Banfield Pet Hospital
Here to help
Coronavirus update
Information from Banfield Pet Hospital:

Banfield Pet Hospital Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location
Not your desired location?
Choose a different one
Ashburn, VA46 reviews
busy and not a lot of freedom
The veterinary field is rewarding, but not a lot of pay for the amount of work you do. Long 12 hour days are a regular with working holidays as well. The upper management in the corporate offices are not very helpful. You do not get a lot of free time, so the work/life balance is horrible. There is not a lot of opportunities to advance.
Overall not great
I was brought in to help improve medical quality and to teach. The management fought back on all positive changes and refused. It is dirty - tables not wiped down, surgical equipment not cleaned between uses, blood on the walls. I mean nasty. And the chief of staff practices very outdated medicine, putting animals at risk. Overall poor quality of medicine. The corporation very micb pushes quantity over quality. They want a single doctor to perform a minimum of 6 surgical peocedures and see like 10-15 drop offs by 4 pm and then often see rooms after. Ridiculous
Horrible Environment and Unfair Pay for Performance
I worked at Banfield for not even one year, and could not stand to work there anymore. For a company who claims to care about animal well-being, it does not seem to be their priority. Corporate and direct supervisors will push employees to book as many appointments as possible, without the consideration of burnout, job efficiency, or a general care for employee well-being. The application will suggest that you will only work 8 to 10 hours a day, but I typically had to work 12 hours each day. My direct supervisor was not supportive and displayed a clear preference of certain employees over others. It is just a toxic environment, and I couldn't trust anyone. I certainly hope other locations are better....
March 21, 2020
We appreciate your review and feedback.

N/a
No comment. I dont wish to speak on this job much. At the time company was under poor management from head to toe. Now that they are Under New Management I would recommend them for anyone that's looking for a great first job
March 21, 2020
We're always striving to improve our associate experience and are glad you will recommend working at Banfield. Thank you for sharing your review.

I loved this job
I loved this job so much and really felt like I belonged there. I was able to meet people and get things done and stretch myself as a person more then any profession I have ever had before.
Pros
you get to work with animals
January 19, 2020
We love that you loved working at Banfield! Thank you for your review. We wish you the best!

Care to share?
Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.
Fun place to work and learn
Got my foot in the door as a Veterinarian Assistant working at Banfield.
Gave me a strong foundation of learning in the animal field. The job was steady and management was always helpful in teaching the team new things almost each week.
January 19, 2020
We agree, Banfield provides a great learning environment and structured training! Thank you for sharing your positive experience during your time at Banfield. We wish you best in your endeavors!

They were great
The Banfield in Sterling Va is wonderful. Everyone there really cares about the people and the animals. The doctors care about their patients, and the nurses are phenomenal.
January 19, 2020
Thank you for taking the time to share your review! We're proud of all the amazing work our associates do every day. We wish you the best!

Great co workers!
This is a high stress environment where you have to learn fast and rely on your team often. You are on your feet a lot and have to always be in a good mood. The work life balance is non existent, you will get called on your off time and asked to stay later when you are supposed to end your shift.
Pros
hour lunches
Cons
You do not get paid for lunch breaks
November 27, 2019
Thank you for sharing your feedback. If you have not already, we encourage you to partner with your PM and/or field leadership to discuss your concerns. We appreciate all you do for our clients and pets!
It’s okay
I wouldn’t want my friends to work here because I don’t wanna put them through that stress, but the pay is really nice when you’ve been there for a while. Just be prepared for lack of communication, rude clients, and not being appreciated.
September 12, 2019
Thank you for your review and feedback. We are sorry you feel unappreciated. We always look for ways to improve our associate experience. It is not clear to us if you have spoken with your PM about your concerns, if you have not yet, we encourage you to do so. We appreciate all you do for our practice.

Hostile work environment
While I love helping animals and being of service to people, banfield was not a place that was conducive to that. I did not agree with how myself, numerous clients and pets were treated by doctors and even by management staff.
Pros
Pay, benefits, accessibility in location.
Cons
Inconsiderate of availability, terrible disposition toward clients, staff not following DEA regulations and bias in employment advancement opportunities.
September 12, 2019
Thank you for sharing your feedback. We would like the opportunity to learn more about the issues mentioned in your review. We encourage you to contact our Associate Relations team at 800-394-6117.

--- Banfield Pet Hospital
Productive as well as a fun invirement place to work.
I loved working there my manager was awesome . I enjoed working with the animals. I also learned alot medically it was definitely a different atmosphere. Due to the lack of hours i couldnt no longer afford working for the company.
September 12, 2019
Your feedback is important to us as we continuously strive to improve our practices and work culture. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We wish you the best in your endeavors!

--- Banfield Pet Hospital
Long hours with not much appreciation
Too many patients for the staff to be able to give good quality care. Quantity always wins over quality. Ineffective current management has left us short staffed and extremely overworked currently. Love working with the animals and helping pets, but burn out occurs from being overwhelmed every single day
Pros
Free wellness plans, discounts on pet care
Cons
Long hours, too much work for scheduled staff
May 26, 2019
Your feedback is appreciated. Thank you.

Poor work eviroment.
I worked at banfield over three years and I realized they where not teaching me anything or helping me grow as a tech. The enviroment was always uncomfortable and difficult work in. There was constant gosping among the staff and the manager was impossible to work with and seemed to promote these negative attributes of the work place.
Pros
Pto, 401k, Life insurance
Cons
Toxic work enviroment, not enough hours.
March 29, 2019
Thank you for your review and candid feedback. We value associate feedback and are continuously working towards improving the associate experience. We appreciate your contribution to our practice.

-- Banfield Pet Hospital
My experience
I love the environment because there are animals everywhere, everyone around me has great work ethic and everyday is exiting. My manager takes time to oversee our work and provides feedback which is necessary if we are going to be great at what we do. The hardest thing would be to getting used to different types of clients and pets.
Pros
one hour lunches, pets and great employees
Cons
low pay for what we do
Amazing job
My store for banfield is amazing the facility isn't built as good as it should be but the people I work with are amazing and mars is such a good company to work for
Pros
Great company to work for
Cons
Stresfull job can be heartbreaking
September 29, 2018
Thank you for taking the time to share your review. We value your feedback and contributions to Banfield.

Mistrust
This company trusts their employees as far as they can throw them. Any step out of line and you are berated as to why you're not doing your job and how it should be done and why aren't you doing it yet.
good pay but not enough hours.
While i was working here they would only put me on the schedule once a week. The pay was good but i wasn't getting enough hours to support myself. On top of that, the training manager was terrible. i got put into a little room to watch videos all day and was never taught a single thing. I had to quit due to not making enough money.
Pros
cute animals and good pay
Cons
no benefits, not enough hours.
Banfield Pet Hospital Review
My experience at Banfield Pet Hospital has been fantastic. There was a learning curve that I went into head first and was eager to acquire all of the skills it took to keep our branch thriving and providing a quality experience for all of our clients.
June 18, 2018
Thank you for your review. We are glad that you are part of our team!

--- Banfield Pet Hospital
productive work place, needs better management
OK place to work some locations are better than others. Most days are fun but very busy lots of pets and lots of clients. Decent pay, long hours. Needs much better hospital management.
Pros
4 day work week
Cons
having to work weekends and holidays
March 12, 2018
Your review and feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your dedication to our practice.

Workplace Culture
My hospital has a very open and accepting culture. The associates make the location feel more like a family and they are all very supportive of each other
January 29, 2018
Thank you for sharing your viewpoint about the positive workplace culture. Sounds like you have the winning combination at Chantilly. Kudos to the entire team!

Quick-Paced but fun
If you are interested in the veterinary field, I highly recommend working at Banfield. They train you on-site and give you an appropriate amount of time to learn everything. However, there is a LOT to learn and you do have to have good customer service skills. You also have to have a lot of patience for animals in a noisy environment. The hours are usually long but the pay is usually double the minimum wage starting out (also depends on the location). The cons for this place are the long hours and constant movement. There are a lot of customer issues you have to deal with. All in all, I do not regret my time spent at Banfield and I would do it all over again.
Pros
Discounts, free wellness plans, good pay, lots of hours, great teamwork, puppies and kittens all day, one hour lunches
Cons
Long hours, standing for a long time, high stress environment, noisy, not too much advancement
January 6, 2018
Thank you for your review. We agree that Banfield provides a great learning environment and structured training. We appreciate your enthusiasm and commitment to our practice!

--- Banfield Pet Hospital
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Banfield Pet Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.
2.8
2.9
2.7
Diversity score
out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Banfield Pet Hospital.