Baker Hughes Incorporated Employee Reviews

Found 2,840 reviews matching the search See all 4,583 reviews
Very good work for very good workers.
Material Handler/Inventory Specialist (Former Employee) –  Brighton, COJanuary 10, 2019
As an oilfield company, Baker Hughes was rather great while I worked there. The problems with employees stemmed not from the company selection process, but rather from the pool of candidates available to them. 90% were great. 10% had problems and were difficult to resolve.
The long hours didn't suit some folks, but for those that it did work for, the OT was fabulous. Earning $60K/year on $16/Hr is hard to scoff at.
If you wanted to make friends, you could. The aforementioned 10% were easy to evade as long as you were working and there was no shortage of work.
The safety culture was such that I still follow many of their rules and safety practices even in my personal life. It was very intuitive and effective.
I would still be there to this day had they not laid everyone off and shut down the yard.
Pros
A real career, complete with benefits, decent pay and satisfaction.
Cons
Long, difficult hours, on-call, heavy labor.
Great Benefits
Instrumentation Technician (Former Employee) –  Schertz, TXNovember 16, 2018
**My review is strictly based on one location and may not be an accurate representation of other facilities.**

It often seemed that there was no communication between departments and that lead to departmental conflicts.Daily work assignments could often seem unorganized, which led to confusion and wasted time. The overall morale of employees appeared to be a little low. Management actually got better over time, as new people came in and this helped raise morale a little.
This was a good place to learn shop skills, i.e. welding, pipe fitting and instrument fitting. The company had many safety committees that comprised of engineers, management and shop employees. The job was pretty easy, although there was difficulty trying to get the equipment or parts needed.
There were a lot of decent people to work with, and work for, and this made the days more enjoyable.
Pros
Great benefits and discounts
Cons
Communication
Great benefits but poor work/life balance
Quality Control Inspector III (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 15, 2019
I spent almost 8 years working for Baker. In that time I transitioned into multiple roles. With each transition I took on more responsibilities with higher demands to meet extremely poor planned deadlines.

Everything is "hot" and you get rushed to complete the job before 6 o'clock! If you're not going to make it by then you need to claim it now so it looks like it's done in the system. Hopefully, nothing goes wrong after. If so you,re now the fall guy. Oh, and you have to say as long as it take to finish it.

Then it can sit in the shipping department for a few months because it wasn't actually due to the customer until a few months and they don't need it yet. It was only "hot" because some manager told your manager that his manager needed it out ASAP!

This was the same story every week. Started on Wednesdays and sometimes into the weekends.

Great benefits though. Raises... are few and far in between. Personally, I liked my manager a lot. My co-workers weren't to bad either.
Benefits
Cons
Poor scheduling / resulting to poor work/life balance
Watch your back, culture of lazy employees poor management
Cnc machinist (Former Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXJuly 25, 2018
Not what I was expecting from a big company like baker Hughes since they merged with GE there is no overtime the yearly bonus and raise are very low now GE wants to sell baker Hughes because they are not making no money, all the cnc machines lathes or mill are hands free and everything is pre set for you pretty much all you are is a button pusher not a real machine shop, the management is very poor they go base of what they guys in day shift say pretty much the old machinist in day shift run the shop the supervisor are never there all they care is about the numbers and that’s it, you have to watch your back people go around spying to see if you are working or not they even take pictures and go tell management also if you are making too much production and you are making the guy in day shift look bad they will tell you too slow down or just change your offsets or move tools out more so you would crash your machine would not recommend this place at all specially if you are a real machinist.
Benefits
Cons
Culture of lazy people poor management no overtime
A great manager makes all the difference
HSE SPECIALIST, QUALITY SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Prudhoe Bay, AKSeptember 15, 2018
Upper management has little value for your opinion, and that shows when the budget tightens up. I had one really terrible manager, an okay manager, and for a long duration, an outstanding manager. That manager's ability to manage was the main reason for me not to leave sooner, as the attitude and safety culture of the employees was horrendous and went undisciplined.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Poor Employee Attitude
It was a nice company to work in but the job security is zero
Petroleum Engineer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 7, 2018
It was a nice company to work in but the job security is zero. when I joined Baker in 2008 the culture, the management was excellent

Baker Hughes, a GE company is an international industrial service company and one of the world's largest oil field services companies. As of July 2017 Baker Hughes is 62.5% owned by General Electric Company and 37.5% publicly traded.
Cutthroat company always looking to downsize
Engineering Specialist (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 19, 2018
The pay and benefits were good, but only 3 things matter to this company: cutting costs, stock price, and metrics. Everyone I knew was in constant fear of downsizing and when it happened it was often in critical places with no plan on how to continue performing. Everyone else was expected to pick up the slack, even when system constraints prevented the same person from having multiple roles. When these issues were brought up, the standard canned answer from upper management was "figure it out!"

This created a culture of sucking up and trying to one up the next guy. People working around the clock. It was not uncommon to get emails late into the night on the weekend with an expectation of immediate answers. Vacations were often cancelled at the last minute due to business needs. The company sometimes reimbursed cancelled travel plans, and other times not.

If you want to build your resume with a high power name, do a year here and get out as fast as you can. Otherwise, avoid it like the plague.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Everything else
Electrical Assembler
Electrical Assembler (Former Employee) –  Schertz, TXNovember 4, 2018
Good benefits,
A friendly environment,
most of the tasks involve team work.
on the job training
Good Safety and quality are huge part of GE workplace culture
Pros
team work, not very stressful, OT available always
Cons
not many opportunities for career advancement
Great Place to Work
Senior Operations Coordinator - LWD (Current Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 12, 2018
One of the last places you can still bust you butt to succeed. After a few years in, advancement opportunities start to thin out unfortunately. Oilfield pay is still above average industry-wise so that helps.
Pros
Competitive compensation
Cons
Expectation of 24/7 engagement
Good Company to work.
Accounts Payable Billing Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 16, 2018
I would very much have rather continue working at Baker Hughes but my position move to other place and I am not able to move..
Management always made time for employee to talk and discuss.
You always had support when you needed.worked with great people overall I enjoyed my job was close to home and the benefits were great unfortunately it move...
Still want to go back and enjoy same atmosphere.
Pros
Great place to work.
Cons
If company not doing much Laid off quickly.
Good place to be
Dispatcher/Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  Bossier City, LAJune 26, 2018
Baker Hughes is like any other place, you have your good days and your bad. My overall experience was really good with BH. I worked with a great group of guys and women. Always willing to lend a hand and be a team. Management treated you about as well as an Oil and Gas company possibly could. The benefits were above average and the equipment you had to work with met expectations. It's Oil and Gas so your family life does struggle from time to time but overall I would have to say, well...I would go back in a heartbeat.
Pros
Wages, benefits, people
A Great First Step into Corporate America
Sourcing Specialist Intern (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 6, 2018
I'm very pleased to have interned with the Drilling Services Sourcing department at BHGE in Houston. My supervisor was the best I could've possibly asked for; the management skills of the staff there were impeccable.
Pros
Stellar "first step" into corporate lifestyle, amazing management, perfect balance of friendly, team attitude and motivation/discipline, I could go on
Cons
GE is notorious for offering just a bit less than competitive pay, I wish I could've put my hands on the equipment, and could've gotten a bit more diverse experience, (e.g. rotated to different parts of the business during the internship)
Awesome Company.
DEPARTMENT ADMINISTRATOR II (Current Employee) –  LOUISIANAJanuary 8, 2019
I have worked at many companies but I was completely impressed by the culture, teamwork and especially Management at Baker Hughes to be exact. The Managers really care about their employees. I watch them leave late and arrive early. These Managers actually went in the shop and worked with their team versus just sending orders which spoke volumes. It is a Great Company with Great Employees.
Career building opportunities, fun, technically challenging, fair management practices
Product Regulatory Compliance Engineering Lead (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 16, 2018
Highly recommended for ones who take the initiative to create career advancement opportunities for themselves. Compensation is competitive can. the industry average.
Death to the meaning of life
Measurement While Drilling Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, PAJanuary 16, 2019
This is a place you go to die. Nearly 100 hours a week work with no planned time off and cut throat management that cares more about their own gains politically. Advancement depends on who likes you and only highly unqualified people manage. The top roles and highest paid positions were chanced upon and the entire industry is a fraud.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Everything Else
Environmental, Health & Safety Senior Manager III (Former Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 2, 2018
A great place to work.
I was able to increase my work portfolio through Baker Hughes training options and opportunities.
The management mostly followed the companies goals and policies. The company built a strong EHS culture, one that was followed closely.
Working with some great employees...
Pros
Great place to work. Great advancemet opportunities
relex
Technician assembler ll (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 29, 2018
Clock in and go to work exercise as a team.
How to build oil and gas valves.
Management was ok.
Culture was relax, cool mixture.
Learning the different style units to build and dealing with engineering changes.
The food.
Pros
8% match 401k
Cons
High turnover rate
had been an excelent place to work, until all the selling and reselling of companys
AMO tech (Current Employee) –  Woodward, OKOctober 24, 2018
Baker Hughes wireline has really missed the opportunity to thrive in todays market, due to corporate mismanagement. I see nothing but bad things for the future for this division of the company.
Pros
the people, the pay was average to low, benefits, insurance
Cons
all perks/bonuses were done away with.
Fair management and good opportunity for advancement
Wireline Field Engineer (Former Employee) –  Victoria, TXJune 24, 2018
I was relatively shocked at the lack of corruption and good ol boy system you usually find in place in this industry. Management was always fair and willing to work with you. They actually make family a priority and care about you at the district level.
Pros
401k, health insurance, pension matching, per diem
Cons
long hours, lots of travel, work during holidays and weekends
Ge was very poorly managed. New to the oil and gas space.
Contractor Coordinator/LNG Pad Packaging (Former Employee) –  Schertz, TXNovember 1, 2018
GE was new to the oil and Gas space and they bought a company that did not have contractual agreements buttoned down with client. Had lots of quality issues.
Pros
Great benefits.
Cons
poor management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Baker Hughes Incorporated. Our community is ready to answer.

51.7K
41.7K

Women's ratings

2.8Fairygodboss Score

33%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

75%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss