AvalonBay Communities Employee Reviews

Work Life Balance
Community Manager (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJune 22, 2019
Best company I have ever worked for in regards to work life balance. They believe in the importance of every employee being able to have a "breather" and enjoy the fruits of their labor with family and friends.
Great Company
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaJune 14, 2019
The company is very thorough with their training and support. They provide a great new hire boot camp as well as continued training and on site classes. The best part-they have associate appreciation days and sales rallies and so much more events and opportunities that allow you to network with others in the company which in return helps with the growth within the company.
Pros
Thorough Training, Room for Growth and Advancement
Cons
Housing Discount doesn't vary/fluctuate depending on the market rate of where you live
Great company
Affordable Housing Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 10, 2019
Great company to work for and would highly recommend. The culture is friendly. There is room for growth within the company. Management is helpful and wants you to succeed.
Good company
Lead Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Princeton, NJMay 26, 2019
Decent enough company, tends to hire people unqualified and then are surprised when they show their lack of skills. Good pay, decent benefits. Rank it a 5 out of 10
Hard work but fun
Senior Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) –  Coram, NYMay 10, 2019
Great place to work. Great team atmosphere. Sometimes property suffers because of fast pace. They will always help you when you ask for it. They also back you up. They expect excellence. But they also pay for excellence. Work there for 5 years. Miss the think tanks. Working together towards a common Goal.
Regular day at AVA Checking the workers schedule,calling vendors; checking the vacancy list,
Maintenance Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Burbank, CAApril 15, 2019
Typical day at work:Handed daily tasks to the workers, checked vacancies, called vendors, checked materials and parts order parts and materials as need it, checked complete WOs the last thinks make a report-to manager.
I learned how to manage a team of 15 employees, how to deal with vendors, residents, and work with the manager.
Finishing the day as planed.
Enjoying the end of the checking my list of things to do is completed.
The hours and over time
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CA 94710April 11, 2019
I found they were taking my over time, hours off my weekly 40 hours. if I had overtime it took away from my normal time, they scam you. they just finished a law suit over pay fudging to avoid payin overtime. it was nice working there but the fact is they don't really care. I left due to body damage from busting my but for them to skim and scam on my pay. in did not get the chance to heal. on my days off I needed to take care of things and I did because the people deserved a good place to live. one guy to do the work of three. sorry. no bananas here. when you are the time keeper as well its hard to explain why if I had overtime it was deducted from my normal hours.not added.
Pros
Igot free lunch i could not eat due to food alergies
Cons
lack of help for heavy jobs
Great place to work!
Sales & Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 10, 2019
I enjoyed my time with Avalonbay Communities. The company has a great culture and great bonus incentives. The hardest part of the job were the constant meetings and events, which took away too much time from doing work.
Pros
Bonus
Cons
Meetings & Events took too much time from your work
An overall good place to work
Sr. Payroll Specialist (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAApril 8, 2019
I learned so much working for AvalonBay, I was encouraged to earn a certification and improve my skills in order to do my job better. The Customer Care Center is a great place to work.
Pros
fun company culture, good pay and benefits
Cons
can't think of any
Excellent company, would strongly recommend with some minor concerns
Community Consultant (Current Employee) –  Stamford, CTMarch 28, 2019
I have loved my time working with AvalonBay. It has been the best job in my career to this point. The company fosters a strong collaborative culture and pushes you to be the best you can be.

However, when it comes to coaching/counselling towards the next step in a career, I have found the system in place to be somewhat lacking. I did not get to meet with management to receive a clear summary on what I needed to do moving forward to grow within the company and get to the next level.

While the company is excellent, I advice on a way to improve would be to better manage the coaching/mentoring of talented associates to ensure retention.
Worst company to ever work for
Lead Maintenance Tech (Former Employee) –  Glen Cove, NYFebruary 21, 2019
The company is filled with manager only looking out for themselves. If you don’t kiss up you will never move up no matter how hard u work. If management including upper management and HR don’t like you for whatever reason they will find anything on you even set u up so they can dismiss you. Has happened to more than a dozen employees. Pay sucks. Hard to make a living. And this is a company that in 2017 made 22 billion dollars.
Pros
Residents, some coworkers
Cons
CEO HR management pay!
Wonderful Work Environment
SALES & SERVICE SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Wheaton, MDFebruary 19, 2019
AvalonBay was such a wonderful company to work for. From the people to the culture it was a great joy to be apart of something so driven by its tenants happiness. AvalonBay gave me the tools and resources I will need to enhance my career within the property management field.
Pros
Work/Life Balance, Employee Recognition
AvalonBay as a place to Work....
Human Resources Coordinator II, SHRM-CP (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAFebruary 15, 2019
AvalonBay is a good place to work. I have enjoyed the benefits and my team comaraderie. My boss has an open mind and is willing to listen to new ideas from the team. Collaboration is key to the work I do at AvalonBay and I believe my team and I collaborate well.
Pros
Great Culture!!!
Cons
Lack of leadship training throughout the rest of the company on necessary administrative issues.
Probably one of my best moves
Community Consultant (Current Employee) –  Union City, CAFebruary 14, 2019
I was not only in need of a career change, but an industry change altogether! Starting from the bottom again, I was not only iffy about my transition but scared to death. Avalon Bay has provided not only an actual work life balance for me, but more training than I have experienced to date. The training is consistent and current with today's market and demands. Personally I do not believe there are many entry level positions that can compete with the cost of living in the Bay area, but Avalon Bay has. I am 100% confident that they have all of our needs in their best interest and are constantly looking for more ways to provide for their employees and their families. As for me, now I have the training and tools I need to succeed and advance in my new career, the benefits and perks needed to live a healthier happier me and I am now able to enjoy more time with my family. I couldn't have made a better decision!
Pros
Benefits, paid vacations, 401k, stock options, ample supplemental benefits, bonus structure along with above minimum pay rates...many more!
Cons
N/a
Love the company
Maintenance Tech III (Former Employee) –  Long Island, NYJanuary 22, 2019
Great place to work, on the job training. Company that care a lot about safety of their employees. Don’t like that you have to leave site to become manager.
Pros
Competitive salary
Cons
Tough to advance beyond technician
Avalon Bay can be hit or miss
FRONT DESK SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 3, 2019
Great opportunities can come about but in most cases unless you've found a way to get your name out there you may be passed on. The training is amazing and the benefits are great! I have built long lasting bonds and the work life balance is better than most companies in our industry.
Pros
Benifits, trainning, work life balance, 401k, stock options
Cons
hard to advance and lower pay than most competitors
Fun Working Environment
Concierge/Leasing Consultant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 28, 2018
I learned a lot from this job. If you are looking to learn something new the opportunities are provided here. The management was very capable and the community seemed well run. Co-workers in every position were great to work with.
Team lounch
Maintenance Technician II (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 19, 2018
It was great when I first got there we use to have a team lunch appreciation for the whole team but with the time everyone above us start to change looking to much about the bollet they were spending in the property and the more they save the more they get so we start getting argument with the whole propperty team and it was something that make me to look forward out the property.
Great management, systems, and culture
Affordable Housing (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 15, 2018
I really loved working for AvalonBay. I started as a concierge and was able to advance quickly, with substantial increases in pay. For the most part, management was very solid and professional; I always felt very respected by whomever I was working under. The systems are current and always changing to make things easier for the residents as well as the employees (no rent collection in office!). Overall, the company has a reputation for paying slightly less than other property management companies, but the training, management quality, benefits, and company culture make it worthwhile. Would recommend!
Pros
Occasional free lunches, great work culture, great people, good benefits, always updating to new systems
Cons
Slightly less pay than other property management companies
large advancement and comfortable environment
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CADecember 14, 2018
Would recommend to others highly. Would appreciate flexible scheduling options. Have learned much in just the span of two years and couldn't be happier with the experience I've gained.
Pros
Full benefits, Pto
Cons
Schedule

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AvalonBay Communities. Our community is ready to answer.