Baker Distributing Company Culture reviews

an interesting place for sure
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Colchester, VTMarch 14, 2019
if there's one thing that the place does well is it forces you to have great work ethic and teaches you to work with your teammates and the harder you worked you'd be praised
What’s the fun in enjoyable place to work
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  United StatesJanuary 23, 2019
What’s the fun in enjoyable place to workGreat place to work fine and adorable real nice balls real nice customers great benefits good hours Also great trying to facility good management
Pros
One hour lunch
Cons
One hour lunch
Good place to work but slightly understaffed during employment
Shipping and Receiving (Former Employee) –  Doraville, GAJanuary 3, 2019
A typical day included shipping/receiving H-VAC products including bulk pallets, freight, and parcels. As long as I was getting my job done management was kept to a minimum, and the general workplace culture was casual.

The hardest and most enjoyable part of the job was expanding the warehouse space and personally planning and implementing item locations to the entire warehouse. It was extremely demanding physically and mentally as I had to manage doing my day to day activities while putting up shelving, planning item locations, and assign the locations in the system, but the end result was extremely satisfying and the process was some of the most fun and engaging work I've ever had.
Top heavy and heads in the sand
Demand Planner (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 1, 2018
The Watsco group, as a whole, and Baker Distributing, specifically, is not a place you stay. It is a stepping off point or the last place you go before you find a good company to retire from -- rather like the terrible relationship you have right before you marry the person of your dreams; you have to go through it to appreciate where you're at. That is Baker Distributing.

Baker is very top heavy with people who have been in their jobs forever and are either hellbent on protecting their turf (and their job/status) or provide no value to the company and are simply there because of inertia (and no one seems to know how to get rid of underperformers unless they are not part of the Old Guard or a member of the clique).

Baker has everything on paper to be successful, but the culture became so toxic and dysfunctional that it was a shock that they made any money at all.

If they were to reduce the number of presidents, vice presidents, division presidents, to under a dozen, and get a couple of folks who truly understood how to relate to, and successfully inspire and lead, their people, the pay and benefits could be overlooked.

But they haven't (and/or won't?). The benefits are not beneficial. You have health insurance that you can't use, vision and dental that is just "okay," and that is about it. You can buy Watsco stock (I would definitely do this), and the 401k is about average. The salaries they offer don't come close to making up for these gaps, and Watsco doesn't appear to care that people are leaving in droves because of them. As it stands, if you have (or
  more... want to start) a family, Watsco is not the place for you.  less
Pros
A good stepping stone
Cons
Everything else
Poor management
Counter Manager (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 4, 2017
This is a great company, that had a bad manager for my time in Orlando, FL, otherwise the company is well run on a corporate level. The benefits are good and the pay is competitive.
Very good environment to work in. Friendly people.
Territory Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Jonesboro, ARMay 2, 2017
I enjoyed working at Baker. The management treated its employees very well. If you did your work in a timely manner and achieved your sales goals you where rewarded very nicely. Great place to work!
Not my cup of tea
Territory Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKAugust 16, 2016
Baker is great. Salesman is not the job for me. I like sales as l;ong as I am solving a customers problem. Peddling parts and supplies is not it.
Great Place to Work
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 5, 2016
I enjoyed my time at Baker. It was a great place to work. Supportive staff and help to develop my skills. I would work that again.
fast paced environment
Counter Sales for a HVAC/R Distributor (Current Employee) –  Gastonia, NCDecember 15, 2015
your typical day consist of helping customer with finding the proper products that they need and fulfilling their orders.
You are just a number to them
Territory Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 4, 2015
This company has too many people in the upper management role. There is no support from your local manager yet you will take all of the blame.
Pros
Good relationships with customers
Cons
Too many VP's
Baker has a huge opportunity in South Florida in the Refrigeration arena, but not so miuch in the HVAC field.
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 3, 2015
Understanding their strengths and weaknesses will help Baker truly excel in the South Florida area.
Trying to compete with the other Watsco brands in the are will continue to be a challenge I feel.
Pros
Great Senior Management
Cons
Local management and culture
Great co-workers fun place to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  Colchester, VTOctober 14, 2015
very repetitive labor but with a great group of guys. It was easily turned into something that was fun and productive. This job helped push my mental math skills to another level as counts need to be completed quickly and are dealing with thousands of any particular product. The hardest part of this job was the hours it was not unheard of to work an 80 hour work week, however even with such long hours the team of guys i worked with and worked under me made the job both competitive and fun.
Pros
Benefits, Pay, Co-workers
Cons
Long Hours, very repetitive
Excellent Place to Work
TERRITORY MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 9, 2015
This company has great management and a fantastic culture. I would absolutely work there again. Excellent comp package and training.
loved my job
National Residential HVAC Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  jacksonville flMarch 25, 2015
good company no pay raises
lots of great people to work with and they work together great
good products
has 401k
easy to get to work right off the main road
Pros
great people
Cons
no pay raises
Nanny and Pappa shop
warehouse man/ chasier (Former Employee) –  mckinney txJanuary 13, 2015
very friendly shop/warehouse great business lot of fun, great learning experience boss was elder lots of fun willing to teach it is what i liked about Herman Crist.
Great place to work.
Counter Salesman (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCApril 10, 2013
Management was great. Everybody there was easy to get along with.
Great place to work for dynamic types. No one standing over your shoulder if you're productive.
HVAC Department Mgr. (Former Employee) –  Marietta, GAJuly 21, 2012
They encourage learning new skills, co-workers are helpful. I love serving the customers, unfortunately my co-workers treated the customers like second class citizens. Need more respect for the heating and air group, not just the refrigeration techs.