AvalonBay Communities Employee Reviews

Great Company Culture
Community Consultant (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsApril 11, 2018
I love working for AvalonBay. Management is great and the company often promotes from within. We're frequently given professional training, and AvalonBay as a company seems to be constantly evolving and keeping up with the times. Base pay is very fair and there's plenty of opportunity to make bonuses/commission.

Everyday is a little bit different but on a day-to-day basis I could be touring apartment homes, managing the office and property, or providing customer service to residents and prospective residents. The most difficult part of the job is the fast-pace, and being able to multitask and problem solve. However, having had a background in restaurants and hotels, I've discovered property management is very comparable in terms of customer service but with much better hours. I would highly recommend anyone to work for this company.
Pros
Fun coworkers, ability to meet new people and socialize, bonus pay, regular working hours, paid time off, benefits
Cons
Working the weekends
Micro Manage Central
Community Consultant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 29, 2018
Avalon Bay is a large corporate company that has many locations to work for and room to move around. That being said, you will need to play their micromanaged chess.
Benefits
Cons
Micro management
Disorganized and no training
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New JerseyMarch 19, 2018
Maybe for a first job this may be an option but not for someone with experience. No formal training. Seemed very disorganized and some peers were not helpful. Lacking formal processes.
Pros
Cons
Pay, no training and little help from peers
Be careful
CSO Customer Operations (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMarch 6, 2018
This job does offer a lot of free food, but the pay is terrible. This would be a good job for a teenager or an extrememly young adult that has very minimal responsibilities. The atmosphere is okay, and the overall company is about the same. If you're looking for something quick to make some fast money and not have to lay roots, then this might be worth checking out.
Pros
They have a lot of free food
Cons
low pay
Great people outside of Maintenance Management
Maintenance Manager (Current Employee) –  Redmond, WAFebruary 25, 2018
I was really excited to joint the team at Avalon Bay but I found out almost immediately that the local Maintenance Management at the corporate level was rigid and unwilling to work with individuals at management levels that came from outside of their world. Training and mentoring was no minimal at best and the negative methods used to communicate issues was emotionally devastating. I was losing sleep, working long hours and the stress was at a level that was affecting my health.
Pros
Great benefits and good ground level people
Cons
Horrible local Corporate level Maintenance management
Temp
Resident Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJanuary 26, 2018
This was a temporary position for me. I had the wonderful experience to meet some amazing people. However the assignment was contractual and I was not fully indoctrinated into the "culture".
Great Staff and nice renovation
Senior Leasing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Newport Beach, CAJanuary 25, 2018
I enjoyed working both with the staff as well as the residents and prospective residents. Great team to join would recommend them to anyone. Training was awesome as well as the employee appreciation days. A huge plus they close on Sundays! Great for Family time
Pros
live on site
Cons
work weekends
Wasted Experuence
Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 22, 2018
I was very disappointed in Avalon Bay Communities. The lack of coaching and help from upper management and HR when made aware of issues was very distasteful. The lack of support and hostile work place is not a desirable company to work for. The allowed unsubstantiated comments and backstabbing should be addressed and handled properly. (Accountability)!) The tech 1, 2 and 3's are good hardworking employees and deserve to be treated with more respect. They are what makes living at their respective communities clean, safe and pleasant. Sorry explain how unpleasant the experience was. " End of the day, do you want to work in an work place like that?" NO! NO! NO!
Pros
Met Good Techs.
Cons
Almost Everything.
Assistant Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJanuary 22, 2018
There is a lot of stress when it comes to get evaluate by the management, people is getting just a lower increase yearly and when people ask for a raise management give 100 excuses and this discourage people that want to stay with company and prefer to look for another job.
Benefits
Cons
Increase on salary
Strong Company - Great Experience
Community Leasing Consultant (Current Employee) –  Long Island City, NYJanuary 21, 2018
Good place to start - not recommended for someone looking for advancement. Competitive position with a strong sense of team oriented collaboration and goals.
February 21, 2018

Thanks for sharing. We're definitely all about collaboration and our team dynamic is a big part of the culture here. We also want our associates to realize their potential at AVB and we work hard to ensure there are opportunities for those who want to learn and grow with the company.

Great place to learn and grow
SENIOR DATABASE ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJanuary 13, 2018
AvalonBay provides opportunity to wear multiple caps and work on same project.You learn different technologies and learn to implement in daily tasks and hence making work exciting and interesting.
January 18, 2018

We're so happy to hear you enjoyed your time at AVB and that you gained some valuable experience while you were here. I hope it serves you well and brings you continued success in your career!

See below
Sr. Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAJanuary 11, 2018
Lack of training and management from a project stand point. Your left alone to figure out who to call for support when needed. Employees did as little as possible to keep their jobs and that would be expected when working for a publicly traded company.
Great company to work for.
Regional Facilities Director (Former Employee) –  Newport Beach, CAJanuary 10, 2018
Support daily operations.
To much to write about.
Best place to work.
Everyone was so helpful with helping my future.
Being laid off.
Every day was great.
January 18, 2018

Thanks for your review. We're thrilled to hear how well you were supported while at AvalonBay, and we hope the experience helps you achieve success in your future pursuits!

Great Place to Work
Community Consultant (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJanuary 8, 2018
I highly recommend working for AvalonBay. I started out as a Leasing consultant and worked my way up by starting at a stabilized property and finishing with them at a lease up. This company is great because you can ask anyone anything and not feel like they are going to bite your head off for asking someone else. They have a great upward mobility track for those who want it and work hard for it. This company is very forward thinking in everything that they do with having committees that focus on the company's environmental footprint to employee advancement.
Pros
Great Benefits, decent amount of holidays
Cons
Pay could be better
January 11, 2018

Thanks for sharing! We're so glad to hear how much you enjoyed working at AVB. It sounds like you gained some valuable experience during your time with us and I hope it serves you well through a successful career.

Enjoyable work environment
SENIOR COMMUNITY CONSULTANT (Current Employee) –  Tysons Corner, VADecember 23, 2017
Enjoyable work environment. Not a cut-throat sales environment. Quarterly events are held to keep employees motivated and informed on what's new with company operations.
Pros
work/life balance, awesome work enviornment
Cons
low pay
January 3, 2018

Hello and thanks for taking the time to post a review. We're so glad to hear how much you're enjoying AVB. We have a lot of close-knit teams and that often creates a really fun and supportive atmosphere to work in. Thanks again and have an outstanding 2018!

Office atmosphere
Senior Community Consultant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 11, 2017
My experience at Avalon varied. It really seemed that the manager made a big difference in how the office atmosphere was perceived. If the manager welcomed team support and made the day to day routine fun then happiness was very apparent. If the manager micro managed then creativity and wellbeing suffered. Be careful that you don't get a manager that can't foster positive relatonships. Trust is so important. Fairness is crucial. Evaluate the situation and if it's not healthy then be fair to yourself.
Pros
Gym access
December 21, 2017

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and we're sorry to hear that your experience at AVB was anything less than excellent. I couldn't agree more about the impact managers have on their associates' engagement and happiness in their job. The team atmosphere is a huge part of our business and culture and it remains a major focus for us. We appreciate your feedback and wish the best going forward.

great events
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Campbell, CADecember 11, 2017
its a nice play people are great highly recommend its fast paced because your always moving back and forth but its not hard but you do get tired but overall good
Pros
hour lunch
December 13, 2017

Thanks for sharing. We're glad you're enjoying working at AVB and all that comes with being part of this amazing team!

Productive and Fun Atmosphere to work in!
Community Consultant (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CADecember 9, 2017
I was apart of the AvalonBay for a little over a year, and with in that year I was able to push myself not only personally but professionally. AvalonBay gives you the opportunity to grow and advance within the company.
December 13, 2017

Thanks for your review! AVB is definitely an excellent place to hone your skills and realize your potential. It's great to hear you're taking advantage of that - keep it up and I'm sure your future at AVB will be a bright one!

Great work Life Balance
Senior Community Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 12, 2017
They do things different but also have a focus on giving back to the communities they operate business in. There are over 20 communities in OC/SD and over 255 nationwide. Opportunities are plentiful especially if there is flexibility with relocation
November 15, 2017

We really appreciate your review. We're proud of the investment made by AVB in our local communities. AVB is just as invested in all of us, and that's something to be proud of too. Thanks for being part of this amazing team!

No Complaints
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VANovember 9, 2017
I am glad I had the opportunity to work there at AvalonBay. I have nothing negative to say about this company. Many always have likes and dislikes, though I try to remain neutral. Any company can improve in their Managerial style, but who is perfect?
Pros
No Complaints
Cons
No Complaints
November 15, 2017

Thanks for sharing and I'm glad you enjoyed your time working at AvalonBay. I hope you're able to draw on the experience throughout your career. Thanks again!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AvalonBay Communities. Our community is ready to answer.