BP Employee Reviews

Found 1,721 reviews matching the search See all 2,648 reviews
Working in a Remote Location
Contract Specialist, Wells Field Specialist (Former Employee) –  Prudhoe Bay, AKJanuary 8, 2019
There are many benefits with working remotely. One must weigh the benefits of the extra pay and days at home with the many events that one will miss due to the set and inflexible schedule. You are obligated to a schedule that, if you disrupt, affects your alternate.

Communication and clarity are key to making a shared position be effective and work for all parties.

A negative with working at a large corporation is the feeling that everyone is replaceable and only a cog in a wheel. Working in the BP environment exemplifies this.
Pros
corporate benefits, the work schedule's time off
Cons
the arrogance that inflicts the young, inexperienced college graduate.
Supportive managers and extra training provided when available.
Site Security Officer (Former Employee) –  IRAQ - RUMAIL OIL FIELDDecember 5, 2018
I have had excellent opportunity to grow and develop technically since joining the company. Very experience and highly motivated colleagues. There is life work balance with every other Friday off once you put in your contractual hours. The culture was a little different that what I was used to. Great company to work for and the management were great. The best part about this job was the day rate.
An industrial setting with needed maintenance on all skill fronts, requiring 365, 24/7 care. This job paid the bills.
Refinery instrumentation, analyzer technician (Former Employee) –  Whiting, INDecember 5, 2018
Over the decades the environment changed, in some areas for the better. This refinery was geared towards being a major producer of fuels from a high sulfur feedstock. However, national political and Obama administration measures put hardship on this venture after the dollars investments were made. Among the workers it was known to be 'the best game in town' . The available and required work with its compensation during TAR and project times was strong.
Pros
Compensation and benefits
Cons
Many jobs were tough during the winter. Dangerous gases as a natural byproduct of refining.
Great place to work with good benefits and comfortable pay and flex hours.
Senior Lease Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 5, 2019
Retired from BP after 35 years of working there. Co-workers and supervisors were like family to me. Great atmosphere. Had a well balanced job and work life there. I had the oportunity to travel, take classes, train new hires, worked closely with other departments. Learned everything I know about Oil and Gas at this job.
Pros
Benefits, flex hours, pay
SME Contracts Professional
Global Environmental Contracts Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 18, 2018
20+ years of Global Experience Developing Contract Models and Negotiating Contracts in a wide variety of industries: Upstream, Downstream, Midstream, Environmental Consulting Services, Oil Spill Response, Decommissioning/Demolition Services, Major Construction, Chemicals, Polymer Manufacturing, Combustion Turbines and Electrical & Instrumentation.
Great co-workers, fantastic benefits, terrible management
Process Engineer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 2, 2018
While I appreciate the working force culture that BP has in place, it has big structural problems.

There are constant re-organizations and layoffs. This results in constantly changing processes that no one understands. You spend so much time just fighting through bureaucracy that there's not much time left for doing your actual job.

Training and development opportunities are alright for new college grads, but as a 5+ year employee there are no deeper technical training opportunities available outside of the narrow silo that the company wants to keep you in.
Pros
Relaxed work environment, no fears of "cut throat" practices
Cons
Difficult to get anything done, and to be given opportunities to challenge yourself and develop
Nice attire, Fun work enviorment with great people
Associate (Former Employee) –  Williamston, NCJanuary 4, 2019
Enjoyable work enviorment, Fast paced at momments, But overall friendly work staff, And great opportunity to move up. The pay was fair, But could of been way more frequent. It was scheduled at twice a month. Other then that if you r looking for a job to make extra income, With dependable hours, This store is a adequate place to be employed.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Twice a month pay period.
Productivity convenance retail store with gasoline
Store Corporate Manager (Former Employee) –  Palm Beach County, FLNovember 4, 2018
A typical day at work was from an early start by preparing the site with a verification of fresh coffee, cleanliness, well stock ready for business, during the day was stocking, front facing products, looking for out of date items and out of stocks
Enjoy a team work leading my employees for the best needs of the store.
Learned about Ordering in a different system, a new gasoline system.
The work place culture was Safety, Cleanliness and great customer service.
The hardest part of the job was the no show or tardiness of an employee and customer complaints.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the satisfaction of the customers by offering the promotions and the best value daily.
Cons
Shot brakes
Relaxed for the most part, good coworkers, easy to learn
Night Shift Cashier (Former Employee) –  Walterboro, SCOctober 30, 2018
Usual day at work - 10pm-7am , opinion- i prefer night time jobs because it works around mu schedule, hated having times other than this

Management- was not responsive out of work, could not get into contact when had a medical emergency in my family

Hardest part of job- getting robbed at gunpoint at 1am

Most enjoyable part of job- Relaxing atmosphere and was working with numbers mostly
Pros
Relaxing, fair pay, close to home
Cons
no insurance, got robbed, unresponsive manager
For people wanting to start out and just get some money any way this is one job for sure.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  East Orange, NJDecember 30, 2018
This job is an absolute headache. Wages are minimal and job requires working in all weather conditions with no conditioned area. Co workers are also rude and disrespectful.
Pros
Getting paid to do 1 job and 1 job only
Cons
Terrible pay, terrible work conditions (based on weather that day), terrible coworkers, no benefits.
Poor management
Cahsier (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 14, 2019
The manegment there did not treat there employees fair, everyone got different treatment, and they did not care about there employees. I was in a car wrecked one day on my way to work, when I called work and told them I would be late, and they got mad. I got to work and worked most of my shift and needed to leave early to to all the pain I was having, and I ended up having to work my whole shift.
It was a fun fast paced work place.
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 20, 2018
A typical work day was making sue the deli was set up well, the cooler was stocked, and my cash wasn't short, I learned how to order products for inventory and speak a little Spanish. The hardest part of the job was breaking down the deli to insure it was sanitized. The most enjoyable part was the employees we all respected one another and had a awesome time while we were working.
This company was going through some big changes while I was there and was privately owned.
Morning Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 3, 2018
This was a privately owned franchise company whose ownership provided little assistance to the staff to understand and perform new responsibilities.Compensation for staff was not fair for duties performed and eventually the entire staff was dismissed and business was sold.
Going through change
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Chicago AreaOctober 15, 2018
Company has been going through change over the last several years. Strong focus on cost cutting and "doing more with less" which translates to longer work hours and stress. Management is inconsistent - you may have a very good / strong manager or you may have a manager that needs further development - really luck of the draw. Benefits are quite good which makes people want to stay - even when management is less desirable.
Benefits
Cons
Inconsistent management, constant change
Horrible management
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MNNovember 14, 2018
Completely rude management and unfair in their policies. The manager did not like females and seemed to judge me based on my disabilities. All the customers liked me and I did everything well but was let go because my cleaning abilities were not up to his standards. I wasn't given any warnings or told how to do things differently.
Pros
Cool customers
Cons
BP is THE place to work in Northwest Indiana if you want to make alot of money
Process operator: specialist (Current Employee) –  Whiting, INOctober 19, 2018
My typical day consists of monitoring equipment in an oil refinery. Must approach everything in a safe and cautious manner.
I lead a team to help maintain and monitor various pieces of equipment.
I enjoy the people I work with. BP affords my family the life I feel they deserve and I take gratitude in the fact that it is possible due to BP
Not a place for the progressives.
Night Auditor (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 15, 2018
A typical day is business as usual. Serve the customers, track the sales, and monitor the products. Management is responsive to the needs of the business, and sometimes indifferent to the concerns of some employees. I enjoyed the rapport with not only the customers, but also the co-workers.
Pros
You get a pay check at the end of the week.
Cons
Advancement is a struggle.
Great team that i worked with, was able to grow and have fun
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Batavia, ILDecember 22, 2018
This company was an amazing job to have. The people that work for the company are amazing, they would help you when ever you needed it and wouldn't look down on you if you didn't know what you where doing. The crew that I had under me at the time was amazing they would do anything that was asked upon them.
It is a confortable and fun place to work.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Yorkville, ILNovember 27, 2018
I enjoyed the laid back atmosphere and the joking behaviors but also enjoyed talking with and helping my customers. I kept everything stocked and cleaned and ready for the morning rush. My manager was very understanding and helpful in so many ways. I miss working there but I needed a new start.
challenging but rewarding
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  variousNovember 4, 2018
I worked for BP for 28 years. Development is good and the roles are challenging but rewarding. Its very competitive so to succeed you have to work hard. Like all big companies these days, women and minorities get additional attention and development to prepare them for management. The company is focused on safety and the environment.

51K

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

3.1Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

3.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight