Avera Health Employee Reviews

Love the residents, high work load
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  South DakotaJune 26, 2018
I enjoy the residents at our facility, but the workload on the staff, especially CNA’s is exhausting. The resident to staff ratio is very high so you’re on your feet trying to rush from one room to another all day. Usually the only slow time is the 20 to 30 minutes at shift change. Weekends are easier because there are no baths over the weekend so that means one extra person on the floor and no removing and replacing bedding which on weekdays needs to be done by the CNA’s for the people who have baths that day (usually 10 residents). Weekdays have only two CNA’s on the floor doing all this along with getting residents up and dressed for breakfast. The 3rd CNA is giving baths until late morning. I enjoy most of the people and residents I work with, my supervisor is amazing but the workload is very high.
Pros
Great benefits, continued education, wonderful residents
Cons
High work load, always short staffed because of this
Uncomfortable and judged
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDMay 23, 2018
Would come in for my shift in the morning and made to feel as though I was interrupting the morning huddle with other coworkers. No one acknowledge I was in the room and no one cared what I thought. No one made any attempt to know me. No one cared. When I handed in my resignation the manager said "Thank You" as if I gave them a scooby snack.
Pros
Cons
Too many to name
Collaborative Environment
IDENTITY AND ACCESS MGMT PROVISIONING SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Mitchell, SDApril 22, 2018
I have really enjoyed working at Avera Health and if I weren't relocating back to New England, I would work there until retirement. It is a very good place to work.
Pros
Autonomany and good benefits
Cons
There are really no cons
Fun place
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDApril 19, 2018
Avera is a good place to work. Management and communication is not the best. Hours are ok. People are fun to work with. Staff is amazing. Great for a part time job
Integration Engineer (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDApril 3, 2018
Continuous restructuring, long time employees losing benefits, although they are trying to create a standard across all regions which is good for new employees. Administators firm on old time ways. I do feel that the organization is realiable and I would recommend them as employable option.
Great work environment
Environmental Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pierre, SDFebruary 9, 2018
I love avera. Was the best job I ever had, my work experience there was extremely satisfying. Great management team. Great employees. Great everything. Miss it
Pros
Great work environment
Amazing place to work
RN Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SD 57108January 9, 2018
Good people, strong mission, good life/work balance. Leadership at all levels-facility & corporate genuinely cared for staff-all staff whether front line, leaders, or corporate. Flexibility allowed for some remote work from home.
Pros
Work from home, celebrations that showed staff they are valued.
Excellent
Interim Director, Surgical Services (Current Employee) –  Marshall, MINovember 24, 2017
Excellent professional support system with quality patient care as their priority. Nurses are well respected and mentored. CEO and CNO are exemplary and incredible to work with.
Food Service is a miserable area
Food Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDOctober 28, 2017
If you're thinking of working in food service at Avera Hospital, save yourself the headache. A few coworkers were beyond lazy. One would watch cartoons all shift and expected her other coworkers to do her work. Other coworkers told me off right to my face. Managers conveniently forgot the facts and used that against several coworkers. There's a very good reason that there's a $250 hiring bonus. If you like bullies, go ahead and apply.
Pros
Good food
Cons
Lazy coworkers, poor management, bullying
Poorly led without concrete direction
Medical Director (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDOctober 3, 2017
Two separate companies that merged and are trying to find their way. One is profit motivated and the other not . Melding the two cultures difficult.At this point, we have two full time medical directors and two part time medical directors all with uncertain futures. I do not find the environment very challenging and feel as if I'm just occupying space which is not comfortable for me.I have a long history of challenging projects and am not fulfilled. I feel that a part time job working from home would be a good fit at this time in my life.
Pros
Set my own work hours
Cons
Lack of cohesive leadership.
Be very Flexible & prepared for many changes
Project Coordinator - Regional (Former Employee) –  Pierre, SD 57501September 27, 2017
I worked under the roof of Avera, however all of my expenses, including salary, was paid through Federal Grants.
Avera staff and my Supervisor had our individual offices..

Often times there was a week or more of not seeing Avera staff, including my supervisor. I was in charge of my department and
did not require constant supervision.

My work was very demanding, via telephones and walk-in clients. Due to this there was very few occasions to gather and interact, except for monthly staff meeting.

Frequent Management changes are the norm

Volunteerism for community events frequently needed.
Contribution of funds to many frequent causes
Pros
Great benefits and potential for advancement
Cons
An indifference towards those who did not have a college background.
Scheduling
Scheduling Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Brookings, SDAugust 3, 2017
Zero communication
No HR rep on site
New employees start at higher pay than employees that have worked for avera several years.
High turnover / always under staffed
No sick time so must use pto
Employee opinions are not valued
Cons
SF has options for health care
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDJuly 8, 2017
working the Avera Health part of Avera (not directly for any of the hospitals, more corporate) was okay, the overall healthcare side seemed decent, but when there were concerns brought forward, they were swept under the rug
Avera was a GREAT place to work!!
Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDJune 13, 2017
I processed payments from insurance companies. I answered phone calls from patients with questions in regards to their accounts and from insurance companies in regards to payments they have made to Avera. I sent collection letters to patients when their accounts went 30-90 days past due and if they reached 120 days, I would send them to collections.
I learned alot about insurance companies and how different each one is when it comes to paying accounts.
The workplace culture was very relaxed and easy going. Everyone at Avera was so nice and helpful.
The hardest part of my job was not being able to talk to my co-workers while working.
The most enjoyable part of it was how helpful any person in my office was.If I ever move back to SD, I will definitely apply back at Avera.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
I don't have any cons with Avera
Stressful work environment
Director (Former Employee) –  Mitchell, SDMay 23, 2017
Upper Management in the business office has no regards for it's employees only it's bottom line. Don't let the non-profit heading fool you they are very greedy. If you work there watch your back. If you are new to Avera you will have an uphill battle to ever fit in.
Pros
PTO program
Cons
No breaks, never good enough, they will talk behind your back after you leave so it is hard to get another job.
Patient services rep jobs suck
PSR (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDMarch 22, 2017
Management is "political favoritism" with little chance to advance. Communication is poor, on-boarding is non-existent. No employee development or encouragement but plenty of criticism without training. Low pay. Low work/life balance since you come home so stressed you don't want to do anything but go to bed!! Employee engagement is discouraged! No incentives. Management does not reward competent work but rather only lazy work.
Caring, Reliable, and Fun Enviroment
CNA MED AIDE (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls SDJanuary 20, 2017
I loved working for Avera! Training was amazing! Very thorough and clear. Never a dull moment in the classroom! Very nice people!
Pros
Support from management and coworkers
I am very happy happy working for Avera,
RN (Current Employee) –  Platte, SDJanuary 16, 2017
I am currently happy in the position I am in but I would like to add hours and experience. I absolutely love nursing as a job. Helping people is something I feel I was made to do.
Friendly people but horrible communication
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Estherville, IAJanuary 10, 2017
I enjoyed working here when I first started but two months in I was given extra work to do that I wasn't told about in training but was apparently always a part of my job. The communication between supervisors and employees is absolutely awful! List of work tasks is very unorganized with changes being made all the time. Work loads are unfair, one employee does twice as much as another who gets the same amount of hours. Tasks are not distributed fairly leaving some employees doing more than others. Overall I was not impressed.
Pros
Friendly co workers
Cons
Terrible communication, unfair workloads
Great Workplace
Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDJanuary 6, 2017
Everyone in this facility is kind, quick to help, and always there when in need of advice. Managers and supervisors are there to hear you out and don't treat workers as if they aren't important. I cannot think of a negative experience other than the occasional coworker you might have to pick up the slack on.
Pros
Nice breaks, cafeteria, friendly environment.