Baltimore County Public Schools Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Most schools were nice to work with
Substitute teacher (Former Employee) –  All elementary schools in Baltinore CountyAugust 13, 2018
Elementary substitute teaching worked out fine for me. I discovered the schools I enjoyed and those I did not enjoy, I obtained a fufll time job working as an Engineering contractor which is why I left this position
Pros
hours
Cons
pay
Mentally tedious, very secure
Special Needs Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Reisterstown, MDAugust 9, 2018
BCPS Transportation is excellent for those geared towards working with children and have a large heart and alot of patience. Management does the best they can, but are often very overburdened. !Only employed 9/12 months a year as a bus driver/attendant!. Understaffed, so some situations where special needs are mixed with badly behaved children, which isnt ideal. 6am-5pm, with a 2 hour break in the middle of the day, so 8 hours pay but 10-12 hour long day.
Pros
Excellent hours if you have children/mid day errands
Cons
9/12 month employment
I love working for Baltimore county public schools. The staff at the schools that I worked at were supportive.
Additional Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baltimore county, MdAugust 6, 2018
I love being a additional assistant. I love children. I am a very patient person and I love to help children learn. Baltimore county public schools is a great school system to work for. They not only support the kids but adults as well.
Pros
I have Holidays off
Cons
I am off during the summer
Worst company to work for
Employee (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 3, 2018
I wouldn’t recommend anyone to work for them they do not know how to treat people.They are not trustworthy people especially the office of operations physical facilities.
Cons
Supervisors
fine
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Baltimore County, MDJuly 31, 2018
Worked here for a short time. I left due to children because i worked the night shift. overall i would recommend job to others.
.........................
Overall rating 5 stars, hands down
School Librarian/Media Specialist (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDJuly 26, 2018
Awesome Job Work/Life Balance; Compensation/Benefits; Job Security/Advancement; Management and Job Culture. Baltimore County Public Schools is among the highest performing school systems in the nation as a result of creating, sustaining, and investing in excellence for every student, every school, and every community. BCPS provides, for every student, the highest quality, 21st century education in a safe, secure, and positive environment conducive to high levels of teaching, learning, and student engagement, resulting in globally competitive students prepared for their chosen college and/or career path.
Cut throat
Instrumental/General Music Teacher (Former Employee) –  Randalstown, MDJuly 25, 2018
Non supportive staff. Employees distrusted admin. Admin very weak with discipline. Not enough materials. Unsafe classroom situations.
Not much of a departmental budget.
Pros
Cons
Lack of teacher support
Accurate description of my experience with this system
Founder/ Principal (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDJuly 23, 2018
I have served as a long term substitute teacher in both French and Spanish, for which I am a certified teacher. However, I have never been offered full-time employment. I am positive this is because of my age. I am not too old to teach for months at a time while the school system searches for a younger qualified or, in some cases, non qualified person.
Working for BCPS gives me double satisfaction.
Personal Assistant (Current Employee) –  MarylandJuly 21, 2018
Working for BCPS not only gives me the satisfaction of assisting students with their needs, collaborate with teachers, and be part of the enthusiasm in a school day, but to have the same schedule as my children. This advantage makes up the difference for the low income and lack of benefits of the Personal Assistant position.
Pros
Summer and holidays off, flexibility, Supportive staff.
Cons
No benefits, low income.
Very Difficult Job
Library Media Specialist (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDJune 29, 2018
You give up your family life during the school year because you are constantly doing work for the job outside of the normal working hours. Principals are not always supportive of teachers.

Want to know more about Baltimore County Public Schools?

Ask a question
Organization is effective in certain areas
Department Chairperson - Woodlawn High School (Current Employee) –  Baltimore County, MDJune 29, 2018
BCPS is effective in some areas, but not at talent development. Promotional opportunities are too often based on who you know and not your talents and abilities. That does a disservice to the students.
Great Place To Work
Fiscal Analyst III - Title 1 Grant Compliance (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDJune 23, 2018
Baltimore County Schools is a great place to work. I am trying to return to work at BCPS. I was allowed to work freely. My Director welcomed suggestions and provided full support. I attended compliance meetings to ensure I assisted the Principals and their staff with the correct development of the annual budget.
Pros
Benefits, Holidays, Consistent Pay raises
Cons
Hard to get a promotion
Love working there
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, MDJune 20, 2018
I love keeping the environment clean for the kids it's a pleasure for me to know that am keeping the school clean for the kids and the teachers love it
Pros
Find your own food
Cons
Half an hour break
I love working with the different children I encounter and watching them grow into functional beings.
ADDITIONAL ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Baltimore County, MDJune 19, 2018
I would start with a third grader ( he had ADHD not on melds)by taking him to the gym to work out some early energy then we would go to classroom to do math and reading .i would explain in greater detail and help him with the assignments for the day until lunch then I switched with another aa for a kindergartener ( who was very autistic) I would help keep him settled in class and he would rewards for listening. We would do his assignments the go for reading or a walk blow bubbles. I would give him instructions on how to pack up at the end of the day for dismissal.
Pros
I get to be a part of the children's life and make a difference through structure and learning
Cons
Schedule may change and I am switched to other children while doing good in progress.
The workplace area can be a little more quiet
Para-Special Educator (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDJune 13, 2018
a typical day is basically average. I have had to learn how to communicate. Management can be better as it relate to individual control of atmosphere.
MIDDLE SCHOOL EDUCATOR/TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 8, 2018
I started my teaching career with Baltimore County Public Schools.I enjoyed the people and the students. I chose to leave because I wanted to relocate to the Atlanta area.
Pros
Pay
Cons
The cost of living could not compete with what sounded like a lot of money.
Overall
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 8, 2018
Daily changing environment and a fast pace from the first day, first class to the last period & last day of school. The proudest moment is when you see them achieve what you taught them and they are passing it on to others.
Pros
flexiable
Teaching
Classroom Teacher (Current Employee) –  Catonsville, MDJune 3, 2018
Teaching is becoming more and more demanding and time consuming. The one-to-one devices are great, but the students have zero consequences. If you end up at a school with no support, like mine, your life is miserable. If you end up at a nice school with support, you will be happier. You just don't know what you're going to get!
Every position is not that bad
Adult Assistant (Current Employee) –  Parkville, MDMay 29, 2018
Everybody has problems, I get that, but everybody comes in with an attitude and they take it out on you like you woke them up on the wrong side of the bed. I'm not happy with management because the only ones who get results are people who are the administrations buddies. The people who work the hardest (the teachers and people who deal with students directly) are never rewarded but the people who see kids randomly are the ones who are praised and are rewarded.
Pros
If you become full time, the benefits are really good
Cons
Everything else.
Stressful work place depending on administration
Teacher (Current Employee) –  BaltimoreMay 25, 2018
The administration is very different from school to school. The culture and climate in a school is effected by this. This county is not very diverse teacher wise. The opportunity for advancement is low for minorities in Baltimore County. If placed at a school where administration supports their staff, this would be an average county to work for.