Banana Republic
Here to help
Coronavirus update
Information from Banana Republic:

Banana Republic Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location
Not your desired location?
Choose a different one
Ashburn, VA44 reviews
I was able to improve communication skills working the costumers throughout my time working at Banana Republic. I was also taught to understand whats current with out clothing line and how to operate different positions whether it be sales associates or working behind the register.
Cons
Management was a bit inflexible to work schedules and did not discuss pay prior to hire.
December 3, 2018
Thanks for your feedback! It's important for us to invest in our employees' careers and teaching them valuable skills they can use on and off the job. We hope you will continue to utilize the skills you acquired on our team throughout your career.
There are many opportunities to grow and move up at Banana Republic. It can be a fun and energetic place to work. The only real complaint I have is the constant pressure for opening credit cards. It takes a positive experience for all employees and make it unpleasant.
Banana Republic was my first retail job. I worked for Banana Republic for a couple months and I really enjoyed the job & all the experiences I shared with this company.
I would recommend this job for anyone who is looking to grow in the fashion industry as well as retail market!
It was a fun place to work, but a tiring job. Before you start the job, there is 3-4 day training. They teach you their products, differents fits for both men and women. During the interview, they ask you to come up with an outfit for a specific event. Also, salary is better compare to other clothing retails.
Great place to work and meet people. The company is very focused on customer service. Good benefits. There is a lot of potential and opportunities to grow if you show interest in developing your skills.
Care to share?
Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.
I hated it and the managers were rude. They weren't easy to talk to. Very demanding. They expect WAY too much of without any reward. Just not a fun place to work at.
April 23, 2019
We're sorry to hear your experience. We understand the significant part our leaders play in the experiences of our employees. We're committed to providing our managers resources to ensure they're supporting their teams. Thank you for your review.
Great work place and very comfortable learning place. Amazing manegers helped a lot. Hands on with shoopers and helped me with my communication skills. Learned hoe to sell items and how to help everyone at a timly manner.
Pros
communication
Cons
not any
March 18, 2019
We're so glad to hear this. We believe in setting up our employees for success and understand the value of teaching them skills they can use on and off the job. Thanks for sharing!
Very flexible hours. the shifts vary from 4 hours to 8 hours, depending how good you are and if you meet the team goals. If you are looking for a good work and school balance, this job is perfect.
Pros
Employee discount, Sale
November 19, 2018
Thank you for the review. We love to hear this! We’re always looking for great people to join our teams across our family of brands. There are tons of great part-time opportunities all over the country, and globally.
Organization, Tidiness, planning, people interactions, sales, style, personal customer relations, product knowledge, fast pace environment, teamwork and leadership roles.
Good experience working with customers and learning how a store runs, but constantly on your feet with very short breaks. Managers and coworkers were nice.
I typical day at work consisted of an assigned role or particular job based on skill level or simply the overall routine. The management was overall friendly and helpful, but it was easy to look past it and see their true intentions and distrust. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to interact with the customers and develop good rapport with co-workers. However, the workplace became a high-pressure atmosphere as managers strongly pressed and pushed us to try to get customers to sign up for the Credit Card. It was encouraging and crucial to our sales, but sometimes it became too prioritized and very discouraging.
June 26, 2018
We mean it when we say we’re “customer-obsessed,” and we love to hear you recognize this in your review. We've read your feedback on our credit cards. We are currently rolling out the BRIGHT Rewards program, which will allow us to get to know our customers better without the added pressure of having to require them to sign up for a credit card. Hopefully, this will improve the experience for both employees and customers.
A typical day : you might be busy or no
the company is not doing too good. you learned to work w a lot of people and learned a lot about fashion. managment is ok
Pros
great discouts
Cons
No loyalty
As a part-time job, it's a good one. However, I wish they [management] would be more open to the store associates in listening to our concerns. As someone who's been working longer than others, I would hope I could advance further and be fairly compensated for the work and experience I've put in [as it's advertised as competitive pay]. Everything else is expected from a part-time job: cool managers, some lackluster ones, fairly easy but sometimes they expect too much. Would I recommend for a part-time job? Yes. Would I tell them to eventually move on? Definitely.
Overall, I did enjoy working for Banana Republic and Gap Inc. However at my particular location, the new General Manager was not the best fit for a high volume location. Her strength was lacking in the communication and leadership development departments across the board. Many leaders left soon after they knew I was leaving. Benefits and compensation were great though.
Pros
Benefits, compensation, employee discount
Cons
Leadership development, growth, retail is declining as a whole
Working at banana was an interesting experience given that you would constantly get different directions from different people in management. They also place an unnecessarily hard focus on the BR card.
Just like any other retail store.. clothes to fold and organize, dull moments if the foot traffic is low, gotta sell credit cards/membership and hours get manipulated depending on the season
I work at Banana Republic in Montgomery Mall in Bethesda, MD. It is not pleasant working there at all as the main GM is poor at his job and makes things more complicated than needed. Customers in the area do not help either. Countless employees both associates and management have came and gone over my time here. My point of view with this job is if you can survive this job you can survive almost anything.
A typical day at work consists of doing what the managers task you to do. It's usually the same things every time you work, especially at Dulles, at a slow mall, it's a lot of tasking. Management is constantly changing, and we're losing a lot of associates daily.
Pros
Pros: not a lot of people so you can get more hours if you want them
Cons
Cons: Short break, not a lot of work and life balance, same thing every day, poor management.
great, relaxing place to work. it was in the mall so when i had breaks i was able to get some other shopping done. we also had a pretty good discount and we were able to hold items
the mangers were nice but they cut to many hours and it was always not clean and people didn't finish things before they left b4 there shift. But the Mangers try there best!
Pros
discount on stuff
Cons
short breaks
Always on your feet to help customers to have a great experience and come back.
Informing the customers about what they are looking for and making sure it is the best fit for them.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Banana Republic. Our community is ready to answer.
1K
1K
Diversity score
out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Banana Republic.