Avenue Stores Employee Reviews for Assistant Manager

Should have kept up with the times
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, OHMay 21, 2019
This store no longer exists but I happen modest time there they were credit sales driven and had a lot of problems with that service. It took them under the justification of it all was they were not will to address the issue of making things work forward, I have a keep moving forward they had a stay put way of work.
Pros
Stuck in the past but now, they don’t exist
Cons
They can make a comeback if they tried
Maybe it was just at the store I worked in..
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAFebruary 7, 2019
I was promoted to assistant manager after 8 months of working there so that was a plus but overall management sucked. Our syore manager had to go back and forth between two stores because they were always short staffed so the Co manager and I had to do most of the work. The DSM would leave mean voicemails in the morning if we did not meet our sales/credit goals because everyday you have to have a minimum amount of people open up credit card accounts even though most our customers are regulars and already have cards and it's not a very popular store where new people keep coming in.. Also the other employees would call off a couple hrs before their shift and I would have to cover their shifts without even asking me if i could do it or not.
And dont let me get started on the Magazine's we had to offer! It was such an inconvenience for everyone. It ruined relationships I had with some of the customers And we were basically obligated to offer them. My experience was just not great.
Pros
Great employee discount
Cons
Everything else
Poor Pay & Management
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  PAOctober 12, 2018
Store manager is nice and helpful, the co-manager is mean and un-personable. The job is boring with lack of customer flow. The co needs better signage or advertising cause most people never heard of Avenue. The pay is horrible probably due to lack of money being made, some days you may only see 4-5 customers. Honestly idk how they pay associates.
Pros
Customer relationships
Cons
Poor management
Drive to succeed
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  VirginiaOctober 9, 2018
A typical day at work always included filling out daily paperwork, opening or closing the store, cleaning, marketing the stock to company standards. Providing the best customer service experiences possible.

I learned how to track and maintain banking procedures and debits.

Management depends on the team and your DSM. I liked my DSM and my team.

Fashion forward for the curvy women.

When you had a customer who couldn't find something that suited what she wanted.

Having my customers leave happy.
Typical Retail Job
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GASeptember 11, 2018
Nothing to major about Avenue. its your typical retail job. The best part are the clients you meet on a daily basis. I was in retail for 7 years prior to this job and just got tired of the retail world.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Novi, MIAugust 22, 2018
A typical day at avenue is opening the store. Closing register at the end of day. helping a customer find outfits that compliment her style for work or at home. merchandising product. encouraging the other associates. doing promotions. I have learned that the clothing season changes really fast. The management is easy going but tough when needs to be. The culture at Avenue is friendly. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping the customer walk out of the store with something that they love.
Pleasant
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Wallington, NJAugust 7, 2018
I enjoyed working at the Avenue. I moved up the success ladder pretty quickly due to my sale goals. They are flexible with scheduling/hours. I wish they did offer more pay though. Only a $1 difference between part-time sales floor and assistant manager. No benefits offered.
Pros
flexible scheduling, working with customers
Cons
little pay, no benefits
Not a fun place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIAugust 6, 2018
If you like to be talk down to and criticized then this is the place for you. The Manager is a control freak. You won't be learning anything You're expected to know. If you want to learn and be part of the team and have fun at work this is not the place for you.
Benefits
Cons
Everything else
Work here only if you need extra money
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 25, 2018
Avenue was a decent place to work. The management of the whole operation however seemed to lack a lot of professionalism,no innovation, and very little career advancement. The typical work day was assisting our specialty clientele put together full ensembles to push more sales; merchandising; cleaning; and payment processing.. The only thing I learned from this job is no one can be trusted. There was a lot of drama and shady business going on... The workplace culture was stale and boring unless you brought your own ideas to the table and convinced others to get on board to feel like a team. The job was very easy..no hard parts at all. The most enjoyable part was simply chatting with the regulars you get to know and love.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
everything else
productive and amazing store team
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAApril 4, 2018
the company lacks in certain areas and I was put in a couple poor situations but my experience working in the store, and with the employees i worked with were always amazing.
Pros
flexible scheduling, great experience
Retail Sales
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 27, 2018
Very enjoyable work environment. Great management. Nice discount for clothes and accessories. A typical day consisted of assisting shoppers locate clothing, arrange floor layout, and maintain an organized store.
Terrible place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Ballwin, MOMarch 18, 2018
Manager was vindictive and petty. The pay was low for my position. Promised career advancement opportunities and given none. Hostile work environment.
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
Hostile work environment
Good employer
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Orange, NJMarch 9, 2018
I was the assistant manager for 2 years at a location that has closed however during my time there the store manager was very supportive, responsible and great collaboration amongst the employees.
Fun place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 23, 2018
I got to meet new people everyday and help ladies with outfits and feel good about themselves. I received and process new merchandise. I balanced out cash registers daily and made bank deposits daily. I made work schedules and submitted payroll to corporate. I processed credit card payments and opened new accounts. I delegated work duties to the other staff and built displays for sales.
Cons
compensation
Ridiculous Company with Ridiculously Priced Clothing and Management
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Evergreen Park, ILJanuary 13, 2018
If you see this job offer, run! I would not recommend this company to my worst enemy. The pay is terrible, there isn't any "up" to advance to and you are required to solicit materials to customers. You are also required to do housekeeping duties such as mopping, cleaning windows/mirrors, dusting, sweeping, vacuuming, changing light bulbs (which require ladder climbing), cleaning air vents, and the occasional MacGyver style fixing and rigging of broken furniture and store fixtures.
As far as work environment, it's a really messy, gossip-laden atmosphere that trails all the way up to the regional managers and tends to trickle back down and affect the daily operations of the stores.
Pros
Healthcare and PTO ( only if you're full-time mgmt)
Cons
Pay, Lack of Advancement, Solicitation Requirements
boring place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Escondido, CAJanuary 5, 2018
This company did not follow thru with the promised hours and the clientele is not average so the stores are very slow and not a fun environment at all.
Excellent options in fashion for plus size woman.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CANovember 13, 2017
Avenue will provide the necessary training to be prepared for a high fashion in demand retail envoronment. While learning the shopping habits and experiences in the world of beautiful plus size women.
Pros
Balanced
Cons
Late nights
Waste of time
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Bowie MarylandOctober 21, 2017
I had the worst time working here. Very poor management, extremely low hours on average I worked 10 hours a week as a "full time " employee. The business was very slow to the point were management decided to make cuts. They knew this information 3weeks in advance however they did not tell the associates giving them enough time to make attempts to find other employment opportunities simply because they did not want them to quit before they closed out the store. luckily one of the managers slipped up and told me what was going on and advised me to start looking for another job or else I would've been assed out like 15 other employees.
The funny thing is after they fired everyone they realized that the company wasn't doing as bad as they thought financially and asked us if we would like to work there again, as if we would be foolish enough to work there again with low pay and 6hrs a week.
Pros
Cons
every thing
no longer in business
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCOctober 3, 2017
No longer in business, high turnover, commission for opening new credit card accounts with customers, poor management, long hours for management with no room for advancement
High turnover
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXSeptember 11, 2017
The turnover was a problem in this business. It was a stressful place to work because the employees were not happy with the store manager and the rumors of the store closing.
Pros
Discount
Cons
rumors of store closing and high turnover

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Avenue Stores. Our community is ready to answer.