Avenue Stores Employee Reviews for Sales Associate

The crew was nice, they help a lot when I was promoted to a management position
sales associate - assistant manager (Former Employee) –  Renton, WA 98058December 29, 2018
When I first started working at the avenue they were debating on hiring me because I was only 18, and it was my first job.
They ended up taking a chance on me because I would go in there everyday asking if they reviewed my resume and decided.
One of the managers spoke up for saying how determined I was for this job, and to hire because she wasn’t going to find anyone else like that.
So I got a call and I started work as a sales associate, like everyone else.
But I didn’t stop there, another manager was looking for a part time job at the time and they needed another manger, and as young as I was at the time I wanted more, more experience. So I told my manger I was interested in the position.
From there on they trained me and answered all my questions.
I think if your determined and looking for a place to strive and seize opportunities this is the right place.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Two people required in store at all times
i mean its a job...
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Maple Heights, OHNovember 27, 2018
want really the best job since I have a family at home .The manager there was terrible and she just made the worst work environment other than that it was the fact of the low minimum wage pay and the over hours. yet there was no OT available.. Overall it just wasn't the job for me and I was glad to quit
Good
Sale Associate (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXAugust 28, 2018
Typical work day was keeping the store clean and stocked with the newest inventory. Will working at Avenue I learned how to open/close the store. Management was great! Love the ladies I worked with.
Hardest part
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Watauga, TXAugust 22, 2018
When you work in retail the hardest part is dealing with the angry customers. I learned that you just have to keep your cool and just breathe. Management was very understanding when you didn't know exactly how to handle some situations but you live and learn.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Henrico County, VAAugust 22, 2018
Working at Avenue I learned how to be around others. Both young and old. I worked at Avenue to get a feel for how it is to be around older women. Being that it was a plus-size store, our sales were mostly older women. Sometimes the outcome with helping older women were stressful and sometimes it wasn’t so stressful. But all in all, I needed that to get me to where I’m destined to go. Which is working at a nursing home or rehabilitation center with older women/men.
Pros
Experience to work with older women
Cons
Poor management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  East Hanover, NJAugust 9, 2018
Great place to work and learn the business. It was a easy place to learn the cash register, hand money and promote sales. The company had a fun , up beat staff.
Pros
discounts
Cons
low wage
No Regard for Employees
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, NYAugust 1, 2018
This company does not have any regard for its employees. Many times we were working past our scheduled hours without getting paid. Raises are non-existent unless you are promoted to manager, but even then it is a minuscule increase. The pay is not worth the work they expect from every employee. Every store is understaffed and managers do not follow your availability. The focus is on getting customers to sign up for credit cards and magazines but there's not enough incentives to get them to sign up and then it looks poorly on the associates. Meanwhile, they expect you to move clothes around weekly, taking down and putting up different fixtures and promotions, and cleaning the entire story top to bottom instead of hiring a cleaning crew.
Pros
Cons
Disregard for employees
Drama
Sales Associate/Assistant Manager/Co-Manager (Former Employee) –  Kearny, NJJuly 28, 2018
Dont work for the kearny nj location. The management is unprofessional and lazy. They like to cause drama and tension. No team player. The dm micro manages everything and if you dont sell credit cards your job is threatened and they treat you like a child. Low pay for all the work they demand. No benefits if you work part time. Not enough hours for part timers.
Pros
Rewards and discounts
Cons
Low pay for all the work they demand
Fun place to work and managment is good too.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Temple, TXJuly 19, 2018
There is little job security and the money sucks. No chance for bonus or raises. The people are good to be around. The only good thing is that the managers reap the benefits.
Pros
good working environment
Cons
no benefits
What I learned
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Lake Worth, TXJuly 10, 2018
We had to constantly change product around for it to sell. We had shipment Monday thru Friday and we had to rotate the old with the new. New items always were displayed first and in the very front of the store.
Pros
Very nice staff
Cons
No benefits
Retail
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CAJune 24, 2018
Working at Avenue it was a casual atmosphere. The management pressured the sales associates to push credit cards and magazine subscriptions on customers.
Pros
Flexible schedule, employee discounts
Cons
Too much pressure to sell credit and magazines
Learing the experience of customer service
Clothing Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Harlingen, TXJune 17, 2018
Enjoyed working there as my first job enjoyed getting to meet new people. Learning to use customer service learning how to be organized and having our store look top notch.
Pros
Enjoyed spending time with co workers
Cons
Not having insurance
Poor
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Duluth, GAMay 14, 2018
The management team is very poor. They choose from their favorites as to who would get a raise or promotion. They have poor management skills. The upper managers don't care about their employees.
Calm and enjoyable workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 2, 2018
I started to work with this company as part. I really loved working at the store and enjoyed with my managers. This company was real good in working with associates in schedules.
Outgoing and laid back atmosphere
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Largo, FLApril 2, 2018
Assist customers in selecting outfits, finding sizes, and offer fashion forward advice.
Assist with floor set execution; hang/fold shipment and put on sales floor according to floor set.
Greet customers and provide customer service; up sell customers to apply for a credit card or a magazine package.
Cashiering, money handling, deposit, and end of day procedures.
End of shift duties: vacuuming entire store, put away unwanted items from fitting rooms, clean mirrors, take out trash.

Store management was excellent. Store manager and assistant managers were awesome to work with and to support staff.

The hardest part of the job was trying to offer store credit card to customers because most of the customers were already regular customers who had the card already. Up-selling customers to receive a magazine package.

The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the new styles that were received and implementing them on the sales floor; meeting new people.
Pros
Flexible hours, excellent management, laid back atmosphere
Cons
Healthcare benefits not offered to non management employees.
productive and fun workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Chino Hills, CAMarch 29, 2018
love working for this store, provided me with an open schedule, employee discount is super nice. management works with your hours, very chill store not much hard work. most enjoyable part is being helpful and talkative with costumers.
Pros
discounts
Cons
low hours
Sales Associate
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  United StatesMarch 25, 2018
There's not always anything to do. Some days there nothing and other days there is way too much to get done in one day. The polices need to be updated if anything their policies drive customers away. They are way too credit card and magazine oriented. You have to sell magazines if you work here.
Pros
Work Staff
Cons
Policies, No Hours, Micromanaged
Slow Paced Work Environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 8, 2018
Great job but the assistant manager encouraged laziness. Would limit your work so that others on later shifts had more to do. Would tell me to take breaks/sit instead of doing daily tasks.
Pros
Easy work environment.
Cons
Negative customer's, no challenges.
Stressful, Competitive

Hardest Part of Job- Having Pressure to Open Company Cards

Enjoyable Part of the Job- Employees
Typical Retail
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MADecember 20, 2017
Management had lack of proper communication skills with management and employees. Poor training. Pushed responsibilities that was mostly done by one person. Blame placing. Over all typical retail but with lack of responsibilities, poor communication, and poor training.
Pros
Discounts in store
Cons
Had to do all ladder work (not shared), poor communication among employees and management, poor training

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Avenue Stores. Our community is ready to answer.