Axos Bank logo

Axos Bank insights

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues
  • General feeling of work happiness

Where Doers Get things Done

I have been overall satisfied with my time at Axos. I recognize that the position is not for everyone, but I have seen several JCAs succeed and move on to other departments with bigger responsibilities. The JCA program is not for everyone. You need to be self-driven and motivated to get things done. The workload fluctuates, especially during quarter-end and year-end periods. There is always a chance to volunteer and go above and beyond. Doing the bare minimum will not yield positive results. Management will enable JCAs to take on bigger tasks and responsibilities if they show they can handle it. The program is a great opportunity to learn about finance and banking – questions are encouraged and extra training and learning is championed. Working in different departments with different managers allows JCAs to get exposure to several aspects of the Bank and can be useful in settling on a permanent department and moving to higher roles. For “Senior” JCAs, the program may seem to hold them back slightly as they are still required to participate in assignments and functions in order to “graduate”, but at the same time taking on more responsibility within their departments. Although the program is continuously changing in order to become more streamlined, it may be best to allow JCAs to graduate at their own pace rather than a specific date based on hire.

Pros

There is always something to do/work on, Rotations give a more comprehensive view of the Bank and its different departments/roles, Exposure to CCO and other high-up managers, Bonuses based on performance

Cons

Some rotations take longer than others, Specific “JCA” tasks make it feel like college still, Ambiguity on pay after “graduating” the program

July 19, 2021
We appreciate the thoughtful review. We're proud of our (newly renamed) Junior Banking Analyst program, which offers early-career professionals an incredible opportunity to gain significant on-the-job experience in finance. And to your point: over 30 junior analysts have moved on to positions of greater responsibility within the bank in just the last few years alone -- and that was before we expanded the program's size and scope.

Great place to learn and grow, while advancing your career

Axos is a great place to learn and grow not only in your career but in knowledge and experience. Every day I have the opportunity to work in an industry I love that challenges me to be better every day. The teams are very supportive of career aspirations and provide support and opportunities for advancement throughout the company. Teams and leadership across the company really show each other that they care. If you want to grow and be challenged, it is the perfect place to be.

Pros

Benefits, compensation, vacation time, fun and challenging environment

Cons

The workload is not for the faint of heart and it can be overwhelming, but worth it for the experience and growth potential

Treats Employees Like Tools

I was a senior Software Engineer and the team I was on was severely understaffed for 8 months of 12 months I was there. 3 people left without ever being replaced and our goals and timelines were never adjusted. I had to work weekends and 12 hour days most days, especially during the end of projects and deployments. There was no support from the company during COVID, just continuously pushing to try to get everyone back in the office. The management culture is pure politics and everyone passing the blame to the next guy without ever just trying to figure out a solution. They also try to act like they’re a tech company, or fin tech, when they really operate business super old fashioned with tons of old tech and policies. If you have a choice, stay away from this company.

Pros

Coffee

Cons

Long hours, no life work balance, horrible culture, office politics

N/a

Excellent company. Competitive salary and training. Good benefits and work life balance. Inclusive culture and helpful management. Lots upward mobility

July 19, 2021
We're really grateful for the feedback. We agree that there are definitely lots of opportunities to grow one's career at Axos.

Overrated Experience

They completely over hype the position "Direct Banker" when it really is a call center position. The benefits of working for Axos were great and they have nice facilities and a coffee station on every floor. Still, they underpay you to sit there for 8 hours a day to get cussed out by entitled customers day in and day out. Then there is management who tends to micromanage you on how your calls are and how well you follow a schedule. Unless you have thick skin or you are in dire need of money. Stay away. Axos needs an overhaul on how they run their customer service department. Whether pay more, train more or organize it by types of accounts, something NEEDS TO CHANGE.

Pros

Free Coffee, Great Benefits, Great Facilities, Nice location

Cons

customers, micromanaging, work politics

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.

A Company That Encourages Success

I have worked for Axos for one year now. Fresh out of college I knew little about banking or the mortgage industry. I have now grown into one of the Top Producers in my department. My management team is supportive and allows me to be self-motivated.

Pros

Room for growth, excellent training, upbeat work environment

Cons

Short breaks and busy days

May 24, 2021
We're thrilled you're on the team and that you took the time to share this. Thanks so much, and keep up the great work!

Fun and positive environment

This job can be stressful with how much there is to learn right away, but the management and coworkers make it manageable.

January 15, 2021
There's definitely an element of drinking from the firehose here! We love the energy, though, and wouldn't have it any other way!

Great place low level

The biggest problem with axos is the corporate structure. They do not take the time to invest in their employees. The Covid precautions were very low

Pros

Scheduling & employees

Cons

Corporate culture, lack of hiring, turn over rate

January 15, 2021
We recognize that our culture is different from that of other organizations. One of our seven core values is Growth in Competence and Knowledge. What that means in practice is that we actively encourage our team members to stretch, grow, go beyond their comfort zones, and acquire new knowledge. We've made significant investments in team-member growth and development over the last 18 months. Our new ASPIRE platform gives team members access to a wealth of free online coursework. As for your other points, we’ve made sure that the precautions we’re taking against the spread of COVID are in full compliance with relevant local, state and federal regulations.

True Meritocracy

Axos is a true meritocracy where you can work cross-functionally to make everyone successful together. If you love tackling challenges and enjoying working with fun and smart people, you would thrive in this environment. The company is doing really well and the stock price speaks for itself. In my tenure here, I have seen it go from $25 to $40. This is the future of banking and if you love working on a vision which enables the future of fintech, you would thrive in this environment.

January 12, 2021
Can't argue with any of that! Thanks for taking the time to share your experience and perspective.

Do not leave another job to come here. Worst Run bank i have worked for

was promised a lot to come work here, but they never came through. too many changes and incompetent management made it really hard to do my job and make the money I was promised. The whole culture of the bank revolves around not spending money on things that are needed to perform your job. everything must be voted on in multiple committees and takes forever to get any changes done. The CEO is one of the highest paid in the industry and the bank is one of the smallest and worst performers. The benefits are a joke, must be there 5 years to vest in the 401k so they don't have to issue you their Small company stock match if you leave before then. The departments I worked for were mismanaged and they tried to have employees do multiple jobs so they did not have to hire more people. This bank tries to make out like they are bigger and better than they really are. they are run like a tiny local bank in the 1970's. They put processes in place that make no sense and that discourage new business all the while demanding you produce more. I have spent Many years in the banking industry (Decades) in my line of business and have never seen a bank or department run so poorly. I would not even keep company stock if it was given to me. Avoid this place.

Pros

pay is average

Cons

incompetent management, cheap, not willing to invest in their lines of business, weak benefits, the CEO sucks all of the money out of the bank for himself.

January 12, 2021
Opinions and facts can sometimes diverge, and this is a good example. Our personal and business bank products have just been showered with annual "Best Of" awards from industry observers, from Forbes to NerdWallet to GoBankingRates to MyBankTracker to digital.com. Our team members are committed to achieving excellence and delivering results. We make decisions based on facts, not on what we hope is true. 401(k) matching begins to vest at the end of the second year of employment. Our stock price is on a roll, and our CEO is worth every penny.

Jobs at Axos Bank

See more jobs

Stay away from this place if you're in IT

There is a massive amount of turnover at this company, for good reason. You are a cog in a wheel, and no one cares about you whatsoever. If you finish 9 out of 10 tasks, you'll be yelled at for the one you didn't. Severely understaffed, there's constant stress from clock in to clock out. No organization, management expects tasks done without giving you any context or direction how to do it. There's no culture, no support, no fun. If you like being treated like a machine and are fine with 40+ hours a week miserable, go ahead and apply.For pay, they push their "bonuses" as a reason to give you below average hourly pay. It doesn't make up for it. The ONLY positives here: You will learn a decent amount of skills, and the benefits/holidays are good. There are such better jobs out there, that are less stressful and pay more. Go elsewhere.

Pros

Benefits, decent amount of holidays off, learning skills quickly

Cons

Stress, unrealistic expectations, low pay, high turnover.

January 6, 2021
Thanks for taking the time to share a review, and sorry to hear about your experience. At Axos, our team members are our most valuable asset. Our culture pushes team members to learn and grow by challenging themselves to get outside their comfort zones, but we also value character and the traits that define character, including respect, fairness and caring. No team member should be yelled at, and we're sorry if that was your experience. As for compensation, we offer base salary plus merit-based bonuses paid out twice a year in a mix of cash and stock. We hope you find a better fit.

Treated without respect

This company is a disgrace to the society and humans. The managers have an absolutely terrible attitude towards their team workers. No clear priorities, sky high expectations and NEGATIVE support during covid when employees need work flexibility. There have been several lawsuits against this company for the unfairness towards employees at EVERY level.

Pros

Cons

Unfair pay, favoritisms, no flexibility for Covid

October 26, 2020
We appreciate your taking the time to share your experience. We do have high expectations of all our team members, but such high expectations should never come at the expense of treating others with respect. Respect is a fundamental component to one of our core values -- character -- and we encourage all our team members to be the best they can in all situations. We're very sorry you felt you were treated unfairly, and we would encourage you to address your concerns to your manager.

Productive and Great Work Environment

I worked for Axos Bank for a short term project for the Payment Protection Plan back in April through June 2020. Even though it was a remote temporary position, I have had years of experience working with them as a third party vendor with another employer. They are great to work for and go out of their way to see you succeed.

Pros

Great Management and HR, Great work environment.

Cons

n/a

October 13, 2020
Thanks for the review, and hope we get the chance to work with you again soon.

It’s Okay

Everything is virtual. Which is different. There isn’t always someone around to ask for help. You just kinda have to learn the pace of things yourself by referring to the website resources. If you’d like to talk to a boss you have to email them. So it’s hard when you first start for the first couple months.

October 5, 2020
We appreciate the feedback. We recognize that our culture is different from other organizations. One of our seven core values is Growth in Competence and Knowledge. What that means in practice is that we actively encourage our team members to stretch, grow, and acquire new knowledge. While managers should always be accessible to their team members, they should also be challenging them to learn and venture beyond their comfort zones. As for "everything" being virtual, well, we ARE a digital bank! We certainly want our customers to feel like we provide products and services that are every bit as good -- if not better -- than what they'd receive from a traditional, brick-and-mortar bank.

Great place for your first job

Hired right out of college for an analyst position. Very low hourly pay with performance- based bonuses twice a year. Not much company culture. And your work life balance really depends on your department. Vacation and holidays are great, but no option for working remote.

Pros

Vacation time

Cons

Low pay

September 30, 2020
Thanks for sharing your impressions. Not only does our culture exist, but it's also something we're very proud of! As a meritocracy, our culture rewards hard work and results. It pushes our team members to grow and develop by venturing outside their comfort zones. Our pay is competitive when factoring in the performance-based bonuses you mentioned.

Horrible company Makes you unhappy No growth or development

I Regret ever working for this company. I thought as a banker in my financial career this would be a great experience. Sure filled with unnecesary stress! This was a call center and you were constantly monitored by time. If you were 1 minute late from lunch, or even logged into the computer due to internet connection problems, in their own office, was all your fault and problem I had calls ranging from 2 minutes to a whole 1 hour. The call volume didnt seem fair, it seemed it was only routed to me "but they say its random" goes to other agents. I believe my management was racist and used me and took advantage of me.I do not recommend working here, I have worked at so many other banks, and this is not the ideal one. There was no promotion or growth or development.

Productive and fun workplace!!

fast pace working environmentflat organization with access to senior managementgreat opportunity to work for one of the fastest growing digital banks in the nation

September 18, 2020
Thanks for taking the time to share the insightful review of working on our team!

SFR Consumer Direct Lending Department is Great!

As a Mortgage Loan Officer the position is what you make it as you have a base pay however the majority of your income will come from commission. They encourage overtime to hit goals. We are provided leads to work with so we do not have the hassle of trying to hunt for our own clients. In my department they are flexible and understanding when need personal time off. They now offer the ability to work remotely if monthly quotas are maintained. I personally have been employed almost four years at Axos and knew nothing in regards to mortgages. I now make above average income and I am still satisfied with Axos as an employer.

Pros

Flexibility, overtime, benefits

Cons

I have no complaints in my department

July 27, 2020
We appreciate the feedback. These are exciting times for our mortgage business, and it sounds as though you're enjoying being on the team. Keep up the good work!

Great place to work!

Great place to work, lots of opportunities and very high paced environment. The company is provided great benefits and bonuses, company focuses on consumer.

July 20, 2020
Really appreciate your feedback. Sounds like you're thriving here!

Challenging yet Rewarding Position

Think of this job as Banking 101 mixed with a general communication class. This position is not for weak minded people. If you want to build your skills at finances and help people this is the job for you. You will receive many calls that involve issues you will have to think creatively to solve. Axos has a team oriented mindset so asking for guidance is always welcome from associates, managers, and others in the chain of command. Luckily, they understood my strengths and would accommodate and help me with my weaknesses. The best part is you will encounter a new challenge every single day that only makes you stronger. You have to be quick witted with some common sense. If you can handle multitasking or want to get better at it this is the place to be. The pay is decent and if you do well with sales you can earn a nice commission check. Apply if you are like helping others, and want a crash course in the online banking world.

Pros

Solid training, room for growth, team mentality, nice facility in La Jolla, free coffee

Cons

Not a lot of free time when it is busy, occasional rude customers, strict time restraints

July 20, 2020
Thanks for taking the time to share your insights. It sounds like you're picking up some great experience/knowledge as a result of being on the front lines of our customer-service efforts. Also nice to see your comments about teamwork: it's a core part of our culture. Keep up the good work!

High expectations

Axos Bank has very high expectations for every employee no matter the job role. As long as you do the job they hired you to do, then you will have no issues. The job, workload, and environment is what I expected. Highly enjoy working in the loan servicing department.

Pros

Advancment opportunity and learn something new everyday.

Cons

It feels like we are always short staffed when we are not. Hire more people.

July 13, 2020
Thanks for taking the time to share your opinion. We value all feedback and are glad to hear you're enjoying being part of our team!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Axos Bank. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
Top 50%
In the Top 50% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Axos Bank.
Powered byComparably