Back to Basics Learning Dynamics

Working at Back to Basics Learning Dynamics: 23 Reviews

United States23 reviews

payworkstudentgreatcompanystaffbasicjob

Disorganized but positive work environment

The higher-ups at this company seem really disorganized. They don't seem to have a grasp on what's going on all the time and their communication is so-so. Meetings are disorganized and a lot of people end up having questions at the end.That being said, it's a positive work environment and you can tell they care about their work and helping students succeed.It's a good place to work, but don't expect stable work hours. Plan to have a second job.

Productive and supportive

This is a very supportive company that welcomes new ideas and supports their staff. I have learned and grown in my virtual teaching skills and feel that my skills and experience are valued! I have taught for 15 years and love the flexibility of working at this tutoring company to supplement my income. They have tons of fantastic learning resources as well. I would highly recommend!

Pros

Flexibility-supplemental pay-supportive

Back to Basics Learning Dynamics insights

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job

Flexible hours and good support from management.

I have enjoyed tutoring for Back to basics. I feel like I have been matched with students according to my skill set and preferences. I have also gotten help and support when needed from the company.

May 24, 2022
We are happy to see that the position is meeting your expectations. We are always striving to improve so don't hesitate to reach out to our project manager if you have suggestions. Thank you again for the 5 stars.

Great place to work ... you can make a difference in a student's life!

I started my experience with Back-to-Basics as an independent contractor and later as a part-time tutor/homebound instructor. I could not be happier with my experience! Employee expectations are clearly communicated and other employees and management treat you with respect. Management understands that you may be working other jobs or have other obligations. Best of all: I feel like I am making a difference working with my students.

Pros

Flexible scheduling, paid fairly, friendly management

May 24, 2022
Thank you for the great review. We love seeing our tutors happy and yes, you are making a difference in students learning. Too many students have COVID Learning loss and due to our contracts with school districts, we can help students recover and get back on track with great educators, like you.

The new management doesn’t pay a fair rate

The translations were occasional, I charged a fair rate and they ALWAYS disputed my charges. Always try to devalue my service, even though they knew I was the only one on the team that could do the job.

May 24, 2022
We are sorry you felt this way. Perhaps discussing rate increases for services before you do them would be a benefit in the future. We wish you the best of luck.

Flexible, Remote Work

By far, my greatest incentive for working at Back to Basics is the opportunity to work remotely and make own schedule. Full-time staff are friendly and professional and offer excellent support to their tutors. Online tutoring is challenging and while the pay is about or above average for a face-to-face tutor (depending on one's experience), I could wish for pay that is commensurate with the effort required to teach online and to prep digital materials.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

No benefits accrue to independent contractors

May 24, 2022
Thank you for your review and your feedback. We value our tutors and always want to learn from them. Please reach out to our project manager with any suggestions you may have that we could incorporate.

Flexible hours and great mission

I worked this summer tutoring students at a community center. The pay was great, I received plenty of training from the company. The program had a bumpy start but the management team did a wonderful job of keeping us in the loop. A lot of the issues were outside of their control as often happens when dealing with schools and parents. Overall, I was very pleased with the job, the company, and will be continuing to tutor this school year. They allow me to set my hours and can work remotely. It's a great part-time job. Management gave us an unexpected bonus.

Pros

Flexibility, rewarding work, inclusive

May 24, 2022
Thank you for your wonderful review. We really appreciate your 5 stars and are happy that you felt valued and that you enjoyed the bonus. We really try to reward our employees when we can.

Very supportive and encouraging environment

I worked with Back to Basics Learning Dynamics summer tutoring program and it was a great experience! The lines of communication were open with the entire team and I always received a reply quickly when I had questions about students or resources needed. I never felt like I was alone in the process and loved every minute working the the team and the students assigned to me. Also, I really appreciated the ability to work my own schedule out with the students.

Pros

Pay was very good. Teamwork was great. Overall, an incredible summer experience.

Cons

No cons! I loved every second of it!

May 24, 2022
Thank you for the great 5 star review. We are glad you enjoyed working with us. We hope you'll come back to work with us next summer and refer other educators to our company for part-time extra income.

Good Mission, Bad Management

I was hired by Back to Basics as a summer tutor. I truly believe the mission of Back to Basics is genuine, but my experience was not great. I think that the company was way in over their heads with their summer tutoring program. There were only a few helpful people who worked here and a lot of the time when questions were asked, a rude answer was returned for no reason. I think they were overwhelmed and often took it out on their tutors for asking questions, especially when directions and information wasn't clear. The pay was good and my students were great, but that didn't make up for the bad vibe given off by management.

Pros

Schedule, pay

Cons

Mangagement, communication

May 24, 2022
Thank you for your feedback. While we wish the start of the summer program had started out more smoothly, it was completely out of our hands. We were at the mercy of our clients and sometimes parents and schools do not move as quickly as we would like. We understand it caused some confusion and we tried our best to communicate issues as we became aware of them. For those, that stuck it out we gave a nice bonus too. We wish you the best of luck.

Don’t work here

This place is awful. I got hired as an online tutor. They promised we would be paid for a training and they paid late. I questioned them on this and was met with hostility. I got a direct phone call where I was insulted and they implied that they didn’t need me. They tried to twist a very clear statement in an email to excuse why they were paying late. So I resigned. They promised curriculum and we were just given a packet. They refused to respond to questions and weren’t good at communicating anything. I don’t mind being patient but I will not be patient when it comes to my pay.

Pros

Flexible schedule

Cons

Unprofessional, bad at communication

May 24, 2022
Thank you for your feedback. We never like to see our employees unhappy. I'm sorry that our pay schedule did not work for you. We have never not paid someone for work, as a matter of fact, we paid for training and gave those that worked the whole summer a bonus at the end for all their hard work. The summer program did not get off to a smooth start and I'm sorry if you felt that our staff was rude. We wish you the best of luck.

I understand that the ownership has changed hands since I worked there, so I cannot speak to the management style.

I loved working at Back to Basics Learning Dynamics, Inc. The rapport built with each child was amazing. Watching each of my students grow was astonishing. I had wonderful support from the administration and from my fellow teachers. We worked together to make the school feel like an actual school for the children who attended. For the children who came to us to be tutored, we all tried to give them a love of learning. The hardest part of the job was letting each student go when his or her journey with us was completed.

Pros

Meeting new people and teaching children the joys of learning.

Cons

Class preparation, driving to student's houses, and salary

Not worthwhile

Unpaid meetings. Lots of promises and no follow through. Can’t make a living wage. Lots of exceptions and a few favorites. Don’t waste your time.

Cons

Unpaid meetings. Few studenrs

There was complete flexibility of hours.

The staff was very supportive. There was also a variety of references and materials that I could use with my students. Once a mistake was made or the owner did not agree with your teaching style, you were not given more students to tutor.

They own you.

Not a nice company to work for Low pay, not good benefits, they have high expectations but very one sided. They take advantage of the worker and nasty owners

Great workplace; able to be part of company growth

Excellent staff. Office personnel fun to work with. Contact with many diverse individuals. Every day brings something new. Owners are passionate about growing the company but do not lose sight of the individual clients. Always happy to take a call from a parent or an entity representative.

Fun Workplace with Great People

This is a great place to work. The owners are understanding and innovative, as well as passionate about the business. The staff is great as well! You're constantly able to learn new things and your input is appreciated.

Fun, Growth-Oriented Environment

The new owners at Back to Basics--who started here in July of 2018--have been great for the growth of the company. They have huge goals for the expansion of our services, and they want us to succeed as a group. It feels like my contributions make a difference because they're very open to feedback. They also promote a fun environment that doesn't make coming to work a huge stress in my life. The company is headed in some exciting directions for sure.

Great New Owners

I've worked at Back to Basics for 4 years and really love working with the staff and the students. I tutor in the center and at homes or libraries. I also work with homebound students. I've never seen so many happy full-time employees. They have a new owner and it shows. Everyone is relaxed, there is great work-life balance, and the new owners have an open door policy. Working at Back to Basics is part-time work for tutors, interpreters, and translators. But, I can tell you there are many weeks I work over 30 hours. They have a great reputation for hiring professional and schools use them a lot. I have referred other friends who were looking to make extra money to Back to Basics.

Excellent place to be a contractor

If you are a professional working in one of the fields Back to Basics offers services in- this is an excellent place to apply. I am treated as the professional I am and given autonomy over my choice of contracts, the schedule, and the way in which the work is completed. The individuals who organize these arrangements know what they are doing. They have several employees who manage much of the incoming contracts/workload who are wonderful to work with and respectful of our expertise. I truly enjoy representing their company.

Great Staff and Students. Rewarding Experience

Positive work environment and friendly staff who appreciate your hard work. You may do in Center tutoring, Homebound Instruction, Tutor at students' homes or at libraries. Also, during the school year you may assist with RTI instruction. The students are a pleasure to work with. They are the best part. You do your own assessments and plan lessons for your students' individual needs. It is very rewarding to see students make progress!

Pros

Wonderful staff and students. Work one-on-one. Flexible Schedule

Cons

Not enough pay as a full time job. No health insurance for Tutors. Not paid for driving time.

May 24, 2022
Thank you for your review. We are always looking at ways to improve and value the feedback of our employees. Although we do not offer health insurance because most of our tutors are part-time, they are eligible for 401K benefits after the first year.

Difficult to earn a living wage

This kind of position makes it very difficult to earn enough to sustain an independent lifestyle. It is better suited for retirees who only want to bring in a little extra cash.

Pros

none that I can think of

Cons

no paid prep time

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Back to Basics Learning Dynamics. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits