Bachman's Inc. Employee Reviews

Productive and fun workplace
Floral Department Supervisor (Former Employee) –  USMay 2, 2019
Overall great experience, learned a lot regarding customer service, management skills (staff scheduling, MOD duties and responsibilities). Inspiring place to work.
Flagship store
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 16, 2019
Fun job, lots of opportunities. Communication between departments, upper management, the board, marketing is poor. Seem more concerned about The image of Bachman’s then the employees who are making them great. The building is in poor condition, with no improvements on the horizon. Don’t look at the ceilings! Wear you rain boots inside!
Love the “little” people! The employees that work the front lines make it great!
Why do they change the hours 3 times a year! Customers and employees want consistent hours!
Pros
Flowers, plants, outdoors, discount
Cons
Pay, change in hours, schedule, family time
Bad experience
Landscape Designer / Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 14, 2019
I had a very bad experience with this company, I would strongly advise anyone considering employment with this company to look else where. I found the management extremely incompetent in the landscape departments as well as payroll and human resources. Major mistakes occurred by management and payroll regarding employees pay that resulted in the company threating to sue employees in order to recoup for their payroll mistakes. When compared to other landscape companies, this company is very behind on work flow processes, technology and available installation crews to make them competitive and outfitted to meet a commission paid design employee with the resoureces needed to meet their sales goals and be successful. They rely upon a limited number subcontractors to do all hardscape work that is highly marked up above other companies to make them competitive in the market. They employ only unionized planting installation crews that are limited to what they can do in the field and need a lot of direction. Management does not listen to their employees needs or give any concern to improving the department or helping their employees be more successful. They do not bring in any fresh minds, but rather move long time existing employees into management positions that they are unqualified for to beat the same drum the board of directors wants them to beat: keep salary's low, don't spend any money on advertising, marketing, technology, or make any major changes to an anaquated department. Any new employee can expect low starting pay, a lot of support personal turn over, working all your  more... weekends in the summer & long hours to meet your sales goals, lack of appreciation, a negative work environment, minimal annual raises even after meeting your set goals and a lack of leadership to change these problems. Any young person looking for a company to grow with should look to successful landscape companies that do not farm out hardscape installation to subcontractors but rather do all their own installations in house and are non unionized.  less
Pros
Learn skills you can take else where
Cons
Poor compensation, lack of appreciation, poor management
Ok place to work
Wedding & Special Events Manager (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 8, 2019
I really enjoyed my job there but the HR manager is AWFUL!!! Unless they've replaced the HR manager, I would not recommend working there. The owners are wonderful people and I very much respect the Bachman family but the HR manager is so terrible that is made working there unbearable. Pay was decent.
Pros
Lots of talent, great products, wonderful owners
Cons
HR Manager- YIKES!!!
Micro Managed!
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Batavia, OHJanuary 12, 2019
Micro Managed and Condescending management! Just a Hard company to work for! Must provide all your own tools. Don't send you out for training on new equipment! If they do it on your time!
Pros
its a job
Cons
Find a different one!
Creative and inspriing staff to work with.
Planter Designer (seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 28, 2018
I worked part time at Bachman's, during the off season, creating custom designed floral arrangements and containers. The corporate culture of Bachman's is followed closely and their reputation is well known in the marketplace. I gained new skills that added to my landscape design experience, that I was able to apply to my clients.
Pros
Feedom to be creative, positive team, pleasant working enviironment
Cons
Short term position, would've preferred more hours.
It was fun at first
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 19, 2018
Your fellow employees are wonderful and fun to work with but unfortunately there is quite a bit of micromanaging by your managers and floral designers.
Pros
Coworkers, flowers, plants
Cons
micromanaging, salary, poor guidance
Awesome manager and good experience
Groundskeeper Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 18, 2018
My typical day of work started with meeting my manager to go over the day's plan. Then I typically watered at Minneapolis and then we drove to another location to weed, prune, water and plant. We would get two breaks and a lunch break. The hardest part of the job was the summer heat. The most enjoyable part of the job was the relaxed atmosphere.
I'm loving working here!
Garden Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Maplewood, MNJuly 18, 2018
For 8 hours worked you get 2 paid 10min breaks and an unpaid half hour for lunch.
Learn a lot about plants.
Mangers are awesome, friendly, flexible, and funny.

Common daily tasks:
Watering plants in the greenhouse/ and trees/ shrubs in the lot
Unloading and putting away plants off of carts when a truck makes a delivery
Answering questions for customers usually just about where they can find something specific

The hardest part of the job is not having all of the answers starting out but you learn quickly where and what stuff is, plus the people who've been there longer have so much knowledge and don't get annoyed if you bring a customer to them to help.

For scheduling, you turn in a calendar to your department manager (ex. Garden center, cashier, floral, or stock manager) and you write which days/times you're available, while crossing off the days you cannot work.

When it's really hot you can take quick breaks to go inside and drink water and cool down but no matter the temperature the greenhouse pants still need to be watered.
Pros
Friendly managers, fun employees, 20% off discount, snacks/drinks now and then.
Cons
Working in the heat really wears you out, getting bad tan lines from t shirt and tennis shoes, getting soggy shoes while watering (but you can avoid this with wearing rain boots while watering)
Productive work place
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MNJuly 17, 2018
Weekends can be very busy in the spring time. If it is rainy you don't have many customers. Management is excellent. I learned a lot there is to know about gardening, plants, garden ornaments, lawn care, incects and pests. Sometimes standing at the front counter when it was slow was boring but the best part is seeing what the customers bought and being able to chat with them.
Difficult ownership
technician, responsibility (Former Employee) –  Batavia, OHJuly 16, 2018
Worked as a non union apprentice. left to pursue a great opportunity with another company. I became a full time technician with a growing residential company
Perfect working atmosphere
Stock (Former Employee) –  Fridley, MNJune 7, 2018
The environment was relaxed, and my coworkers and supervisors were friendly. I was given a job to do and the tools to do it, and I was allowed to do it how I saw fit. I particularly enjoyed this, as I much prefer working independently, and I believe I work best that way. And if I needed help with anything, there was always someone around who was willing to provide it.
A typical day of work consisted of moving carts from the parking lot back into the store, watering plants which were not on the shelf, maintaining the warehouse, receiving and unpacking merchandise, helping customers carry their purchases to their car, and cleaning the lunchroom and bathrooms.
The part I enjoyed most was being able to work by myself the majority of the time. I am an introvert, and I do my best work without needing to interact with customers often.
Pros
Flexible schedule, fair pay, friendly coworkers and supervisors
Terrible managment
Floral Associate (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 4, 2018
I worked in floral, they gave me decent pay, i told them i could work days cause i have school at night. The manager on the lyndale location in floral is terrible, shes rude and does not care about anyone else but herself. I just started working there in April, she gave me my first schedule , and kept scheduling me on a different schedule and punished me for it. The other manager is lazy and complains all the time, and judges people. I do not recommend working here. The employees are very rude and judgmental.
Cons
Managment was lazy and rude
Fast-paced but fun place to work.
Floral Department Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fridley, MNJanuary 20, 2018
Fast-paced but fun place to work. The employees all work as a team, no matter which department you are hired for. Retail can be challenging but it is a reqrding place to work.
Good Company
Sales (Current Employee) –  MinnesotaDecember 4, 2017
This company provides a fun but professional atmosphere to work in. good management, high level expectations, learning on the job. Not enough training for complicated procedures. Confusing job expectations at times.
Pros
excellent coworkers, nice environment
Cons
pay, short breaks
Working with Bachmans
anonymous (Former Employee) –  anonymousOctober 29, 2017
After several years of working with this company, I can honestly say that it was an amazing experience the first few years. Unfortunately there is much turnover at this company due to lack of experienced leadership. Bachmans unfortunately does not understand the importance of engaging their employees. Asking how they are, or asking what they might be working on...this is a huge problem. Also, they do not promote from within due to their inability or interest in paying an employee what they are worth. you will make your goals and experience NO or minimal raise....it could be amazing but unfortunately management and the board of directors( family and exhausted and complacent long time employees) doesn't listen or for that matter find value in your opinion. Its a waste of time working for this company if you want to move up and learn from someone with mentoring support. there are a few diamonds in the rough at Bachmans but many of these people have become complacent in their approach to making the business grow or simply have no voice..My opinion...find another company to grow with...the outer shell of the company looks amazing...looks are deceiving. Just ask around before you take a job here...do your home work...you owe it to yourself and your future in this business
Relaxed environment with little motivation
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 24, 2017
Most of the time I spent as a stock clerk here I could move product around without any need to rush. The environment was very laid back and I did not have to report to a boss very often. Employees were trusted to do work rather than prove they were working.
Buen trabajo en equipo
Labor (Former Employee) –  Farmington, NMOctober 12, 2017
Estuve contratada por 4 semanas y mantuve mi trabajo por al menos 5 meses estaba feliz pero decidí salir de este empleo por un embarazo ya que es un mabiente con mucho fertilizantes para las plantas y hubicacion en la compañía era trabajar directo con plantas
Pros
Tiene excelentes jefes
Cons
Trabajas duro apelar el clima
Draining, satisfying
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Richfield, MNJuly 17, 2017
Bachman's customer service division was housed in the basement of their main store, so my days were fluorescently lit and I was the youngest in that environment by a couple of decades, so it was slightly depressing. I did enjoy being able to solve problems presented by the callers-in, and I took pride in ending conversations that began on a negative note end with happiness and customer satisfaction. Receiving 'rose coins' as tokens for a job well done were always a treat and they were a treat that I received many, many times. I learned quite a bit about flowers and how to diffuse a customer's anger and make them feel well-cared for and like they will continue to give their business.
You will get dirty
Greenhouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Fridley, MN 55432July 3, 2017
Even if you work as a cashier, you will get dirt yourself,
I worked in the greenhouse so I had to deal with rodents and bugs and a lot of dirt, but if you love flowers this wont bother you
Pros
breakroom with kitchen, walky-talkies
Cons
you will need to shower after work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bachman's Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.3InHerSight Score

2.1Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

1.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight