Back On My Feet Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Back On My Feet
Program Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 2, 2018
I had an amazing experience working at Back On My Feet. I learned so much about the culture and importance of personal health! I loved watching member reach their goals and succeed each week!
No clear vision or mission
Program Staff (Former Employee) –  USASeptember 22, 2017
Terrible office politics, CEO would talk smack about other employees. The priority was always on the development end, program staff had to bend over to the development staff constantly. Programming for members seemed forced, member stories trite and awful. Most national staff come from for profit and treat BoMF that way. I hope they get audited.
Pros
unlimited vacation time
Cons
overwork employees/expect too much
Great Non-profit
Student Researcher (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 24, 2016
Non-profit to benefit homelessness in Indianapolis. Worked on a student research team to help determine if the event format needed to be changed to attract more attendees.
Amazing non-profit organization
Intern (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 29, 2015
Back on my Feet taugh me so much about life, integrity, motivation and equality in such a small amount of time. I really enjoyed my intership here.
Pros
networking
Cons
unpaid
Nonprofit
Member (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 14, 2013
This a non profit organization to help homelessness in cities.
Productive and Fast Pace Workplace
Program Director  (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 28, 2013
Productive and fast pace workplace for self starters and career centered individuals
Great for young, upcoming ambitious type
Director (Current Employee) –  BoMFFebruary 4, 2013
You'll love the mission, you'll love the Members, you'll love your co-workers. But you'll work harder than you've ever worked before and don't look to headquarters to show you their appreciation--you'll need to look to the Members you help overcome homeless if you want to feel good about why you've neglected your family, friends and self to make Back on My Feet succeed.

The job offers great opportunities to advance your career in terms of the scope of work you will be able to add to your resume--but there are no real opportunities to advance within the company. The best part: the flexibility and autonomy. The worst part: that flexibility means you may find yourself working past midnight or through vacations and that autonomy means that there's no one to help you with your work load.

Would I recommend this job? Sure, as long as you have the ability to set boundaries, but even then expect that your work/life balance will be skewed FAR in favor of work. This job is a fantastic stepping stone to set you in the right direction. And there are ample opportunities to make the job your own and feel great about the impact you have on the organization and in your city and, most amazingly, in someone's life. However, I wouldn't recommend this to the person who has family obligations or is more settled in their career. It's a young company with young professionals at the helm but in a few years I suspect they'll have mastered the waves and as long as you don't get seasick you may enjoy the ride.

(P.S. The start date on this review is bogus to provide anonymity since there are only about
  more... 50 employees nationwide.)  less
Pros
unlimited vacation!
Cons
who has time to take a vacation?
Engaging work for a worthy cause
Director of Communications and Corporate Relations (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 10, 2013
This fast paced, creative content creation, development, and corporate communications role was a baptism by fire and has taught me so many invaluable life and professional lessons. After close to three years in this position, I am have strong corporate ties to the Boston business community and beyond, as well as confidence in almost any situation, such as communications development, fundraising, and event management. I have led board meetings and regularly take the lead role within the organization for projects and outreach. I am responsible for every piece of written word that leaves the organization -- from messaging to brochures to social media -- and have an expertise in brand management.

I work closely with my colleagues and enjoy the solidarity of large group efforts as well as the responsibility of solo assignments. I work well under pressure and meet deliverables.

It's been an honor to devote so much of myself to Back on My Feet, but I am ready for the next move in my personal and professional growth.
Pros
working for a good cause, friendships formed with coworkers, extremely flexible work environment
Cons
compensation, health care, professional development