Autism Society Of North Carolina Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Challenging and Rewarding
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Newport, NCJuly 5, 2018
My typical day involves supporting our full-time team and counselors, campers & their families. I have learned so much about the Autistic spectrum & how to help people with Autism navigate their daily lives. The workplace culture is fun but challenging as we are constantly dealing with ever changing roles, moods and temperaments of our campers, both child & adult. The most enjoyable part of my day would have to be interacting with our campers and their families and knowing the joy they have for our camp. ASNC strives to enhance the lives of people with autism.
Pros
Great company
Cons
hard to get time off when requested
Hourly compensation
Community Support Instructor (Former Employee) –  6 Summit Drive, Asheville, NC 28803May 8, 2018
It was a rewarding opportunity to work for the Austim Society. I enjoy working with clients especially with the children. It was challenging but yet rewarding to be able to assist those in need of empowerment to have a better quality of life.
Pros
It was a rewarding feeling emotionally, also to help those who were unable to function in everyday activities, and learning disabilities
Cons
I felt that it was challenging to not be able to assist all cases of Autism
Fun work environment at center and lots of things to do in the community
Community Skills Instructor (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCMarch 18, 2018
Each day is similar depending on goals and age of the participants you are working with. Hardest part of the job is that progress is very slow and can not be forced, and understanding that it is okay that it can take a very long time for even the smallest amount. Autism is on a spectrum and it is different in everyone who has it.
Pros
Working with and getting to know families.
Cons
No breaks when working 1:1
Camp Counselor (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Newport, NCFebruary 28, 2018
ASNC is a good company to work for. They provide excellent services to the families and try their hardest to meet each child's needs. The counselors gossiped a lot, which I didn't like but management tried everything they could to stop it. Management was very understanding and amazing.
Official response from Autism Society Of North Carolina
March 13, 2018

Thank you for this! We take pride in the services that we provide to the community.

Community Skills
Community Skills Instructor (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCFebruary 19, 2018
Busy but rewarding. The clients are great and the QP's are really involved in the client/family relationships. I recommend all college students/recent grads attempt this position.
Official response from Autism Society Of North Carolina
March 13, 2018

Absolutely! This is a wonderful 1st or 2nd post-graduation position for anyone interested in working in a helping profession.

I love the clients
Community Skills Instructor (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NC 27607February 1, 2018
I loved working with the clients however, I was not at this job long enough to write a fair review. I did meet some great clients and enjoy some nice experiences .
Pros
Working with the clients
Cons
having to work directly in strangers homes
Productive Environment
Community Skills Instructor (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJanuary 31, 2018
great place to work! staff is amazing!
easy going environment
Individuals were
Supervisors were awesome
hour lunch break
Parents of clients were great!
Everyone was strong and positive and worked with parents and the community.
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCJanuary 8, 2018
I loved working for ASNC!
They have a great training program I fully appreciated as a first timers in the field. I learned so much about autism spectrum and my own strengths and weaknesses. They were great at matching me with my client.
Pros
I really enjoy the one on one with clients.giving us the ability to develop a strong relationship
Pretty good
AUTISM SUPPORT STAFF (Current Employee) –  Asheville, NCDecember 29, 2017
Needs more room for advancement and paid time off. Pay could be higher too for what is asked of the staff there, especially with the more difficult clients
Great company to work for
Autism Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Greenville, NCDecember 8, 2017
I transferred to this company from private therapy services with the individual that began receiving services from this company. I took a large pay cut and the company did all they could to make sure that I didn't have the previous work load by adding more employees to work with me. I have treated several individuals and enjoyed the diverse training I receive. The home I am currently working in, is more like a family than most any group home environment I have worked in.
Pros
Residents and employees are supported
Cons
They do not provide AFL services
Productive workplace great staff
Autism Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCNovember 25, 2017
This is a great company to work for. I highly recommend. The staff is nice and work with your needs. Hours may vary based on client needs when working part time as support staff.
Pros
Office staff is great and willing to help
fun
Residential Instructor (Current Employee) –  New Bern, NCOctober 25, 2017
I loved working with the guys and the employees a typical day was to help the guys with daily living activities. I learned more about Autism everyday that I didnt know before working with the guys. I learned about the different behaviors and how to react to them. The culture was family type and it wasnt really a hard part about the job if you like helping others
Poor Management but excellent population in reference to clients
Community Skills Instructor (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCOctober 24, 2017
I enjoyed working with my client and their family. However management was very unprofessional and I didn't feel comfortable talking with her about any issue that may have been taking place.
Wonderful service users
Community Skills Instructor (Current Employee) –  Greenville, NCOctober 20, 2017
The service users are what make the job worth while. But the lack of benefits and continuous fluctuation in hours are extremely hard to cope with. Upper management often put themselves before employees.
Pros
Great service users
Cons
no benefits
Amazing Employment
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCOctober 19, 2017
This was one of the most rewarding jobs I have ever had. I was rewarded not only with a paycheck but with the smiles we were able to give to the campers/clients. This was a tough learning environment but one that would benefit anyone wanting to learn about this field.
Unable to provide an adequate review
Community Skills Instructor (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCOctober 18, 2017
Unable to provide one at this time due to the length of time I was working for the company. Overall, it seemed to be an invovoled company with it's clients.
Great for the autism community
Quality Assurance Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 30, 2017
Really supports individuals on the autism spectrum; great culture and togetherness of the company; a lot of professional development opportunities, especially for those in leadership roles
Awesome workforce
Autism Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCJuly 21, 2017
Great place to work. enjoyed being around clients and co workers not a hard job but requires abundance of patience. would recommend to any eligible to apply. employment process is short and easy.
Great teaching/ learning environment
Community Skills Instructor (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJuly 18, 2017
The company does a great job of ensuring staff are educated and knowledgeable before entering the community to work with individuals with special needs.
Excellent!!
Camp Counselor (Seasonal) (Current Employee) –  Newport, NCJuly 8, 2017
I love working for this nonprofit!! The experience has taught me many different aspects of Autism as well as ways to improve my communication all across the board!! The job is rewarding especially when those you work with succeed in something you've been working on!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Autism Society Of North Carolina. Our community is ready to answer.