Avera Health Employee Reviews

Worst place I’ve ever worked.
Dietary Cook (Former Employee) –  Parkston, SDJanuary 21, 2019
I worked in dietary for almost 5 years. Loved most everyone that I worked with in the kitchen, but the rest of the facility, not so much. I was the new person on the block and was treated as such. No one outside the kitchen tried to get to know me and I was looked at like a disease. Upper management, such as the CEO and Administrator didn’t care what was happening outside of their “favorite departments.” You couldn’t complain to your dietary boss because she wouldn’t do anything about the problems that were going on anyways and would let problems escalate and people would yell and fight and just overall too much drama and favoritism and the CEO didn’t care about what was going on and if you weren’t one of her favorite employees she wouldn’t listen to what you had to stay. Everyone in this facility judges people before they know them and doesn’t give anyone a chance. You’re treated so terribly by so many people that it would be hard for anyone to stay here.
Pros
Cons
Too many to mention
Love the residents, high work load
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  South DakotaJune 26, 2018
I enjoy the residents at our facility, but the workload on the staff, especially CNA’s is exhausting. The resident to staff ratio is very high so you’re on your feet trying to rush from one room to another all day. Usually the only slow time is the 20 to 30 minutes at shift change. Weekends are easier because there are no baths over the weekend so that means one extra person on the floor and no removing and replacing bedding which on weekdays needs to be done by the CNA’s for the people who have baths that day (usually 10 residents). Weekdays have only two CNA’s on the floor doing all this along with getting residents up and dressed for breakfast. The 3rd CNA is giving baths until late morning. I enjoy most of the people and residents I work with, my supervisor is amazing but the workload is very high.
Pros
Great benefits, continued education, wonderful residents
Cons
High work load, always short staffed because of this
Wonderful coworkers, nurse manager was approachable and helpful.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Pierre, SDOctober 29, 2018
I loved my job with Avera as an OB/Gyn Nurse. I worked with an OBGYN provider and could not have asked for a better person to work with. The nurse manager was always available and willing to talk or help out if needed. My coworkers were hardworking and always willing to help pick up the slack when staffing was short. My patients were my reason for going to work everyday. I missed them all dearly when I left Avera. I would often hear from them on social media or if I would see them in public. They were always thankful for the care provided by the provider and I. My job at Avera was very rewarding and I deeply regret leaving.
Pros
Daytime hours
Cons
Short staffed
Good hours
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wessington Springs, SDOctober 11, 2018
This place had good hours and was benefit for picking up shifts. Management definitely played favoritism. And they don’t give you much time to recover after an accident,, and they still deduct points even with a doctors note to miss work.
A great place to work!
Business Office Associate (Current Employee) –  Parkston, SDAugust 26, 2018
I have learned so much from this company and all the great employees. The staff are so knowledgeable and helpful not only to patients but also to each other.
Pros
Great Benefits, friendly environment, flexability
Culture Change for worse
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Pierre, SDApril 26, 2018
This small town hospital is run like a large city hospital. Nurses are not valued and easily fired. It is not staffed appropriately and there is minimal support from management. CEO and Medical Director need to be replaced with someone who is ready to build a healthcare TEAM.
Pros
Cons
pay, management, hours, lack of support
Be very Flexible & prepared for many changes
Project Coordinator - Regional (Former Employee) –  Pierre, SD 57501September 27, 2017
I worked under the roof of Avera, however all of my expenses, including salary, was paid through Federal Grants.
Avera staff and my Supervisor had our individual offices..

Often times there was a week or more of not seeing Avera staff, including my supervisor. I was in charge of my department and
did not require constant supervision.

My work was very demanding, via telephones and walk-in clients. Due to this there was very few occasions to gather and interact, except for monthly staff meeting.

Frequent Management changes are the norm

Volunteerism for community events frequently needed.
Contribution of funds to many frequent causes
Pros
Great benefits and potential for advancement
Cons
An indifference towards those who did not have a college background.
Workplace
IT Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDOctober 18, 2018
Great place, amazing people to work with, they make office hours fun even though it can be a pain sometimes. Time off is super nice to have here and really into family and making sure you are happy with you job and help you in any way
Competitive workplace
Surgical Radiologic Technologist (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDAugust 7, 2018
I Performed diagnostic fluoroscopy with C-arms and O-arm. I took care of patients in the ICU that needed x-rays. I placed verbal orders for surgeries that came into the Operating area. I made sure the c-arms were clean before the day and at the end of my shifts. I was a record keeper for all of my cases and made sure to follow Hipaa to the best of my abilities.
Pros
independence
Cons
most days no breaks.
fast paced, welcoming envrioment
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Eureka, SDAugust 22, 2018
Patient and environmental safety.
Proficient in basic skills of patient care.
Vital signs and patient observation.
Knowledgeable in medical terminology.
HIPAA and patient privacy.
Excellent communication skills.
Use of proper documentation standards.
Integration Engineer (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDApril 3, 2018
Continuous restructuring, long time employees losing benefits, although they are trying to create a standard across all regions which is good for new employees. Administators firm on old time ways. I do feel that the organization is realiable and I would recommend them as employable option.
Collaborative Environment
IDENTITY AND ACCESS MGMT PROVISIONING SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Mitchell, SDApril 22, 2018
I have really enjoyed working at Avera Health and if I weren't relocating back to New England, I would work there until retirement. It is a very good place to work.
Pros
Autonomany and good benefits
Cons
There are really no cons
Fun place
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDApril 19, 2018
Avera is a good place to work. Management and communication is not the best. Hours are ok. People are fun to work with. Staff is amazing. Great for a part time job
this office is no longer there
Clinic Site Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDJuly 24, 2018
This office is no longer a clinic within Avera so it is hard for me to review it. I had a wonderful Physician that I worked for and we had a very cohesive group that I worked with.
Uncomfortable and judged
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDMay 23, 2018
Would come in for my shift in the morning and made to feel as though I was interrupting the morning huddle with other coworkers. No one acknowledge I was in the room and no one cared what I thought. No one made any attempt to know me. No one cared. When I handed in my resignation the manager said "Thank You" as if I gave them a scooby snack.
Pros
Cons
Too many to name
Productive and Educational
Behavioral Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDApril 2, 2018
Great place to work. Good camaraderie amongst employees. Great benefits and great scheduling if you're looking for overtime hours. One of the best work experiences to date.
Pros
Salary
Executive Assistant to CEO/Administrator
Executive Assistant to Administrator/CEO (Former Employee) –  Dell Rapids, SDJune 12, 2018
Great Place to work
I liked the challenge
The doctors and the staff were all exceptional to work with and would do it again if I could.
Meetings were very informational. I learned alot working there.
Very healthy and supportive employer
Senior Program Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDJune 21, 2018
I loved working at ABH. They are fantastic people and are some of the most supportive people I have ever worked for. The pay is pretty awful but I can't say anything bad about the company.
working
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mitchell, SDMay 15, 2018
it was very fun to work there, the other workers were always willing to help you when you need it. The residents are very friendly, but you will get some that are difficult, but thats anywhere. Over all a great place to work.
Great work environment
Environmental Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pierre, SDFebruary 9, 2018
I love avera. Was the best job I ever had, my work experience there was extremely satisfying. Great management team. Great employees. Great everything. Miss it
Pros
Great work environment