Auto-Owners Insurance Employee Reviews

Productive and Diverse work - very friendly & team oriented atmosphere
Branch Clerk (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJanuary 30, 2019
My job as Branch Clerk was one of my most favorite jobs. It was diverse and challenging. I was able to learn a lot. Co-workers are very team oriented. It's a very fun place to work, birthdays were celebrated and there were always fun activities going on.
Pros
Benefits, coworkers
Summer Internship
UNDERWRITER-INTERN (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJanuary 23, 2019
Auto-Owners is a great company. If you are looking for a summer internship this is a great place with lots of opportunities. You will not be a regular intern who goes and gets coffee, instead you will be trained like a regular associate to help with the work load.
Pros
Culture is positive
Cons
Conservative company
Steer clear.
Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJanuary 13, 2019
Working at Auto-Owners Insurance was the biggest mistake I ever made in my life. They do not care about their employees and management is a total joke. People get promoted based on how long they've been at the company. Majority of managers don't even know how to do their jobs because they lack the knowledge needed for their position and common sense.
Pros
None.
Cons
Everything.
Family Oriented
Underwriting Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIJanuary 3, 2019
Great place to work especially for families. good work and family life balance. Flexible if family emergencies arise. Many job opportunities within the company.
Fair, friendly, understanding place to work
Litigation Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLDecember 28, 2018
Would talk to attorney about upcoming day. Would prioritize my work. Start my day. Review my emails and handle necessary work. Return phone calls, make sure any faxes received were dealt with. Etc.
Pros
4 our of 6 people were friends
Cons
Always one person who knows everything or think she/he does
Limited opportunities if you are a woman who has an opinion.
Commercial Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIDecember 22, 2018
Male manager doesn't want to give women who have more knowledge than him a fair shake. He specifically said if you want to move forward, you must be a yes person- what he really meant is agree with him although he may be wrong.
Poor leadership...
Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MINovember 28, 2018
Due to inconsistent leadership, and training I would not recommend this employer to anyone.

They grossly under-pay their employees, and seem more concerned with the status quo than to be innovators in this regard.
Great Place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCSeptember 25, 2018
Team was great. They really cared about the people. Always willing to help and grow with the company. Made a lot of life long friends here. Great place to grow your career
Great first job
Programmer Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MISeptember 19, 2018
I went to Auto Owners right out of college and it was a tremendous first job. I sometimes wish I would have stayed and would like to return now. But, the pay was a little below normal for the area so I moved on.
Pros
Nice Workplace
Cons
Late with new technology
Excellent work enviroment
Claims Associate, Insurance Claims Clerk (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCSeptember 6, 2018
Manager was always pushing employees to be better and to work together as a team. Encouragement was made to advance within the company. Never stressful as we always worked hard at finding a solution to the problems at hand.
Multiple areas of interest
Business Analyst Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MISeptember 1, 2018
Relationships are a core value and it is obvious that associates have good internal relationships with one another and are encouraged to have positive working relationships with outside agents in the community.
Nice place to work
Audit Processor & Commercial Lines CSR (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCAugust 28, 2018
I enjoyed working for Auto Owners Insurance. I left because I received a better job offer making more money than they were paying at the time. If I had the opportunity I would consider working for them again.
Pros
Great staff and benefits
Cons
None that I can think of
Fun anvironment and good company to work
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIAugust 14, 2018
Auto-Owners is a very good company that treats their employees with respect. I would recommend to anyone who is looking for a job in insurance with a regional property casualty insurance company to consider Auto-Owners as a top choice.
Terrible
Regional Catastrophe Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 19, 2018
Manager was unfair. micro managed every single aspect of the job. Allowed for no variances, even when it did not affect to amount or quality of the work produced.
Old school culture with poor pay
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  MissouriJuly 11, 2018
Be prepared to get paid low wages and be monitored very closely. Very little opportunity for advancement unless you are willing to move to Lansing, MI.
Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 4, 2018
I had to fight all the way thru that place for 22 years what a big let down let again and again micromanagement to intern that don't no anything about there job that has been handed to them
Pros
1hour
Cons
Good company but supervisor was not helpful
Commercial Lines Underwriter (Current Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAJune 10, 2018
Direct supervisor was difficult to work with and unwilling to instruct on what was needed to be successful in the job. Co-workers are great and the job was really good with the exception of my supervisor.
Pros
Great work place
Cons
Really poor communication and instruction from supervisor
Environment Positive workplace
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Lake ELmo, MinnesotaJune 5, 2018
Everyone was very job focused and friendly. Very posititve in helping other succeed. Management was always available to answer questions with an open door policy. For me it was a new job all together, but I feel I covered a lot of ground and learned quite a bit just from my team. Teams of other departments were always very friendly and checking in on me as well to help me grow in the position I worked in.
Pros
Kind and helpful people, 1 hour lunch breaks.
Cons
Reviews only pertain to employees not temps.
Low pay and very stressful.
Commercial Lines Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Appleton, WIMay 14, 2018
There is little to no support from management in the Appleton branch. Most difficult decisions that I have had to make were overridden by management to the benefit of the agency.
Pros
Good work/life balance
Cons
Low pay, high stress
Auto-Owners
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIMay 9, 2018
Auto-Owners Insurance Company is a great place to work. Auto-Owners Insurance Company provides very good opportunities for employees within the company and people looking to join the company.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Auto-Owners Insurance. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight