Auto-Owners Insurance Employee Reviews

Poor leadership...
Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MINovember 28, 2018
Due to inconsistent leadership, and training I would not recommend this employer to anyone.

They grossly under-pay their employees, and seem more concerned with the status quo than to be innovators in this regard.
Great Place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCSeptember 25, 2018
Team was great. They really cared about the people. Always willing to help and grow with the company. Made a lot of life long friends here. Great place to grow your career
Excellent work enviroment
Claims Associate, Insurance Claims Clerk (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCSeptember 6, 2018
Manager was always pushing employees to be better and to work together as a team. Encouragement was made to advance within the company. Never stressful as we always worked hard at finding a solution to the problems at hand.
Multiple areas of interest
Business Analyst Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MISeptember 1, 2018
Relationships are a core value and it is obvious that associates have good internal relationships with one another and are encouraged to have positive working relationships with outside agents in the community.
Nice place to work
Audit Processor & Commercial Lines CSR (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCAugust 28, 2018
I enjoyed working for Auto Owners Insurance. I left because I received a better job offer making more money than they were paying at the time. If I had the opportunity I would consider working for them again.
Pros
Great staff and benefits
Cons
None that I can think of
Fun anvironment and good company to work
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIAugust 14, 2018
Auto-Owners is a very good company that treats their employees with respect. I would recommend to anyone who is looking for a job in insurance with a regional property casualty insurance company to consider Auto-Owners as a top choice.
Terrible
Regional Catastrophe Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 19, 2018
Manager was unfair. micro managed every single aspect of the job. Allowed for no variances, even when it did not affect to amount or quality of the work produced.
Old school culture with poor pay
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  MissouriJuly 11, 2018
Be prepared to get paid low wages and be monitored very closely. Very little opportunity for advancement unless you are willing to move to Lansing, MI.
Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 4, 2018
I had to fight all the way thru that place for 22 years what a big let down let again and again micromanagement to intern that don't no anything about there job that has been handed to them
Pros
1hour
Cons
Good company but supervisor was not helpful
Commercial Lines Underwriter (Current Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAJune 10, 2018
Direct supervisor was difficult to work with and unwilling to instruct on what was needed to be successful in the job. Co-workers are great and the job was really good with the exception of my supervisor.
Pros
Great work place
Cons
Really poor communication and instruction from supervisor
It can be a great company
Life Underwriting Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIJune 6, 2018
It can be a great company if you have the right leadership team working with you and for you to help you advance.

The hours are great and we do get Personal time, sick time, and vacation days. We also get retirement and a pension.
Environment Positive workplace
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Lake ELmo, MinnesotaJune 5, 2018
Everyone was very job focused and friendly. Very posititve in helping other succeed. Management was always available to answer questions with an open door policy. For me it was a new job all together, but I feel I covered a lot of ground and learned quite a bit just from my team. Teams of other departments were always very friendly and checking in on me as well to help me grow in the position I worked in.
Pros
Kind and helpful people, 1 hour lunch breaks.
Cons
Reviews only pertain to employees not temps.
Low pay and very stressful.
Commercial Lines Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Appleton, WIMay 14, 2018
There is little to no support from management in the Appleton branch. Most difficult decisions that I have had to make were overridden by management to the benefit of the agency.
Pros
Good work/life balance
Cons
Low pay, high stress
Auto-Owners
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIMay 9, 2018
Auto-Owners Insurance Company is a great place to work. Auto-Owners Insurance Company provides very good opportunities for employees within the company and people looking to join the company.
FIELD CLAIM REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MOMay 9, 2018
Good place to work. Claims and underwriting work together nicely. Large work spaces with activities to involve employees together. Great benefits and bonus opportunities.
Interesting corporate culture
Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIMay 8, 2018
A solid company, writes business in lot of states, so being transferred is almost a given. There's a lot of training, but not much room for advancement. Strict chain of command and procedures.
Great family company
Training Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIMarch 18, 2018
This is a great company to work for if you have a family. Stable employment, decent salary, excellent benefits. If looking for stable employment, I highly recommend Auto-Owners Insurance.
Pros
Benefits, profit sharing, stable employment
Cons
Insurance industry, limited advancement in certain departments
Secure company
Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIFebruary 11, 2018
Very secure company to work for. Benefits include 401k, health care, dental and vision. You are given tasks to work on most days either through email or being asked.
Pros
Work 37.5 hrs per week
Cons
Parking lot is filling up
Challenging daily
Representative (Current Employee) –  Florence, SCFebruary 5, 2018
Auto-Owners and the claims industry is very challenging, both personally and professionally. Typical workday includes answer phone calls, returning messaging, investigating claims, and basically dealing with problems. Almost every single point-of-contact made as problem or issue they are looking to you to resolve. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing you have helped somebody in need!
Workers' Compensation Claim Representative
Branch Claim Representative/Workers Compensation (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJanuary 30, 2018
Investigation and processing of work injury claims. Answering phone and making contact with the insured and worker that same day. Fast paced and constant changes of expectations from the workers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Auto-Owners Insurance. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight