BAKER ELECTRIC

BAKER ELECTRIC insights

What people like
  • Fair pay for job
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Sense of belonging

Low Pay for CW

Most CWs you’ll meet on the job-site are working towards entering the apprenticeship for local 401. It can be aggravating to know that you are learning nothing each day as you hang solar panels while trying to become an electrician. It is a grind to work on a remote field with no per diem and a capped incentive. CWs also install the panels in two man crews, making the job more difficult and dangerous to save the company money. This also goes against the safety guidelines provided which require a three man crew.

Pros

Hours count towards apprenticeship

Cons

Repetitive Tasks, Nothing to learn, Low Pay

Good

Good union company to work for. Good pay , benefits and reasonable management. Very knowledgeable journeymen and foremen who will show you everything they know and encourage you in your apprenticeship. Great company to work for and learn from in the San Diego area.

Take advantage of someone

Poor payTons of workAll about managementHigh prices driving customers back

Harsh environment, bad work life balance.

If you enjoy being screamed at in front of the entire office on a daily basis for things your boss was responsible for, this may be the job for you. Do you like free soda, a once-a-month catered lunch, and basic benefits with a solid salary? Well, these things all sound wonderful until you realize most employees are expected to work 10-16 hours a day at the office, then more from home at night, and use your personal car on a regular basis. You will be called into a hallway, or up in front of the entire divisional staff at the monthly meeting to be chewed out for something that was not your responsibility, or even a choice your boss made. They love to rake the new guys over the coals, and they will pile on the work until you go postal. The turnover rate at this company is insane, and for good reason. It's a horrid place to work. Best of luck future employees. Oh, and that retirement plan sounds great, but they lost everyone's money a couple of years ago.

Pros

Free lunches and snacks

Cons

No breaks, long hours, poor work life balance.

Established industry leader

Large company, established 80 years in So Cal, industry leader with multiple specialties. Good benefits. Good culture. For a privately owned business, they go out of their way to include everyone in the big picture, the overall performance, and projected performance in semi- annual meetings. They are good about recognition of achievement.

Pros

Lots of room to grow

Cons

Fast changing, gotta keep up!

Would you recommend working at your company?

Help people considering your employer make a good choice.

Great work bad people

Great work as I mostly worked on there TSG side but bad people if you want to move up. You basically have to brown nose and I ain't bout all that so... yep there it is there...I've worked for them 3 times once as a foreman and twice a a jw and each time I was always the best electrician (skills & knowledge) on the job. I've even did 2 major hospital central plants basically by myself under the GF but bypassing the foreman on the projects because the GF knew I should've been running the show. Problem was the superintendent, the GF and I knew that because I apprenticed with a crew of guys that worked with him way back in the day so I knew all about him.

Pros

Do your job they leave you alone

Cons

My main problem is always late but worth the wait.

Epic Failure due to Arrogance and Ignorance

Should have seen the unethical treatment towards employees from the get go...but wanted to make a change. Management structure was non-existing, project managers way or nothing. Zero opportunity to advise educate or even suggest solutions to obvious issues and concerns. Arrogance played a big part in every conversation or meeting to the point everyone involved just wanted it over so we could leave. This behavior has proven itself through my years of observations to be a sign of insecurity and incompetence (probably why project will be litigated for years). Corporate relies too much on unsubstantiated claims from Project Management that things are great ...until it’s too late. The philosophy of beg for forgiveness is better than asking for permission is utilized as a production push on the working crews, which is totally unfair to the genuine tradesman and field leadership. The workers in the field are dedicated to quality, craftsmanship, safety and a genuine concern for each person on the job (employee or not). Agreements that can be quite costly to an individual (Employee) can be denied without cause with no compensation. HR is a joke and can and will deny any claim of reason. Company is a joke and a shame because it has extremely dedicated and very hard working people in the field that are treated like cattle.Conversations with corporate management who promised transparency and precise communications failed at every turn.Myself, I would not recommend this company to wire my garage much less multimillion dollar projects. Grown too fast with ignorant corporate leadership -

Be prepared to run

Production is the utmost priority, regardless of what they tell you. It is customary to answer to two foreman in too large of a crew, creating stress on workers and conflicting direction. Also found some leadership to not hold themselves accountable for wrong directions and instead just laid crew members off, several times. Promotion opportunity was very selective (only on the buddy system) and definitely not diverse.

They really need to appreciate their workers more an dont overload to much work on a single man.

All the times I work with baker it all depends on which supervisor you are working under . But for the most part the company will take good care of u aslong as you put in 120% quality work .

Lot of OT not much family time

Great hours people you work with are great but some of the decisions that were made were questionable. They do not really know the skills of some of the people they have working from . Some of them are improperly utilized.

Pros

Lots of work

Cons

Work life balance

Helping out in warehouse duties.

Unload and load trucks Restock warehouse. Assist other coworkers with task. Be very safety conscience. Be willing to do things that aren't always in the job description.

Very good hours and benefits

Working at baker electric as an apprentice, obviously you are constantly learning. I enjoy learning and excel at it. When it comes to on hand skills, I pick up things very quickly. I can do most anything my Journeyman can do already. Now I just need the repetition to master it and become a professional in the trade.

Good

good company work for the based out of California work with them and a solar plant out at stateline that atmosphere was a little odd due to all the sandstorms

Great

Was awesome to work for baker electric always had someone to show me how to get the job done and just a great company to work for would defiantly recommend

Sneaky sexist and no training

Management sells you a family company and then overworks you and doesn’t provide support or training. Managers laugh at racist and sexist jokes and openly call harassment training a waste of time.

Do not work at this location until management overhaul happens

not a good place. PERIOD. no training. no real management. dictatorship. severe nepotism. no pipeline. projects falling apart. HR is not for the worker. HR refuses to change management Emotional leadership - we are joke in the industry

Great union shop

The gf was kind of a hardass but all the other management was great and they really go out of their way to help apprentices learn everything they can.

Not a good place if your looking for opportunity

No room for advancement. Your just a number and and eventually your number is up. I left well before my number was up but I didn’t see my self becoming better at my job if I continued to stay there.

Baker has great structure and treats their employees well

Baker Electric is a great organization to work for. They have many employee benefits and a great work atmosphere. i would still be there but unfortunetly I had to relocate.

Review

Union job , if your not family or your dad didn't work for the union. I sincerely wish you luck. Overall experience was a lot of nepotism in job advancement opportunities.

Don’t work here

Never got 40 hours not once only work they have is giving free tune up to past solar customers and was told to sell stuff give 5 estimates selling things people don’t kneed is not what I want to do with my life no longer working for baker can not say anything good about them,baker is a union electric company there Air condition business in non union.

Pros

Nony

Cons

Never got raises I was promised

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BAKER ELECTRIC. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• BAKER ELECTRIC