AvalonBay Communities Employee Reviews

Productive and fun place
Concierge (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAOctober 17, 2018
Faced pace environment with a great team of individuals who love to work together. there is room for advancement and great culture. I enjoy working with the residents and team.
Pros
Free lunches, team member appreciations, parties etc.
A great publicly traded real estate company
Director (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 8, 2018
AvalonBay has a great culture, business model and workforce. There are few real estate companies that in my opinion can compare. It is a meritocracy full of talented and friendly professionals who consistently strive to do the right thing.
October 11, 2018

Thank you for writing a review about your experiences at AVB! We really are happy to hear that you enjoy working with us, and hope you will continue to enjoy your time here for many more years!

dysfunctional
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 3, 2018
The company policies are reasonable but they're manipulated by management. They like to get people they know in the company and fire people if they don't like their character. Seemed pretty legit from the outside but way too corporate. Not enough oversight. Breaking OSHA rules left and right. Too many corners are cut at the expense of low level staff and the residents in order for management to collect their bonuses. They lie about company advancement unless you hang out with them outside of work. liars are rewarded and hard workers are "disciplined". They neglect and discriminate against affordable housing residents. Human Resources should be audited because they allow all of this to happen. Check your hours because they'll never overpay you but will definitely short your hours.
Pros
Health Insurance, Company events, occasional free lunch, most of the residents are great people
Cons
24-hour on-call(policies are not clear), terrible communication, do it yourself training, no respect for people
Reliable and fun work environment!
Community Consultant (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CaliforniaOctober 2, 2018
I have been working with AvalonBay Communities for the past 6 years and I love it. It is a great company to work and it has great benefits package too. At AvalonBay employees hard work is always recognized.
Pros
Paid time off and generous sick time!
Cons
Everything good!
October 11, 2018

Thank you for writing this glowing review! Congratulations on 6 years with the AVB team, and we wish you many more!

Best job I ever had
Sales and Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Dublin, CASeptember 28, 2018
I loved working for AvalonBay. I wish I’d never left. The managers are very supportive and knowledgeable. I always felt that I could ask for help if needed. My only wish is that the pay would match the market you work in more. It’s hard to work somewhere when you can’t afford to live there.
Pros
Excellent management and training.
Cons
Pay could be higher
October 11, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are always examining our compensation structure to make sure that we are providing a fair pay rate. If you are still interested in coming back, please apply online!

Great company to work for
Sr. Director (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaSeptember 27, 2018
AvalonBay has one of the best company cultures I've ever come across. The senior management does a tremendous job of making sure all of the employees feel like owners, and the results show. They are always open to feedback and improvement, and support a balanced work/life balance.
Pros
Great culture, great management
Relaxed and fun place to work...
Front Desk Concierge - Weekends only (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 14, 2018
Worked weekends only, was able to work freely and unsupervised. Because of this I felt that I was more productive in my work. AvalonBay is a Fortune 500 company that I was very fortunate to work for, management was great. This was a second job for me and working all week and weekends became a bit too much.

If the salary had been better, I would have quit my weekday job to work with them full time, positions were always available.
Pros
Management who cared about their employees...
Cons
There were none...
September 21, 2018

Thank you for writing this thoughtful review! We appreciate you for taking time to write a review about your experience while working at AVB.

twilight zone
Community Consultant (Current Employee) –  Acton, MASeptember 3, 2018
learned a lot, time goes by fast, don't blink or you'll be sitting in the same job 4 years later. Don't pay as much as they should. Alo they should give more of a discount on housing for full time employees.
October 11, 2018

Thank you for writing this review. We are always reviewing our compensation to make sure we are offering fair pay. If you have questions about anything, please feel free to talk to your manager or HR manager.

welcome back
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Westbury, NYAugust 29, 2018
i enjoyed working at Avalon the work is hard but can be completed with the right people behind you. i left this company and found there is no place like home. they welcomed me back and found new ways to make things better here. it can be fun and excitement and family is here at Avalon they care.
Pros
free lunches, work family
Cons
very busy
October 11, 2018

Welcome back to the AVB team! We are glad to have you here and are happy you enjoy working with us.

Document Control/Construction Administration
Construction Administrator (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAAugust 22, 2018
I Loved working for AVB. I worked there from 1998 to 2007.
I worked on numerous muli-family, multi-use projects in and around the King County and Snohomish County areas of Washington State. I also assisted in the close-out of other projects located in California and Oregon State.

Each project was similar in scope, but unique with each state. I was one of the first Accountant/Administrators to be able to input our own project budget and parameters for tracking costs utilizing Timberline System. We set the parameters on system then trained others in process. This allowed more flexibility to get the project financials in place to not hold up project completion.

Tracking all personal, payroll, setup from conception to completion of each project.
October 11, 2018

Thank you for writing this glowing review! We like to hear that our former associates loved working here and their work allowed them to have personal and professional fulfillment.

Very Productive place to work with great incentives.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAAugust 8, 2018
A typical day at work would be scheduling conference rooms and keying invoices. I learned to multi task and work well with a staff of 225. There aren't any hard parts to my position. The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to help people.
September 21, 2018

Always happy to hear that our associates are happy to work at AVB because they are able to make an impact in the lives of so many people. Also, thank you for writing this glowing review!

My favorite internship
Property Management Intern (Former Employee) –  North Potomac, MDAugust 8, 2018
AvalonBay Communities, Inc. was my favorite internship. It is a young atmosphere and a forward company.

I learned how to manage clients and understand the small details that have to do with business. The hardest part of the job was the work hours, but it was hard to not go to work each morning.

The company culture works with parents who have children to try and give them the days off that each employee needs. I cannot speak enough about the company culture and the supervisor I had while I was there.
Pros
Company events, company culture
September 21, 2018

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your internship at AVB. We wish you success in all your future endeavors! Hopefully, we will see you here again!

Good place to start
Community Consultant at eaves Fair Lakes (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJuly 25, 2018
If not familiar with day to day tasks with certain software in regards to sales, then this would be a good place to start. There's growth from within the company
August 7, 2018

Thank you for taking time to write a review! We are glad that you are taking advantage of the training provided to help grow your career within the company.

Okay place to work
Loss Mitigation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJuly 9, 2018
Good culture but company rarely hires from within. There are some departments that are constantly understaffed/high turnover that can cause you to have to do work outside of your normal processes
August 7, 2018

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback. We hear your concerns about being understaffed and doing work outside of your job. We have a group of recruiters dedicated to finding topnotch talent to hire into our positions. As they continue to work to find the talent, please communicate with your manager any concerns about workload or work/life balance. Also, there is an email sent every Thursday about job openings within the company where we welcome associates to apply. If you do not receive this email, please ask your manager to provide a copy of the openings.

Productive and always busy.
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 29, 2018
Hardest part of job is maintaining daily work schedules and not falling behind workload. Management determines work schedules and may be difficult for an individual without a family.
Pros
Regular lunches
Cons
Short breaks.
August 7, 2018

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us.We appreciate the honest feedback and will use this moving forward to better the experience of our associate's work/life balance. If you have specific concerns, please contact your HR manager to discuss those concerns.

Grat company to work for
Community Consultant, Avalon at Fairway Hills (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDJune 27, 2018
I was employed at Avalon for two years before relocating across country. Avalon will always be one of the best times in my career. My team was truly family. The company as a whole was one of the most training focused companies I have worked for. I love that they take the time to train and develop there employees. They give back to the communities in so many way. Overall its an AMAZING company and I'm glad I had the opportunity to learn and grow from them!
August 7, 2018

Wow, thanks for sharing such a great review with us! We are happy that you enjoyed working with us. We are also happy to hear that you love the people and the culture here. We feel the exact same way!

Leasing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 25, 2018
It is a great work environment. The tenants were great and i really the short time spent learning from my co workers and superiors. Definitely a place I would go back to!
August 7, 2018

Wow! Thank you for writing such an amazing review! We wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

Poor Management and organization
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Pomona, NYJune 11, 2018
The organization is extremely poor on all levels . Very little training in offered,and no job related tools are provided. On site safety was an issue .
Pros
Close to home
Cons
No organization
August 7, 2018

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. We appreciate the honest feedback and will use this moving forward to better the experience of our associates.

Great people and culture below the senior management levels
Senior Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 9, 2018
Great people and culture below the senior management levels. I would recommend this company to anyone who plans on staying at or below the General Manager level.
There are way too many silos/ different departments with competing goals in the upper and executive level management. Those levels appear to be completely disassociated from the wonderful culture that exists below the senior management. Very poor communication and teamwork in the upper and executive levels. It is, however, in the 30 years I have spent in the field, the best culture at the middle manager's levels and below, I have ever experienced.
I would recommend this company as an employee and resident to anyone who would like to go no further than a middle manager's level. An amazing amount of teamwork and opportunities at those levels.
Pros
Outstanding culture and opertunities
Cons
Very poor communication and teamwork in the upper and executive levels.
August 7, 2018

Thank you for taking time to write a review about your experience about working at AvalonBay Communities!

Work
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 3, 2018
The company has customers who pay a lot for the rent. But the workers they choose to pay not as great as they should for the amount of work done. 3 buildings is a lot of work and requires more pay I believe. These is other company’s with more commotion.
August 7, 2018

Thank you for writing a review about your experience working at AVB. We work hard to ensure that we pay our associates fairly. Please feel free to reach out to your HR Manager to discuss your concerns.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AvalonBay Communities. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about