Ball Aerospace

Ball Aerospace Employee Reviews

United States133 reviews
Local employees have a phenomenal professional relationship. Local management has genuine interest in employees’ personal and professional development.

Good benefit package; one of a few companies still offering an employer-paid pension. Other benefits similar to industry standard.
Great internship
Was a phenomenal place to work, well respected as an intern with lots of opportunities to learn and grow. Overall a fabulous company to work for. Availability of managers, mentorship, and diverse interests keeps place feeling supportive and like a space for growth.
na
Ok Culture, A lot of layers of management makes it difficult to progress.
Job descriptions for what you have been hired on do not match the job the employee is performing at all.Feels like a contracting company
Productive and Fun Workplace
It is fun and energizing to work at Ball Aerospace. The work is state-of-the-art, challenging, and stimulating. Job prospects are great as well. I encourage inquisitive engineers to apply here.
Managment is lost
My manager is in another city and considers it a choir to talk to any of his 100+ reports. HR is deliberately vague about where you will work. Work groups are very clannish about who the cool people are.
Job seekers rely on your experience.
Customer Oriented Company
Maintains a structured goal to meet or exceed customer requirements, delivering top of the line products in a timely manner. Ensuring all required needs of the customer are ensured per the statement of work.
Enjoyable work and great people
I enjoyed my 34 years at Ball. A typical day started with a meeting of some type, action items to be completed by different team members. I learned to work with a multitude of different personalities to get the best results for the work to be completed in a timely fashion. I worked closely with my management to flow down requirements to my team. Our workplace culture was one of inclusion and respect towards all. The hardest part of the job was to watch employees get discouraged with the HR group over lack of a promotion. The most enjoyable part was watching personnel move up the ladder and grow.
Ball
Good company to work for and depending where you work will determine a lot of things. Decent benefits but not as good as some. Biggest bonus is a company sponsored Pension.
Productive, serious work environment
Everybody on my team had been working at Ball Aerospace ever since they had finished higher education. For a variety of reasons including high pay, interesting projects and a supportive, productive technical environment, they saw no reason to work at any other company. The people in my group believed in working on interesting projects and delivering flawless end results.
Great People, working through growing pains
The people at Ball are great. The company is growing very rapidly. Their plan for all of their hires is not always coherent. I left the company because there wasn't enough work to keep me busy despite being told that there was so much work that the current staff couldn't keep up. I felt lied to during the hiring process.
Great people to work with
I was an intern at Ball Aerospace. My supervisor was awesome, and my mentors really cared about my success and experience while interning. The internship program is one of the best organized programs I have experienced.
Refuse to hire permanent people to save money.
I've never worked for a company that forces contract workers to stay for over 3 years before being offered a permanent role. Also never worked for a company that forces people to work 48 hours straight but pays them for 33. That's Ball in a nutshell, they treat their workforce like garbage that's why everyone quits. We were forced into a 4 on 4 off schedule which sounds great right? Nope, because you get paid 33 hours a week because they don't adjust the pay week for you. They screw every single person there out of countless OT pay. When confronted they terminate you. They tell you it evens out but it doesn't. You don't take a lunch to get as close to 40 hours and they say it's timecard fraud and fire you. Only good part about the job was my coworkers that's it. My manager came in and within a few months fired everyone that actually worked and kept on the lazy workers she liked. Stay away!
Great company to work for
Great benefits and work-life balance. Seems like they genuinely care about their employees. More silly politics and artificial barriers than I have experienced in past jobs. Interesting and rewarding projects. Overall has been a very positive experience though.
Pros
Pension and generous initial leave accrual.
Cons
Corporate vs. remote branch politics.
Zero Work Life Balance
Massively Understaffed for years and not uncommon to work hundreds of hours of overtime per year. Facilities Management continually makes poor decisions and has no problem telling the whole team their hours are going to change and if they don’t like it they can leave. Communication and Moral has tanked since 2017.
Sigh... I should have known better
My original thinking was "Ball Aero was my dream job". I graduated from a nearby University and always wanted to work for Ball.
I have worked in the Commercial and Defense industries for a number of years. I have had good and bad experiences in various companies. However, I have never had one where the management, either my direct report or the group manager, was almost non-existent. I had 2 different direct reports when I started. The 1st I saw the second day I was at the company and then never saw again except in passing in the hallway. The 2nd I never saw. I knew who he was from the org chart, but he never bothered to come talk to me or find out what I was doing. And he was never at his desk.

There are some great people at Ball and, of course, some not so great. I found the culture friendly and open.

The business atmosphere is, for the most part, DoD driven with plenty of classified programs. However, if you are looking for innovation and creativity, this is not the place for you. A newer, commercial telecomm type company is more likely a better idea.

Fresh outs probably do ok, as long as they are one of the chosen. Otherwise, go somewhere else.
Pros
Good pay, sort of ok benefits, fun location (at least to me)
Cons
Apethetic management, relocation plan, lack of direction
Rewarding company to be employed
Best company throughout my career. Typical procurement with procedural and governmental regulations. Management is top tier, Learning regulations and requirements is challenging. Working with teammates with similar work experience is rewarding.
Out of state leadership had its challenges
It was hard to work and stay in tune with the pulse of the leadership when that leadership was operating in an out of state location. At time it felt like the local office was not of the same importance as the corporate facilities.
Survived a 12 week Internship with no feedack, no work, and no interaction with a manager evaluating my performance
After a 12 week internship with zero interaction with a manager, no work, no meaningful feedback I'm happy to say it ended. After waiting a year to get over how useless my internship was, I decided to share my experience.

A typical day at work was spent whiling away the hours (which you actually have to document). I learned nothing, and found the hardest part of the job to be there. I had one project related to my skill set, which was actually more applicable to a data entry specialist instead of a master's student.

I found the managers to hold many secrets while some employees actually put up roadblocks and actively attempted to deceive fellow employees. To make matters worse, the company continually bombarded impressionable interns with messages of a positive grassroots culture which couldn't be farther from the reality: a stagnant hierarchical company with managers all having been at the company for 10+ years. This silo approach led to many issues which frankly make working at the company oppressive.

The company did little to nothing to empower workers to train them with meaningful skills, and is technologically behind other corporations by > 5 years. The work load is EXTREMELY easy, which is great if you're running a small business from your desk but terrible if you have a shred of ambition. The most difficult thing is waiting for the documents to be transferred over the IT infrastructure. Additionally, the company advertises fair compensation but is significantly behind other defense contractors which are in more affordable areas.
productive and fun
Great place to work, good team work, work to get the job complete no matter what time it took, the culture is business professional but also enjoyable
Great Benefits
Outstanding company to work for! Through no fault of their own, however, the local venue they've contracted with leaves a great deal to be desired. Would not waste a moments hesitation to work for them again, albeit at a different location.
Tight knit group of colleagues doing great things
Working at Ball was an extraordinary opportunity and experience for me. There are a lot of really good and incredibly smart folks on your team and they do some amazing things. Opportunity for growth and advancement is good to excellent.
Pros
Competitive salaries, competitive benefits, good colleagues
Cons
Rotating shifts, management not always on par, stressful
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ball Aerospace. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
3.4Personal Development
2.9Career Opportunities
2.8Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight