Baltimore County, MD Employee Reviews

Challenging but rewarding experience with young people
Current position - English Teacher Grades 9-12 (Former Employee) –  Baltimore County, MDMarch 24, 2019
Teaching in Baltimore County for the past 15 years has been challenging and rewarding. Working with teenagers gives work meaning and purpose because it is helping young people to grow into healthy and motivated individuals. The changing youth culture has always been the most difficult part of the job for me, both emotionally and professionally, mostly because I care about them, and often need to work double time to get through or to see results. My favorite part of the job has been working with individual students, and seeing them take ownership of their learning, despite their many distractions in their lives.
BCPS provides me with all necessary training and support to achieve my professional goals and to meet their rigorous standards of excellence. I am proud to have worked for this employer and proud to have made a difference in so many of the lives of my students over the years.
Pros
professional support and training; excellent pay and benefits
Cons
large class sizes; too much standardized testing
N/a
MA (Current Employee) –  towson, MARYLANDFebruary 27, 2019
The government offers good benefits to all employees including paid time off. Depending on where you work, a work from home or telecommute option may be available.
Great experience
Clerical Aide (Former Employee) –  Reisterstown, MDFebruary 25, 2019
Great environment to work in, worked with various of people of all nationalities. Co workers were very polite and always busy. Sometimes the place could be very crowded.
Pros
Good experience
Cons
short staff
Excellent Work Environment
Maryland (Former Employee) –  MarylandDecember 26, 2018
Baltimore County provides a professional and low-to-moderate stress work environment with good promotion opportunities. Pay for professional positions is low by work week is 34 hours with good benefits.
Pros
good work environment and benefits
Cons
lower pay than others
Very much like high school
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDDecember 19, 2018
Employees vary widely but many act like they're still in high school (very "clique-y", gossiping, juvenile behavior, etc). More tenured employees almost always dislike the newer hires.
Management is hit or miss, some are great while others are terrible. Upper management doesn't care about the employees.
Work environment is stressful and very fast-paced. Classroom training is pretty rigorous, on-the-floor training is very structured but it is also sub par (my trainer refused to answer a lot of my questions and when I asked for new trainer, I was told no).
Time off requests are handled terribly (your entire shift chooses days while you're working on the floor, and its first come, first served), expect to have for swap with someone else because you almost never get the day you need/want.
Pros
Union represented, continuing education, helping the public, some good people, lots of pot luck events
Cons
12 hour shifts, inadequate break periods for the job duties, too many immature employees, time off lottery
Better than other local gov't
Communications Specialist (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDDecember 12, 2018
Pay is meh. Benefits are still outstanding.

Leadership is better than surrounding counties.Pension vests after 10 years. With 5% guaranteed interest, there is no reason not to opt in.
Pros
Benefits, No long hours, job security
Cons
pay
fun
Senior Business System Analyst (Former Employee) –  MDNovember 4, 2018
it was a pleasure working there. Sometimes people have to make a very tough decision in their life and i did. I always looking for the best working place
Great Flexible Work
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 24, 2018
I worked as a substitute teacher in Baltimore County. It was an excellent, flexible job. I'd recommend it to anyone with a second job at night as the pay comes out to four hundred per week before taxes, but I'd also recommend it to anyone who needs flexible work and a good way getting their foot in the door with a solid educational system.
Pros
Flexibility, Work environment
Cons
Lower Pay rate than counties closer to DC
I enjoyed my job very much and would loved to have advanced, my learning skills.
Data Entry, Filing, Printing, and Scanning (Former Employee) –  700 East Joppa Road Baltimore Co. 21286September 27, 2018
I recieved an Excellent letter of recommendation,
from the Director, who said although I was a temporary employee, performed my job, as well their regular employees. I Loved my Job, and if my assignment had not ended, I would loved to have been an employee right down to this day.
Pros
Working night shift you really don't need to eat that late at night.
Cons
The work environment was comfortable.
Great police force
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDSeptember 18, 2018
One of top police forces in country. You are paid while attending 6 month accademy. You are trained, disciplined, very well in regards to laws, driving, shooting, self defense. Academy is stressful, but 6 months.
Pros
Free coffee, court overtime
Cons
Homicide may have you working 48 hours straight. Naps, showers, eating obviously
stressful job
911 Call Taker (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDSeptember 11, 2018
911 call taker is a job developed for a certain skill level and I applaud the people who can master it. I developed some great workmates
and received great advice on learning the job. Unfortunately I could not type fast enough to get the required information to the dispatcher
Pros
benifits
Cons
stressful
Baltimore County government is a great place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 1, 2018
I worked for Baltimore County government for 5 years and loved it. We had to move out of the area which was why I had to quit. The people I worked with were great and there was a chance for advancement.
Pros
Monday to Friday workweek, paid holidays, great benefits
Cons
Advancement depends on who retires or if you transfer to another department
Awesome place to work where you connect to the public
Administrator/Intake Specialist (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDJune 15, 2018
Baltimore County is an awesome place to work if you're into public health. The diversity of the company proves to be both fun and exiting. Paid Holidays and a good benefit package is a plus.
Pros
meet good people
Cons
no room for advancement
Stressful but rewarding job.
Fire Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Towson, MD 21204June 4, 2018
Stressful but rewarding job. Answering 911 calls and dispatching emergency equipment is very educational in terms of public safety. Also can be both rewarding and stressful. No staff cohesion.
Understaffed, Underpaid, Overworked
Unfriendly employees
Poor training
Weekends off
One early day a week
Opportunity to take classes for free
workplace culture
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDMay 20, 2018
I had a great experience working with Balto. county gov Meeting
nice workers and the public everyday was enjoyable working there
set me up for other positions
Not supportive to teachers.
SUBSTITUTE TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Catonsville, MDMay 15, 2018
Taught 4 different classes. Two grades and four preps daily. Little support from principal who created the job for me after substitute teaching for five years at Catonsville Middle. Principal used inappropriate language and did not promote collaborative relationship among faculty.
Pros
Engaged students and parent, good curriculum, equipment suitable
Cons
Long hours due to 4 daily peps, lack of support, pricipal disliked by community
I didn't work at a real company
Peer Tutor (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 3, 2018
While tutoring I learned even more information than i previously knew, as I didn't work at place associated with the government or corporate my schedule was lenient, the hardest part was constantly reviewing information, and the most enjoyable was actually being able to teach people.
Former baltimore county 911 technician
911 Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDApril 11, 2018
When I first started out it was ok but overtime it grew to be too much, for one during training if you was a minute late you got called into the office and disciplined. You wasnt allowed to have a life at all, this job is your life regardless if you have kids and a family, The pay and benefits were good but that's about it.
Pros
Pay and Benefits
Cons
Schedules, atmosphere, petty people
job
Housing Associate II/Asset Manager (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDApril 4, 2018
It is a good job and works well for me. Some things could be changed but it is a good standard job for the county. Good pay and everything else. Raises happen pretty frequently.