Baker Roofing Employee Reviews

Great place to work!
Service Foreman (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 21, 2019
I started working at Baker roofing in Richmond, VA with no knowledge of roofing and within a year they taught me the fundamentals of roofing and I became a Service Foreman. I owe my roofing career to Baker Roofing and if I ever return to the East Coast I would greatly like to work for them again. Thank you everyone at Baker Roofing!
good
Group Lead (Former Employee) –  Relief, NCMarch 15, 2019
great job and pay. worked well with coworkers and managers. able to travel around the country, make great money and learn a trade. The work did get difficult at times but we always got the job done
Pros
travel
Cons
loved working here for the time that i did
Sheet Metal Technician (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJanuary 9, 2019
i would love to move back to north carolina to work for this company. they paid you fairly for the cost of living in that state and compared to other companies they are very open to different nationalities.
Family oriented place
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Goodlettsville, TNJanuary 6, 2019
Department manager. Managed 8 crews, 1 CM and 2 sales managers. Approved invoices and Estimated all service work. Kelp good customer relationships. Completed job, safety Inspections
Pros
Free linch
Cons
Na
dynamic
Installer/Repairman (Former Employee) –  Pittsburg, CANovember 12, 2018
great company to work for and with. Roofing done right the old fashion way. Willing to do whats best to insure the job gets done right. and professionally.
Enjoy working at Baker
PURCHASING COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCNovember 8, 2018
Very busy fast paced, always learning, layed back environment. The hardest part of the job is making sure you can find the material needed for each job by the start date.
baker roofing
supervisor (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 27, 2018
when i started working for the comapny i was working in the gutter department they ran out of buesiness in the gutter department and they put me on a tar roofing crew and i didnt like it at all and the management or company doesnt care about the employees
Pros
Cons
everything
great company
Forman/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 3, 2018
great company has alot of ways to elevate grow and travel learn and develop skills that will get you through a life time to provide for you an your loved ones
Productive and great place to work
Payroll Accountant (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMay 23, 2018
Productive and great place to work. A well established company that has expanded its locations to other states. Owner is concerned for employees and customers.
Good job to start out a career if you love hands work and construction
Commercial Roofing (Former Employee) –  Weyers Cave, VAMay 18, 2018
I enjoyed being outs doors and using my hands to work physically. Schedule was good and I was able to still have a social life with the schedule they give.
Great company to work for
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaMay 8, 2018
Overall a great company to work for. If you want to move up and succeed, you have to be willing to put in the work. This can typically throw off your work/life balance a bit, but will allow you success within the company.
Pros
Great culture, top notch support system, high networking opportunities in the construction world.
Cons
A slow work week is 50+ hours if you're in management.
You want to be in Service, and not Production.
Roofer/Laborer (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 4, 2018
A typical day at work depends on if you are on the Service crew (smaller teams of two or three working on repairs) or Production (larger crews of 10 or 12 working on new construction projects.)

Service arrives at 7am, Production comes in by 5 or earlier. Neither will reach the job site until around 8am, and neither is paid until the job is reached, so while Production takes more hours out of your day, you don't make any extra money from this.

Management was usually good at the Crew Leader level. I didn't have enough experience with higher level management to say about them.

Hardest part of the job was the long amounts of time spent traveling to job sites, during which only the driver is paid.

Most enjoyable part of the job was the sheer labor and outdoors experience. It's also fun to banter with the guys.
Pros
Outdoors, physical
Cons
Poor benefits and unpaid hours
Very professional
Roofer (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCApril 5, 2018
Every one I have ever worked with here is down to earth and treat each other with fairness. The upper management is very understanding when it comes to needing time off or a job is not going as planned due to other trades worksite issues
Management favoritism, great employees
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMarch 26, 2018
Baker as a whole has a brilliant team of employees who make it great, management is another story. There are way too many levels of management that don’t seem to communicate with each other. You may discuss the same topic with 5-10 management personnel because everyone wants to be involved in everything.

Management most definitely likes to play favoritism, it doesn’t matter whether you do your job well and are profitable. It ultimately comes down to politics (who you know and who is favored).

If you can stay out of the eyes of upper management, do your job and keep to yourself, than it ultimately is a great place to work. I would work here again one day but walk on glass when dealing with upper management.
Pros
Great employees
Cons
Baker roofing is a great place to work
Foreman (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCFebruary 28, 2018
I worked at baker roofing for 2 years after about 6 months employed there i took the position of foreman in service. I really enjoy roofing since the very first day i steped on a roof i knew i would have a career in roofing its what i love being outside all day
Pros
High pay
Cons
High insurance
Awesome people to work with
Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAFebruary 26, 2018
Regretfully having to find something closer but have had fun working with all the coworkers and have learned a lot from them, they’re relaxed and very wel mannered
Pros
Great benefits and oppurtunities
Cons
Ride time
Fun group of people who get there jobs done in a timely manner
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 19, 2018
Anyone would enjoy this laid back and productive environment. Great group of people with all of the necessary skills and tools to operate a successful company.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Travel
Good starting point
Sheet Metal Mechanic (Current Employee) –  RalieghFebruary 13, 2018
Whike baker does provide a good starting point if you're ne to construction the balance of management and the job site itself is very disconnected. You are taught very little but have alot expected of you. All the while fixing the mistakes foreman keep telling you not to make.

The pay and certifications they help you get are great.
Pros
Compensatiom
Cons
Bad management
Official response from Baker Roofing
February 19, 2018

Hi there, thank you so much for your feedback. When you have a moment, if you could email recruiting@bakerroofing.com with your contact information, as we would like to discuss how we can make improve working at Baker Roofing. Thanks, Catherine

job
Labor (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCFebruary 11, 2018
very good place too work and grow, place fast paced and have to be very experienced on your Job but management is very helpful too make you grow in the company.
Pros
good pay
Cons
work out of town often
Know what you’re getting into
Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNFebruary 1, 2018
Locks were put on interior doors because things started disappearing from offices. On the residential side there is no opportunity for repeat clients, they are handed to the department head by the commercial side of the business, which has an 8 + year head start on contacting clients. Your only chance at success is to sell a customer the same products and installation that every other company offers but for significantly more. You cannot compete for Insurance work because of company pricing. My sales job was threatened when I I questioned why I was being asked to handle billing disputes. Your potential customers in this market are people with enough discretionary income to afford a new roof out of pocket, that’s it. Repeat business is captured by department head, Insurance work doesn’t pay enough.
Benefits
Cons
Narrow path for success

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Baker Roofing. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

4.2InHerSight Score

4.6Personal Development

3.8Career Opportunities

4.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight