be a difficult one to be employed in, but no other organization can offer you the love that our animal companions reserve for us alone.
Pros
Compassionate people, Assisting and educating the general public about dogs and cats, The animals are always happy to see you
Cons
Hazardous work environment that can wear on your nerves/compassion.
Productive organization dedicated to the welfare of companion animals
Grant Writer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 14, 2014
I created a grant proposal for Austin Pets Alive! (APA!), researching funders and synthesizing everything to be submitted to a funder. The proposal was for the medical program at APA!, which is an integral part of APA!'s success. I loved knowing that I was doing something to help animals in the Austin area.
Friendly volunteering experience
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 19, 2014
I love volunteering at Austin Pets Alive! because of the kind hearted environment. Volunteers are free to come and volunteer whenever works best for them, which is a unique thing that sets APA! apart from other volunteering opportunities.
Incredibly kind volunteers
volunteer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 23, 2013
I adored working here. The people, volunteers and not, were all incredibly friendly and kind-hearted people. We all worked our hardest to provide for the animals and everyone understood the pain a lot of the owners had to go through to give away an animal. It was honestly one of the best work experiences of my short life.
Pros
kind people, cute animals, great experience
Cons
no pay, smelly litter boxes, loud barking, crowded halls
Fun workplace that requires dedication and responsibility
Animal Caretaker Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 14, 2013
I walked dogs, administered medication to dogs and cats as needed, assisted in intake procedures, assisted in some clerical and customer service duties, etc. My manager was very helpful and taught me a great deal. Due to the environment, my co-workers and I worked as a team almost everyday.
Pros
how much i learned.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Austin Pets Alive!. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.3InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

3.7Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Austin Pets Alive! Reviews by Location