AutoZone Employee Reviews

Found 7,729 reviews matching the search See all 8,136 reviews
Productive place with advancement in pay over time
Outbound selector (Former Employee) –  Danville, ILJanuary 2, 2019
Autozone Warehouse is a great place to work regardless what shift you are on. A typical day is either picking parts and taking the finished order to the dock, or replacing parts that run out or are low. I learned how to stack really well, ride a double rider, train others on how to do the job, clean up spills, and make the most of my time. The management is exceptional and go above and beyond what they are required to do. They come around constantly to ensure you are being safe, performing your duties right, and picking what is required. They help you if you are struggling to make rate or stacking correctly. The hardest part of this job is making rate and being able to pull at a constant rate to ensure your rate stays where it needs to stay.
Pros
Multiple breaks, nice pay and benefits, great team and management
Cons
Long hours and heavy parts at times
Company values money more than employees
Commercial Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Elkins, WVJanuary 8, 2019
Not a overall bad company to work for besides the company does not follow their own policies ( returns, warranties etc ). Upper management does not take in consideration of employees opinions or ideas making a employee feel that their thoughts and ideas are not wanted. Company sides with customers either be it DIY or COMMERCIAL and only listens to their side no questions asked. There is a high turn over rate for a reason ( regional and corporate management )
Pros
Paid vacations, which recently was guaranteed but, now an employee has to build their vacation hours up, benefits and bonus program for full time employees
Cons
No benefits for part time employees, policies contradict theirselves, employee rewards are non existant even though the company praises they do and that list goes on.
It's not for everyone.....
National Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 11, 2018
The job is not for everyone, but it's not horrible either. The technology they use to drive their daily operations is outdated and not efficient. Their vacation policy really needs reviewing...you get two paid weeks a year and do not move up to three weeks until you've been there 7 years! They have a "cheer" like Walmart that you have to chant at the beginning of every meeting. Lot's of managers with ego and on power trips and if you're not management, they look down on you. However, with that being said, they do encourage you to grow and apply from within and I have met so really amazing people. Pay is a little higher than most places and health benefits are average.
Pros
Pay, Career Development
Cons
Attitude of management, holier than thou
Fearful to Ask Questions
Red Shirt (Current Employee) –  Glendale, AZDecember 19, 2018
The manager is extremely disorganized, you are lucky to get your work schedule that starts on Sunday by Friday. You can never plan to get things done on your day off since you find out one day before the week starts. Why not do a 4 week schedule? Manager can never answer HR questions or get you the answer. I have been waiting also one year to get a question answered about leave. On the positive sick they do provide life insurance and disability at no cost to the employee. Most days are very busy and I have worked at a few stores with good management and it makes a difference in how the store is maintained and how the employees feel about their job. The managers should lead by example.
Benefits
Cons
Lack of Schedule planning
Non-suppportve
Parts sales manager. Retail sales of auto (Current Employee) –  UtahDecember 26, 2018
To be fair I currently work at AutoZone. Before I did I bought parts and have no issue with the quality. I did notice that there were always new people and I discovered why. AutoZone had a high turnover of employees.Scheduling is all over the board and you never know what your hours will be until posted. You won't know until Thursday or Friday if you'll be working that Sunday or what hours. As long as you can pass a background check they will hire you, but don't expect them to give you a raise that isn't mere pennies. They will call the store to see if you answer the phone in time and they expect you too even when you are swamped. There are a lot of secret shoppers. There are only two employees in the store at night that is a huge safety concern and you will get a lot of angry customers who blame you for everything. You're expected to take it!
Pros
Like the peoople I work with.
Cons
Safety wiper blades in the middle of snowstorms battery installation in the dark
Not a bad place to start out
Parts Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Wellington, OHDecember 12, 2018
Great place to get started if you need a part time gig. Helped me out alot with car knowledge. Enjoyed majority of the customers. The pay was god awful and raises were a joke. Schedule sucked due to the store manager. The crew was good outside of the store manager and one brown noser there. The store manager is lazy, manipulative, selfish, cynical, cunning, arrogant, pompus, shiftless, and a procrastinator. If you wanted a day off, you had to fight him for it. Autozone is a good company to work for depending on your store and district manager you work for, but depending on the situation you get yourself into, it could be good or bad.
Worst Job Ever
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 9, 2018
