Avis Budget Group Employee Reviews

Enjoy working in customer service
Rental Sales Agent (Current Employee) –  Hilo, HIJuly 18, 2018
I enjoy my current position, however I want to take care of customers without the added pressure of selling. I want to be paid for services rendered and not depend on incentives to pay my bills. The hardest part of the job is having the tools needed to provide exemplary service.
Pros
Work environment, health care
Cons
Low hourly wage
mostly laid back
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJuly 18, 2018
The union made this job very difficult for management to do their job. Older employees were more focused on getting new employees fired. Management doesn't have much control.
Pros
great pay
Cons
unbalanced
Great Perks
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  San Juan, PRJuly 18, 2018
Good benefit package - 401K, Dental, Medical
Great working environment with team and associates
Schedules rotate every few months. good for family /work balance
Not the best
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 18, 2018
In the interview they don't tell you it's a mandatory 10 hour workday, even though most days your there at lease 12 or 13. You're salaried so no overtime to go along with those long hours. They offer you incentives in the interview only to tell you months in they don't/can't give them to you. Most of the people make the day bearable and enjoyable. The customers are self absorbed and entitled, but that's what you get working in customer service. Direct leadership is great, but upper management is so so. This could be a dream job for someone else. Avis is not a horrible place to work for, my experience although hasn't been what I thought.
Pros
free car
Cons
long work hours, in the elements all day, fleet is always tight
Not worth it.
Rental Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJuly 17, 2018
Fixed Scheduling is horrible.
Mandatory overtime occasionally imposed.
Upper management does not care to respond to RSA, Drivers, Cleaners, etc.
This company does not truly care about employees nor attempt to reach out to them.
When an employee takes the time to explain moral status to management, no initiative is taken to address issues. I even wrote a letter to CEO explaining a major issue in Western Region. THE ISSUE IS HEAT. PEOPLE ARE NOT COMING TO WORK TO CLEAN CARS OUTSIDE FOR MIN. WAGE when it is over 90 degrees outside. problem no clean cars for customers arriving to an international airport (RIDICULOUS.) I proposed fix for that issue, extreme weather pay, or overnight cleaning, and two other options. Nothing was done. This company just does not care.
Do not step on toes, you will regret it. Managers are cut throat
Body Damage Manager (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJuly 15, 2018
If you do not fit in their club, you will regret it. Too many favoritisms, horrible training, i was supposed to learn a higher manager position but he refused to train me. Many times i was on a phone call getting yelled at because i was not trained correctly, or following instructions from my manager that was improper company policy and then getting thrown under the bus. I was told to work hours that no one else in the department wanted to work.
Pros
Pto
Cons
Poor Management, Cut-throat, Horrible Training, Favoritism, Too many people always passing the buck.
Review
Rental Car Agent (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 14, 2018
Avis is fine. I worked mostly at Payless and it was slow on most days. They seem to put the cars at Avis more than Budget or Payless. I would recommend this job
Pros
easy
Cons
slow
Low pay and hours.
Hiker (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJuly 14, 2018
The lack of maintenance on the vehicles puts the drivers in a hazardous situation. No one in power seem to know how to do their job ( lack of training or just don't care). They offer no benefits, if you're injured on the job you have to go through workers comp.
Cons
They only care about profit, low pay and hours.
Great but terrible
Specialty Reservation Agent (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJuly 12, 2018
When I first started with Avis it was amazing. Bit over the years there have been ceo changes and local management changes. A lot of stuff has just gone down hill. I stay for the coworkers to be honest. We're not getting paid equally and upper management is aware.
Very stressful dealing with the public
Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 12, 2018
a typical day was trying to upscale your customer to meet you daily goals. You were driving by management to meet or exceed your goals. Often times stressful dealing with late flights or sold out fleet.
Pros
discount on cars
Cons
meeting goals
Stressful Place to Work
B Tech (Former Employee) –  East Elmhurst, NYJuly 12, 2018
Worked as a mechanic in the East Elmhurst shop by Laguardia.If you need a pay check then work here if not don't apply,waste of time!! They lied to you
Pros
Easy Pay Check
Cons
No Advancement your career as mechanic
Dynamic employees
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 12, 2018
Budget Atlanta needs to go back to the days that the employees mattered as well as the customers. The last several years they just want to change policy to the extreme. It's hard on everyone. They put out the feeling of we just don't care. If someone leaves there's always someone else to step in. Crazy merry-go-round
Pros
Yearly picnic, great customers
Cons
Ops managers
Great Company with alot of opportunity for advancement
MANAGER/HEAD CSR (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJuly 10, 2018
Fast paced fun work environment where you get to meet and socialize with varies people from all across the world.Pick up customers from airports,hotels,yacht decks etc.
Customer service is key
Airport Manager II (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJuly 10, 2018
Trained each employee in customer service and sales to meet company goals and standards. Insured the rental counters were manned appropriately and managed a fleet to insure reservations were met. I monitored competitive pricing to insure profitability was met.

Maintained fuel tank logs in accordance with EPA guidelines. I created schedules for both Avis and Payless rent a Car along with fleet availability between Wichita, Tulsa, OKC and Bentonville, AR as we had a shared fleet.
My manager was horrible.
Assistant Manager/Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVJuly 10, 2018
The job was alright, but the branch I worked at was small (just 2 employees). My manager and I didn't believe in the same business practices and had a falling out.
Flexible shifts, Benefits
Manager Assistant (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 8, 2018
You meet new people all the time.
I loved how they worked with my schedule when I needed to go part time for a couple of months, was able to return to full time with advance notice.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
shifts
Avis
Shuttler (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJuly 8, 2018
If you like driving a different car every day & driving around & though the city this job is for you ,but after awhile you get tired of seeing the same places all the time
Pros
Driving different cars daily, Being on the road
Cons
Buying lunch in street daily is costly, Going to same places every day gets tedious
Avis Budget Group car rental
Rental Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  VirginiaJuly 7, 2018
A typical day for ABG involves evaluating daily business flow, adjusting inventory needs due to "add on" reservations, no shows, qualification failures. Assisting customers with questions, billing issues, reservation creation and checking in/out process.

I've developed a much stronger sense to multitasking and situational awareness. During particularly strong rushes when it's only myself at the counter this requires being able to navigate the internal system accurately and quickly in order to process a multitude of customers rapidly.

Management on the local level is good, helpful and understanding of the problems we face. Unfortunately, management on the local level is unable to do what we used to do as a licensee and this has created problems for us as well. Primarily involving the hiring process and inventory control.

Workplace culture, be friendly, helpful, sincere and genuine. Offer customers additional products and services, be informative and direct, but do not hassle.

The hardest part of the job presently is what I mentioned before about certain procedures not being in our control, but being part of a Corporate division that oversee's multiple locations. Plainly put, as it currently stands the hiring process requires too many steps for a potential new hire to jump through in order to be brought on board, this causes unnecessary stress on those already employed until new staff can be hired and trained.

Supply is the other, bigger, issue. We run an extremely tight inventory on most days and due to the inability to sell ourselves out when we need to, we become
  more... overbooked. This creates an issue in which we may go negative in our inventory and yet we continue to accept reservations which in turn frustrates our customers due to the inability to assist them as they wished. The frustration for me is that I can do literally nothing to help them when I'm in that situation, yet I can predict it happening well in advance and have absolutely no power to change it.

The most enjoyable would be the overall relaxed environment. Due to the nature of the business our primary customer base comes from arriving aircraft passengers. Due to location this is spread out quite a bit, so while we have hectic rushes, there is a considerable amount of downtime as well so nothing gets too stressful in that regard.
Pros
Free to use electronics during downtime, OT is almost always guaranteed
Cons
No localized control over inventory creating stressful otherwise avoidable scenarios, Hiring process is redundant, advancement procedure is undersirable
Long hours and hard work but good for advancement
Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 6, 2018
If you are an hourly employee, the job is great for advancement and benefits. Management is more stressful and forget about having a good work/home life balance for the 1st 5 years or so. You will be working every holiday, weekend and most evenings until you get some "seniority".
Very damily oriented place to work
Lead Rental Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAJuly 3, 2018
Avis was a great company to work for they paid you well if you need anything I gave you what you needed give you adequate time all excellent holiday pay excellent benefits excellent vacation time but more importantly they cared about you
Pros
Bonuses great atmosphere great money
Cons
There are nikon's on this job

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Avis Budget Group. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.5

2.2Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight