Autism Spectrum Therapies Employee Reviews

Very low pay due to reduced rate while driving, low raises, quick turnovers
Behavioral Interventionist (Current Employee) –  Monrovia, CADecember 5, 2018
I’ve been working at AST for nearly a year and just received my first raise. The raise was $0.50 but this only applies whiles I’m in session, not driving which is paid at minimum wage (I spend 1/3 of my workday driving). Company does not care much for its employees who come in as interventionists and prospects of advancement to reach a livable wage require a masters degree and BCBA certification. When hired I was promised full-time hours based only performance (which at every review has been exemplary), and after a year I am STILL part-time. On top of that, clients cancellation means you don’t get paid and very rarely will you actually alternate for someone during that time. The company does not value loyalty nor reward its employees for it. Cases you can receive can be simple babysitting or extremely stressful.

Overall I am very disappointed in this company and how they have not appreciated the hard work of their interventionists who actually implement the plans and deal with the stress. Administrators seem to have their heads in the clouds about how someone could take this job and pay rent/bills with fluctuations in hours and low pay.
Pros
Helping clients develop life skills
Cons
Pay, fluctuating hours, little room for advancement
Great Training
Advanced Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Burbank, CANovember 27, 2018
AST equips you with all the tools you need to succeed before heading out to the field. The ongoing support for growth is strong. I had a bad experience from the get go with the scheduling department (wrong drive time and mileage), I had brought it up to my supervisor’s attention and everything I had expressed was taken out of context. I tried to take it to someone above and nothing was done. I was very flexible in the beginning, worked 12 hour shifts working an extra 5 hour case that needed immediate staffing and went from working full time to working less than 8 hours a week. I was benched after many follow up emails and no response as to whether or not my hours would be reinstated. I personally feel I had bad luck. I never felt like my supervisor was someone I could talk to, I felt that if I asked for support I was punished for it each time, and I know other interventionists with different supervisors that have had experiences completely different from my own.
Pros
Great training, great resources, flexible job, ongoing training.
Cons
Variable schedules, very strict policies, driving, many certifications.
The purpose and people are great! The compensation is not employee friendly!
Behavior Interventionist (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CANovember 14, 2018
Enjoyed the work with children and the coworkers. Admin was great. The employee compensation was not satisfactory. Hour fluxuated so much that if you went below a certain amount, you lost health coverage. Even if it was clients canceling or out sick or too many holidays shortening the hours to meet for minimum hours for health coverage.
Pros
training to keep updated
Cons
pay, health benefits, unreliable hours
Great company
Therapist (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAOctober 30, 2018
Great training and professional managers. I learned a lot about ABA while working there. I got to see many of my students improve and grow which was very fulfilling.
Fun, Challenging, and Rewarding Opportunity
Certified ABA technician (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAOctober 24, 2018
I absolutely loved the time I spent working at AST. The supervisors do an incredible job of making sure Behavior Interventionists are happy and confident in their roles. The children are adorable, and all my coworkers were so sweet. The job can be extremely challenging, but at the end of the day you go home knowing you are making a difference and improving the lives not only of your clients but of their families too. This job requires a ton of patience, compassion, and enthusiasm!
Good if new to the field
Advance Behavior Interventionist (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CAOctober 23, 2018
AST seemed like an okay place to work. They appeared to be very professional in terms of structure, but lacked professionalism in observed performance.

Initially, I applied an Advance Behavior Interventionist (ABI) position but was questioned several times during the hiring and training process as to why I wanted a lower position from my previous Supervisor position in my previous company. When I explained I wanted time for other projects and needed a less intensive position everything seemed okay.

New Hire Training was run extremely well. The Training Interventionist was knowledgeable, engaging, and answered all questions thoroughly. We received training in basic behavior analysis, CPR, and CPI implementation. During training, I was asked if I would consider taking a Training Interventionist position after my initial 6-month phase ended. I agreed to consider the position and when my immediate supervisor found out she was very hostile in her communications with me. My calls frequently went unanswered, emails were always sent late, and when she showed up for client supervisions she would not talk to me unless the BCBA was present. Additionally, when she did show up for supervisions, she never asked about clients, and typically was either on her laptop or on her phone. When I asked questions about reports she directed me to stick to job description. When I reminded her reports were specifically outlined in my job description she redirected me to focus on my client. When the BCBA would arrive, they would talk with my supervisor and I was never asked about my clients or
  more... current programming. When I took baseline data for behaviors I observed that we had yet to address, I took frequency data with a basic operational definition so that my frequency count could be reviewed. When my supervisor finally showed up for a session, she asked me to take data on the behaviors I had been emailing her and texting her about, and when I provided that data she said I shouldn't have taken it yet, even though I made no attempts to overstep boundaries or write a behavior plan myself.

During ABI meetings, leadership stressed the importance of hurrying to begin a masters degree program so that ABI's could be promoted to supervisors, but did not seem to focus on the change in defined responsibilities for the ABI position. It seemed as through the office I was based out of was more focused on expanding and looking good as an office base, and not as concerned about work performance.

Lastly, when we had team training sessions the BCBA sat in corner and did not talk or comment. The immediate supervisors simply read an RBT review guide. When any of the interventionists asked questions regarding the RBT exam the supervisors redirected the questions to anyone who recently took and passed the RBT exam. I offered to provide training materials upon review and acceptance of the supervisors, as I previously trained interventionists to pass the RBT exam prior to working at AST, and the supervisors informed me to worry about my personal caseload. Which bothered me more since it was a group training and we were all supposed to be helping to support each other as a team. The trainings were very non-informative and ineffective. Several other interventionists stated they felt more unprepared after training for their caseloads and the RBT exam. Many asked me to help them privately with any study materials I may have available.

Working at AST became extremely frustrating and unfulfilling. I would never consider working for them again and would only recommend them to somebody new to the field.
Pros
Good initial training
Cons
Terrible leadership
Loved what i did
Behavioral Technician (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 12, 2018
I loved working with the families and the kids but I wasn't getting the hours they told me i would they said with in a few months i would be 30 hours a week I was at 17 a week and they started talking about hiring more people and needing to take one of my two clients away.
Pros
fun, rewarding
Cons
lack of hours
Very supportive management can be a little isolating
Behavioral Technician (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 5, 2018
The kids are amazing and staff is really supportive. You do learn a lot on the job but it can be a little lonely, as you go out into the field on your own most of the time. Hours can be a little inconsistent at first, so if you need full time hours you will probably have to stick it out for at least a few months.
Fun and rewarding environment
Behavior Therapist (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, CASeptember 28, 2018
Being able to hrlp kids on the spectrum and have the support from management is amazing! They are always there when you need them and your Clinical Supervisor always checks in on you.
Fun place to Work
Behavioral Therapist (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CASeptember 18, 2018
I had alot of fun and learned the different ways to help families and the child through their day to day routines and activities

Everything was loaded on the Ipads, so that made life easier and less paper and folders to carry around
Large company with a vision to support those with disabilities
Behavioral Therapist/ Interventionist (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CASeptember 10, 2018
I am grateful for the support and direction Autism Spectrum Therapies offered me in perusing a career of working with individuals with special needs and disabilities.
productive work place
Clinical Service Associate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 6, 2018
Autism Spectrum Therapies is a company with a great cause. Unfortunately the company's scheduling department lacks structure. They offer voluntary overtime but the position has so many expectations that the overtime is almost a requirement to reach deadlines.
Pros
Overtime
Cons
No formal training
When I worked there, it was a great environment to be in.
Contracts Administrator (Former Employee) –  Monrovia, CAAugust 6, 2018
In the finance department, our CFO had incentives for his team when we would meet our financial goals. Because of this, our team felt valued for all our hard work. They have a different CFO now, so I am not sure how the work environment is now.
Pros
Candy in every office
Cons
not much room for advancement
Workplace that gives you purpose in life
Behavior Interventionist (Former Employee) –  Burbank, CAAugust 2, 2018
The job is tough but seeing the improvement in clients makes you feel purposeful in life. Typically you go to a school and later a home to provide 1-on-1 ABA services.
Great career growth
Behavioral Therapist (Former Employee) –  Vacaville, CAJuly 27, 2018
I learned a tremendous amount and felt like I had grown professionally and personally for any situation. It is a grueling but soul rewarding job. It teaches you to stretch your limits and honor your boundaries. Relationships are key. Be of service to your families and be receptive to your supervisors.
the support is amazing, driving is rough
ABA therapist (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 25, 2018
I love the endless suport from this job. It isnt for the faint of heart, I have worked with some kids that give me a run for my money, but at the end of the day I love working with them.
Pros
endless support
Cons
driving
Great and ethical company
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 24, 2018
Really enjoyed my employment at the company and now regret leaving them. They Know what they're doing and you will learn from all their trainings and your colleagues. There room for advancement as they hire within. I highly recommend working and learning from there.
Pros
Good environment, great coworkers, ethical
Cons
Low pay at times for all the work they expect
Interesting Position
Behavioral Therapist (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CAJuly 10, 2018
I enjoyed my time with Autism Spectrum Therapies. I had minor issues with direct manager. However, the rest of the staff was very helpful and encouraging.
Awesome Company and Supportive Staff
Board Certified Autism Technician (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJuly 10, 2018
Supervisors at AST have taught me a lot about ABA. Working with kids can be tough but it is a rewarding job especially when families notice improvements on their kids. AST is a great place to work at except the job can be a bit isolating for interventionists.
Pros
Mileage reimbursement, paid cancellation but depends
Cons
Work can be isolating
Lone worker
Behavior Interventionist (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAJuly 2, 2018
If you’re ok with working with little to no contact with other employees this company is the place for you. I enjoy working with my coworkers and picking their brains to help my clients on their programs. This company didn’t make me feel welcome. The work and the kids were amazing though!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Autism Spectrum Therapies. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

3.3InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

3.9Career Opportunities

3.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight