Banfield Pet Hospital Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Found 1,463 reviews matching the search See all 1,466 reviews
great business
RVT, Shift Lead (Current Employee) –  Culver City, CAAugust 15, 2018
great business. Really enjoyed working with my team and giving quality preventative care. Banfield is a wonderful hospital they really care about the patients and staff
Fast paced. Low pay.
Veterinary Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 14, 2018
Fast paced but can be fun depending on team. Wonderful learning opportunities for an introduction to veterinary medicine. Pay is not great. Discounts and benefits are unmatched for preventive care in the industry.
Bad management and hours
Client Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Cedar Park, TXAugust 13, 2018
This place is a hot mess, bad bad management, and poor work culture. Most of the Vetenarians are spoiled and complain about their job every single day. They are also rude and disrespectful. The work hours are very long since this facility is open 7 days a week, expect not to have a life. The manager was unsympathetic, manipulating and would literally force employees into covering shifts by putting then on a guilt trip. I put in my two weeks notice as a courtesy, the manager asked me to work till the end of the pay period despite my two weeks notice. This individual went as far as threatening me to give me a bad recommendation if I did not cover the remaining of my scheduled shifts that would go past my two weeks. I’m still getting calls and sarcastic voicemails from the manager, totally unprofessional and disrespectful. Runaway, this place is horrible as they have a high employee turnover. Most of the employees hate their job and their manager.
Benefits
Good entry level place
Veterinary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CAAugust 13, 2018
Great for wanting to learn. The hospital I worked at had an amazing staff and it was easy to make friends. Usually you get started as a secretary without experience but there is room to move up. Insurance sucks. The higher ups also get mad if you go over certain hours regardless of how much money is made that day. It's like any other corporation. The staff was the reason I stayed so long.
Too concerned with speed and giving services from a contract plan that may not be needed at time of check up.
Extern (Former Employee) –  Wentzville, MOAugust 11, 2018
Sales first Sales Second Patient a variable 4th Lacked a focus on customer care by forcing Techs and Doctors to rush through treatment for higher sale numbers and at times missing vital health problems.
Pros
1 hr lunch
Cons
didn't get hired after externship
Good
Veterinary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Avondale, AZAugust 10, 2018
I had a pleasant time working at banfield the drs and staff were great we worked together great as a team I would work there again if I had the chance to
Fast Paced
Veterinary Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Kennesaw, GAAugust 9, 2018
Banfield is a very fast paced practice. I love their wellness plan options because more people comply with what the doctors are recommending. They also have fantastic benefits.
Co-workers make it worth it
Shift Lead (Current Employee) –  TXAugust 7, 2018
I am fortunate enough to be working with a great group of people. In your hospitals the staff, doctors, and practice manager makes or breaks a place. The new upper management has lost focused, but I believe it will come back to what it should be. They are focused on pet #s instead of the quality of medicine. They give us problems without solutions and just expect things to change without giving us the tools. WIth hard work and persistence it will all work out. Banfield needs to realize that a happy staff will translate into happy clients. When they increase the wages are add incentives for the VA/VTs and CsCs they will see a big difference.
Pros
Great co-workers, caring doctors, decent benefits, Pto
Cons
Hard schedule, bad work life balance, poor training, no incentives
Great beginner job
Client Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZAugust 6, 2018
Started working here to get my foot into the veterinary world while I went to school to become a vet tech and it was a great steady job. I worked the front desk taking calls, making appointments, filing, checking in clients, filling prescriptions, etc. and overall was very rewarding. I learned a lot about the business of a vet hospital and got to be around my future setting. Very set hours as we only had three front desk employees but it worked for all of us, it was only hard when it came to sick or vacation time because there was little coverage. Other then that the job was great. I finished school and got offered a job as a technician at another clinic and took it. The vet staff at my particular location was not my cup of tea, therefore I accepted the other offer. I still hold friendships with some of the ladies I worked with.
Pros
Set hours, great pay and advancement, long breaks
Cons
Not much personal space
Productive and fulfilling workplace
Client Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Avondale, AZAugust 5, 2018
I loved working here! I would have stayed if it had not been for having to relocate. The staff really works as a team, and the employer cares for the employees
On the job training, but management is the worse
Receptionist/Vet Tech (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAAugust 4, 2018
I worked at Banfield for a very long time. I had an AMAZING manager when I first worked there, however once she left we got stuck with a horrible, horrible manager.

The culture of Banfield is to see as many pets as possible in a day. We tried to trim our schedule in Santa Cruz so we could see pets, but also give them the quality of care. Uppers didn’t care and just pushed how we needed to be making more and more money.

I was denied time off for a family emergency (my uncle was DYING of stage 4 liver failure and was given 48 hours to live), then when I was emotional about it was told I would be written up “if I didn’t shape up”. I have never experience this from an employer ever.

Hard work will get you no where as well. I busted my butt everyday I came in, yet raises were extremely difficult to get. I also worked with a very abusice doctor, to which no one did anything about.
Pros
Okay discounts for my pets, fun team
Cons
Management sucked
good place to work with lots of opportunities to learn
Veterinary Assistant/ Client Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXAugust 2, 2018
good work environment, learned much about the small animal veterinary field. it is a good place for someone to begin getting experience as a vet tech.
Wonderful People
Client Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOAugust 2, 2018
This has been my favorite place I've ever worked. The managers really care about you, and though the job is very fast paced, people don't get furious if you accidentally mess something up with scheduling. It is obvious (at least at my hospital) that they really care about the pets and the clients and we do everything we can to accommodate people. Most of the vets have been in practice 10-20 years and are very knowledgeable. If you can handle extremely fast paced work conditions, I cannot recommend working for them highly enough!
Pros
Free vet care, flexible scheduling, great work environment, great culture
Cons
Low pay
Fast paced fun environment.
CSC (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INJuly 30, 2018
Great place to work. Fast paced, multitasking environment. I loved the pets and the people. Helping those animals was an amazing feeling every day.
Amazing job
Veterinary Nurse (Current Employee) –  Annandale, VAJuly 29, 2018
My store for banfield is amazing the facility isn't built as good as it should be but the people I work with are amazing and mars is such a good company to work for
Pros
Great company to work for
Cons
Stresfull job can be heartbreaking
Stay away. Do not work here!!
Vet Tech (Former Employee) –  Lady Lake, FLJuly 28, 2018
Started out okay, went through numerous management changes and not for the better, which quickly turned into a nightmare. It was more about money than quality care. Felt more like a sales job than a job caring for animals. Clients were made to felt shameful if they didn’t spend tons of money. Management does NOT care for their employees well being and are criticized if they don’t sell the Wellness Plans. The practice manager is more worried about getting a bonus in her pocket for not spending money on supplies, causing a shortage in pretty much everything. Policies are constantly changing, keeping it difficult to keep up. There is no appreciation for staff whatsoever. Any vet clinic would be better than this place!!
Pros
Discounts on pet care.
Cons
Pretty much everything else.
unhealthy atmosphere
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Gilbert, AZJuly 28, 2018
mgmt is unstable, clients are allowed to treat employees like dirt, many branches are completely unproductive and violent
a few good ppl here n there.
banfield
Lead Veterinary Technician (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 28, 2018
It was a fine place to work but you get lost in the corporate part of the company. It feels like you are just a number. It is very fulfilling to be working with and helping animals.
Awesome team members
Veterinary/ Surgical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJuly 27, 2018
Everyone works really well together. There isn’t a ton of legit training and steps to go through before advancing to assure the new job will Ben done properly and you are educated throughly
Lack of overall care for employees
Veterinary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 24, 2018
I worked at Banfield for over 4 years (just left 2 months ago), I have come to realize that there is no care for associates mental/physical/emotion health. Unfortunately they overwork you, you are expected to do things that are way above your title- a example of this is, I was a VA that whole 4 year duration and I was expected to do things that a VT would be doing- which I was ok with for a while but I was not being compensated for all this extra work I was providing. When bringing this up to management and then to headquarters I was a given nothing but empty promises time and time again. Banfield will work you until you are stretched so thin and you eventually leave and then they do the same thing to the next person that comes a long. I have seen and experienced this time and time again. The best advice I would give would be to find keep looking- you can find something much better.
Pros
I had a great hospital team
Cons
as listed above

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Banfield Pet Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight