Baltimore County Public Schools Employee Reviews

Large caseloads with little support
Speech Language Pathologist (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDDecember 7, 2018
Overall its a good place to work. Caseloads are big with and not your typical general education setting. Kids need a lot more than just speech or language therapy. Many come with other mental health issues that complicate their school day.
Health benefits are amazing and are well worth the craziness of a school day.
Having the time off with family is also very valuable.
Challenging environment
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Towson, MD 21204October 25, 2018
Upon entering most Baltimore County schools you are greeting with a smile at the front office desk and cacophonic childish enthusiasm. Many students look forward to working with a substitute teacher. Providing assistance that enables students to understand concepts is fulfilling.
Pros
A new experience everyday
Cons
A new experience everyday
Working with LTYC
Leaders of Tomorrow Youth Center (Former Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDDecember 14, 2018
I worked in the city and county schools under the contract with LTYC and I enjoyed every experience I had with the company however the hardest part of this job was traveling to some of the school locations on short notice and covering specialized subjects with and without some experience if the teacher did not have a lesson plan.
Sparrows Point High School
Academic Adult Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edgemere, MDAugust 29, 2018
I loved the environment in this school. It was a great school to work in because the teachers and staff were all really nice and easy to get along with. The kids were good kids for the most part and were handled appropriately when not. This position was fulfilling as you made a difference in a child's life.However, my position did not have any benefits and the pay is minimum wage.
Mentally tedious, very secure
Special Needs Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Reisterstown, MDAugust 9, 2018
BCPS Transportation is excellent for those geared towards working with children and have a large heart and alot of patience. Management does the best they can, but are often very overburdened. !Only employed 9/12 months a year as a bus driver/attendant!. Understaffed, so some situations where special needs are mixed with badly behaved children, which isnt ideal. 6am-5pm, with a 2 hour break in the middle of the day, so 8 hours pay but 10-12 hour long day.
Pros
Excellent hours if you have children/mid day errands
Cons
9/12 month employment
Overall rating 5 stars, hands down
School Librarian/Media Specialist (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDJuly 26, 2018
Awesome Job Work/Life Balance; Compensation/Benefits; Job Security/Advancement; Management and Job Culture. Baltimore County Public Schools is among the highest performing school systems in the nation as a result of creating, sustaining, and investing in excellence for every student, every school, and every community. BCPS provides, for every student, the highest quality, 21st century education in a safe, secure, and positive environment conducive to high levels of teaching, learning, and student engagement, resulting in globally competitive students prepared for their chosen college and/or career path.
Like my job duties, but the children are out of control!
Lunch Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  Parkville, MDSeptember 13, 2018
The job duties are good, but the environment was terrible.
I learned to keep my mouth shut.
The hardest part of the job is how disrespectful the children are and nothing is done about it.
The most enjoyable part of the job was helping the children who really needed help and wasn't so sassy.
Working for BCPS gives me double satisfaction.
Personal Assistant (Current Employee) –  MarylandJuly 21, 2018
Working for BCPS not only gives me the satisfaction of assisting students with their needs, collaborate with teachers, and be part of the enthusiasm in a school day, but to have the same schedule as my children. This advantage makes up the difference for the low income and lack of benefits of the Personal Assistant position.
Pros
Summer and holidays off, flexibility, Supportive staff.
Cons
No benefits, low income.
I love working for Baltimore county public schools. The staff at the schools that I worked at were supportive.
Additional Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baltimore county, MdAugust 6, 2018
I love being a additional assistant. I love children. I am a very patient person and I love to help children learn. Baltimore county public schools is a great school system to work for. They not only support the kids but adults as well.
Pros
I have Holidays off
Cons
I am off during the summer
Fun place to work for me
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Towson, MD 21204November 13, 2018
Assisted in cooking, diverse, management fair, the hardest part for me was the heavy lifting, most enjoyable was serving the students getting to learn their likes and dislikes
Pros
free meals, not hard work, fun place
Cons
No cons for me, Speaking for myself alone, you have to judge for yourself
Accurate description of my experience with this system
Founder/ Principal (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDJuly 23, 2018
I have served as a long term substitute teacher in both French and Spanish, for which I am a certified teacher. However, I have never been offered full-time employment. I am positive this is because of my age. I am not too old to teach for months at a time while the school system searches for a younger qualified or, in some cases, non qualified person.
Learning can be great.
Additional Adult Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 16, 2018
I enjoyed working for BCPS. Watching children learn new things is very rewarding. I find that small group settings work very well for many children and I was happy to be able to be a part of that learning environment. The hardest part of this job was the overall lack of discipline guidelines set forth by BCPS.
Great Place To Work
Fiscal Analyst III - Title 1 Grant Compliance (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDJune 23, 2018
Baltimore County Schools is a great place to work. I am trying to return to work at BCPS. I was allowed to work freely. My Director welcomed suggestions and provided full support. I attended compliance meetings to ensure I assisted the Principals and their staff with the correct development of the annual budget.
Pros
Benefits, Holidays, Consistent Pay raises
Cons
Hard to get a promotion
I love working with the different children I encounter and watching them grow into functional beings.
ADDITIONAL ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Baltimore County, MDJune 19, 2018
I would start with a third grader ( he had ADHD not on melds)by taking him to the gym to work out some early energy then we would go to classroom to do math and reading .i would explain in greater detail and help him with the assignments for the day until lunch then I switched with another aa for a kindergartener ( who was very autistic) I would help keep him settled in class and he would rewards for listening. We would do his assignments the go for reading or a walk blow bubbles. I would give him instructions on how to pack up at the end of the day for dismissal.
Pros
I get to be a part of the children's life and make a difference through structure and learning
Cons
Schedule may change and I am switched to other children while doing good in progress.
Every position is not that bad
Adult Assistant (Current Employee) –  Parkville, MDMay 29, 2018
Everybody has problems, I get that, but everybody comes in with an attitude and they take it out on you like you woke them up on the wrong side of the bed. I'm not happy with management because the only ones who get results are people who are the administrations buddies. The people who work the hardest (the teachers and people who deal with students directly) are never rewarded but the people who see kids randomly are the ones who are praised and are rewarded.
Pros
If you become full time, the benefits are really good
Cons
Everything else.
Poor administration
Para Educator/Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 26, 2018
I don't know what to write for this review. The administration at most of the schools I worked in did a very poor job for both the teachers and the students. The teachers all did their best with the situation but it could be improved.
Working with autistic children is very rewarding.
Maryland (Former Employee) –  MarylandDecember 11, 2018
The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the positive impact on a daily basis you make with each individual student. And working with the support staff was an invaluable experience.
Very challenging...
Spanish Teacher (Current Employee) –  Reisterstown, MDOctober 30, 2018
Students have changed over the 15 years that I have been teaching. Cell phones have ruined the classroom culture and this school system is struggling to figure out a solution. Other teachers feel stressed as well.
Great school system
Infants and Toddlers Representative (Current Employee) –  Dundalk, MDNovember 3, 2018
Job security is great. Wonderful co workers and supervisors. Respects family/personal needs. Fair wages with steady cola. Union available. Locations available all over Baltimore county.
very good
Building Service Worker (Former Employee) –  MarylandOctober 18, 2018
I went to work every day did my job. I clean Bathroom and office classroom vacuum rug sweep floor and talk teachers and principle and was happy I have a lot to do.
Pros
I bring my lunch everyday
Cons
I have 15 min break 2 times