AvalonBay Communities Employee Reviews

Avalon Bay can be hit or miss
FRONT DESK SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 3, 2019
Great opportunities can come about but in most cases unless you've found a way to get your name out there you may be passed on. The training is amazing and the benefits are great! I have built long lasting bonds and the work life balance is better than most companies in our industry.
Pros
Benifits, trainning, work life balance, 401k, stock options
Cons
hard to advance and lower pay than most competitors
Fun Working Environment
Concierge/Leasing Consultant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 28, 2018
I learned a lot from this job. If you are looking to learn something new the opportunities are provided here. The management was very capable and the community seemed well run. Co-workers in every position were great to work with.
Team lounch
Maintenance Technician II (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 19, 2018
It was great when I first got there we use to have a team lunch appreciation for the whole team but with the time everyone above us start to change looking to much about the bollet they were spending in the property and the more they save the more they get so we start getting argument with the whole propperty team and it was something that make me to look forward out the property.
Great management, systems, and culture
Affordable Housing (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 15, 2018
I really loved working for AvalonBay. I started as a concierge and was able to advance quickly, with substantial increases in pay. For the most part, management was very solid and professional; I always felt very respected by whomever I was working under. The systems are current and always changing to make things easier for the residents as well as the employees (no rent collection in office!). Overall, the company has a reputation for paying slightly less than other property management companies, but the training, management quality, benefits, and company culture make it worthwhile. Would recommend!
Pros
Occasional free lunches, great work culture, great people, good benefits, always updating to new systems
Cons
Slightly less pay than other property management companies
large advancement and comfortable environment
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CADecember 14, 2018
Would recommend to others highly. Would appreciate flexible scheduling options. Have learned much in just the span of two years and couldn't be happier with the experience I've gained.
Pros
Full benefits, Pto
Cons
Schedule
Stay away
Collector Specialist (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VANovember 28, 2018
Poor management. Some departments value their people slighty more than others. Helath benefits are awesome. Job security is not a thing unless your a favorite
Pros
Good benefits, hour lunch
Cons
Management stinks, so do the shifts
Great Company but..
Community Consultant (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CANovember 20, 2018
I was left working alone for over 3 months, with no manager or other consultant — having to tour, address resident concerns, assist vendors, and all other tasks that were thrown at me.. all at once.

Some mistakes were made due to the stress and lack of support in the situation, and ended up being fired 2 months after those mistakes were made! Of course, I was written up for these mistakes when they occurred, and I improved upon them quickly afterwards, but the termination coincidentally happened once I trained the new staff and kept the community afloat during pressing times.

My manager prevented me from transferring to a closer community to my home,reasoning some objectives that weren’t met yet — but allowed prior colleagues to transfer with those same objectives! I was thanked for all my hard work in those pressing time, then kicked to the curb when everything settled down. The new associate was hired with less experience, but at a higher pay rate than me, but I kept it to myself because I knew something great was going to happen from my hard work — oh how I was tragically wrong.

I am deeply disheartened with my treatment at AvalonBay.
High paced job
Leasing Consultant (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 11, 2018
I enjoyed while I was there. I learned tons but I did tend to take my work home a lot. Management could be better also. In the beginning the pay was worth while. You definitely felt like your paid well for the amount of you putting. In 2017 when they rolled out their new bonus and pay many people left because it was unfair. A lot pressure to hit goals but the pay was not good.
Loved this job
Construction Administrator (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WANovember 7, 2018
I loved this job - but unfortunately I came down with an autoimmune disease while I was employed there. I went on disability and when I returned I didn't have a job long after.
They said I was layed off. The unfortunate thing was after my recovery from my autoimmune disease I was very excited to return to work only to find out my disease cost me my job. They didn't handle great. But things happen for a reason.

I loved the job the work etc. Managing all the paperwork for multifamily mixed use projects of high caliber. Luxury apartments being built and managed by a very large multi-state REIT company.

Enjoyable part was starting a new project and knowing you had some job security for a while :)
Pros
I was in control and managed all the paperwork
Cons
I was in control and managed all the paperwork
something new
Technician level 1 & 2 (Former Employee) –  Diamond Bar, CANovember 6, 2018
job was fun learn a lot of new things that's why i apply at avalon wanted yo try something new and so i can learn how different company's work only if there was more time to learn more
Maintenance Tech at white plains
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYNovember 2, 2018
White plains tech position which is back on indeed since ive quit is the painter, he’s responsible for turning apartments filled with stress cracks all over (in some cases 30-40 wall length cracks from ceiling to floor) to be turned into absolute gems in a day or less. The job that is being asked of you is not remotely equivalent to what the pay is and the time given is NO WHERE NEAR Whats needed to accomplish what they want done, if youre applying for that position and happen to read this YOU NEED NOT APPLY! AvalonBay as a company may be a good fit give it a shot at another property the 27 barker ave white plains location will not be a good fit, you will waste your time and hinder your success in this business.
Pros
Leaving after your shift is over
Cons
Expecting perfection in the shortest possible amount of time
ok place to work.
Customer Support Associate (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAOctober 30, 2018
Performance expectations tied to bonus incentives are too high to earn higher range bonus. Your score can be knocked down for the smallest of errors with no coaching prior to scoring.
Productive and fun place
Concierge (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAOctober 17, 2018
Faced pace environment with a great team of individuals who love to work together. there is room for advancement and great culture. I enjoy working with the residents and team.
Pros
Free lunches, team member appreciations, parties etc.
A great publicly traded real estate company
Director (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 8, 2018
AvalonBay has a great culture, business model and workforce. There are few real estate companies that in my opinion can compare. It is a meritocracy full of talented and friendly professionals who consistently strive to do the right thing.
October 11, 2018

Thank you for writing a review about your experiences at AVB! We really are happy to hear that you enjoy working with us, and hope you will continue to enjoy your time here for many more years!

dysfunctional
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 3, 2018
The company policies are reasonable but they're manipulated by management. They like to get people they know in the company and fire people if they don't like their character. Seemed pretty legit from the outside but way too corporate. Not enough oversight. Breaking OSHA rules left and right. Too many corners are cut at the expense of low level staff and the residents in order for management to collect their bonuses. They lie about company advancement unless you hang out with them outside of work. liars are rewarded and hard workers are "disciplined". They neglect and discriminate against affordable housing residents. Human Resources should be audited because they allow all of this to happen. Check your hours because they'll never overpay you but will definitely short your hours.
Pros
Health Insurance, Company events, occasional free lunch, most of the residents are great people
Cons
24-hour on-call(policies are not clear), terrible communication, do it yourself training, no respect for people
Reliable and fun work environment!
Community Consultant (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CaliforniaOctober 2, 2018
I have been working with AvalonBay Communities for the past 6 years and I love it. It is a great company to work and it has great benefits package too. At AvalonBay employees hard work is always recognized.
Pros
Paid time off and generous sick time!
Cons
Everything good!
October 11, 2018

Thank you for writing this glowing review! Congratulations on 6 years with the AVB team, and we wish you many more!

Best job I ever had
Sales and Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Dublin, CASeptember 28, 2018
I loved working for AvalonBay. I wish I’d never left. The managers are very supportive and knowledgeable. I always felt that I could ask for help if needed. My only wish is that the pay would match the market you work in more. It’s hard to work somewhere when you can’t afford to live there.
Pros
Excellent management and training.
Cons
Pay could be higher
October 11, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are always examining our compensation structure to make sure that we are providing a fair pay rate. If you are still interested in coming back, please apply online!

Great company to work for
Sr. Director (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaSeptember 27, 2018
AvalonBay has one of the best company cultures I've ever come across. The senior management does a tremendous job of making sure all of the employees feel like owners, and the results show. They are always open to feedback and improvement, and support a balanced work/life balance.
Pros
Great culture, great management
Relaxed and fun place to work...
Front Desk Concierge - Weekends only (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 14, 2018
Worked weekends only, was able to work freely and unsupervised. Because of this I felt that I was more productive in my work. AvalonBay is a Fortune 500 company that I was very fortunate to work for, management was great. This was a second job for me and working all week and weekends became a bit too much.

If the salary had been better, I would have quit my weekday job to work with them full time, positions were always available.
Pros
Management who cared about their employees...
Cons
There were none...
September 21, 2018

Thank you for writing this thoughtful review! We appreciate you for taking time to write a review about your experience while working at AVB.

twilight zone
Community Consultant (Current Employee) –  Acton, MASeptember 3, 2018
learned a lot, time goes by fast, don't blink or you'll be sitting in the same job 4 years later. Don't pay as much as they should. Alo they should give more of a discount on housing for full time employees.
October 11, 2018

Thank you for writing this review. We are always reviewing our compensation to make sure we are offering fair pay. If you have questions about anything, please feel free to talk to your manager or HR manager.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AvalonBay Communities. Our community is ready to answer.