Automobile Club of Southern California Employee Reviews

Insurance Agent Direct Sales (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 8, 2018
Great place to work if you handle your business, meaning, you conduct your self professionally & meet your goals ... sky is the limit. Managers are flexible and help you move to other areas fairly easy. Best of all the training here is absolutely the best. It’s tough but it is fun and you truly learn the sales process & it is lifelong. You never forget the training and you’re a better sales professional for going through it.
Pros
Many career options
Cons
Long hours can cut into work/life balance
Great working environment at the beginning and then company began making changes on a regular basis and less compensation for the insurance agents
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Alhambra, CAOctober 5, 2018
I began working for AAA starting October 2007 and was in training for six months and officially became an insurance agent on April 1st 2008. As the years go by half of my businesses are through referrals due to additional add ons of insurance agents from five agents when I started to currently nine agents
Pros
Unlimited potential incomes
Cons
Too many agents in an office, change in reduction in compensation, uncompetitive insurance premiums in comparison to other insurance carriers.
if you want to be a robot this is the place for you
Emergency Roadside Assistant (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAOctober 4, 2018
you can take up to 90-100 calls a day of this same thing over and over sometimes. it was so repetitive. challenging when people had no idea where they were. your time on the phone is always being watched. when you log off the phone to go to the bathroom that is being watched as well. you have no control of the calls coming in. its easy one you learn the job which can take a good 3 months. management is constantly gossiping and talking about everyone. they get annoyed when you ask questions. you really dont get to know anybody there because you are constantly on the phone. i can see the same person for months and not even know their name. one thing i did enjoy about the job is the set schedule and you can bid for a better schedule if you keep your scores up, so adherence and referrals to approved repair shops count.
Pros
you get about 4 hours of vacation every pay period, so about every 15 days.
Cons
taking up to 100 calls per day
Call center
Policy Service Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 3, 2018
AAA is a very diverse workplace. It is a very stable employment opportunity. Everyday on the phone and experiencing many different types of phone calls. Hardest part of the job is having to deal with escalation calls.
Pros
Free lunches (sometimes), employee appreciation (receive gifts from the day or week)
Cons
Have to work hard for the best time schedule.
Fast pace environment
ERS Receiver (Current Employee) –  Burbank, CAOctober 2, 2018
As stated above, AAA is a fast pace environment. This place teaches you patience, empathy, and teamwork. New manager there is someone who genuinely cares. Hardest part of the job is dealing with unreasonable, disrespectful members. Most enjoyable part of my job is helping people in their time of need.
Careful with Eric Vides
N/A (Former Employee) –  National Canyon, AZOctober 1, 2018
He’s a Recruiting agent, and he’s disrespectful and aggressive. Takes forever taking an interview and takes long pauses in between not knowing what to ask.
Sales Agent (Current Employee) –  Escondido, CAOctober 1, 2018
The best part about AAA was you do get paid the work put in. Commission was good and hitting goal as well as making sure accuracy was above 98% motivated you to keep making money. The only problem was there is zero work life balance. Even if you hit goal you were expected to keep selling. working 130 hours every two weeks was a norm.
Pros
great pay
Cons
no work/life balance
I wish I were still there
Team Manager - Automobile Claims (Former Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CASeptember 24, 2018
I loved this position. I enjoyed the work and had the ability to make a difference. It included the ability to be creative as well, which I enjoyed along with the daily tasks that had to be done.
Pros
Almost everything.
Aaa
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  West Hollywood, CASeptember 20, 2018
This was a great experience working for AAA. I enjoyed working for The Automobile Club of Southern California. Meeting prospective clients on a daily bases in the office and providing the opportunity to become insured with a highly ranked insurer was great.
Pros
great work enviroment
Cons
some weekend
Fast paced
Member Service Representative IV (Current Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CASeptember 19, 2018
It offers good benefits to employees.

You have to be flexible and ready to roll with the changes.
Overall the company is becoming more focused on employee
satisfaction. The current CEO is doing a good job of making
employees feel appreciated. Keep up the good work.
Great Opportunities to earn a living
Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 14, 2018
This is a really good company to work for. They hire lifers at AAA, you can easily make a living here and retire here. Sales is a very stressful environment but there are many other business segments and avenues you can move.
Pros
Great Benefits
Mixed Feelings
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CASeptember 11, 2018
I've been in multiple departments and positions over the last few years and have very mixed feelings. Some departments are more lax while others can be overbearing. The culture is old school, but over the last year - management has made an effort to catch up with other companies. It's definitely a slow process. The company is very stable and will be around for years but your experience will depend greatly on what department and manager you report to.
Enjoyed working environment, management was excellent, work was diverse enough to keep me learning.
Branch Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Downey, CASeptember 11, 2018
I very much enjoyed the work environment, my coworkers felt more like family. My manager was a dream come true - someone who offered positive feedback and coaching opportunities, never negative. The work itself was so diverse, there was never an opportunity to become bored, I learned new things daily. In fact, I would still be working there if I hadn't had to move 400 miles away for family reasons.
Run away as fast as you can.
Insurance Service Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 31, 2018
unless you live and breath sales, dont do it. The culture changed when the leadership changed around 2014-2015. i dont really want to say more.........
Stable & Dependable
ERS AGENT (Current Employee) –  Burbank, CAAugust 28, 2018
Call Center position, long hours, no down time between calls. Management is in and out but it's nice to go in and work and come out. Good Benefits and nice salary for starting. It is hard to get your foot in the door or to be given added training to enhance your position. Hard to take time off. Hours are not flexible, hardly any sick time or personal leave benefits which makes it hard to balance personal life.

Call Center is stressful and no time between calls.
Pros
dependable and good benefits
Cons
Non Flexible Schedule
Aaa
Insurance Agent - Los Angeles Branch (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 24, 2018
Great place to make money if you are a sales agent. it is stressful at times but if you put time into and give your self all that you got, you will surely be happy.
Pros
money
Cons
life and home balance
Not what I expected!
Emergency Roadside Representative (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAAugust 22, 2018
My biggest concern is their training for Emergency Roadside. I’ve been on the phone for a few months and still don’t know everything I need to know. You pretty much deal with it when you get on the phone. I didn’t know we have to pitch repair shops to go to in the interview. I thought we just had to send out help. It’s a repetitive job saying the same thing over & over again. Also, they’re always hiring! Red Flag!
Pros
You can keep your schedule forever
Cons
Very hard to work from home
Very competitive, high goal expectations, complex compensation plan
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 20, 2018
Good job for anyone without a family and eager to make money with no time to spend it
Very competitive, high goal expectations, complex compensation plan
Pros
Great pay
Cons
No time for family
great place to work for millenials
Auto claims representative (Current Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAAugust 19, 2018
this a great place to work if you're straight out of college. Auto club is very conservative and old school with embarrassingly outdated technology. Not much of any advancement. The worst part is the pay, its really bad. Alot of other insurance carriers pay way more.
Pros
name brand recognition
Cons
pay
An average place to get stuck for life, so don't.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Orange County, CAAugust 12, 2018
Company is just starting to understand employee engagement. In order to better attract and retain staff they are looking to hire people with heavy retail and sales experience. Why? Because not having to work on Sundays looks like a big advantage to them where professionals and many college grads look negatively on having to work every Saturday or at the least every other Saturday.

Branch employees are not scheduled for two days off in a row unless they use vacation time requested several months in advance.

It's a not-for-profit organization that for many years now has moved towards increasing profits first and customer service second. It's obvious to employees who've been here over 10 years and to many of our members. The top doesn't think so, but a majority of communications with employees is on selling "offering" new services that bring in additional revenue. During most in office, phone, mail, and email communications with members there is an offer to sell them something to increase revenue.

Unlike publicly traded companies and true non-profit organizations, AAA is not required to and doesn't publish executive salaries and bonuses, profit and loss statements, or share how their income is distributed and utilized. They do often tell potential recruits that they are debt free with over $6 billion in assets. The public, their members, their employees, and the state deserve more transparency on where all their revenue is going and if salaries are as lopsided at AAA as they are in many cooperations between the lowest salaries and benefits and the executive salaries,
  more... benefits, and bonuses.

Managers are often moved around a lot and are required to be able to work anywhere within 50 miles of where they live.
Pros
Solid company, decent benefits, job security.
Cons
Working every other or every Saturday, Not getting two days off in a row, Worn out furniture, Break rooms where broken furniture from other parts of the office is put to rest, Most training and experience from AAA will not transfer to outside jobs/careers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Automobile Club of Southern California. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.9

2.9Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight