Baltimore County Public Schools Employee Reviews

Loved it
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 11, 2018
Worked with middle and high school students. Called parents about attendance and other student problems. Worked in classrooms to help teachers. We were all like family here and loved to work together .
Rigorous Curriculum
Mentor/Volunteer, Para Educator (Current Employee) –  Baltimore County, MDMay 9, 2018
Productive and enjoyed working with the students very much so. I've learned how to modify lessons, work with other teachers and staff, diverse culture, Mentored elem, and high school students. countless volunteer hours, very involved with the community, in charge of parent volunteers.
Pros
wathching students excel
Cons
short luhch breaks
The most enjoyable part of the job
Assistant Principal (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDMay 8, 2018
The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the students, helping them make decisions, seeing the growth in them and helping them to decide on a future.
Pros
Randallstown High School
Cons
The system
The best job I've ever had
Behavior Intervention Specialist (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 6, 2018
This is a great place to work. Everyday, I get the opportunity to work and learn with and from amazing students and staff members. The days are long, the work is fast-paced and every moment presents new and unique challenges. With that being said, I love my job !
Mixed feelings but overall great
Adult Additional Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 6, 2018
They are among the greatest school systems within the country. There is not a lot of support when it comes to higher ups. In house teams are extremely collaborative and helpful.
Job satisfaction is a plus for this job.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Baltimore County, MDMay 3, 2018
The hardest part of this job is providing individual help to students. In a class of 30 or more students management then becomes a problem because of a few students who misbehave. Most enjoyable is when students befit from the teaching process. Management is a problem for substitutes unless you are there often for students to get to know you and you know them.
Pros
Some students are just a pleasure to work with.
Cons
Must be aware of students who have special needs.
Good place to advance in the trenches of teaching
Long Term Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 3, 2018
I loved working here. The pay was low but working with the children was great . The school lunch was a pro because of my low budget. I really liked the pizza. It was my first time teaching with my own kids
Pros
great kids
Cons
work-load to pay ratio
Team environment makes me feel supported
Senior Office Secretary (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 2, 2018
I'm happy to be an employee of BCPS. Each day is unique and this type of job environment appeals to me. The hours are exceptional & location is close enough to home to make that a perk. I'm surrounded by dedicated & talented people who care about each other.
Pros
Its a family friendly environment. Hours are great.
Cons
Have to clock in
Fun
Para Professional - General Education (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 26, 2018
This company was awesome!y school was hard and challenging due to the student population but well worth the experience! I would recommend Baltimore county to anyone
Pros
Challenging and rewarding
Substitute
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Baltimore County, MDApril 15, 2018
Would be easy if people would teach their kids some manners. A typical day is following the sub plans if the teacher left detailed plans. Some teachers fail to leave an attendance list, gheez!
You have to be a person that loves working with children.
Special Needs Student Aide (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 14, 2018
I didn't agree with the compensation of this job , yet that is not the reason I worked there . My reasoning was I have a passion for helping those in need, especially children with disabilities. If your in it for just the money this type of job is not for you.
Pros
the children, health insurance, dental
Cons
You dont just work 8 hours and go home you have split shifts
Secure job environment
Automotive Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Essex, MDMarch 21, 2018
Would have stayed. Life situations dictated that I needed to leave my job. Workplace was a good environment and enjoyed working for bus drivers. Very good group of people.
Pros
security
Cons
very fast paced.
I enjoyed and looked forward to going to work each day and giving 100%
Bus Aide (Former Employee) –  Baltimore County, MDMarch 20, 2018
Was sorry that I had to retire when I moved to Pennsylvania , I felt I was a asset to my bus driver and to the students who I kept safe every day. I had a great relationship with other employees and management.
Pros
Working with people of all culture
worked 5 days a week
Building Service Worker -Custodian (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 11, 2018
clocked for my shift cleaned bathrooms and classrooms,water fountains moped classrooms and bathrooms stocked bathrooms with paper towels and toilet paper when needed took breaks and had lunch time .cleaned mirrors in bathrooms.I love working with other people.if some one needed my help I would help them in any way I could empty trash cans in classrooms.took trash out to the nearest dumpster.
Hard and stressful
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDMarch 11, 2018
Driving a school bus is a very stressful job. You must deal with 100 or more different personalities per day and it is not easy. The best part of being a school bus driver is being able to help some of the kids who seem to be going off track, and you are able to talk with them and help them get back on track.
Great Atmosphere
Math Teacher (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 8, 2018
I taught at Woodlawn High School as a first year teacher. The county as well as the school were very helpful to me as a first year teacher. If I did not relocate, I would still be there.
i love it!!!
Assistant Teacher (Current Employee) –  Parkville, MDMarch 3, 2018
couldn't ask for a better place to work, but its only part time so I have no benefits and no paid vacation, if I don't go to work I don't get paid, if school is closed for weather or holiday I don't get paid
Pros
working with children
Cons
low, pay, no benifits
Bcps
CLASSROOM TEACHER (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 28, 2018
In recent years, BCPS has declined with keeping staff members safe and making their employees feel valued. Students have become increasingly disrespectful, eliminating the once positive climate.
Horrible
Adult Assistant (Current Employee) –  Johnnycake elementaryFebruary 24, 2018
Poor pay. Not organized You wait forever to get hired and have to pay 70 dollars to get finger printed and don’t even make that money back because of low Hours Do not work here
The problem is Management. Too many people hired for positions that have no experience. In the field.
GROUNDS Foreman BCPS (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 22, 2018
The last Super intendants created a lot of Supervisory jobs. So he could bring In all his friends from Virginia. And most of them had no experience. And that practice has trickled down through all of BCPS.
Pros
Decent benefits