Avalon School of Cosmetology Employee Reviews

2.4
Ratings breakdown
Great pay, however job environment could be challenging in regards to ownership/management
Cosmetology Instructor (Former Employee) –  Layton, UTAugust 13, 2018
Left due to relocation, would probably still be there although management and owners may need some change in regards to rules and regulations and in general just making it a happy place to work. Most of my coworkers hated their jobs, but they provided great benefits, pay and christmas parties and gifts and you don't see that anymore which I greatly appreciated.
Worst shool ..take your money elsewhere .lies to get your fafsa money
Student (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 20, 2018
Worst shool ..take your money elsewhere .lies to get your fafsa money...No help to get a job after graduation...had to chase after admissions and management to get My papers
Great Company to work for
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  ArizonaMarch 14, 2018
I work in the financial aid department & it's a fast paced environment. My direct leader is always willing to teach me new things & let me step up in a leadership role. I feel I am very valued not only in my department but with admissions, education & the owners.
Pros
Free Beauty Services, Different challenges on daily basis
Management is incompetent and lacks structure
Cosmetology Instructor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 15, 2018
Promises makeup program to students but never delivers. No support from rude management whatsoever. Admissions lie to students to get them enrolled then it falls on the educator to explain why/when. Follow the lesson plans given which are poorly done, out of date and lack creativity. Only one computer that works so no time to prepare needed documents for class so you stay later than usual. The culture is scattered and not very solid in terms of consistency. No conformity from eldest teachers, very stuck in their ways. YOU WILL BUY SO MANY SUPPLIES OUT OF POCKET but anything to keep the creativity alive for students!
Pros
Students keep you coming back
Cons
management, poor structure, dishonesty, lacks integrity
better instuctors
Esthetics Program Student (Former Employee) –  Alameda, CAFebruary 2, 2018
when i first started the school everything was nice clean and professional but after my first phase within a month we lost our teacher and had cosmo teachers who did not know what they were talking about and had to self teach ourselves for the remaining of my course at school
Great if you want to be over worked
Financial Aid Advisor (Former Employee) –  Alameda, CADecember 24, 2017
Terrible work environment. I worked there for less than 6 months and it was such a toxic environment. My boss was willing to give me her work load so she could eat and do nothing all day. I took a lunch break maybe once or twice I was there. Their was always some elements of drama daily that the director ignored. Her conflict resolution skills consisted of talking in her office for hours then telling the staff the details in our morning meetings.
Despire our non fratination clause in our contract my boss added me on Instsgram then blocked and deleted me because I quit.
Pros
The students
Cons
Overworked, bad management Underpaid
Terrible management and predatory co-workers.
Admissions Counselor (Former Employee) –  Layton, UTNovember 30, 2017
Leads are 4 to 5 years old. I made 60 to 80 calls a day and spoke to maybe 2 or 3 prospects. Co-worker stole my good leads after I had been working them and management couldn't care less.
Great Place
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Worthington, MNOctober 27, 2017
Great place to work. Fast paced. Owners and management are very easy to work with, and the students love it. I would recommend a job with them to aanyone.
Worst place I've ever worked
Esthetics Instructor (Former Employee) –  Layton, UTJuly 22, 2017
I loved teaching. I hated this job. The school is incredibly disorganized and the owners are all about the almighty dollar. The poor students were not prepared for their state board exams or given things they were promised. The equipment is run down and old. The students were unable to get a proper education. I did everything in my power to help them succeed but the school is a joke. Do not go here. Do your research.
Pros
The students
Cons
Co workers that throw you under the bus
My first real job and I loved it.
Admissions Representative/Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZJune 19, 2017
I was a new graduate and new to the Phoenix Area. I was very fortunate to get this position and be a part of their admissions staff. They pay well, have a great workplace culture, and respect their employees.
Pros
discounts on services at the salon, fun working environment
Above and beyond in a quality Cosmetology/Esthetics education program.
Educator (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 15, 2017
The program at Avalon goes beyond traditional beauty schools by offering the most relevant and true to life on the job training for future beauty professionals. The owners of the company are dedicated to providing the best education for the students. Their work ethic is legendary. Each and every key player in the organization works very hard to ensure structure, modern and relevant curriculums using state of the art products and the finest educators in the industry. I am very proud to be a part of this amazing organization.
Pros
Varied topics of curriculums, excellent hands on teaching environment.
It was nice the first week
Salon Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZMay 2, 2017
The students & most staff were really nice. But it was not worth the stress at all. It's a very unorganized place & being the morning front desk girl is probably the worst position you can get at this place because some how some way EVERYTHING that happens in the building will be your fault even if your off the clock. Also Make sure you get in good with the mangers espically Courtney because she's the most uptight & is the main one that will yell at you for the smallest things or even stuff you had no control over or stuff that you weren't even present for.
Pros
Free services
Cons
Messy environment, gossip, rude co-workers, no one takes accountability for their actions
Stressful and Unorganized
Salon Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 15, 2017
Worst place I ever worked. The manager would get annoyed when I asked questions when I had zero training. Owner is rude and very egoistic. The pay was not worth the amount of stress endured. Save your time and don't work here.
Cons
Stressful, Always Understaffed
Terrible experience
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZMarch 28, 2017
One of the worst places I ever worked. The co-workers were nice the owners were such mean people. I watched them yell at people on a regular basis in their faces over things that weren't necessarily. Micro managed severely .. not to mention the owner was dating an employee and she was pretty rude to everyone and knew she could get away with it. Unprofessional environment for sure.
Pros
Students
Cons
Owners
NEW Management and all new staff and faculty!
Director (Current Employee) –  Alameda, CAMarch 24, 2017
If you haven't been here lately...you should stop by!
All new staff and faculty, HAPPY students and FANTASTIC employees! this place feels BRAND NEW!

it's amazing being here every day! We are truly the lucky ones!!
Pros
Great culture!
avalon is a school
Esthetics Student (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 6, 2017
This school is poorly run. They promise students certain classes and dont deliver. They hire amazing teachers and fire them due to personality clashes with owner. They dont order supplies
Cons
short on supplies, school is run by an ownder who has no idea what he is doing, construction done during school hours, led to a broken arma nd fractured arm of a student
Never work here!
Admissions Representative (Former Employee) –  Alameda, CAMarch 2, 2017
This place is horrible. They pride in being "about the student" but they are NOT! Strictly a number driven position as an admissions rep. staff is treated poorly, super immature and drama from filled environment. I pray the students get out as quickly as possible and thank no one but themselves.
Pros
Salon like environment
Cons
Drama filled, no room for growth
Tough Place to Be
Leadership (Former Employee) –  Any AvalonFebruary 22, 2017
I worked in a leadership position and it was the most unfriendly, micromanaged, meanspirited, fear-based place to work. Owners are terrible people. Absolutely terrible. Yelling, cursing, fear of losing your job and being made to feel stupid is an everyday occurance. Be warned. Find a better place to work. PASS ON THIS OPPORTUNITY!
Pros
Students, coworkers
Cons
Too many to count, old broken equipment. Not up to date on esthetics curriculum. Terrible, mean, condescending owners.
Most Disgusting Place I have ever worked
Admissions Representative (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZJuly 17, 2016
They lie to students, staff, and miss treat employees. If your not in the click with the school director and education director or corprate your out. very immature group of adults who hang out with 23 year olds.
Awful company to work for, from the owners to corporate in Scottsdale to everyone in the school.I was Admissions and would never go back if I was offered a million dollars.
Very negative untrustworthy group of people.
Cons
Micro manage
A little Overwhelming.
Salon Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Alameda, CAApril 7, 2016
This particular location has a lack of positivity and empowerment when it comes to the Staff. I worked as the Salon Coordinator/Receptionist for a very short time. I am glad my time spent there as an employee ended quickly. A day as the "Front Desk" consistent with the same thing over and over again; Rude Clients, Unmotivated and unhappy Staff throwing their complaints and judgments, and management belittling you with their egotistical demands and snarky comments. For this location, the Salon Coordinator is usually the hardest worker there considering all other staff members are "preoccupied" so everything gets dumped on you without warning and you'll be the blame if something happens to go wrong. It is very "High school-ish" at this location due to the cliques the staff have organized. Expect dirty looks and gossiping. Very sad considering this is a Vocational School geared towards training mostly the female Gender.
Pros
Meeting exceptional Students
Cons
Work environment, pay, staff, management, clients