Avera McKennan Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
This is a terrible place to work
Admissions Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDJuly 17, 2018
I blame Avera for the health problems I have struggled with for the last two years. Their job culture was very competitive and extremely cut throat. Managers were poor and unsuited for their jobs. It was extremely stressful. Most of my coworkers were very unkind and insensitive to the stress they were causing their coworkers. There was extreme gossip and cliquish behavior. I would never recommend working at Avera to anyone.
Pros
Good Health Care
Cons
Cruel, Competitive, Cut throat environment
what you learned
Revenue Recovery Specialist- (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDJuly 7, 2018
All companies do things differently when it comes to advancement some- base advancement on years of service not necessarily knowledge or qualified to do the job.
avera
sterlization tech (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDJune 20, 2018
not just my department but in other departments as well that things need to change. I really didn't need much training because of my last two jobs dealt with the same things. but none of the management is listening to the employees and most of the employees are getting away with long lunches and not doing their jobs and this is from two different departments in this hospital
Great mission
Data Entry Clerk/ Medical Coding (Current Employee) –  Worthington, MNJune 10, 2018
Fair wage with good benefits. Job loads vary by department. Lots of expectations for some employees and not for others. Appreciation is given for a job well done.
productive social workplace
Admissions Specialist/Credentialing Officer (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDFebruary 26, 2018
daily duties varried based on patients, fun interacting with patients, work environment productive but not really stressful. worked with different departments on a daily bases.
Pros
easy to learn work duties, relaxing environment
Cons
schedule not flexible
Bad work environment
Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDFebruary 23, 2018
Chronically understaffed. Passive/aggressive management. No respect for personal/home life. Always expected to work extra. Favoritism is abounding..
Pros
Cons
Understaffed
Flexible Working Environment
Respiratory Therapy Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDDecember 10, 2017
Fast paced hospital work environment with flexibility in scheduling. Management worked well with the good hiring process. Gained a lot of good experience working as a RT student. Enjoyable department as a whole.
Productive, high stress, challenging
Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDOctober 15, 2017
I loved my time at Avera and loved to put the patient first. Every day was different and challenging which is what I feed off of. I learned so much about people, procedures, handling stress, death, and being open to learning new things.
Pros
Challenging but very fulfilling
Cons
Long hours, a lot of standing for many hours, and stress
Fun people, stressful work pace, expectations of employees set too high
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDSeptember 28, 2017
Not enough people to cover each shift and job position. No recognition for a job well done. Too much to be done by one person in a short amount of time.
Pros
Decent coworkers
Cons
Too much to do in too little time. No one to help
Fun place to work
LPN (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDJuly 18, 2017
I love working here. Everyone is so friendly! I live the work ethic that everyone has. They really care for their employees and are made sure we know that we are appreciated.
Great mission
Patient Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDJuly 11, 2017
Avera Mckennan puts a strong emphasis on providing healthcare in a Christian environment to help those in need, regardless of their background, and that mission is truly alive. It is wonderful to hear patients and visitors share how they can "feel" this, as I go about my work day.
Opportunity
Manager of Reimbursement (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDJune 11, 2017
It was a great opportunity to learn and develop in several areas with little constraints. You can learn and explore most softwares and processes.
If you are a self-starter you can learn easily.
Pros
Little oversight
Cons
Little teaching
Patient Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDMay 22, 2017
everyday I would learn something new. It is a fast pace job that kept me going. I love to be busy and never board. I love helping the elderly that are in the hospital and other care facilities.
Great coworkers
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDMay 21, 2017
There are many great employees at Avera but the patient population is very challenging at times. With pressure to cut costs the staffing ratios make for frequent difficult shifts.
Secure place to work
Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDMarch 29, 2017
Great place to work, needs to offer better health insurance rates for employees. Very knowledgeable and helps you grow, when there is opportunity. Overall a great place.
People were fun to work with
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDMarch 13, 2017
The staff were generally dedicated. The hospital provided continuing education where needed. I didn't like the management. The least qualified people always seemed to get the promotions. Constructive criticism of management was quelled. Human resources put up a good front, but did not back employees when these issue were brought to there attention. The "McKennan Cares" motto was only about image. They were always ready to throw employees under the bus. The "customer is always right" was honored no matter how crazy the customer's demands were. This greatly affected employee moral.
Pros
Friendly dedicated staff.
Cons
Management with poor people skills, least qualified employees got promoted, Poor back up from HR, Lack of adequated compensation for added skills, continued reductions of promised benefites.
teamwork !
Linen Processing Associate (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDFebruary 27, 2017
• Experienced working in medical facility to perform sterilizing/cleaning duties
• Demonstrate good organization and time management skills
• Work well under pressure while achieving team goals
• Ability to follow instructions and safety rules
Pros
love job teamwork
Cons
Liked work there over all
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Gregory, SDFebruary 13, 2017
I enjoyed the people I worked with and I enjoyed spending time with the residents. I worked long hours there they were their if I need help it was like a family setting.
positive
PATIENT CARE TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDFebruary 6, 2017
Great facility with great hardworking people. the management is good and the staff are great. even had my baby born there it is so nice
Very busy place to work but staff is very friendly and helpful
Patient Care Technician/Therapy Technician (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDJanuary 6, 2017
A typical day at work would be very busy with making the schedule and helping the therapist as well as the nurses. I learned a lot about wheelchairs and different types of therapy. The management is very easy to talk to and listens to what you are saying. My co-works were part of the reason I loved my job so much. They were very helpful and friendly. The hardest part of the job was trying to accommodate everyone's wishes into the schedule for the patients on a daily basis. The most enjoyable part of the job would have to be seeing how the patients recover and get back to their normal everyday lives.
Pros
great environment and friendly staff
Cons
cafeteria is so expensive