Backyard Products LLC

Backyard Products LLC Employee Reviews

Great job. Not great pay
Job requires lots of driving. Most of the time i was stuck leaving for Work at 2 am because I would have to drive 3-4 hours The perk was that once I was done building, I was done for the day So I’d be done around noon but would still have to drive 3-4 hours to get home It was a constant battle to get paid fairly for painting which took weeks to see in pay Most jobs range from $200-300. When your driving out of state it gets tough
The lack of communication
This employment is a joke you have to fight to get paid the right amount every other week and Management only cares about them self no benefits and bad fuel Reimbursement
January 15, 2020
Hello,

We appreciate your feedback and have gotten this to upper management.
Unprofessional
They have this ad up seeking for people to do their work but never answer their phone. I believe in first impressions and these people are already lacking alot of character.
Very good people to work for
Very good people to work for. Helpful and supportive. a team environment. Close to home, good hours, I can take time anytime I need it. I can work overtime anytime during summer months
Shady/Terrible Company To Work For!!!!
I worked at this company for right at 3.5 years, and I gotta say it was a complete waste of time!! This is a company that doesn't treat you like you're part of a team/family, so if you're wanting that, it ain't here! If you work at one of the branches, which is where I worked, you're ran by corporate, however, they never ask you for your input or insight into how things might be better, they just jump in constantly to tell ya where you're in the wrong! The sad realization is that I'm actually ashamed to have stayed and worked for a company that's so shady! I was told initially when I began the job, that I was going to be made to lie to work at Backyard, & that's exactly how it was the entire time! I had to forge documents, they lied about their buildings in FL, & certain things about sheds don't meet code! They terminate folks left and right too, which is an indicator that it's a terrible company, that most people don't give their all to! Um hello?!! One of the strangest things to me was that I was always warned to never reach out to anyone at the corporate office, in the high ranking positions that is, they were just not to be addressed! Ha ha! What total bunk! Anyway, on a serious note, my point in stating any of these facts, is to say to anyone looking to work here, no matter what the position is...don't do it! Don't buy their products either, because they use the cheapest of materials! They don't care how the installers build their products, because there's absolutely zero repercussions for the installers! This company expects you to just make things happen, - more...
Work at your own pace
This is a good place to work, get to build sheds at your pace. There is potential to make really good money if you are fast and can build more than one shed a day. If you only build one a day though it can be tuff to pay all the Bill's all the time. Also it's a 1099 job so you have to account for your own taxes and 0 benefits.
Great location to work at
The managers at this branch are awesome, I loved working with them. My only problem was corporate. Corporate absolutely DOES NOT want to give anyone a raise which really sucks when you’re working your tail off doing the job of three people. Also, the builders kind of suck to work with because they’ll just call in right before they have to be at a build and then you get to deal with the angry customer, and the builder is not healed responsible.
I wouldn’t recommend
Doesn’t evaluate on job performance at all and brown nose culture. People steal things off your desk. No discipline certain people get away with a lot there. You don’t have to work hard there because it doesn’t matter to them. It’s a bad environment mostly loud dramatic women there and guys acting like that too. They don’t like confident alpha types that do their job better then them.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Co workers, management, doesn’t evaluate job performance, very loud, dramatic high school environment
Stressful/negligent
When you work here a typical start to your day is an installer not showing up for work or stealing extras in the yard.
You then have to call their now incredibly mad customer and lie. Because management makes you.

They have no recourse for installer infractions.

When I began working there the lead manager would go on rampages throwing things and swearing. Berating the assistant managers. To this day no one has ever apologized for this incredibly hostile environment. Which was better than dealing with the up and down nature of the Regional managers.

Also when I started, there was sewage leaking under the building. The smell would be so foul the girl I was working with and I would have to leave. We eventually moved to the back of the warehouse, for and I quote "our safety". The warehouse guys hit the doorway so often the window almost broke, so a manager put a large piece of osb in it.

That way glass wouldn't fly in my face while I worked.

The in house managers have no say here, they sent in over 10 quotes for the toilet problems. That is why it took a year to get repaired. They also pay 30% less than every other company in Tacoma. You will make the same money working at Jamba Juice and life will be safer.

When I brought up the issues with upper management I was told in more words, that my opinion did not matter and every other Admin was dealing with the same things.

This company has a really hard time keeping employees, and I completely understand why.
Pros
The direct supervisors are fun
Cons
pay/safety problems/customers
Shady Shady Shady
I've never before worked at a place so crooked in my life. I would waist my own hours and skills to try and build a relationship with customers who had been swindled by the company I worked for. I felt it's my reputation on the line and tried to do the right thing but the right thing doesn't feed my kids. Terrible management, pay, hours and all around work environment. Unfortunately they have a market on what they do because they're through the entire United States so they don't have to answer individually to workers or customers, corporate doesn't care.
Pros
Found my new employer while installing for backyard.
Cons
More like con- artists
October 23, 2019
We are sorry we you had this experience, please give us a call if you would like to discuss more.
rude and no direction
I went to Medina 2 meet manager but he left for some appointment. I drove 50+ mins to meet him. I do NOT Recommend anyone try to work for this company
Pros
Cons
horrible management, and disrespectful, un helpful, office workers. terrible experience and first impression
October 23, 2019
We are sorry you had this experience, we would like to solve this. if you would like you can reach out to us at our corporate office at 734-242-6900.
Try to be a family type atmosphere
Not near enough people to provide the customer service necessay to satisfy customers.. phone system needs to be improved to handle call volume. The people there are great just not enough thought put into effective customer service.
Pros
Free coffee, nice atmosphere.
Cons
Better salary
Great place for a career
Great structure and solid management team.

