Auto-Owners Insurance
55Below average

Auto-Owners Insurance Employee Reviews

United States199 reviews
Not too much fun, poor training process
Very poor training process...not structural. You mostly trains yourself with no classroom training, just reading and online training courses. The branch training process was one hour a day for about two weeks, and Management has high expectations for the new employee to be ready to run with the work. I would never recommend anyone to work in the company branch office, Management set you up for failure right off the back. They also show favoritism towards their younger employees!!!!
Run
Hope you are ready to be micromanaged and make no progression in the company. The more work you do the more work you get and the less work you do the less work you get. Except when you do more work you don't get promoted or compensated. Those who do less work do not face recourse for it. So it promotes laziness and if you are good worker you'll watch the lazy people still get raises, which is rare, as you continue do their work too. The management isn't qualified for their job and don't know what they are doing. They will micromanage you the whole time you are there and like another said "Your salary is low. It will never be competitive. They only reward people who work there for 50 years and then retire there. You're expected to work casual (unpaid) overtime." All of which is true. They will not close down for hurricanes even if its a category 5 until the morning it is to hit so if you want to prepare you will have to use personal time. Same with blizzards. They truly don't care about their employees. It's amazing the company is still in business. Find work elsewhere.
Very secret company on employee satisfaction
They have a turn over rate that is off the charts. They send people packing the day they giver notice. No exit interviews. The turnover rate is has to be one of the highest in the industry. Company covers up all employee complaints. They have no respect for anyone that has not worked at AO their entire career. Very close minded, they only promote people who started at AO only, people are in management positions who are simply not qualified.
Very good place to work
The day is always different and you can become very successful at Auto-Owners. They are a great company with great values who value their employees. Great place to work.
A great place to work...
This is a good, stable company to work for. One of the very few companies that still provides a pension. Although base salary is lower than the industry average, the multiple bonuses that are paid out throughout the year makes total compensation above average. Onboarding and training programs are very structured and helpful. Senior management has developed a positive workplace culture and the company strives to promote from within. Corporate headquarters and training centers are located in Lansing, MI.
Care to share?
Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.
Great Company, but information silos persist
The best and worst part about this organization is the libertarian approach toward the work. There is variation in management philosophy and best practices between branch offices and regions.
Large bonuses for company performance
I was overqualified for the position when I accepted it but was promised that opportunities for advancement would come up. I waited six years before leaving.
Good company
Good company.
Promotes from within.

Very up on current employment opportunities.

Treats employees very well.

Community focused.

Education recommendations.
Good
I have learned a lot working here. The drive for me wasnt the best. I lived almost an hour away. They treat you like family. It definitely was a pleasure working there.
Great company
Good benefits and a culture that encourages opportunity, growth, and success. Very demanding at times if working in claims. Good HR support and management support.
Overall good company
Would like something closer to home, better pay for all the hard work i do. I am very dependable, always work hard everyday including completing others work
Summer Internship
During my internship during the summer. I was forced to relocate to the HQ branch in Lansing without any compensation for this. Once there, training took over half of the time that I was employed there. Training was extensive and redundant to what I already knew.
Long hard work days but the day was excellent
Long hard work days but the day was excellent. I got to work with my grandma so it was hard but auto-owners was very accommodating and helpful when and where they could be.
Great culture
The management gives good encouragement. The other employees created a great environment. The day to day work is extremely stressful. High work load, overtime is needed to complete tasks.
Great place to work!
As a Commercial Underwriter I have been trained in most lines. The culture and management are above average in my experience. The benefits are great as well. Most vertical opportunities require relocating to the home office location in Michigan.
Do not work for this company
Horrible company to work for do not take a job there. Conservative company that requires you to work 80 hours but only pay for 40 hours. They do not post jobs for internal candidates .
Great Company, Great People, Great Management
All of the people I work with are amazing. Everyone is so welcoming and will take their time to help you learn your role. I have been here for 6 months so far and still go to my mentor now and then if I have a question. Overall, I love the work environment and the people I am surrounded by on a daily basis. Also, as an Intern, they let you shadow different departments within the company in case you find something other than Underwriting catches your interest.
Great company
I just could not please my direct supervisor. She holds a grudge over a problem with issues of taking her word on things and not being treated fairly.
Hard job but great benefits
Auto-Owners has good morals and reveres honesty. Great benefits and pension which is very rare these days. But claim handling is tough as AO has high expectations and adjusters have little support on claims. AO still handles claims "from cradle to grave". which means adjusters handles entire claim. Makes claim handling stressfull due to lack of support.
Pros
benefits and bonuses are generous. company has good moral standards
Cons
hard and stressful
Great
Great place to work. We help people put their lives back together after a catastrophic event. Good benefits and good coworkers that make coming to work fun.
Decent job with decent pay
Everyone always says it’s a good company to work for but when you want to switch departments to better yourself and go make more money they don’t let you.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Auto-Owners Insurance. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
2.9
InHerSight Score
2.7Personal Development
3.4Career Opportunities
2.6Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight