Baltimore County Public Schools Employee Reviews

Great place to work!
ELEMENTARY TEACHER (Current Employee) –  Reisterstown, MDMarch 25, 2019
Amazing place to work! Hardest part of the job is the amount of work I have to do outside of school such as grading, planning, backmapping, etc. Being with the kids is the best part.
Nice school to work in on a temporary basis - substitute
Maryland (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 18, 2019
Working with Baltimore County Schools is gratifying to the extent the majority of the students are wonderful to work with. However, without parental support, the work that is done within the school day is, for the most par, not reinforced at home making our efforts as educators quite challenging.
Pros
Great students for the most part.
Cons
No breaks, no benefits, poor pay
Challenging Job
Paraeducator/Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 14, 2019
Job was very challenging at times and rewear others. Working with children can be very rewarding. Meeting great co workers is also very special. Having snow days off was fun.
Pros
Working with children
Cons
Dealing with some of the behavior
This job have it and down
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 14, 2019
Working kids his fun and driving the his fun too sometimes it can be fun and it can be strees full.
When I was working I had a aid on she was the best aid I ever had.
Pros
Get to take a break
Cons
Had a mid-day for pre school
Building Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDMarch 12, 2019
Bad Management does not play fair

they don care about if you or your children are sick

does not take certain things serious //////////////
///////////////////////////
Pros
you can move up
Cons
not a good place to work
A Challege
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 7, 2019
Children are very different today. It is a challenge for them and for the teachers especially substitute teachers. Children do not like change all the time, but given the rate of teachers' absences, it happens. Our children are hurting inside the walls of most schools and they do not know what to do with the hurt so they come to school and use it for a place to act out.

Over all most schools have the nicest staff, but a lot of the children are out of control. I just wish there was a way to bring prayer back in schools and some type of discipline.

The hardest part of the job is trying to get the children to see that you are here to help them.

The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting so many different children, being able to listen to their concerns and being able to talk with them knowing that they just need love as much as a good learning environment; someplace they can come to and feel safe.
I really liked working here
School Nurse (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 24, 2019
I enjoyed the students and teachers. I felt as if the technology was not quite up to date for school nurses. In general, it was a good experience and I learned a lot about pediatric nursing.
Outstanding educational system
Teacher/Chairperson (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 24, 2019
Terrific hours, excellent benefits, structured work environment, supportive administration. Exciting to work with high school students to help them succeed.
Benefits
Cons
State assessments
fun place to work
Cafeteria Worker (Current Employee) –  Offutt RandallstownFebruary 22, 2019
My typical day at work is performing food service production and operational tasks as assigned by my manager. Assists in the preparation of foods using standardized recipes and menus, and portion controls in accordance with work production standards. And sets up food on serving lines and/or steam tables and serves meals or meal components.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
no break, eat as you work
Ok place to work
Physical Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 11, 2019
ok some schools, but need to do homework on all locations. Supervisors are good, as well as the training. there are a lot of schools in a very large area, commuting can be lengthy.
Pros
Pay
Cons
some schools are tough
Fun workplace if you love working with kids
ASSISTANT MANAGER FOOD & NUTRITION (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDFebruary 10, 2019
Friendly environment at each school i worked at. The kids are always a joy to be around . They also teach you so much about them, just by the day to day encounters.
This part of the process is misleading and seems not to be particularly related to Procurement. Questions relative to people management are relative
Purchasing Agent - Office of Purchasing (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDFebruary 8, 2019
BCPS' Purchasing Office is an engaging learning environment which adjusts to best practices. It has developed a mission and vision in line with continued growth
Pros
Excellent yearly work schedule
Cons
The CYA mentallity often gets in the way of team work.
Gained a lot of experience
Special Educatiion (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 8, 2019
Great place to learn new skills and grow your career. Special education department is working to get better within its complaince. The admin in your building make or break the school.
Substitute Teacher
Substitute Teacher- All subjects (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 7, 2019
Administration was supportive. Having the freedom to make your own schedule was nice. You could choose which schools and locations where you want to work.
Pros
Helping Children
Cons
Varied hours
Ok place to work for a few extra dollars
MD (Former Employee) –  MDJanuary 25, 2019
My experience was not the best with BCPS. I'm not going to go into detail but surrounding counties offer better pay with less confusion and treat you equal
Pros
working with kids
Cons
admin
A good school system to work within
Maryland Certified Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Essex, MDJanuary 13, 2019
The best part of the job was teaching reading to students and the most stressful was dealing with student behavioral issues. Collaborating with teachers was another job highlight.
Working with students
Para- Educator (Current Employee) –  Baltimore County, MDJanuary 9, 2019
Working with students by making sure they stay the course and become career ready for college. Preparing students for the fall and spring assessments.
Pros
lunch
Cons
short lunch breaks
Bcps team
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 9, 2019
Stacked, Jogged, Organized, Bound and packaged papers ready to be moved to various schools throughout the county. Management was appreciative and understanding. Employees were team players
Working with LTYC
Leaders of Tomorrow Youth Center (Former Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDDecember 14, 2018
I worked in the city and county schools under the contract with LTYC and I enjoyed every experience I had with the company however the hardest part of this job was traveling to some of the school locations on short notice and covering specialized subjects with and without some experience if the teacher did not have a lesson plan.
In-between job
BCPS, Additional Adult Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pikesville, MDDecember 12, 2018
I acquired this job in order to make some money while searching for an occupational therapy position, to hone my skills in working with and helping disabled individuals (my student was quadriplegic), and to experience working in a different setting.
Pros
Great experience in working with disabled individuals
Cons
Being back in middle school!