Company offers great benefits, along with vacation time off.

Opportunity to advance your career.

Always feel like I am part of a family which is huge for me and says a lot for a national company.
Pros
Advancement from within, rewarding
horrible place to work !!!
The manager there mike is a horrible boss. He is rude and extremely high tempered . He also is very inappropriate with women employees. He also makes promises of moving up and its all lies. do not ever work here.
March 11, 2019
We apologize for your experience, we would like to address this. Please reach out to the Human Resources team at 734-242-6900.
Management lacks assertiveness/no pay raises
Overall this isn’t a terrible place to work. The pay is not enough to live off of unless you have a few roommates and the manager lacks the ability to converse with customers. There is no real room to grow and most of the builders are unreliable, making it more difficult to do your job.
Pros
Nice people in office. Somewhat relaxed environment.
Cons
Ineffective management, no growth, pay, snow day policy is a joke
Cool Company in Growth Mode
Lots of opportunity to grow here. Though its tough day to day, it can be rewarding as they look inward for process improvements and are looking to bolster an enriching culture.
Pros
Exposure to lots of skill training
Interesting place to work
Expectation level with little resources is above the level with which normally can be procured. Upper management not in touch with the work force or the work aspects
Pros
Schedule
Cons
low resources and no support
A very satisfying Job
I just completed my 19th year with the company. We have many other employees with 10, 20 and 30 years of employment at Backyard Products - both at local locations and our corporate office. It is a fast paced seasonal business 6 to 9 months out of each year. If you are up for the challenge and want the opportunity to move up, this is the company for you. We have former entry level staff that were promoted and are now Regional Managers.

There is a culture of customer first. We work as a team to bring that experience to each customer and solve any problems along the way. No company, no system is perfect. It is how you handle the bumps in the road that make the difference in success.

There is always a variety of things happening to make it interesting and fresh. The company is frequently rolling out new products.
Pros
Great company always looking to grow into new areas with opportunity
Cons
Fast paced environment due to seasonal surge of sales
Management has lost touch with reality
The company is great in the beginning. Realistic goals, help and answers. The company preaches its customer first moto but only uses it when it suits them. The problem is the business model is broken and nobody from the RM up wants to hear it. They keep saying you have a capacity issue, but offer no help to fix it. This company relies on subcontractors to build their product, not employees. They see you have a profitable year then raise your next years goal to an unattainable amount.
The company doesn't believe in pay raises and there is no place to move up. Their bonus program is greatly skewed and set you up so you can't make it.
Pros
None come to mind except a paycheck
Cons
Horrible management that only care about themselves
This company is wonderful to work for.
I enjoy everyday in my position. Management is not cut throat but they do promote you to improve in the areas possible. It is a typical 8 hour work day and times you work can vary. Also you are required to work some saturdays, however I never minded it. The environment in the office is great, you never feel like your walking on pins and needles. I find it to be a great place to work, but you have to keep in mine that it is seasonal.
Pros
You get a lunch and 2 tens, the atmosphere is great, management is great and personable
Cons
Seasonal
Backyard Products
When I first started working here, I was told by the TM was in line for promotion to Regional Mgr. Shortly after my hire, the promotion went thru and I was then promoted up to Territory Manger, this was prior to peak season.

Staff was never held accountable and when I instituted changes, met with criticism and push back. Assistant was hired by RM with knowledge he couldn't work early shifts or after hours. This was learned within days of him starting and was brought to RM attention but nothing was done about it. Lack of cooperation on his part during the busy season and him being disrespectful to RM caused his termination but well after the 90 day window had expired. The remaining office staff when asked to perform their tasks and call backs in a timey fashion, was met with inconstant action.

I had a successful first season but there were many issues. From the beginning of March thru August, I was in before 6am until 8pm many shifts upwards 6-7 days.. We addressed them in the off season. We hired new staff and added additional installers. My follow up to senior office staff was communicated but not taken as constructive.

From that first season, I was awarded best performance from Lowes and also had beat out the home territory of Costco's for single best site sales performance.

During my second season, staff was dissatisfied with changes from lessons learned. I had a new assistant, who was tasked with an incentive for a new position. I had told him he needed to be more pro-active because the RM wanted to see more from him before elevating him. Unfortunately, he
 - more...
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Backyard Products LLC. Our community is ready to answer.