Banana Republic Employee Reviews

place is alright to work at
Sales Associate/Fitting Room Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 19, 2018
Good job for people who attend school on the side.
meeting new people everyday. Not a bad place to work at. They start you $10 a hr not sure if its the same pay I worked there years ago
Pros
Discounts
very busy work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Corte Madera, CAJuly 18, 2018
this place was always very busy and good with giving there employees there breaks however there managers were very intense and extra. they also had a lot of cross training and paid very littlel
Pros
good breaks
Cons
little pay
Can be a fun place to work
Associate Manager (Former Employee) –  Tinton Falls, NJJuly 17, 2018
When the correct people are in management, the company is amazing to work for. Unfortunately, the company spends more time focusing on negative attention than positive reinforcement and a lot of good work goes unnoticed while bad work seems to be coddled too much.
Summer job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Harriman, NYJuly 17, 2018
This was a summer job for multiple years trying to put some money in my pocket. Generally, management was friendly and the co-workers there made the work easy. Due to its location, the store was a prime tourist spot, especially in the summer. This would pose interesting issues including language barriers and customer volume. For most of my tenure there I was a closing employee, whose responsibilities were, for the most part, to reorganize the store for the next morning. I really enjoyed this facet of my job because I functioned better at night as I am not a morning person, and the store closed halfway through my shift, so customers were not really around at closing time or after.

If I had one constructive tip to offer: management should have found a better way to allocate their employees for closing purposes. Some areas of the store were messier than others, and management should have employed a command-and-conquer technique rather than deploying them all to different parts of the store.
Pros
friendly co-workers
Cons
management allocated labor resources inefficiently
Enjoy working there but not given desired hours
Brand Ambassador / Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 16, 2018
Working at BR is great all leader are nice and friendly
great discounts for all gap brands
but hours given are not appreciable even though i work part time
Pros
Great Discount
Cons
Don't get a lot of hours
A Place to Grow
Associate Technical Designer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 16, 2018
It gave me a chance to get to learn and the hands off approach let me know that I was trusted to get my work done. Meetings were only held when necessary and everyone was very nice.
Fun work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Garden City, NYJuly 16, 2018
When I first worked there they had great management towards the end I didn't like the management in place . I liked that they encourage us to get involved with the community
Pros
Discount
Cons
Not enough full time offers
Amazing place to work!!!
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Castle Rock, COJuly 15, 2018
I have worked for Gap inc. for five years now and the experience provided to me have been phenomenal! This company cares about developing its associates into strong leaders ready to move up in the retail world.
Excellent
Seasonal Employee (Former Employee) –  Hanover, MDJuly 14, 2018
It was an excellent place to work, I learned to fold clothes and often got help from the other staff members. The hardest part was probably cleaning before closing. The most enjoyable was seeing the smiles on peoples faces when you smiled at them.
Great place, great people and great recognition
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCJuly 14, 2018
This was the best retail company i have ever worked for hands down! everyone is like family there (at least when i was there). it was always fun whether it was busy or not! Summer time and Black Friday are busy times but everyone always worked together to help newbies and when we may have been short staffed! If you wanted to learn all you had to do was ask management and they would make sure to set you up so learn new things if thats what you wanted. it was hard to move up only because nobody ever left once they got management positions. i love their clothing! i still shop there now! i go and visit and its still the same wonderful atmosphere. the hardest part was having to leave. Hours could be scarce in the off season. i learned so much especially when it came to visual merchandising. I got mentored by several GMs so i was very fortunate
Pros
Family environment, work life balance, discounts
Cons
low hrs in off season
Good place for earning experience
Employee (Former Employee) –  Katy, TXJuly 13, 2018
This job was helpful in teaching me people skills and time management. I earned lots of experience here and I wish I could have stayed longer. I enjoyed working with people and learned a lot.
Fun place to work
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJuly 13, 2018
Every day brings something new, the one thing you can count on in retail is change!! The employee discount is great! There is opportunity to move to different stores if you move to another area of the country.
Its Retail
Consumer Services Management (Former Employee) –  Rochester Hills, MIJuly 10, 2018
Hard to give a serious review for a retail position. But my experience with BR was definitely the best for any company. If they paid 50% more, I would have stayed. After researching several other retail companies, it's apparent BR is not competitive with their salaries. But being retail you don't really have to be. Most people coming for jobs are teenagers.
Fun workplace
Acting leader (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJuly 10, 2018
GAP Inc. cares about its employees. A typical day at work was fun and engaging with both the employees and customers. Working at Banana Republic was a great learning experience.
Pros
Employee Discount
Really good for the student/retiree
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vero Beach, FLJuly 9, 2018
very flexible and works with you on hours, easy to set hours, good management, easy job.

Despite the job being flexible, if you have an open schedule and are looking for many hours, you most likely will not get many due to the sheer number of employees.
Pros
flexible
Cons
not many hours
As expected of a part-time in retail
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 9, 2018
Normal day is just coming in, getting the spiel from your manager about the deals for the day. You spend your time helping customers choose the clothes they're looking for, or restocking, or ringing them out. Of course, you have to try to get them to buy more items or get the company credit card.
Fun
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Michigan City, INJuly 9, 2018
Everyone worked well together. Banana offers a great employee discount that can be used with their sister brands as well. Flexible hours, laid back but fast passed environment at times.
Balanced work environment. Helpful managers and cool staff.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Westbury, NYJuly 7, 2018
A nice job. Perks like the discounts we're cool. Employees were paid back while work remained the priority. I worked shipment so I always was in at 6 am. The crew culture was very tight, we became friends.
Pros
Discount on clothrs
Cons
Fast paced. Very busy during the holidays.
Nice mall gig
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CAJuly 7, 2018
It was pretty good working for Banana. The mall sucks but it was actually a nice gig. I didn't hate it. I enjoyed the people I worked with and the managers were all extremely helpful and always willing to work with us. I didn't see much room for growth in the company, but it was still a good experience
Productive work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAJuly 4, 2018
It was a great working enviornment. The employees were respectful and nice. I grew a lot working there. I loved helping the customers. I loved working the fitting rooms

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Banana Republic. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

Powered by Fairygodboss

3.2Fairygodboss Score

75%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

75%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.