Avenue Stores Employee Reviews

Horrible culture
Associate (Current Employee) –  Rochelle Park, NJMay 24, 2019
Terrible work life balance. Expectations of getting more done with less people is unrealistic, with legacy software and technology. The only way to get things done effectively and efficiently is through team work and cross functional partnerships none of which can be found at Avenue. This culture starts with the leadership team and has trickled down to the associates. What used to be a great place to work has become toxic. Very sad.
Pros
Summer fridays
Should have kept up with the times
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, OHMay 21, 2019
This store no longer exists but I happen modest time there they were credit sales driven and had a lot of problems with that service. It took them under the justification of it all was they were not will to address the issue of making things work forward, I have a keep moving forward they had a stay put way of work.
Pros
Stuck in the past but now, they don’t exist
Cons
They can make a comeback if they tried
helped me with a lot of my sales skills
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Broadview, ILMarch 28, 2019
the avenue helped with me going form being an associate to getting into management within six months, I stayed till they shut us down nearly six years later.
Terrible company and even worse management
Store Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Gresham, ORMarch 11, 2019
They work their managers to the bone and then treat them like criminals during loss prevention visits. They have archaic systems that do not even take debit cards. They expect you to be able to scan the whole store every week, work clearance into a small area, get everything onto the right rack with a multitude of different discounts. Their products shrink and the sizing is not correct. The expectations of moving the store around on a weekly basis while having coverage of 2 people all day is impossible, You are always behind and they only allow one register at a time to be open. And the store is not ADA accessible.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Everything else
Under staffed work place
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXMarch 10, 2019
One of the least favorable work experiences in all of my Retail Career. Upper Management not encouraging and little to now hands on training to promote a successful environment.
Pros
Customers were friendly and nice to work with
Cons
Stressful work environment
A winning Team
Director (Current Employee) –  Rochelle Park, NJMarch 6, 2019
New leadership at Avenue has made a positive impact on the business. They have implemented structure, reporting, and continuing to invest in the company. Culture is collaborative and fast-paced so you need to come with a great attitude and a will to work!
Pros
Team atmosphere
Cons
Tenured associates have difficulty changing
fast pace
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZFebruary 28, 2019
its a good place to work part time, they CAN be flexible at times. if you want a full time retail job I do not recommend. they only hire full time assistant managers (I was one of them) when you are full time tons of pressure is put on your shoulders that definitely should not be especially is you need a specific day off or need to call in for an emergency. it seems like its very one sided, and it would not be your side that's taken. I would have to say that the hardest part of the job was actually walking in to do your job.
Pros
the associates and a few managers
Cons
the upper management, tons of unrelated pressure is added, and the customers are just nasty
Avenue
Part Time Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Hackensack, NJFebruary 22, 2019
At Avenue, a typical day includes providing excellent customer service and making sure each and every customer feels welcomed. I learned how to rearrange the sales floor to coordinate with the daily and weekly promotions and I learned about the cash maintenance and cash register policies. The hardest part of the job is keeping our store tidy. Many customers shop throughout the day, so there are always clothes or shoes that need to be put back in their place. The most enjoyable part of the job are the people that I work with. They're an amazing team.
Maybe it was just at the store I worked in..
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAFebruary 7, 2019
I was promoted to assistant manager after 8 months of working there so that was a plus but overall management sucked. Our syore manager had to go back and forth between two stores because they were always short staffed so the Co manager and I had to do most of the work. The DSM would leave mean voicemails in the morning if we did not meet our sales/credit goals because everyday you have to have a minimum amount of people open up credit card accounts even though most our customers are regulars and already have cards and it's not a very popular store where new people keep coming in.. Also the other employees would call off a couple hrs before their shift and I would have to cover their shifts without even asking me if i could do it or not.
And dont let me get started on the Magazine's we had to offer! It was such an inconvenience for everyone. It ruined relationships I had with some of the customers And we were basically obligated to offer them. My experience was just not great.
Pros
Great employee discount
Cons
Everything else
Culture has gone down hill
Director (Current Employee) –  Rochelle Park, NJJanuary 26, 2019
New management has no regard for employees and the business decisions being made are questionable. Expectations to deliver new programs with out-dated systems in compressed timelines. Communication of company vision is lacking and some leadership team members keep key parties in the dark on projects and decisions.
Avenue
Assisant Manager (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAJanuary 7, 2019
great work place. Wide variety of people. Great interactions. Very neat. Friendly atmosphere. I love styling plus women and helping them find their confidence in their clothing.
The crew was nice, they help a lot when I was promoted to a management position
sales associate - assistant manager (Former Employee) –  Renton, WA 98058December 29, 2018
When I first started working at the avenue they were debating on hiring me because I was only 18, and it was my first job.
They ended up taking a chance on me because I would go in there everyday asking if they reviewed my resume and decided.
One of the managers spoke up for saying how determined I was for this job, and to hire because she wasn’t going to find anyone else like that.
So I got a call and I started work as a sales associate, like everyone else.
But I didn’t stop there, another manager was looking for a part time job at the time and they needed another manger, and as young as I was at the time I wanted more, more experience. So I told my manger I was interested in the position.
From there on they trained me and answered all my questions.
I think if your determined and looking for a place to strive and seize opportunities this is the right place.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Two people required in store at all times
productive
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, MADecember 10, 2018
another great starter place to work on customer service. will recommend this job to anyone in their teenage years looking for a starter job. great opportunity to learn tons on things
i mean its a job...
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Maple Heights, OHNovember 27, 2018
want really the best job since I have a family at home .The manager there was terrible and she just made the worst work environment other than that it was the fact of the low minimum wage pay and the over hours. yet there was no OT available.. Overall it just wasn't the job for me and I was glad to quit
no advancement opportunities
Co- store manager (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 27, 2018
not enough locations in area to move up. most managemnt has been with company more than 10yrs not going anywhere. need a larger company to have growth potential
Pros
employee discount hours of operation customers flexible schedule
Cons
no advancement opportunities
It’s a great turn over rate
Manager (Current Employee) –  MarylandNovember 24, 2018
I loved that I was giving the opportunity to come in the door as an co manager but this work force has no good work ethic and I need to work with positive people theses women aren’t that,
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Health care benefits
Overall Good place to work.
KEY HOLDER/CUSTOMER SERVICE (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALNovember 13, 2018
A day typically consisted of meeting sales goals that were given once your shift began. Providing quality customer service. Restocking merchandise as needed. Keeping the store clean and organized. You were expected to meet credit goals as well which means open new customer credit card accounts. Overall it was a good place to work. The people were friendly and other employees were happy and enjoyed their job.
Pros
not alot of stress, discount, decent pay
Cons
most positions are only part time at the store I worked
Productive fun work place
Server (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCNovember 8, 2018
I enjoy working here the staff is very friendly and we all get along great. Management is also amazing I couldn't ask for a better manager. I love meeting the guests and having a good experience with them. I have learned not every guest is the same. Even though it's fine dining there are different routes we must take to ensure each guest has the best dining experience.
Cons
no healthcare
Relaxed work place
Cajera, empleado de venta (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, NJNovember 1, 2018
Good coworkers relaxed work area. Lots of leadership flexible hours, stress-free work. easy and understanding team work as well as the cash register and organizing shipment.
Fast-paced job
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Selma, TXOctober 31, 2018
This was your typical retail job. They do push store credit-card sales which was the biggest stress about the position. I was able to move up into management very quickly and enjoyed working with my co-workers and managers.
Pros
Store discount, flexible hours
Cons
Short breaks, push to meet high sales goals

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Avenue Stores. Our community is ready to answer.