Baltimore County Public Schools Employee Reviews

great
Office Secretary (Current Employee) –  Randallstown, MDSeptember 28, 2018
I love working with Baltimore County Public Schools. Great benefits and Great work atmosphere. Working for this company over 14 years and still love it.
Like my job duties, but the children are out of control!
Lunch Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  Parkville, MDSeptember 13, 2018
The job duties are good, but the environment was terrible.
I learned to keep my mouth shut.
The hardest part of the job is how disrespectful the children are and nothing is done about it.
The most enjoyable part of the job was helping the children who really needed help and wasn't so sassy.
Good School District
Library Media Specialist & Technology Liaison (Former Employee) –  White Marsh, MDSeptember 6, 2018
The school climate and atmosphere is very different depending on where you are in the county. For the most part the administration is very supportive and helpful.
I am part-time
Substitute school nurse (Current Employee) –  Baltimore County, MDSeptember 2, 2018
see resume
I work part-time in health suite
triage, and on-site injury and illness care.
Medication administration.
Workplace is multi cultural.
The hours are flexible for sub nurses.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Sparrows Point High School
Academic Adult Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edgemere, MDAugust 29, 2018
I loved the environment in this school. It was a great school to work in because the teachers and staff were all really nice and easy to get along with. The kids were good kids for the most part and were handled appropriately when not. This position was fulfilling as you made a difference in a child's life.However, my position did not have any benefits and the pay is minimum wage.
Poor administration
Para Educator/Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 26, 2018
I don't know what to write for this review. The administration at most of the schools I worked in did a very poor job for both the teachers and the students. The teachers all did their best with the situation but it could be improved.
Baltimore County
Para-Educator (Current Employee) –  Baltimore mdAugust 24, 2018
I enjoyed the work environment and students. Collaborating with teachers was rewarding along with implementing lesson plans. I also enjoyed coaching students in spors.
Pros
the coworkes
Cons
Lack of hours
A Horrible County to Work for
Art Teacher (Former Employee) –  otherAugust 19, 2018
The administration is corrupt. They are horrible managers and excellent at bullying and blaming TEACHERS!! And it's BCPS who is feeding into their power.
Learning can be great.
Additional Adult Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 16, 2018
I enjoyed working for BCPS. Watching children learn new things is very rewarding. I find that small group settings work very well for many children and I was happy to be able to be a part of that learning environment. The hardest part of this job was the overall lack of discipline guidelines set forth by BCPS.
Most schools were nice to work with
Substitute teacher (Former Employee) –  All elementary schools in Baltinore CountyAugust 13, 2018
Elementary substitute teaching worked out fine for me. I discovered the schools I enjoyed and those I did not enjoy, I obtained a fufll time job working as an Engineering contractor which is why I left this position
Pros
hours
Cons
pay
personal assistant
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Riderwood ElementaryAugust 10, 2018
I was a personal assistant to a special needs student through his daily activities at the local elementary school in the community where I lived with my family. Previously I worked as a volunteer and then staff member in the cafeteria, but as a college graduate, I felt the importance of understanding the local educational system and structure to be paramount. I was eager to learn the education field.I was given the opportunity by the Vice principal for one year. I was assigned to one student for the entire school year and then was put on call the following year.
I was asked to complete tasks by the special ed instructor and her assistant as well. Making copies during classroom time of the syllabus, general assignments and other school related media. I also handed out copies, escorted the class from their primary special ed classroom to their lunch, gym and other outdoor activities.
and her assistant, it was not always possible.
Pros
I enjoyed spending time with my student, and interacting with the other students, and staff outside the Special Ed classroom, watching the children learn and succeed
Cons
conflict with the instructors iron/fist style, classroom was separated by behavior verses learning skills, 20 students ranging from grade 1-4, one room was too much, keeping order was more important than learning techniques and styles.
Mentally tedious, very secure
Special Needs Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Reisterstown, MDAugust 9, 2018
BCPS Transportation is excellent for those geared towards working with children and have a large heart and alot of patience. Management does the best they can, but are often very overburdened. !Only employed 9/12 months a year as a bus driver/attendant!. Understaffed, so some situations where special needs are mixed with badly behaved children, which isnt ideal. 6am-5pm, with a 2 hour break in the middle of the day, so 8 hours pay but 10-12 hour long day.
Pros
Excellent hours if you have children/mid day errands
Cons
9/12 month employment
I love working for Baltimore county public schools. The staff at the schools that I worked at were supportive.
Additional Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baltimore county, MdAugust 6, 2018
I love being a additional assistant. I love children. I am a very patient person and I love to help children learn. Baltimore county public schools is a great school system to work for. They not only support the kids but adults as well.
Pros
I have Holidays off
Cons
I am off during the summer
Worst company to work for
Employee (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 3, 2018
I wouldn’t recommend anyone to work for them they do not know how to treat people.They are not trustworthy people especially the office of operations physical facilities.
Cons
Supervisors
fine
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Baltimore County, MDJuly 31, 2018
Worked here for a short time. I left due to children because i worked the night shift. overall i would recommend job to others.
.........................
Overall rating 5 stars, hands down
School Librarian/Media Specialist (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDJuly 26, 2018
Awesome Job Work/Life Balance; Compensation/Benefits; Job Security/Advancement; Management and Job Culture. Baltimore County Public Schools is among the highest performing school systems in the nation as a result of creating, sustaining, and investing in excellence for every student, every school, and every community. BCPS provides, for every student, the highest quality, 21st century education in a safe, secure, and positive environment conducive to high levels of teaching, learning, and student engagement, resulting in globally competitive students prepared for their chosen college and/or career path.
Cut throat
Instrumental/General Music Teacher (Former Employee) –  Randalstown, MDJuly 25, 2018
Non supportive staff. Employees distrusted admin. Admin very weak with discipline. Not enough materials. Unsafe classroom situations.
Not much of a departmental budget.
Pros
Cons
Lack of teacher support
Accurate description of my experience with this system
Founder/ Principal (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDJuly 23, 2018
I have served as a long term substitute teacher in both French and Spanish, for which I am a certified teacher. However, I have never been offered full-time employment. I am positive this is because of my age. I am not too old to teach for months at a time while the school system searches for a younger qualified or, in some cases, non qualified person.
Working for BCPS gives me double satisfaction.
Personal Assistant (Current Employee) –  MarylandJuly 21, 2018
Working for BCPS not only gives me the satisfaction of assisting students with their needs, collaborate with teachers, and be part of the enthusiasm in a school day, but to have the same schedule as my children. This advantage makes up the difference for the low income and lack of benefits of the Personal Assistant position.
Pros
Summer and holidays off, flexibility, Supportive staff.
Cons
No benefits, low income.
Very Difficult Job
Library Media Specialist (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDJune 29, 2018
You give up your family life during the school year because you are constantly doing work for the job outside of the normal working hours. Principals are not always supportive of teachers.