Babcock & Wilcox

Babcock & Wilcox Employee Reviews

United States249 reviews

babcockwilcoxcoalnuclearpowerfridayengineerplant

Investing in the future!

Great company and willing to invest in the future.Always looking to diversify into new markets and expand into other countries.Willing and able to make new M & A's

It was a decent living. I was raised on B&W salary.

like I said the money was top paying in the county it was 100 percent union whether you like it or not they educated us on how to build that stuff community college came in taught from how to read a tape measure to Basic Blue print reading. To shop math.

Pros

Close to home

Cons

If you were a good worker you didn't need a union only the one that were sorry need the union

Babcock & Wilcox insights

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Fair pay for job
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Sense of belonging
  • Overall satisfaction

Used to be a great place to work.

The company used to be a great place to work for but, over the last 7 years, the culture has deteriorated due to upper management forgetting about the dedicated workers who made the company what it used to be. Good, smart, hardworking people have left the company in droves and the company has continued to outsource departments which make it difficult to work there.

Upper management is hollowing the remaining bits out of a husk of a company.

Not the worst place to work, but after fifteen years and a few of them without raises, I can't help but feel a bit shortchanged money wise. They used to care about the employees, but there seems to be no room for advancement and though I like my boss, upper management are true heels. The president is on the board of the bank who is loaning us the money to keep afloat and takes 8 million in bonuses. Seems shady, probably not going to be here all that long.

No room for growth in a dying industry

Absolute garbage benefits, but they finally started matching a little on 401k again. Raises are unheard of, machines are old, outdated and some barely functional. A few decent guys that work there and the supervisor is nice. There's just no room for growth and the wages are no longer competitive. I'd keep looking if you want to find a career.

IT Professionals Run And Run Fast The Other Way

I met some awesome people to work with here. Very few were in IT management. Most of IT management was arrogant and condescending and used people as pawns to further their personal agendas. They did not care who they stepped on or who they stabbed in the back. I witnessed a lot of good people get trampled by IT management in this organization. What was most appalling is that IT managers were so delusional and full of themselves they actually thought they were great leaders. In reality they couldn't lead a group of pre-school children in afternoon story and nap time.

Pros

The only thing that was attractive about this place was the 9/80 compressed work week, which I understand they did away with.

Cons

In my opinion, IT management was the poster child of narcissistic management.

Understaffed. Too much cost cutting.

I respect the work the leaders have done to save the company and rebrand it as a renewable/environmental company.But the cost cuts are too deep. First, they reduced staff, then outsourced, then outsourced some more. The folks that hung around are dealing with a largely inexperienced off-shore staff. Benefits have been stripped to the core, and although they offer remote work and flexibility, a day off doesn’t actually feel like a day off. The 9 hour work schedule that gets you every other Friday off is gone.

Pros

Free coffee, remote work. The folks that are left really care and are wonderful.

Cons

Healthcare coverage is bad, hard to get stuff covered, Extremely short-staffed, high turnover among both off-shore and on-shore staff.

Does not know how to work with or manage non craft folks

As part of the non craft staff the company over all did not know how to communicate, compensate or work with me. While all other parts of the job site and companies were getting raises they indicated they were not and others were not either, which was a lie. During COVID there was NO communication from them as a company.

Pros

Cons

Understanding of non craft position and personelle

Work/life , management

Always stressed out. Don't really have a life to do activities. Management not very good. A lot of bipolar and you have to be one of the favorites. Alot of secrets .

Pros

Pay

Cons

Benefits, work/life, management

Average work environment with poor benefits

Once a proud successful company that was very family oriented is now a shell of what it used to be. Leadership not what it used to be. Morale at an all time low

Great pay lots of overtime

I really enjoyed working there, making great money, paid off my house in 11 years. I would definitely recommend this place to work at. Great bunch of guys and gals.

Pros

Good insurance, and retirement doubletime on sundays.

Cons

Challenging times for the industry asThe worldTransitionsToGreener technology

The engineering and management teams were great to work with but the challenges within the industry and for BW to find its new products and services is still not where it needs to be for real regrowth and to reinvigorate this icon

Pros

Remote working

Cons

Reinvigorate is slow to happen.

Interesting company history

Company has been through a lot; not sure what the future holds; Maybe stock will rebound one day. Good to see people I worked with being successful. Lots of leadership changes.

Pros

flex work

Cons

location

Great co-workers. Leadership is like Groundhog Day.

Excellent people to work with. You can learn a TON. Great Work Life balance, with every other Friday off. Amazing engineering technology.Unfortunately, no growth potential. New CEO was just getting things on track, when Covid-19 hit. No sure if B&W will survive....They re-shuffle the same VP's around every quarter. who do things the same way as previously, and so the results never change much.

Pros

9/80 Work Week, great people, cool technology

Cons

Total chaos in how to get things accomplished, No training, no career development, no $

Show up on time, ready to work, take being safe seriously and it’s a great place tomwork

It was my first job as an apprentice and I was amazed. Great group of people. I learned a lot and felt like I was a part of something important. Be smart, stay sharp, listen to what you are told.

Overall employees worked very well together

Company took a turn for the worse, relocating jobs to Ohio. Past couple of years there have been ongoing layoffs, job security no longer exists. Employees are great!

Pros

Great atmosphere, every other Friday off.

Cons

Poor management, ongoing layoffs, job security no longer exists.

Difficult Times

The past 10 years have been very difficult for the company. Leadership has continuously changed and the company struggled to adjust with disfavor in coal power plants. Working for B&W is like playing survival of fittest. There is no guarantee of lasting the rounds of reductions in workforce, even when you give 110%.

Keep looking

If you want to work for a company that has layoffs every 6 to 12 months and after every layoff the company re-organizes so it never gets ahead but continues to start over with a new vision this is the place for you.

Good

Management was great helping you succeed in what we needed to accomplish with great pay. Safety was a priority help employees get home the way that they came, treating the employees with respect was a MUST that the number one thing that I liked about them.

Meeting new people and friends every where I go.

I meet a great many people all over the country. I am able to visit and work in different parts of the country that most people never get a chance to visit. Working at different construction site with many different scopes of work give me a learning experience thati is not only interesting but a lot of fun too,

Pros

Travel

Cons

Not home enough.

Better be show up with more than an idea! And ready to work or dont bother!

Been off and for these guys for the last 12 yrs. Very professional and high demand for production without incident! Work hard and dont make waves and they will take dam good care of you!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Babcock & Wilcox. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits