Automobile Club of Southern California Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Very competitive, high goal expectations, complex compensation plan
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 20, 2018
Good job for anyone without a family and eager to make money with no time to spend it
Very competitive, high goal expectations, complex compensation plan
Pros
Great pay
Cons
No time for family
An average place to get stuck for life, so don't.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Orange County, CAAugust 12, 2018
Company is just starting to understand employee engagement. In order to better attract and retain staff they are looking to hire people with heavy retail and sales experience. Why? Because not having to work on Sundays looks like a big advantage to them where professionals and many college grads look negatively on having to work every Saturday or at the least every other Saturday.

Branch employees are not scheduled for two days off in a row unless they use vacation time requested several months in advance.

It's a not-for-profit organization that for many years now has moved towards increasing profits first and customer service second. It's obvious to employees who've been here over 10 years and to many of our members. The top doesn't think so, but a majority of communications with employees is on selling "offering" new services that bring in additional revenue. During most in office, phone, mail, and email communications with members there is an offer to sell them something to increase revenue.

Unlike publicly traded companies and true non-profit organizations, AAA is not required to and doesn't publish executive salaries and bonuses, profit and loss statements, or share how their income is distributed and utilized. They do often tell potential recruits that they are debt free with over $6 billion in assets. The public, their members, their employees, and the state deserve more transparency on where all their revenue is going and if salaries are as lopsided at AAA as they are in many cooperations between the lowest salaries and benefits and the executive salaries,
  more... benefits, and bonuses.

Managers are often moved around a lot and are required to be able to work anywhere within 50 miles of where they live.
Pros
Solid company, decent benefits, job security.
Cons
Working every other or every Saturday, Not getting two days off in a row, Worn out furniture, Break rooms where broken furniture from other parts of the office is put to rest, Most training and experience from AAA will not transfer to outside jobs/careers
I enjoyed working at AAA
Sales Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAAugust 8, 2018
I enjoyed working at AAA but my family and I had to relocate. I also resigned from AAA because I wanted to be able to stay home with my son until he was of preschool age.
Glued to the phone
Field Sales Agent-Insurance (Former Employee) –  Valencia, CAJuly 31, 2018
Although AAA provides an outstanding training program for new employees they certainly tie your hands when it comes to selling products. You will spend long days, evenings and even some Saturdays (min. 50-60 hours per week) prospecting ice cold lead sheets or when you are able to quote a prospect (because you have told them about the $$ saved thru bundling home and auto) it usually turns out that the company will decline the home due to fire line issues and you've just lost their trust. Lots of quota pressure every month, commissions not as advertised
Pros
No Lead Expenses
Cons
No Life
Workplace
Universal Agent II (Former Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAJuly 28, 2018
AAA is a very good company to work for, if i had it my way i would have stayed but due to company needs and me being one of the top Customer service agents in my department, I was not given the time needed to care for my mom, so I had to make the hardest decision of my life to resign from the company.
Pros
Competitive Salary
Cons
Management is not always on the same page
Very demanding and stressful environment
Policy service specialist II (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 30, 2018
Your typical day includes "a must" to cross sell company products to members such as credit cards, make life insurance referrals and recommendations to people to get their home owners insurance with the company.
It just all depends
Branch Member Specialist (Current Employee) –  Santa Clarita, CAJune 30, 2018
Autoclub trains you to do DMV work, and you have to upsell and cross sell products that AutoClub provides. It's Sales! If you don't sell, your job is on the line.
Pros
health benefits
Cons
low pay for all the DMV work. They should start you at 20 an hour.
Great Place to Work
Customer Service Representative / Lead Man Trainer (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJune 25, 2018
It was a great place to work, for those who like working with people and serving others doing customer service work. Sometimes can be extremely fast paced.
Pros
Pleasant workspace
Cons
Available shifts
Horrible
Insurance Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJune 21, 2018
They work you like there is no tomorrow. Agents steal other agents policies. The culture in the company lacks highly. There is no respect for anyone that works there, no support from management and it feels like they take only one person’s side of the story
Fun activities for employers and good bonuses
Membership, Auto Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAJune 12, 2018
Working in the call center was very time managed. I learned a lot about auto insurance that I never really knew which helps me now make better decisions for my own insurance. The one thing I enjoyed was how helpful my co-workers were to each other. The hardest part of the job was having to take incoming calls right after your last call, sometimes members made your job a little more difficult by the way they would speak to me over the phone. I wasn't given time to cool down and take breather I had to take the next call right away which was hard specially after having a bad experience with a previous customer.
Pros
401K, Full time, Medical, dental, vision insurance
Cons
Time managed
Great company to be a team player
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 7, 2018
Need excellent management skills, Team effort, good communication skills, problem solving and excellent opportunities to increase knowledge and get a raise.
Pros
Great incentives
Cons
Should have a night shift
Csr
Claims & Insurance service specialist (Former Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAMay 23, 2018
I assisted customers with their existing insurance policies and did do some accident claims towards the end. I feel I was held back by management as I was always assisting coworkers but never given a supervisor role
Save yourself
Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 11, 2018
AAA was not the best company in the world. Worked you to the bone and terrible micromanagement! They company has changed drastically over the past decade. Not in a good way
TRAVEL AGENT (Former Employee) –  Camarillo, CAMay 8, 2018
Solid company. I would work for them again. They train you well but the compensation doesn't always match the work load. Always room for movement. Good benifits.
Fast paced and productive
INSURANCE SALES CLERK (Former Employee) –  Los Alamitos, CAMay 1, 2018
You have to sale in order to move up in the company. The best part about working was the happy costumers , and coworkers. Each branch was way understaffed and the employees suffered
Cons
not enough employees
Great place to work from start to retirement
Claims Service Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAApril 30, 2018
Great productive environment filled with professionals that love what they do. They encourage growth from within. Management at least tries to work at at keeping things professional and non confrontational unlike most companies.
Pros
Very laid back. No Micromanagement
Cons
Its so big trying to plan your career path takes alot of networking.
Busy environment
Branch Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CAApril 20, 2018
The environment around the office was very intense, due to high member traffic. It forced us to perform at a higher and more intense level than other offices.
Pros
long breaks
Cons
working on saturdays
Performance Based on Chance
Insurance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAApril 20, 2018
It was expected that agents in the call center make so many successful referrals/transfers for other products each month. Entire bonuses would be predicated on having met these referral quotas. Coaching to improve techniques in making referrals would only be provided at the 11th hour of each month with little or no opportunity to save your monthly bonuses. Lunches were limited to 45 minutes. Strict adherence to your break schedule was expected, despite the possibility that a call may last into your scheduled lunch (thus making that 45 minute lunch even shorter. My first supervisor was very pro-active and would even ask to have these kinds of call transferred to her so her staff could go to lunch. My last supervisor only wanted transferred calls for 'escalated' issues.
Pros
Modest Pay, Friendly Coworkers
Cons
Inconsistent Management Standards
Mean manager
Senior Recruiter (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 18, 2018
The recruiting manager created a hostile environment. I was lied to when I took a promotion. Also other things occurred which I choose to not disclose.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Not a fit for me at that time of my life
Associate Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  United StatesApril 18, 2018
Conservative culture to continue doing what they have always done in terms of marketing, not much of a challenge. Not conducive to the work life balance I needed at the time.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Automobile Club of Southern California. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight