BAE Systems Employee Reviews

41.1K
Found 2,401 reviews matching the search See all 3,009 reviews
Dedicated People, Interesting Projects
Technical Intern (Former Employee) –  Hill AFB, UTMarch 20, 2018
A standard day in the office ramps up at a steady pace but doesn't ever feel overwhelming or boring.
I learned a lot about how government contracting and just how in-depth the process by which the government tests and develops its equipment.
The manage consistently on-point they're easy to talk to and encourage questions about the job.
The hardest part of the job I would say is the sheer amount of reading, it is a bit dry but it helps you understand the project you're working on or assisting and is necessary to make sure errors in various documents don't manage to fall through the cracks.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the people working there. Everyone I worked with was very passionate about their work and were open to questions whenever I had them.
Pros
Great People, Interesting Work
Cons
Massive amount of detailed reading
Manager (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAMarch 19, 2018
Good compensation and good work/life balance compared to other defense contractors. Interesting and important work. Management can be great or a nightmare depending on where you work. Dedicated colleagues feel more like a family than coworkers.
Workplace
Engineering Technologist I (Current Employee) –  Mount Laurel, NJMarch 19, 2018
The environment is great. The mentorship is really helpful. You will be able to learn a lot. You will advance fast. The managers are very helpful to your needs.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Poor salary
Very supportive, but done with travel and commute. Contractors not recieved well.
Forensic Scientist III (Former Employee) –  St. George, VA?March 19, 2018
I was assigned overseas at my choice until 2011. Re-assigned to the states but too far from home and family. This assignment did not allow a reasonable commute without extensive costs.

Very good employer. Employees must be independent and assertive.
Excellent pay and benefits.

Contractors were not received well by ARMY/USACIL
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Contractors not well recieved at sponsored work site.
Great pay, some good people - Poor culture and technology.
Supply Chain Planner II (Current Employee) –  New HampshireMarch 19, 2018
BAE is among the most competitive in regards to salary. There are some great people working for BAE as well. With that said, there are plenty of people - in senior level and management positions - that you wonder how they haven't been fired. HR isn't exactly known for addressing aggressive co-workers effectively to resolve issues.The culture and technology is very dated, making tasks mundane and agonizingly slow. Tasks that should take minutes can take hours, simply because of dated software.
Pros
Pay and benefits, on-site cafes
Cons
Some coworkers/managers, old technology, and older culture.
Technical Variety
Program Engineering Manager (Current Employee) –  Nashua, NHMarch 17, 2018
Opportunities are abundant to work on high technology that spans the entire electromagnetic spectrum.

Multiple sites in southern NH provides many options.
Pros
Off Fridays
Cons
Health Care benefits
bad Leadership
Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAMarch 17, 2018
Supported ticket system for years. I felt invisible at work. Discouraged by a hypocritical manager treated us with double standards. He completed undercut any credibility by using a complete different style with others within the same organization.
Yard
Shipfitter Helper (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMarch 16, 2018
Nice safe yard to work in. I actually learned a lot about Shipfitting here when I was starting out. Love the pay and the benefits are fair I guess you can say.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Tools
A good place to work, not friendly
AP Specialist / Project Material Buyer (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 15, 2018
The hours per day were great, starting early and getting home to beat the traffic. I learned a lot but mostly was left to myself. The one person who did know about the systems (which were converting) was not helpful and kept information to their own. Workplace culture was left to office gossip. Due to my having a helpful person in the company, I was promoted to buyer but when asking for help with this position, the off-site manager was cut-throat. This atmosphere led to my leaving the company.
Pros
Okay if you are a dock working
Cons
Office workers are treated unfairly
Fair for an office full of contractors.
Diagnostic Editor (Former Employee) –  Sterling Heights, MIMarch 15, 2018
Nice facility, good central location. Some very fine people working there. Flexible hours a little trouble getting time off. Workload can get a little tight some times too much to do sometimes don't come in for the rest of the week.
Pros
Good cafe
Cons
inconsistent management
Great place
Purchasing Associate II/Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMarch 14, 2018
I enjoy everything I do here and the people I work with however, I wish I was paid a little more. I have been exposed to many great opportunities. I would never leave if I were making enough.
Pros
Cons
Pay rate
prennis
Welder Helper (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALMarch 14, 2018
i liked working here with the people that were around me and the type of work i was doing i feel if a had another chance to work here i would jump on it i like the people in management and h/r
Productive and Goal Driven
Operations Associate (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INMarch 14, 2018
It is a great company to work for and the atmosphere is simple and caring. Most individuals are easy to get along with and many are helpful. I've learned a lot in the many years of being there.
Fast and Productive
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 13, 2018
The first couple of years was a growth spurt and it kept us very busy and focused! Management was wonderful and caring. The workplace in it's entirety was a great place to work, wonderful and focused individuals wanting to move forward! The hardest part, was leaving when they acquired a new company.
Pros
Medical Benefits
Below average workplace
Staff Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAMarch 13, 2018
The management there was outright dishonest. If they need to lay off people, they will trump up some reason to fire rather than to have to give severance. I knew this to happen more than three occasions.

Like many places, they are under-staffed, and people do not have time to share knowledge. Documentation is lacking.

In some positions, you may be required to be downright dishonest with customers, giving them the impression work is more difficult than it really is. You are likely to be punished if not willing to play politics.

Politics seems to be worse than most places; I've heard managers complain of it often. Some top managers seem to have a problem seeing through those who pretend competence verses those who really have it.
Pros
Pay and benefits.
Cons
Dishonest and incompetent management.
good job poor management
toolmaker, gagemaker (Former Employee) –  Cheshire, CTMarch 13, 2018
Had to work to very tight tolerance (.000005) with managers putting presser on. Had to work in a clean room 30 to 40 hours a week. I was on salary so I was able to come in early to get my work done before management came in.
Pros
like to tight tolerance
Cons
poor management
Great product, great people
Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Sterling Heights, MIMarch 12, 2018
BAE is a great place to work. I had great coworkers, I enjoyed the work that I did, the pay was relatively competitive. The real issues are cumbersome processes and poor management.
Productive place to work
First Class Structural Welder (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALMarch 12, 2018
This was awesome job. It was just a temporary position for me, but if giving the opportunity I would love to work there again! It's a one hour drive t here for me, and a one hour drive home, but I don't mind.
This is NOT a reliable place to work
Recieving (Former Employee) –  Endicott, New YorkMarch 10, 2018
Very high turn over rate. I would not reccomend working here as a contractor. I was terminated without any given reason. So were multiple people. The company is known for this.
Pros
Weekly Pay, Employees are Friendly
Cons
Terminate Employees Without Given Reasoning
Overall
Full Motion Video Analyst (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAMarch 10, 2018
Working with BAE is a great place if you are working at a BAE office. working as a contractor for the job i was in was difficult. The management was using the buddy system to much instead of facts.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BAE Systems. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

64out of 100

The Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at BAE Systems.

Powered by Comparably