I was what they call a “grey shirt” which means I was a manager. I received MINIMUM WAGE FOR TGE ENTIRE TWOVYEARS I WORKED THERE!!!! AS A MANAGER!!!! It’s kind of embarrassing when your getting the same pay as the people you are managing! The ONLY time I got a “raise” was when the LAW INCREASED MINIMUM WAGE! Sad!!!!! I asked upper management about this obvious oversight and I was dismissed time and time again! Two years.... manager.... might volume store.... MINIMUM WAGE! Poor business ethics!
Pros
They will hire ANYONE
Cons
Managers are inexperienced, and take advantage of people by having full timers come in for 4 hour shifts (for minimum wage)
Overworked underpaid understaffed
Commercial Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHSeptember 19, 2018
I’ve been working for autozone 5 years as a manager and it couldn’t be any worse. They expect you to do the work of 5 people for the pay of 1/4 of an employee. They constantly add new job requirements while cutting your staffing hours and complaining when requirements aren’t attainable. Expectations are super high . Morale is super low. If you like doing 10 times the work and stress load for 1/4 of the compensation choose autozone . If your a good employee that shows up to do your job while everyone else quits and calls off to being overworked for minimum wage , choose the zone . If you like being reminded nothing you do is good enough and hate being praised for good things choose autozone . There are literally 2 to 3 call offs a day in their stores while you are expected to maintain all of that work .
Pros
Benefits, somewhat flexible scheduling
Cons
Overworked, low morale, low compensation
A typical day at work
HUB SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Addison, ILDecember 14, 2018
Working in a hub store is probably much different than working in the regular locations but a typical day in the hub is pretty interesting. As a Hub Specialist, my day begins with picking parts ordered by the 50+ stores we serviced so my drivers can deliver them in a timely fashion. After the first of three runs depart, the distribution center's daily truck delivery arrives and I begin assisting with stocking the parts our hub has just receive while directing my employees to continue picking ordered parts for the next runs. As my drivers return from the first run of deliveries, they bring in returns from the other stores. I direct these drivers to stock the parts they have just brought in while preparing to load the next run after all of the parts have been picked. Before ending my day, I must work on fulfilling customer orders from stores we do not service (from other regions and states) with FedEx through AutoZone's vendor direct program.
Pros
Great health care benefits. Offers 401k, stock options, and paid time off. Plenty room for advancement.
Cons
Low hourly pay. Learn by watching, not the best training.
It’s fast paced and competitive
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 24, 2018
You are under paid for what they need you to do. Guys get paid way more then the girls do also move up the corporate ladder faster then girls. Same goes for the raise every year! If you are pt. You get no over time and have to work holidays with no time and a 1/2 only managers get paid vacation,over time pay and time and a 1/2 pay. Managers just sit in the back on there phones. Or go out for a “run” return hours later. Then yell at the usually 2-3 csr in the fron as to why there is a line. If you are lucky you will get a manager that will work with your schedule.
Pros
Hour lunches
Cons
Very hard to get a decent raise and promotion
typical auto parts store
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INNovember 4, 2018
On a normal day at auto zone I would come in and usually put up truck. While I was putting up truck i would stop whenever a customer needed assistance. From this job I learned that you have to be understanding to be in the customer service area. The hardest part of the job was working and keeping a smile on my face knowing that management thought they could mistreat me whenever they wanted. Nevertheless, I most enjoyed sending customers out the door with a smile on their face.
Pros
20 percent discount
Cons
no other benefits
Ups and downs
Front Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CANovember 29, 2018
Salary was barely above minimum wage, but as a no experience required job, it's not a bad start. During the day it can be pretty busy and fast paced, and customers can tend to be rude and impatient half the time, but the crew I worked with was mostly laid back, respectful, and helpful. Having a general knowledge of automotive mechanics helps a lot, but isn't absolutely necessary. There is online training course they offer to help be more knowledgeable of the products and systems.
Pros
Plenty of opportunities to move up, store transfer available for easy relocation
Cons
Employee discount is generally the same as free membership discount
2nd home.
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Ocala, FLOctober 10, 2018
They hire you on to work 4 day weeks. 12 point system, to earn half a point back you have to endure 3 months of perfect addendance. Leaving anytime after lunch is 1/2 point. Leaving at the end of your scheduled day, but before they call it, is still 1/2 point. Indefinite mandatory OT rotating between every day of the weekend. (Can work up to 6 days) 45 minute lunch, 15 minute break. Our facility struggles as the company jumped started the facility to hit capacity sooner than any other. Some shifts hit up to 11/12 hours when needed. 15 minute notice if the shift will be extended past scheduled release. Cannot plan weekends ahead, hope you don’t have to pick your children up from school either. Unprofessional environment, no consideration for the employees by upper management. All day physical exhaustion. Vacation days available after 1 year(40 hours every six months), 3 paid days off a year. Benefits after 90 days. Overall my experience has be unpleasant with this company. No consideration for our work availability and home life responsibilities.
Pros
$14/hour starting pay and benefits
Cons
Everything.
Over worked and under paid
Commercial Specialist/Driver (Former Employee) –  Ukiah, CADecember 4, 2018
I enjoyed the working at Autozone. It started off interesting, endless opportunities to learn something new, although career advancement with this company takes TIME. Alot of time. The cost of living is much more expensive than it used to be. I found it nearly impossible to live as a single mother. Only speaking for myself. I felt way over worked and under paid. Unappreciated.
Pros
Discounts, hr long meals, stocks
Cons
Expensive healthcare, low wages, 1 annual raise, career advancement
NOT what you THINK it is...
Customer Service Representative/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 17, 2018
The ambition you need to show just to get hired there does NOT pay off in monetary compensation.
Computer systems are of antiquity and BADLY outdated in need of SERIOUS redesign regarding hardware and software. It's like they had a system that worked (partially) 20 years ago and everyone just "gets used to it".
If you have organizational skills you will feel LOST; the REAL truth is learning their unorganized company and learning to work within the mess.
Pros
Room for advancement.
Cons
EVERYONE starts at part time (0-20 hrs/wk; what I was told by the DM in my final interview)
excellent place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Claremont, NHNovember 8, 2018
It's sad to see someone didn't enjoy there job with AutoZone as a female from the Claremont nh store I really enjoyed such a wonderful team I was working with learned so much it is hard work lots of lifting and lots of driving I delivered parts and worked in the store I loved every minute of it if you have great management you will enjoy what you do I worked with AutoZone for a little under a year great pay great hours they we're always on top of your break ..loved it health benefits were amazing
Great Place to Work
Commercial Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 9, 2018
I really enjoyed my time with the company, I received true satisfaction helping people and excelled quickly until I hit a short ceiling and there are little to no opportunities unless you get your own store but that does not happen often and the annual raises were a joke. I had a really nice, and knowledge manager and Autozone provided alot of online training and great benefits. However,The worst part of the job is being on your feet all day and nowhere to rest your feet, 10 hour days no chairs 4+ years. .15 - .30 cent raise was a insult, and thus the reason for high turnover as is the true managerial challenge; training high school kids who have never changed their own oil how to give car mechanical advise.
Pros
Discounts and Benefits
Cons
Long hours with no chair and high turnover due to raise structure.
it's an ok place to start out from.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Oakley, CAAugust 4, 2018
This place apparently is a great company to work for, as long as you aren't in california.
autozone has a midwest mentality when it comes to pay compensation. they pay horribly, but every year you get reviewed and you can get a minimum of $.08 raise. up to a maximum of $.45. sometimes a bit more, depending on the manager.
You don't need experience to work for autozone, you just have to breathe. the hours you get are based upon how busy the store is in general. Usually slower stores are understaffed with a lot of work to do, stocking, cleaning, etc..
Each week the store manager receives yet a new task or 3. Always something more, more more. The stress can be high often.
It's not a fun place to work for, but it's a steady paycheck.
autozone likes to treat you as if you're a thief. they're more concerned watching employees than customers when it comes to thefts.
Pros
Stores are usually clean and spirited
Cons
lots of stock to constantly put up, low wages
Stressful
HUB DRIVER (Current Employee) –  Carlisle, PASeptember 26, 2018
As time goes by the stress level rise. The employee turn over rate is ridiculous. There is only a handful of employees who have been there 2 years or more. There is much of lack of communication between all departments, tossing around the blame onto others, and mixed signals as to whether or not what your hours will be.

The pay is more for a high school student just starting out on their road to finding themselves. Everybody that works there is severely underpaid. The yearly raises are very minimal and laughable.
delivery driver
Commercial Driver (Former Employee) –  Coldwater, MIOctober 17, 2018
work long shift and to consistently lift over 50lbs of materials have to be able to multitask phones online orders and counter customer services. lack of employee staffing. hard working environment especially for a female. very physically demanding and very little employee support. it was not my kind of ideal employment. the store manager was supportive and always had employee backs and was kind and caring. what makes this employment of hard is the lack of support from corporate offices
benefits
Cons
working for corporate company that does not care about staffing

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AutoZone. Our community is ready to answer.

52.2K
42.5K
32.1K

See reviews about

Women's ratings

3.9Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

57%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss