AvalonBay Communities Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Very Productive place to work with great incentives.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAAugust 8, 2018
A typical day at work would be scheduling conference rooms and keying invoices. I learned to multi task and work well with a staff of 225. There aren't any hard parts to my position. The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to help people.
My favorite internship
Property Management Intern (Former Employee) –  North Potomac, MDAugust 8, 2018
AvalonBay Communities, Inc. was my favorite internship. It is a young atmosphere and a forward company.

I learned how to manage clients and understand the small details that have to do with business. The hardest part of the job was the work hours, but it was hard to not go to work each morning.

The company culture works with parents who have children to try and give them the days off that each employee needs. I cannot speak enough about the company culture and the supervisor I had while I was there.
Pros
Company events, company culture
Good place to start
Community Consultant at eaves Fair Lakes (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJuly 25, 2018
If not familiar with day to day tasks with certain software in regards to sales, then this would be a good place to start. There's growth from within the company
August 7, 2018

Thank you for taking time to write a review! We are glad that you are taking advantage of the training provided to help grow your career within the company.

Okay place to work
Loss Mitigation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJuly 9, 2018
Good culture but company rarely hires from within. There are some departments that are constantly understaffed/high turnover that can cause you to have to do work outside of your normal processes
August 7, 2018

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback. We hear your concerns about being understaffed and doing work outside of your job. We have a group of recruiters dedicated to finding topnotch talent to hire into our positions. As they continue to work to find the talent, please communicate with your manager any concerns about workload or work/life balance. Also, there is an email sent every Thursday about job openings within the company where we welcome associates to apply. If you do not receive this email, please ask your manager to provide a copy of the openings.

Productive and always busy.
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 29, 2018
Hardest part of job is maintaining daily work schedules and not falling behind workload. Management determines work schedules and may be difficult for an individual without a family.
Pros
Regular lunches
Cons
Short breaks.
August 7, 2018

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us.We appreciate the honest feedback and will use this moving forward to better the experience of our associate's work/life balance. If you have specific concerns, please contact your HR manager to discuss those concerns.

Grat company to work for
Community Consultant, Avalon at Fairway Hills (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDJune 27, 2018
I was employed at Avalon for two years before relocating across country. Avalon will always be one of the best times in my career. My team was truly family. The company as a whole was one of the most training focused companies I have worked for. I love that they take the time to train and develop there employees. They give back to the communities in so many way. Overall its an AMAZING company and I'm glad I had the opportunity to learn and grow from them!
August 7, 2018

Wow, thanks for sharing such a great review with us! We are happy that you enjoyed working with us. We are also happy to hear that you love the people and the culture here. We feel the exact same way!

Leasing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 25, 2018
It is a great work environment. The tenants were great and i really the short time spent learning from my co workers and superiors. Definitely a place I would go back to!
August 7, 2018

Wow! Thank you for writing such an amazing review! We wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

Poor Management and organization
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Pomona, NYJune 11, 2018
The organization is extremely poor on all levels . Very little training in offered,and no job related tools are provided. On site safety was an issue .
Pros
Close to home
Cons
No organization
August 7, 2018

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. We appreciate the honest feedback and will use this moving forward to better the experience of our associates.

Great people and culture below the senior management levels
Senior Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 9, 2018
Great people and culture below the senior management levels. I would recommend this company to anyone who plans on staying at or below the General Manager level.
There are way too many silos/ different departments with competing goals in the upper and executive level management. Those levels appear to be completely disassociated from the wonderful culture that exists below the senior management. Very poor communication and teamwork in the upper and executive levels. It is, however, in the 30 years I have spent in the field, the best culture at the middle manager's levels and below, I have ever experienced.
I would recommend this company as an employee and resident to anyone who would like to go no further than a middle manager's level. An amazing amount of teamwork and opportunities at those levels.
Pros
Outstanding culture and opertunities
Cons
Very poor communication and teamwork in the upper and executive levels.
August 7, 2018

Thank you for taking time to write a review about your experience about working at AvalonBay Communities!

Work
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 3, 2018
The company has customers who pay a lot for the rent. But the workers they choose to pay not as great as they should for the amount of work done. 3 buildings is a lot of work and requires more pay I believe. These is other company’s with more commotion.
August 7, 2018

Thank you for writing a review about your experience working at AVB. We work hard to ensure that we pay our associates fairly. Please feel free to reach out to your HR Manager to discuss your concerns.

Contract Admin
Contract Admin/Assistant VP Construction (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WAMay 30, 2018
The company is great, issues with some employees. Hardest part of the jobs is the proper communication from others. My commute is terrible most of the time, unless I work on a jobsite closer to my home.
Most enjoyable part of job
Community Concierge (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 23, 2018
Aiming to strive for the top of the line Customer Satisfaction.
Learning more patience with different attitudes in today's society.

I only dislike when long-term residents have a rent increase due to economy steadily growing. Residents really enjoy living at the property.
Due to increase. Residents can't afford to live there.
They have to leave since they can't afford to stay.
Pros
Great Gatherings, Meetings among all workers
Cons
Great people to work with.
productive
Maintenance Associate (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAMay 23, 2018
a typical work day consisted of turning units for potential new residents, preventive maintenance on all units, addressing repair requests from all tenants, keeping common areas clean and any other duties that management requested. i learned how to be part of a team working with other associates and management. I also learned customer service and how to deal with irate tenants without losing my cool and always figured out a solution to any problem. The hardest part of the job was the pay scale and that Avalon didn't allow me to use all of my skills to the fullest being that they knew my background.I enjoyed working with the other associates and the management was very accommodating.
Pros
good work environment and good management
Cons
salary
Productive and fun people to work with
Front Desk Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAMay 20, 2018
Handle all duties of the front desk and security of all guest coming and exiting the facility at all time. Security of all deliveries in and out of the facility.
Pros
Employess was treated very well and free gifts and lunches was a regular
Cons
lots of smoke breaks
Amazing culture
Counsel (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAMay 15, 2018
AvalonBay has an amazing culture, unlike any other company I have worked for. Management is engaged, intelligent, and truly "walks the talk" with respect to the company's core values, including invoking them when making tough decisions. Some departments are leanly staffed, so the work can be overwhelming, but the environment and the people make it such an enjoyable place to be.
Pros
Culture, people, strong management
Cons
Workload
The People are the Plus
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 27, 2018
The corporate culture itself as well as the people that up the company, are terrific. The approach to housing for their clients is right up there with the best of them.
Pros
The People
Procurement & Design Administrator (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAApril 23, 2018
Gained and learned alot from AVB. Met so many wonderful people, enjoyed this place because they were so family oriented and we always felt like a family.
April 27, 2018

Hi and thank you for your review! I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your time at AvalonBay. I agree that the people and culture make this a special place. Good luck in your new role!

Great Company Culture
Community Consultant (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsApril 11, 2018
I love working for AvalonBay. Management is great and the company often promotes from within. We're frequently given professional training, and AvalonBay as a company seems to be constantly evolving and keeping up with the times. Base pay is very fair and there's plenty of opportunity to make bonuses/commission.

Everyday is a little bit different but on a day-to-day basis I could be touring apartment homes, managing the office and property, or providing customer service to residents and prospective residents. The most difficult part of the job is the fast-pace, and being able to multitask and problem solve. However, having had a background in restaurants and hotels, I've discovered property management is very comparable in terms of customer service but with much better hours. I would highly recommend anyone to work for this company.
Pros
Fun coworkers, ability to meet new people and socialize, bonus pay, regular working hours, paid time off, benefits
Cons
Working the weekends
April 27, 2018

Thank you for your review. I'm glad to hear that you are learning and growing during your time here. Associates like you make AvalonBay a GREAT place to work!

Micro Manage Central
Community Consultant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 29, 2018
Avalon Bay is a large corporate company that has many locations to work for and room to move around. That being said, you will need to play their micromanaged chess.
Benefits
Cons
Micro management
April 27, 2018

I appreciate you taking the time to leave a review and am sorry to hear about your experience. I will share your feedback with our leadership team. Good luck in your future endeavors.

Disorganized and no training
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New JerseyMarch 19, 2018
Maybe for a first job this may be an option but not for someone with experience. No formal training. Seemed very disorganized and some peers were not helpful. Lacking formal processes.
Pros
Cons
Pay, no training and little help from peers
April 27, 2018

We appreciate your feedback regarding your experience at AvalonBay. Providing our associates with ongoing training, especially throughout the onboarding process, is a key focus for the company. Your feedback will be shared with our leadership team.