Baltimore County, MD Employee Reviews

I didn't work at a real company
Peer Tutor (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 3, 2018
While tutoring I learned even more information than i previously knew, as I didn't work at place associated with the government or corporate my schedule was lenient, the hardest part was constantly reviewing information, and the most enjoyable was actually being able to teach people.
The county is run very poorly.
Accountant III (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDNovember 15, 2017
They don't care about attracting the best and brightest. They don't want to pay market rate. Their work practices are antiquated and take too long to help the end user.
Management will not fight to get you fairly compensated. If you are motivated and work hard they don't recognize your work or provide positive feedback. You are expected to do the work of others when they leave and then they drag their feet or decide not to hire a replacement.
Overall Horrible
Telecommunications Operator (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDAugust 14, 2017
I have never worked in a more unprofessional environment the management is poor and childish they will pull you aside for every possible mistake, they do not think humans can make mistakes. Not only does management make you feel terrible about yourself the other employees around you do as well. Everyone knows everything that happens because some management is friends with other employees and will tell them what someone did/didnt do. The employees that work "upstairs" are condenscending and watch your every move. Working in this 911 center is like working in a zoo and you are the animal. If you want to work somewhere where you are respected and valued as an employee this is NOT the place to work. Once you start here you are treated like nothing more than dirt.
Benefits
Cons
Everything else
High standards
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Baltimore County Md.August 8, 2017
The most enjoyable part of this job is teaching children Spanish introducing them to new cultures. There are several extracurricular activities available. The hardest part of the job is the paperwork overload.
Pros
Introduce students to other cultures.
Cons
Not enough time for grading papers, making lesson plans, times available to contact parents.
Stressful job with great pay
911 Telecommunicator (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDOctober 27, 2016
I wanted to love this job, I wanted to plan a career around it but I quickly realized that was not going to happen here. I came in to the job extremely excited especially since the hiring process took months (literally). They immediately put you on all types of training to get all of your certifications for police, fire, and medical dispatching as well as first aid. Training was a little over a month or two. I had no problems with training however I do not think it was long enough. They obviously knew how low staffed they were so it seemed like they were rushing people through training to get them onto the floor as quickly as possible.

Once you're actually on the floor you're then sitting with an individual trainer for a few months who listens to your calls and makes suggestions, etc.

My main problem with this job were the hours. 12hr shifts are huge. And while yes you get more days off, they don't account for the 24/36 hours you worked in 3 or 2 days back to back. Waking up to be to work by 7am or 7pm and just knowing you're not going to be getting off until an entire 12hrs later immediately burns you out. You would think that out of those 12hrs you would get and extended lunch and break, nope not here. I tried to stick it out as long as I could but eventually it got to the point where it was affecting me mentally and physically. I understand there's an amount of stress that comes with any job but the hours on top of the types of calls you take you immediately begin to question whether or not working here is worth it.

The benefits and pay are great, excellent rather.
  more... But if I have to give up my sanity to earn it, they can keep it. Additionally, the employees were all nice and supportive.

This job needs to be revamped to make it more of a place where people actually want to stay and come to work. Before I left they must've hired at least 60 people and I have a feeling they're hiring only because they know a large number of them will quit, so they're hoping that they can get a good 10-20 people who will stick it out. Out of the 8 people in my immediate class 4 of them (including myself) have already quit. At what point do you look at what you're doing as a company and think what can you do differently?
Pros
Excellent salary, benefits, nice employees and managers, overtime at your leisure
Cons
Rushed training process, long hours, short lunches and breaks, stand by days (mandatory overtime)
Overworked stressful but expect for type of jin
Emergency communications tech (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDAugust 9, 2016
Working for Baltimore county was supposed to be a great job opportunity but learned fast that it is not the case overworked , they took away vacation pay so when you work holidays you do not get paid any extra people quit like crazy you can't get any time off , managers are clueless and don't even think about posting to another area of Baltimore county they will not grant a transfer . You get treated like you are 5 years old every day they come with a new policy of things you can't do and always make you feel bad about yourself if you make a mistake . No family time as you have to work weekend and on your days off you have to sign up to work and if you don't come in when called you could be terminated
Pros
Vacation time if allowed to use it and other benefits good
Cons
No breaks no family life can't transfer to other jobs
Awful Overall
Emergency Communications Technician Trainee (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDJuly 20, 2016
2 year probation is the longest I've ever heard. Management doesn't know to treat employees, very condescending. Brought out the worst qualities. Training wasn't realistic to what you actually experience on the job. Penalizations occur for every mistake made and every time you call out sick. Not allowed to be human at any point in time, which is hard with such a long probation period, they can fire you for anything they want or find wrong with you.
Pros
Benefits, compensation
Cons
Everything else imaginable
Would not recommend this as a place to work
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 22, 2016
The benefits are good. That's about all I can say that is positive. Management is not supportive. There is no room for advancement and they don't hire from within to higher positions. Good people go and bad people stay.
Benefits
Cons
Lack of support with management, no ability to advance
Ok
police dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDDecember 28, 2015
The job is great, the expectations and the management are very poor. You will have no home life with the new 12 hr shifts coming into play in 2016.
Systemic ineptitude and incompetence
maintenance (Current Employee) –  Baltimore County, MDNovember 24, 2015
Do yourself a favor !!!

If you are considering accepting a position with Baltimore County be sure to research the department you will be representing. Trust me, I speak from experience and completely regret my decision to become a member of a particular public sector agency.

The Facilities department has been a toxic environment plagued by constant turnover during the past few years. The "new regime" lacks the ability to convey departmental objectives and remains to be completely ineffective. Supervisors are encouraged to micro-manage hourly employees to the point of harassment on a daily basis.

I've had numerous conversations with long term / seasoned employees during my tenure and all initial responses include the following " worst lead group within the county "
Pros
Rate of pay and benefits
Cons
Poor treatrment of staff, lack of leadership, extremely chaotic working environment.
Productive day of arresting wanted individuals
Detective - WATF (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDOctober 25, 2015
Arresting individuals with the least amount of resistance from defendants, families and the public. Everyone remains safe and a job is well done.
Pros
Working with the tean
Cons
Dealing with Central Booking in Baltimore City
A productive establishment
Floor Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 3, 2015
It is a good job I would go in and complete the daily task at hand. The people there are excellent. The hardest part of the job would be loading the vans. The most enjoyable part is the whole job I enjoy doing the work that I do.