Banfield Pet Hospital

petveterinaryanimalwellnessvethospitaldoctormedicine

Good professional support.

Featured review

Banfield Pet Hospital selected this as a representative review
The technicians are awesome. The veterinarians are very friendly and caring. There are safety protocols which are helpful. Services are a good value for the money.

Pros

Feels like family. We treat the pets like our own.

Cons

Very long days (10-11 hours)

February 2, 2022
Thank you for taking the time to review. We're thrilled to hear that you enjoy working with us! Please don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of assistance; we're here to help! -Banfield Pet Hospital

Workplace experience highly dependent on location

The workplace experience is extremely dependent on the individual location and the region you're in. Hospital teams can be fantastic or awful; and upper management constantly changes both in regards to goals and actual personnel. Very little support from higher management. Almost zero work life balance. Benefits provided are higher than elsewhere in the field and are really the only reason for the three star rating.

Banfield Pet Hospital insights

Based on 1,945 survey responses
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Overall satisfaction

Wouldn’t recommend

Horrible place to work. Management picks and choose who they want the rules to apply to. You can be a great worker and they won’t appreciate it. They pick on minority employees.

Pros

Free wellness plan for your pet

Cons

Everything else

Good place to start out if you are looking for a place to start off in the field but beware training is severely lacking

I have had the pleasure of working at two different locations and in both instances, getting proper training was like pulling teeth.Banfield, please implement individualized training plans and take the guesswork and stress off of the already busy technicians and assistants. Technician utilization is extremely important in a time where we are dealing with a shortage of veterinarians. Implement mentorship programs and checklists to give everyone a fair chance at learning the skills we were trained to do and that we are capable of doing. Staff members are often missing out on training experiences in the interest of “saving time” so the more seasoned technicians can get through the procedure faster. Staff members and veterinarians are openly struggling which spills into the quality of patient care. Take care of the employees who take care of your patients, stop pushing numbers on your compassion fatigued staff and allow us to give quality patient care to allow our passion for the field burn strong. After being a credentialed technician with banfield, I asked for a raise 3 times. In the last instance I was told I had to wait until March, meaning I wasn’t eligible for a raise until well after a year of having a license. I have since found new employment. I don’t wish to speak anyone further regarding my experience, I just want changes to be made. Your employees deserve better.

Pros

I loved learning from everyone I worked with, Everyone is usually friendly, Pay for license cost and extra CE/free CE, 3 free OWPs (pet preventive care only), Sometimes get free lunches

Cons

Low pay, Inconsistent hours, Lots of workplace drama, Treated unprofessionally, Benefits are expensive to use even at the highest tier for medical care, Lack of proper communication between staff and management

What is the best part of working at the company?I learned a lot working there.What is the most stressful part about working at the company?It was hard getting hours. Severely understaffed on doctors and if the hospital can’t find a doctor we close for that day. As part-time, I only worked 0-2 days a week.

Excellent veterinary staff (Doctors and non-management Pet Nurses)

I absolutely adored both the patients and their owners. The Chief of Staff during my time there was amazing - she is truly one of the best veterinarians in the business.

Pros

Amazing veterinary staff, close relationships with patients and owners

Cons

Some of the management was problematic during my time there

December 5, 2022
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us! We're glad to hear you received adequate support from your fellow teammates. We strive to provide an inclusive, diverse and supportive work environment for all. We wish you the best.

Good people I work with

I Really like my fellow employees. They are well trained, and although we are frequently understaffed, they always step-up and make the most of difficult situations!

December 5, 2022
Thank you for your positive review. We are happy to hear you have such a supportive team and that you are enjoying your time with Banfield. We hope you continue growing with us!

Fun job but not for career driven people

A good first job choice to where i got to learn customer service skills, communication, a bit of sales, and friendship building. I loved getting to see the pets people brought in and forming relationships with both customers and coworkers but ultimately it was not a great choice to make a career out of it.

Pros

puppies

Cons

no real room for advancement

December 5, 2022
We are glad that you were able to learn so many valuable skills and were able to grow with us at Banfield. We wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Productive and quality environment

Productive and quality environment to learn and grow. Plenty of opportunities for mentorship and self development but lacking in advancement. Field Directors are typically outside hires with no veterinary experience.

December 2, 2022
Thank you for taking the time to leave us this review. We are thrilled to hear you were able to learn and grow with us and took advantage of the mentorship and self-development opportunities we have available for our associates. We are sorry for the disappointment in advancement opportunities, and we wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Peers

People at this job do not take it seriously. Was seriously bullied. Some people must work the entire shift non stop while others sit there not doing anything yet get promotoed. The only good thing is the management

Workplace environment & management

Working here was a disaster. I can’t believe that I stayed for 2 years. It is so bad that one of the DOCTORS quit and moved to another hospital outside of Banfield. Management does not listen to you at all and there is no help when it comes to growing in the veterinary field. Everyone talks about everyone when they aren’t there but act like your friend when you’re working. You can tell there are cliques.

November 30, 2022
We appreciate you taking the time to leave this review and are sorry to see you are no longer with us. It is very important to us to get a deeper understanding of how our employees feel at work. Please, contact us at BanfieldCares@banfield.com so we can learn more about your time at the Greenville location. We wish you the best in continuing to care for pet patients and their families!

Great structure and consistency in work

Banfield is corporate so there is some emphasis on meeting numbers but that is understandable with how well they pay us. It is nice that whatever banfield you go to if you want to pick up shifts for instance it’s all the same and an easy transition. In general the company has a lot of cool benefits like free headspace, 5 free counseling sessions if needed, discounts at petsMart, 3 free wellness plans and so much more. I am really happy with working for this company and feel like I am able to work to my full capacity of my job in what I went to school for.

Pros

Good benefits and consistency within the company

November 29, 2022
Thank you for your review and your time with us. We are happy to hear that you have been able to take advantage of the benefits and wellness programs. We hope that you have a long successful career with our family.

Learned a lot!

Lots of room to grow and lots to learn. Banfield is a great company to work for benefits wise, but the pay doesn’t match the stress of the job, however all vet clinics are high stress. Some of them pay a lot more though, but Banfield isn’t just a mom and pop, it’s HUGE and that is pretty neat. I have very mixed feelings about the wellness plans (can be really good!) but tends to lend to over poking and prodding the dog because “things are free on the plan”. Don’t stab my dogs bladder with needle for a urine sample. That’s why dogs hate the vet so much and they bite the next time they come in. Co workers upselling people on dental plans for their 1 year old lab with no dental calculas. The dog does not need a dental yet. It’s scammy. Come on people.

November 28, 2022
We are sorry to see that you are no longer with us but we appreciate the feedback. We will continue to do all we can to retain our Banfield talent in an effort to create the best experience for our pet patients. We wish you the best!

Great place with work/ life balance

It’s a laid back but professional environment. The team works well together and has a good culture. If you are new to the industry then this would be a good place to start.

November 28, 2022
Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear you have had such a positive experience with your team. We hope that you have a long successful career with our Banfield family.

Lack of Medical Autonomy

DVMs are required to use corporate protocols. Lack of proper medications, especially analgesia. Too much time spent on their training as opposed to seeing patients. Centralised, which delays local decision making. Lack of support from area director.

November 30, 2022
Thank you for your hard work and commitment to your Banfield Tulsa hospital team. We appreciate you bringing this feedback to our attention and we wish you all the best in continuing to care for pet patients and their families.

Good Skill Development, No Work/Life Balance

The company offers a lot of hiring opportunities, skill development, continued education, PTO and holidays off, and a higher pay than most of the market. Co-workers in the hospital have a great sense of belonging.However, management will sacrifice qulaity of care for whatever market numbers they're trying to hit that period. Every day is short staffed, wheter because someone calls out, or because it was scheduled that way. You will often be expected to do the job of two people while they continue to add more work for you. Late/call outs are never held accountable and happens regularly. New policies are put in place without consulting the doctors and then are changed again within days. Turn over is VERY high.This is a great place to develop your skills, but you will burn out very quickly.

November 30, 2022
We are happy that you have a supportive team around you at your hospital and that you have been able to take advantage of our CE classes! Can you please reach out to your business partner or arservicecenter@banfield.com so we can talk with your further about your experience with lack of support from management? We have multiple resources for our Associates to talk through their experiences in any capacity; your business partner is a great place to start. Hoping we can work together to improve upon areas of opportunity!

Cooperate

I liked Banfield except having to get clients to sign up for an optimum wellness plan at every chance was pushed by corprate. The benefits were great especially the Penn Foster partnership.

November 23, 2022
Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us! We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the benefits while with us and hope you were able to bring your concerns to your management team to work on that together. We wish you luck in your future.

From the corporate office to the Field management, they ONLY care about their numbers (dentals, surgeries, comprehensive exams, wellness plans sold)

You will be over worked, unappreciated, no holidays off unless deemed lucky enough to be closed, Banfield corporate and Field management only wants to care for the dentals, selling wellness plans, spays, neuter surgeries, lvt taking care of the vaccines for the pets so that the dr can see more pets which = more $. If your pet is sick or injured better call the Pet Emergency cause Banfield does not want those cases.

So so

Mostly everyone is nice and has good intentions but there is definitely favoritism. It’s understaffed so you’re overworked. Leadership could be better.

November 30, 2022
We wish you the best of luck in your next career move and appreciate you taking the time to leave your review. We will continue to work as hard as we can to fill those critical hospital roles and provide programs that help to prevent burnout.

Pros and cons

Pro: work life balance is not bad, sometimes you get weekends off Con: lack of training when it's needed, high turn over rate in staff and management

Great place for baby techs and assistants looking to become RVTs

Great start to my veterinary career, wonderful health and pet benefits! Helped me afford to get my license as well. Banfield is like most corporate facilities with rules and regulations but depending on staff/ doctors you can still see/ assist is cool procedures:

November 18, 2022
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us! We're happy to hear that you receive adequate support from your fellow teammates and management staff. We strive to provide an inclusive, diverse and supportive work environment for all. Thank you for being a vital part in our success!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Banfield Pet Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.9Personal Development
3.8Career Opportunities
2.8Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight