BAE Systems Culture reviews

Found 545 reviews matching the search See all 3,472 reviews
Customer Focused
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Nashua, NHApril 14, 2019
Meeting customer requirements, deadlines and budgets is very important and teams focus to meet these goals. The employees are very aware of how their work affects the end customer and that creates a bond between team members.
Great Company Great People
Manager of Security - Facility Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXApril 3, 2019
Overall a great company with knowledgeable employees. I think the culture of the company could stand to improve, but for the most part I was able to do my job and not be bothered. Excellent work/life balance.
Used to be a great place to work
Senior Principal Systems Engineer II (Current Employee) –  Merrimack, NHMarch 26, 2019
The work can be very interesting. The culture has degraded since I started 12+ years ago. In the past 5 years the benefits have taken a sever hit. We lost our pension, 2 weeks of time off and the cost of our medical insurance has more than doubled while the coverage has significantly decreased. Management is out of touch and regularly spin negative changes to the work environment/benefits/salary as a positive change. If you are young and just starting out BAE is not a bad choice, but as you progress to more senior Engineering levels pay and benefits slow. For example this years merit for a Sr. Engineer with above average performance was 1.5% while Jr. Engineers average 5+%. BAE has either outsourced or consolidated all their IT, Finance and HR support into Help Centers. This makes getting help or issues resolved difficult and impersonal. BTW, if you depend on good IT infrastructure and Internet access to do you job then prepare for frustration.
Pros
Interesting work, casual dress
Cons
Poor life/work balance, limited advancement for Sr. Engineers, out of touch Management
Used to be a very good place to work
Management (Former Employee) –  TexasMarch 24, 2019
Management caliber has steadily decreased the past five years. . Top leaders set the tone, and it ihas proven not good for employees. Management is distrustful of anyone they didn’t hire or doesnt serve as a yes person.

Ethics has taken a back seat to meeting production quotas. Emphasis should be on manufacturing life saving military equipment that performs in the toughest of environments. Unfortunately it is not.

Site leaders made a practice of publicly belittling lower ranked staff members. Rather than motivate, they were critical and never offered assistance - very sad to witness.

Despite record growth, little is flowed to the employees - not even a shirt. Bonuses go to the top leaders.

Senior leadership is based out of New Hampshire. While there are some good people there, the company culture is hostile. NH Leadership tends to look down on Texas employees.

There is a push to get the old out (50 plus) and quickly promote the inexperienced. While this sounds good for the younger employees, it leaves them in a sink or swim position. Add poor leadership and the complexity of military systems to the mix and it’s hard to imagine this ending well.

Due to these factors (Compromised Ethics, Theory X leadership, Poor culture and lack of incentives) I canot recommend BAE Systems at this time.
Pros
Making products that save lives
Cons
Poor ethics and theory X management
Dynamic environment with challenging work
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 22, 2019
0500 meeting with management prior to start of work day at 0600. Meet with project team to determine status and current challenges. Be shipboard by 0700 on some days, or working in the office on others.

I learned time management and email management, both critical to success in project management.

Workplace cullture changed over the years I worked at BAE. This was due to a shift in contract types from cost to fixed. This forced changes in senior management style, company policies, and a general "do more with less" culture.

Hardest part of the job was satisfying all stakeholders, whether they be the government customer, BAE, or subcontractors.

Most enjoyable part of the job was being with the people I worked with.
Cons
Imposition of additiional meetings outside normal working hours negatively affected Quality of Life
Productive job based on economics. Incentive program based on safety productivity damage and and utilization.
Lead Operator (Former Employee) –  Anniston, ALMarch 19, 2019
Competitive job based on daily performance. Very dirty and not climate controlled. Management driven with safety and productivity. Job security depended on need of military vehicles.
Pros
Pay, incentives, hours, vacations
Cons
Dirty, job security
great place to work
Test Technician (Former Employee) –  Lexington, MAMarch 19, 2019
hard working people, fun to work there get along great with co-workers, most enjoyable of the job was we all get along makes the day goes by faster, no one is above another
Productive and fun workplace.
Administrative Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 18, 2019
I enjoyed my role as an Administrative assistant immensely.
My manager was the best. She had confidence in me and helped me to become the best that I could be.
I had a variety of roles and I know that I excelled at them all.
Our workplace culture was to always appreciate the employees. We had picnics, breakfasts catered and holiday parties to name a few.
One of Charlotte's Best Places to Work
HUMAN RESOURCES GENERALIST (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 14, 2019
BAE Systems is named among one of the best companies that I have ever worked for hands-down. The awesome culture of the workplace, along with excellent management are worthy of more recognition than they have received.
Toxic Work Environment
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLFebruary 16, 2019
When I started at BAE Systems, it was great. People treated each other like a family and with dignity. Unfortunately, some poor leadership decisions were made and the company found itself with problems, and decided to fix it by bringing in new leadership. The new leadership promised a miracle, and tried to deliver the miracle by overworking everyone without giving reason for the employees to deliver. This worked well for a time, and the employees did deliver; however, the company had no intention on making good with its promises to the employees, just as they routinely lie to both the customer and subcontractors. Employees are not treated with respect, and there is now a culture of distrust. The only way management thinks they get anything done is by retaliating against those sick of the misery. In December, the software team I was a part of had six burned out people, and now it is mid February and only two of them remain. Management will thrust new employees into an impossible situation without understanding what the problem is and how they need to fix it, and think they can just treat employees however they want as if the employee has to work for BAE.
Pros
The people who were there when I started working there
Cons
Overworked, underpaid, managerial incompetence, toxic work environment
Fast paced/flexible work environment
Procurement Analyst II (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYFebruary 12, 2019
Daily meetings with management and suppliers to ensure goals are being met. There is very little training when starting so building relationships with your peers is a must. There is a heavy workload and high expectations put on employees so time management is an important skill to have.
Work / life balance
In-process inspector 2 (Former Employee) –  Nashua, NHFebruary 4, 2019
BAE was an amazing company to work for , there hours can be tough for family life but your team members are always helpful. They do a lot of on job training and it helps you to fully understand your job
Pros
Team work
Cons
Some management team members are hard to work with
Its a shipyard
Associate (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 2, 2019
BAE Systems as a corporate company is great with pay and benefits, but it doesn't seem like they are investing in all of their properties. This particular location is well behind the learning curve and has a lot of outdated ideologies. Human Resources is not making it a positive place to work. Profit is king, safety is touted as important only to avoid liabilities. Talented people will quickly find work elsewhere to avoid workplace harassment and abuse.
Pros
Good Pay/Benefits
Cons
Bad Culture
Big Corporate Attitude
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Burlington, MAJanuary 31, 2019
There are many procedures in place that hinder the work flow.

The culture is a preschool of entitled people.

Company claims to be on par to compete with area companies yet offers none of the benefits or perks that those companies offer.
Pros
free parking
benefits
Great Company
corporate task lead (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 30, 2019
Great place to work.I enjoyed the atmosphere and the positive people. Our training was good and I was very happy to be there for 11 years. Great benefits.
Slowly improving workplace
Project Technical Lead (Current Employee) –  Merrimack, NHJanuary 28, 2019
Although BAE Systems is your typical larger DoD contractor company, there have been strides made to improve the workplace culture. One of the perks working here is the "9/80" schedule that involves getting every other Friday off. To that end there is some flexibility with day-to-day hours as long as 80 hours are worked in a given two-week pay period.

Many facilities have a "Wellness Committee" and "Morale Committee" that will put together special events and provide free food from time to time. There are a lot of internal training courses offered. Many, but not all locations also have a cafeteria with a decent range of breakfast and lunch offerings. Quality has slowly been improving on the cafeterias attended, but prices have always felt a little high.

With a company of this size, there are many opportunities and avenues to advance if you look and work hard enough. Can be tough to move up if you just stay in your lane and do your job however.
Pros
Every other Friday off
Cons
Expensive or minimal lunch offerings
did learn about management
Manager (Former Employee) –  Hudson, NHJanuary 24, 2019
it was a contract; so I was there for a limited time! The culture was arrogant, could not ask anybody questions; they usually either ignored me or did not answer!
Pros
short distance
Cons
environment
Misrepresentation at Best! Avoid at all COSTS!!!!
Illustration Coordinator/Illustrator IV (Former Employee) –  Sterling Heights, MiJanuary 24, 2019
BAE relies on "Temp" people to do their jobs, and you are just that a "TEMP" Deal with it and accept it, look for nothing more amidst their lies to the employees. Promises of "Keeping" those who excel.

As I am a 25 year professional in the Military documentation development, managing teams of people, excelling in efficiencies and clarity in vehicle documentation for our "Warfighters'. Only to be "LAID OFF" by BAE within 5 months, due to said "Budget" reasons and NEVER called back.

Documentation material doesn't even match to the current re-power equipment, loosey goosey all around and top management does nothing. As a management professional in the DoD work, alone with the proper team, I could have turned them around to a "higher" level of efficiencies and profit.

Restructuring will never happen and all management only strives to keep their positions, when I offered and suggestions and remedies to strengthen the team structure, I was looked down upon, possibly a threat to their "Culture" of overspending and misrepresentation. Sad day for myself and those that were positioned under me,Sad Day!!!
Pros
Good salary, if they keep you
Cons
Everything from management down.
Rewarding job
Planner / Procurement Analysis II (Former Employee) –  Manassas, VAJanuary 23, 2019
All programs at BAE are exciting and lead to a very rewarding feeling. The majority of the departments have a strong team building spirit.
The knowledge of the final products offer a important look at the world around us.
Pros
satisfying job
Cons
Management lack of interaction and respect for employees
Internship
Intern (Former Employee) –  United KingdomJanuary 13, 2019
This was a great internship. I had a lot of great opportunities. I was able to explore many different areas of the company and meet people to create contacts in the company.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BAE Systems. Our community is ready to answer.

51.2K
41.2K

Women's ratings

2.7Fairygodboss Score

18%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

35%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss