Ballard Designs Employee Reviews

Great job and atmosphere. They hire really grounded people and create such a welcoming environment.
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Natick, MAJune 19, 2019
I enjoyed working everyday because all my coworkers were fun. it is a slow paced job, meaning some days you wont have a lot of guest interaction for almost 3 hrs. you have to be alright with standing and kinda being bored some days. but if you want a lowkey job and get paid a good amount and work with awesome people, also learn new skills and gain experiences this is the place to go.
Pros
Flexible hours. Good people. Pay
Cons
Gets boring
Enjoyable place to work!
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Garden City, NYApril 10, 2019
It’s been a pleasure working for such an amazing company. I have worked amongst many corporate teams at store levels and haven’t felt appreciated amongst them. With this company I feel appreciated and seen.
Pros
Coffee, occasional snacks
Cons
Cakes and snacks
Keep Looking
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  UnecessaryApril 7, 2019
The comany is still targeting a demograpich from the early 1900's and will not gain market strength until it learns to capitalize on a newer generation of consumer. Upper management is in turmoil.
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 21, 2019
Working at Ballard was fun and relatively simple. The manager and co-workers were friendly and were always willing to help if needed. I would definitely recommend working there.
Pros
Friendly work environment
Lacking in Management
Design Consultant (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 28, 2019
Management does not set a standard, educate the staff or hold staff accountable for anything besides a monthly sales number. They are un-motivating and take advantage of their staff, even putting in breaks that are not taken so they are not questioned by HR.
A good work out
Crew (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 24, 2018
I liked the job for the workout. It was a decent place to work.I learned how to do a few new things from my leads. They also had free lunch, and it was something new every time. That was a nice touch.
Great learning environment, designed based.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 19, 2018
Ballard has been my one and only job experience that is interior design based retail. I enjoyed working with clientele and sales. There I used my school knowledge of interior design to help customers meet there required design requirements and helped them love their space.
Pros
Charity sponsored events, lunch-in for meeting monthly goals, and overall a wonderful team
Cons
Great coworkers but everything was bad
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 6, 2018
The Hr manager was horrible to work for. the receiving manager and store manager were great to work for. It was an underpaid part time position that need to have more hours allotted for it.
Great Place to Work Part-Time!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 25, 2018
Excellent group of co-workers to work with! The store closes everyday at 6pm, so no night shifts! There are no benefits because everyone is part-time.
Pros
Time Off, and no night shifts
Cons
Pay and lack of help
Toxic work environment, poor management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 7, 2018
Management has no leadership skills. This company hired people to run a high-end furniture store with no experience in furniture. Instead of handling situations with a troubling employee, they would punish everyone. They treated employees like children and these individuals were professionals who had worked in corporate setting for years. These managers did not even acknowledge employees when they came to work. They upheld the design department over the sales team instead of creating a harmonious partnership. They cut hours, some people would have five hours on the schedule. They did not give schedules until two days before the start of the week, but expected you to give two week notice to take time off and did not approve it until days before-if that. Management failed to realize in order to make the numbers they are responsible for, they have to take care of their employees; especially when you have good, loyal people. Unfortunately, there were issues of discrimination. One manager consistently profiled guest who did not look like her when they came into the studio. She also pretended she could never understand what guest (from cultures different from hers) where saying when they were talking to her. Bottom line, if you have professional back ground and looking for a part-time job to have a little extra money, stay away. You nor your skills will not be appreciated. If you are just trying to gain experience, untrustworthy, rude and manipulative, they will love you at the Charlotte, NC location-this is the job for you.
Cons
poor management, bonus, scheduling, toxic work enviornment.
Great place to work. Poor management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Roswell, GAJune 16, 2018
I really enjoyed working here but the management was rude and really looked down on you. Don’t suggest anyone to work here if you are under 30. They look down on younger workers.
Pros
Fun experiences
Cons
Enjoyable place to work with limited upward mobility
Stock Associate (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 30, 2018
A lot of great people working there. Hours are flexible, management has been flexible, and the job is not terribly difficult, with some days that are fast-paced and others that are very laid back. It's an overall great place to work for someone with little time commitment / seeking a casual job.
Pros
Great management, good colleagues, easy work
Cons
Limited upward mobility
Great people to work with but lack of communication between managers and corporate
Sales Consultant/Design (Former Employee) –  Natick, MAMarch 19, 2018
need more samples of carpets swatches of colorways, ever floor set should have a different sofa or table so the guest can see the different assortments. Need to have different samples of wood and color. better fabric assortment.
too many accessories that are not right for the guest in our location they never were sold and sat on shelves from season to season.
Great people to work with, management was flexible to work with however lack of communication sometimes. Main message was not always communicated.
Pros
great people
Cons
did not have samples or swatches of fabric, carpet, wood to show guest
Wonderful
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Natick, MAJanuary 6, 2018
I absolutely LOVE the environment created here. Everyone works so well together and is always there to help you out. Management treats you like an equal person rather than someone below them. It's such a friendly and calm working place, I was so sad when I had to leave.
Great freelance experience
Freelance Prop Styling Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 12, 2017
I only did freelance work for Ballard in the Styling department and it was a wonderful experience. Great fun, hard work and good company.Would love to work with them again.
Pros
Lunches, good people, great learning experience, flexible
Cons
Not stable work, travel, freelance
Ballard Designs
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 24, 2017
I enjoyed working for Ballard. They didn't always give me a lot of hours and sometimes they would cut my hours due to the lack of foot traffic in the store. They have some very nice furniture pieces and the show room was recently renovated and looked beautiful. People were friendly for the most part. I did not have a lot of complaints.
Fun and flexible environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Roswell, GASeptember 7, 2017
Design and architecture are my passions, so Ballard Design is an awesome environment for me. We work hard, and some days are crazy and intense from a customer standpoint, but I love it. I am an absolute people person, so the intensity and number of customers, bode well with my personality and skill set. Management is great, we laugh all the time and they are flexible and understanding to employees personal needs and requests. I would recommend Ballards to anyone if they are willing to work hard, enjoy design and the product itself, and want managers who are flexible, understanding and love to laugh. No one takes them self too seriously.
Pros
Product Discount
Cons
Low wage typical of retail
Good please to work for
Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 9, 2017
I will allways go back if i have to. Good people, great communications and friendly. Great and know for their products. Alwawys looking out for their people.
I enjoyed the work I did while there
Visual Merchandiser & Sales Floor Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Roswell, GAMay 30, 2017
During the time at Ballard Designs, I was able to be very creative and embrace many facets of my daily duties. While there I enjoyed my co-workers, training and celebrations.
Pros
Career opportunities for advancement
Cons
Lack of consitency
team-focused and supportive environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAApril 7, 2017
Overall, as a team we are close knit and more then happy to help each other. We all do our best to work with the customers and make sure they are happy and have a good experience. The management staff are all very understanding and knowledgeable when it comes to the products. I feel comfortable going to them when I need help or have questions/concerns from customers that I don't have an answer for.
Pros
team-focused, supportive, good environment, full-time benefits, adequate breaks, loyal customers
Cons
complex point of sale system, inconsistent hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ballard Designs. Our community is ready to answer.