Bachman's Inc. Employee Reviews in Minneapolis, MN

Flagship store
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 16, 2019
Fun job, lots of opportunities. Communication between departments, upper management, the board, marketing is poor. Seem more concerned about The image of Bachman’s then the employees who are making them great. The building is in poor condition, with no improvements on the horizon. Don’t look at the ceilings! Wear you rain boots inside!
Love the “little” people! The employees that work the front lines make it great!
Why do they change the hours 3 times a year! Customers and employees want consistent hours!
Pros
Flowers, plants, outdoors, discount
Cons
Pay, change in hours, schedule, family time
Bad experience
Landscape Designer / Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 14, 2019
I had a very bad experience with this company, I would strongly advise anyone considering employment with this company to look else where. I found the management extremely incompetent in the landscape departments as well as payroll and human resources. Major mistakes occurred by management and payroll regarding employees pay that resulted in the company threating to sue employees in order to recoup for their payroll mistakes. When compared to other landscape companies, this company is very behind on work flow processes, technology and available installation crews to make them competitive and outfitted to meet a commission paid design employee with the resoureces needed to meet their sales goals and be successful. They rely upon a limited number subcontractors to do all hardscape work that is highly marked up above other companies to make them competitive in the market. They employ only unionized planting installation crews that are limited to what they can do in the field and need a lot of direction. Management does not listen to their employees needs or give any concern to improving the department or helping their employees be more successful. They do not bring in any fresh minds, but rather move long time existing employees into management positions that they are unqualified for to beat the same drum the board of directors wants them to beat: keep salary's low, don't spend any money on advertising, marketing, technology, or make any major changes to an anaquated department. Any new employee can expect low starting pay, a lot of support personal turn over, working all your  more... weekends in the summer & long hours to meet your sales goals, lack of appreciation, a negative work environment, minimal annual raises even after meeting your set goals and a lack of leadership to change these problems. Any young person looking for a company to grow with should look to successful landscape companies that do not farm out hardscape installation to subcontractors but rather do all their own installations in house and are non unionized.  less
Pros
Learn skills you can take else where
Cons
Poor compensation, lack of appreciation, poor management
Ok place to work
Wedding & Special Events Manager (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 8, 2019
I really enjoyed my job there but the HR manager is AWFUL!!! Unless they've replaced the HR manager, I would not recommend working there. The owners are wonderful people and I very much respect the Bachman family but the HR manager is so terrible that is made working there unbearable. Pay was decent.
Pros
Lots of talent, great products, wonderful owners
Cons
HR Manager- YIKES!!!
Creative and inspriing staff to work with.
Planter Designer (seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 28, 2018
I worked part time at Bachman's, during the off season, creating custom designed floral arrangements and containers. The corporate culture of Bachman's is followed closely and their reputation is well known in the marketplace. I gained new skills that added to my landscape design experience, that I was able to apply to my clients.
Pros
Feedom to be creative, positive team, pleasant working enviironment
Cons
Short term position, would've preferred more hours.
It was fun at first
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 19, 2018
Your fellow employees are wonderful and fun to work with but unfortunately there is quite a bit of micromanaging by your managers and floral designers.
Pros
Coworkers, flowers, plants
Cons
micromanaging, salary, poor guidance
Awesome manager and good experience
Groundskeeper Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 18, 2018
My typical day of work started with meeting my manager to go over the day's plan. Then I typically watered at Minneapolis and then we drove to another location to weed, prune, water and plant. We would get two breaks and a lunch break. The hardest part of the job was the summer heat. The most enjoyable part of the job was the relaxed atmosphere.
Terrible managment
Floral Associate (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 4, 2018
I worked in floral, they gave me decent pay, i told them i could work days cause i have school at night. The manager on the lyndale location in floral is terrible, shes rude and does not care about anyone else but herself. I just started working there in April, she gave me my first schedule , and kept scheduling me on a different schedule and punished me for it. The other manager is lazy and complains all the time, and judges people. I do not recommend working here. The employees are very rude and judgmental.
Cons
Managment was lazy and rude
Relaxed environment with little motivation
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 24, 2017
Most of the time I spent as a stock clerk here I could move product around without any need to rush. The environment was very laid back and I did not have to report to a boss very often. Employees were trusted to do work rather than prove they were working.
Bachman's does not value their employees
Buying Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 24, 2017
Bachman's does not value their employees. They cut ever corner they can to avoid giving employees benefits. Very little recognition for accomplishments and good job performance. Insulting pay increases.
Cons
poor pay, very little recognition
Work atmosphere is wonderful, pay is below average in the industry
Lead Garden Maintenance / Floral Specialties (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 2, 2016
Nearly every position in the entire company is great. Pay falls below industry standards but company makes up for that in benefits and work environment. Very good life/work balance.
Pros
life/work balance, work environment
Cons
pay
Ehhh
Stock Team Member (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNFebruary 23, 2016
This is a pretty boring job. You pretty much just grab flowers from a truck and then put them on a table. It is not hard at all. Anyone with a heartbeat can do this job.
Love the people I worked with.
Supervisor-Nursery Receiving Distribution (Former Employee) –  Both Mpls and LandscapeSeptember 11, 2014
I loved working for the company in the family business. The hardest part of the job was the seasonal peaks. Amazing people to work with. I am just ready for a change.
Pros
great small family company
Cons
very high busy peaks
Empresa muito agradável de se trabalhar
Order Processor Clerk (Assistente Administrativo) (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 1, 2013
Ótima empresa para se trabalhar. Boa remuneração, bom ambiente de trabalho e ótima receptividade para funcionários estrangeiros.
nice place to work
Floral Designer (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 31, 2013
You get to be creative. We have not worked 40 hours every week for years and got a pay cut 3 years ago that we have not gotten back. It can be hard work and long hour at holidays
Pros
beautiful flowers does provide 401k and health care
Cons
short breaks, low pay bad holiday hours