Avalon Flooring Culture reviews

Featured review
Avalon Flooring selected this as a representative review
Great place to work for
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rio Grande, NJMarch 31, 2019
I’ve been with Avalon now for 5 month and I absolutely love it! The company as a whole treats the employees just as important as the customers. And it’s reassuring to talk to coworkers and hear they’ve been with the company 10 or more years. Benefits are great and they are pretty competitive with pay. They also provide all the tools needed to make sure you are successful in your position. Advancement opportunities are extremely likely and the business itself is striving so the company remains successful and growing. I am very happy here and hope to advance and stay on board for years to come! :)
I was transferred to train 4 new salespeople and then fired.
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Township of Deptford, NJNovember 1, 2018
I was the only Spanish speaking person hired in a spanish cultured location. After the owner passed, the new ownership decided to close the location and I was transferred to another location 30 minutes further away. I was given 4 new young sales people to train who were offered 1/3 less than I was making to do the same job. After I trained them they said sales weren't as good after saturating the floor with new people. Then they let me go saying they couldn't afford me and the new location did not need Spanish speaking sales because it was not an area that had Spanish consumers.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Long hours and no consecutive days off
Official response from Avalon Flooring
April 10, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I encourage you to contact me to discuss your experience so we may improve in areas that we are lacking.

At the current time, we are 100% employee owned and work every day toward improving the workplace, the processes, and the culture. Our hours are retail hours, but we do provide monthly schedules with a consistent day off.

It's like working for the Mob
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Pennsylvania LocationJanuary 30, 2018
Every positive review on this site has been fabricated by the corporate office. If there is any culture at Avalon it is dishonest and lacking a moral compass. The upper management takes all the money for themselves while the other 92% of the company is paid poorly. As a sales person, you will only make $30,000 a year and will only see commission money after delivering $40,000 each month. There is zero work/life balance.
Official response from Avalon Flooring
April 10, 2019

We appreciate your review and encourage you to contact me for further discussion.

I think there is a misunderstanding and I'm hopeful I can help clarify a few areas for you. I can share that we have made changes recently that improved the commissions earned by sales associates and if there are other challenges we can work to improve, I'd like to discuss those as well.

done
Sales/ interior design consultant (Former Employee) –  Fire road Egg Harbor TownshipOctober 24, 2017
Greeting new people and designing backsplashes and knowing the proper flooring for are in which they reside in order to provide correct flooring as in different woods specifications. Workplace culture was excellent. I learned how to design tile floors/,backsplashes and all about carpeting and wood flooring. I enjoyed the most designing and working with people understanding what they truly expected in their home.
Pros
designing
Decent Place To Work For
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJMarch 8, 2016
The staff here is very friendly and there are many of the higher ups who have been with the company forever. As part of the office staff you have your typical work hours 8am to 5pm. Administrative staff can expect to do the same things day in and day out if you like a job with variety and always having something different to do this is not it. However once you do get your job functions and do well by them there is room to grow and move higher up within the company.

Avalon has very good benefits medical, dental, vision, flexible spending and 401K. I also believe they have a profit sharing program.

If you plan on doing sales within this company expect to work very long hours and expect to be in a very competitive environment. There tends to be SILENT in house fighting over sales but in sales I guess that is the territory. Some people do extremely well and get rewarded by being in the Presidents Club but most fall short and never meet that goal and get so far in a hole with their commissions vs salary ratio that eventually you get fired or quit.

Administrative Staff: $13.00 - $15.00 a hour depending on location and experience

Warehouse Staff: $12.00 - $15.00

These wages could have changed since I have been there but I doubt it.
Pros
Good Benefits, Nice People
Cons
Long Hours, Boring with no Variety