Banfield Pet Hospital Employee Reviews

Found 1,673 reviews matching the search See all 1,679 reviews
If I could go back in time, NOPE
Veterinary Assistant (Current Employee) –  South CarolinaMarch 19, 2019
Empty promises all day every day

Your hours WILL be cut drastically in December every year. Right in time for Christmas.

Only benefit is PTO, after 3 years it starts to accumulate pretty quickly (~5 hrs per paycheck which is every 2 weeks)
Pros
Pto
Cons
Unnecessarily stressful, low pay, pathetic yearly raise
Use this as a stepping stone
Veterinary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brandon, FLMarch 19, 2019
This place is good to get started. Just put up with the BS and get your foot in the door. Put a year in get expirence and get out. Otherwise you will be miserable.
Pros
Cons
Everything about this place
Va
Veterinary Assistant (Former Employee) –  West Linn, ORMarch 19, 2019
Focus is corporate in nature meaning the main focus is numbers and dollars. All staff are required to work very demanding hours. Compensation does not match work load and barely competitive. Culture can vary by hospital but frequently certain staff are given special treatment by management. Management is slow to respond to staff inquires sometimes even failing to respond completely.
Pros
Animals
Cons
Low pay hard hours stressful negative culture
They fired 7 people in my training class!
Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAMarch 19, 2019
The management s terrible, they fire fire fire and fire so I definitely would not recommend getting a job here unless you want to work for a couple days to a couple weeks, they smile in your face but then they will fire you! It's a fun place to work that's relaxed, but again you will get fired! I would go find some place else to work!

Vey just need bodies in the chairs which is why they hire 10 people every 30 days and just fire people all the time!!

They fire so many people that Aerotek had to call a meeting with them to find out what was going on over there!
Pros
Cons
Short breaks, management, they actually don't care about you!
Rate
Veterinary Assistant/Client Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Burnsville, MNMarch 18, 2019
i don't want to rate them but apparently i need to keep typing to move past this page. i just want to find another job and not have to answer all these questions.
Entry level
Veterinary Technician (Former Employee) –  MDMarch 18, 2019
This place is a young persons game and an entry level starter job. Use it to get your foot in the door and hopefully you will work with a decent vet who knows what they are doing and you can learn something. Lovely staff and coworkers for the most part, terrible company.
Corporate retail companies should not own service industry businesses. They have no idea how to run them. They have standards and revenue benchmarks are based on their other companies. Zero business bring in the medical field. It is awful. The Mars Inc. (think chocolate, soda, and other foods) acquisition of Banfield, Antech and VCA was the worst thing that could happen for the field. This is also known because people at corporate (one who actually cared and had his heart in the right place) stepped down because of what was happening to the company. That speaks volumes.

If you can, try to find a job with a private practice instead, the experience and your treatment will be vastly different than this revolving door, corporate, fast food style, of veterinary care.
Pros
Benefits, starter job
Cons
Terrible example of veterinary medicine
Fast paced
Veterinary Technician (Current Employee) –  Pembroke Pines, FLMarch 17, 2019
Animal Care is very important and it's a fun thing to see animals get well and get what they need otherwise salary and benefits could be a whole lot better
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Benefits, pay
Absolutely horrible place to work for.
CVT (Current Employee) –  FloridaMarch 15, 2019
Banfield has become a cesspool of incompetence. I’ve worked there for over 4 years not and am counting down the days until I can leave in the coming months. Your opinion means less than nothing, animals aren’t treated well (will go 9+ hours without even being walked, no water, no blankets, no litter box, etc.) and Banfield cares about one thing and one thing only, money. Pet counts, wellness plans, para, numbers...this is their God and only concern. Management is beyond pathetic. No quality of medicine can be obtained while working here and only working your butt off to corr ct all their mistakes. If you’re thinking of working here...don’t...just don’t. I could go on and on but I’m hoping you’ll listen and look for a real hospital to work for.
Pros
Cons
It’s still in business
Not bad, not good
Veterinary Assistant (Current Employee) –  OklahomaMarch 15, 2019
The job itself was rewarding with taking care of pets. However, if you do not like the corporate setting, then this isn't for you. It seems to be more about numbers, selling Wellness Plans, and how many appointments can be made in a day.
They seem to be flexible with schedules, but then will ask you to come in when you have a day off. Never seem to have enough people to staff for the day.
I have worked at a private practice clinic as well, and like that atmosphere better then the corporate scene.
Pros
Benefits, paid time off, schedule is mostly flexible
Cons
long working hours, job culture/negativity in clinic
Good place
Veterinary Assistant/Technician (Former Employee) –  Foothill Ranch, CAMarch 15, 2019
Liked my clinic in foothill ranch. Can’t speak on other Banfields. I don’t want to write much more but this is making me, great staff great doctors and great manager
Stressful and unsustainable
Veterinary Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 14, 2019
To understaffed for such a busy hospital. Manager had no training and was not supportive of new employees. Had to frequently excuse myself to breathe and calm down. Was told I was tacky by the manager in front of a bunch of clients. It was humiliating and unprofessional. Unrealistic expectations and constant gossip from the manager about other employees and what they did wrong. Bad mouthing my coworkers constantly behind their back. Uncomfortable and unpleasant. I really enjoyed the veterinarians, however. Front desk staff were not treated fairly by the hospital overall. I resigned for health reasons caused by stress.
Pros
Decent pay, enjoyed helping animals
Cons
Too stressful, no support from management, verbally humiliated in front of clients
Open office environment, great place to work!
Sr. Build & Release Engineer - Confidential (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WAMarch 13, 2019
Banfield has a beautiful new office building in Vancouver, WA. It has been a great place to work! I have had much autonomy in my assignments and have worked for managers that do not micromanage me.
Pros
job variety, autonomy, keeps up with latest technology
Cons
health care is high-deductible
Great for learning on the job but high volume, very stressful
Veterinary Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZMarch 12, 2019
Banfield has provided me with knowledge about the veterinary health field with little knowledge previously. But once you retain that knowledge and use it to prove your worth, you don’t really get much compensation or recognition. The hours are long and open 7 days a week.
There are only a few coworkers that work as hard as you and the ones that don’t don’t get reprimanded for slacking. It’s frustrating and doesn’t appear to be changing soon.
Also, it’s all about selling the wellness plans. I don’t like feeling like a used car salesman and being told by clients that I don’t care about their pets and rather want to sell them something that they feel they aren’t going to use. This is not why I got into this field.

I’m grateful for Banfield giving me the knowledge I needed to be a great employee in the veterinary field but would like to be appreciated for the hard work I have put into it.
Pros
Benefits and PTO for full time positions, learning on the job, cross training
Cons
Expect to work weekends, being called in, picking up the slack, being treated like a number
A good introduction into the field
Veterinary Assistant (Current Employee) –  Foothill Ranch, CAMarch 8, 2019
Working for Banfield can be anywhere from fast paced to slow, depending on the staff and doctors on your team it can be fun and a good place to gain experience and start learning what its like working in the veterinary community.
Quanity not quality
Veterinary Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington StateMarch 7, 2019
I love working with animals and I love that this company provides on the job training. However, they are really only interested in numbers, how many pets are seen in a day or how many wellness plans you sell. It's really disheartening to know that they don't see you as a person just another number. It is almost impossible to move up unless you are friends with management.
I dont even feel comfortable bringing my own pet as the veterinarians are very unprofesional with staffs pets and always have a bad attitude like we are wasting their time. Most of the vets I have worked with act like they are too good to do simple tasks even to grab blood work results they are looking for from the printer. Dont be surprised if your in the middle of doing diagnostics for a room when the vet is yelling at you for not starting the next room even if they were just checked in. Like I said quanity not quality. Also have been told that my opinion doesnt matter because im not a veterinarian. Not all vets are like this if your fortunate enough to get into a hospital with vets only concerned for pets and not just their wallets. I have worked with vets that have added unnecessary charges to patient treatment plans so they can make their quotas.
They also allow their own corporate staff to treat hospital staff poorly. I dont know how many times the associates at my hospital have been verbally abused by corporate associates because of something that is not under their control. They feel that laws do not apply to them and if we cant see their pet immediately because we are fully booked they complain
  more... until we are told to get them in anyway even above sick pets.
You can technically be full time but still get part time hours. This job is not based on performance at all it's all favoritism.
If you want a job where you will not have any chance to excel, want to be talked down to and treated like your stupid, and stressed and overworked with no appreciation this is the job for you.
Pros
Wellness plans for your pets
Cons
Only cares about quanity not quality
amazing company
Customer Service Coordinator/ Veterinary Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lauderhill, FLMarch 6, 2019
amazing company, great benefits, great coworkers, couldn't have asked for a better workplace. you get the good and bad clients but overall good clients. they are more than happy to teach you everything.
it was a fun place to work excpecially if you loved to work with animals
Veterinarian Assistant (Former Employee) –  Darien, ILMarch 5, 2019
if you love animals this is the place for you but it is a very high pace place and very demanding the insurance was a lot of money for what was offered and with a high deductable
Pros
free aniaml care for your own pets
Cons
very fast paced
Decent place to work
Customer Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSMarch 4, 2019
Decent place to work. Pay is very bad, need to increae salary to keep talented workers. I like the people I worked with they were all very passionate about helping animals. The hours were nice because you only have to work 4 day shifts at 10 hours.
Pros
Great doctors, caring staff, great Hours
Cons
Bad pay, not PTO
Okay place to work
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLMarch 3, 2019
Left due to moving to another state, new management came in and tried to make it all about the money and not about patient care. There was no organization to the clinic. Always chaos.
Good company to work for
Client Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Ocean, NJMarch 1, 2019
Great learning experience and fun place to work. I enjoy the people I work with. I can be fast paced and stressful at times. My location is a very busy hospital.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Banfield Pet Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Banfield Pet Hospital.

Powered by Comparably