Ballard Spahr LLP Employee Reviews

Ended with a great mentor/partner
Attorney (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 25, 2018
Learned more in 6 months than I had in several years from the last partner I worked with. Okay work environment. Preferred to avoid the majority of the partners. Never really had any interaction with the other associates.
Pros
Compensation, working with one particular partner
Cons
Working with a couple of the other partners, no real work culture
Laid Back Company
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 16, 2018
Office Manager is straight forward and a delight to work with. Company is laid back with a few sub tenants that come and go over time. Admin supports all office tenants.
Plenty of Lifers
Senior Project Manager/PMO Leader (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 18, 2018
It is a company that hires people and holds on to them for years. This is good in some cases, but in other cases, they have management that is less than effective.
Pros
Longevity, Benefits
Cons
Benefits, work life balance
Ballard is ok
Accounting/Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 2, 2018
Typical work is like any other,management how ever needs training on how to manage staff appropriately. very stressful environment, diminishes the quality of life if you have a family.
Office was neat and clean, people were caring and understanding
Records Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 9, 2018
Records department was separate from the main offices which I felt was very beneficial to the department, in that it made it much better for control of all files. Also kept the office clutter to a minimum when boxing and shipping files for storage or receiving files from storage. It was set up well. People were great to work with and for.
Great Job
Records Clerk (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 30, 2018
I enjoyed the professional environment with every aspect of the job. The work flow was consistent and I was able to learn new skills that would further my ability in other departments.
Pros
Great Co-workers Great environment great atmosphere.
Cons
Outsourced
Management Lacks Foresight
Attorney, Litigation (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 11, 2018
Management lacks foresight and marketing ability. Despite trying to grow the firm, management lacked any desire to implement measures to market the firm in the local market.
Pros
Great associates to work with
Cons
Management is inaccessible and lacks foresight to grow firm.
Ballard Spahr Rocks
Evening Document Specialist/Word Processor (Former Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 28, 2017
I loved working at this place minus some bad employees that came and went. They are very fair. If a new attorney who doesn't know what they are doing blames you, the higher up attorneys figure it out.
Stressful
ACCOUNTS PAYABLE SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 20, 2017
The finance department experienced an overwhelming workload. We didn't have enough people to work comfortably and the overtime hours were insane. We were not allowed to listen to music to make our work easier to deal with and responsibly was not evenly distributed. We had to beg for help and received multiple temporary employees months later that in the long term still burdened the full-time employees because temps are not allowed to see all accounts. The AP department were separated because the manager didn't not ever along with everyone so there was always tension. The money was decent but I would not recommend working there if you care about your sanity.
Pros
free meals
Cons
mandatory overtime, stressful enviornment
At one point in times working there was great
Litigation Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 18, 2017
While working with this firm I learned many different programs which enhanced my value to them. The enjoyable part of this job was meeting different people.
Extremely fast paced and stressful environment
OPERATIONS INTERN (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 24, 2017
The environment was extremely fast paced and stressful. Individuals were only recognized when an employer made a mistake. Management skills should be improved.
Pros
Wonderful people
Great place to work; fast paced work but very friendly attorneys and staff so it was easy to "get the jobs done".
Legal Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 17, 2017
I worked for 4 attorneys at all times while employed at Ballard Spahr. My attorneys were all busy but their work always was completed within the time frame specified. With each deal I worked on, I made it a point to learn about the clients I was dealing with and the purpose of their engaging in a specific deal. I had a wonderful relationship with all our clients and was as helpful as I could be in answering their questions. In some instances, they never had to speak with my attorneys since I readily had answers for them that did not require an attorney response. The LAAs (legal administrative assistants) were set up in teams at Ballard so that you could call upon a team member if you were really in a bind, which worked out very well. The administration at Ballard was exceptional since they really cared about the employees, both LAAs and staff and were always willing to help if need be. The hardest part of the job for ME was the travel to and from Center City, Philadelphia, which put me in transit three hours a day. The most enjoyable part of my job was working for my attorneys and working along with all of my team members.
Pros
Health benefits were exceptional, discounts for various attractions, get togethers for everyone on certain occasions, Halloween, Christmas, football and baseball triumphs, etc.
Cons
None that I can think of.
eDiscovery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 24, 2017
Ballard is a great company to work for. The work environment is good. The people there are great to work with and work for. The work is very productive.
Great benefits for a staff environment,
Database and CRM Administrator (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 11, 2017
This is a great working environment. Very collaborative, all staff members within the Marketing Department are willing to help one another. The benefits are exceptional, a new employee starts with 20 days off plus holidays.
Pros
collaborative environment
Cons
reluctance to change from current procedures.
Fast Paced Office with Great Attorneys
Legal Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 19, 2017
Good place to work. There are a lot of attorneys with different work styles. The firm practices many different areas of law and if you get on with a good team you will definitely be there a long time.
Pros
Great atmosphere.
Cons
Do not be late.
Great People
Risk Management Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 13, 2017
I worked in various positions at Ballard over the course of 25 years. First as a legal secretary and then paralegal. I personally was able to advance here but some do not.
Great Philadelphia Law Firm
Conflicts & Business Intake Analyst (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 4, 2017
This is a big Philadelphia law firm where people work hard and are deadline driven to meet the needs of the firm. Most people I have encountered are professional and appreciate your hard work and getting the job done right and on-time. My only complaint is sometimes the noise level makes it difficult to concentrate or if you have to speak on the phone. The open floor plan looks nice but does not always lead to a beneficial working environment.
Pros
Preofessional hard-working people
Cons
Noise levels
Fast paced atmosphere
Legal Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MD 20814May 10, 2017
This was a fast-paced, hectic, often stressful atmosphere that was offset by the wonderful, caring employees who worked here. The atmosphere among the employees were very team oriented but the management within the Bethesda branch office could be challenging.
Pros
Wonderful people and firm management and technology were great.
Cons
The management style within the Bethesda office was sometimes challenging.
Great place to work. I am retiring from there.
Receptionist/LAA (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 30, 2017
I am good at whatever I do. Love working with good people.
I am retiring and looking for something else to do. Not ready to not work. Been here a long time and just want to try something else.
Pros
Great people
Learning opportunities
Associate (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 21, 2017
There were opportunities to learn from many senior attorneys. I was not pigeon holed into a particular group. There were also opportunities to learn on Pro Bono Assignments.