Banfield Pet Hospital Employee Reviews

Found 1,586 reviews matching the search See all 1,590 reviews
High Stress - decent pay.
Collections Agent (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WANovember 11, 2018
This is a call center (relocated to Vancouver WA from Portland Or) job that likely will start you as a Collections Agent. The job is not easy to learn and the majority of phone calls are high stress - though maybe not as bad as working at the phone company. Can make decent money if you put your mind into learning the Wellness Plans, contracts, etc. Advancement is entirely based on how much money you can collect. Prepare to see existing managers & supervisors changing/trading jobs like socks while you trudge away doing the same job year after year.
Better CEO than you are probably used to but your direct supervisor is likely not going to make your life any easier.
Pros
Job Security and Benefits
Cons
Advancement, Job Culture
Long hours - poor management
Customer Service Coordinator Shift Lead (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCNovember 5, 2018
I started with Banfield and loved working for the company. The days were long and there is never a set schedule. I moved to another state and transferred to another Banfield. The current location has incredibly poor management and scheduling is very unpredictable. There is no work-life balance. It is nearly impossible to request time off and if there is accrued PTO, it can be used by the manager without the permission/request from the employee. The benefits are good. The best part of the job is getting to play with the animals that come in for appointments.
Pros
Employee benefits
Cons
Poor management, no consistency
Great place as a stepping stone on Vet medicine career
Practice Manager (Former Employee) –  Monrovia, CAOctober 28, 2018
Banfield as a whole has a great idea about what they want to offer to pet parents in the way of preventative care. Sadly, if you're in the management aspect of this company, the likelihood of you feeling appreciated and valued is minimal. With being one of the major Veterinary practices in the nation, you would like that they would be able to afford manager to work in a manager role and not have to worry about their weekly hours being apart of a para hours budget for the week. Managing a hospital while being required to be in role as a technician or receptionist every day that you're on staff does not set a manager up for success to do the job that the manager is intended to do, nor allow for a proper work-life balance. Managers are not valued for the amount of work that they are required to accomplish based on the job description.
Pros
discounts with several pet vendors (petsmart, royal canin), wellness plans, benefits
Cons
Company cares mostly about money, not associates and pets
I do not recommend working at Banfield
Practice Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 26, 2018
Although I fully believe in the benefits of having their pet healthcare plans, my experience as a Practice Manager at Banfield - Charlotte was the worst experience of my professional career.
This location was privately owned, the person in charge was an ill-equipped family member of the owner and was verbally abusive; literally screamed at me in front of the staff and customers and would not communicate regularly on the business or staff needs. Every hour of every day was required at the front desk, as I was not allowed to be involved in operations. I had years of related experience with a privately owned vet practice, making me fully capable of the tasks required. I have never been treated so poorly by a supervisor.
Pros
Employee discounts, tight and hardworking team
Cons
Long hours, meeting high quotas, lack of support by mgmt.
Good opportunity for learning
Veterinary Assistant/Technician (Current Employee) –  Salinas, CAOctober 23, 2018
I enjoy working with the kind and knowledgeable associates at Banfield Pet Hospitals. There are always opportunities to learn more via both direct verbal education and literature within company websites. However, these hospitals tend to be cramped, cluttered, and disorganized somewhat.
Also, with the pet care plans Banfield offer its clients, there are a limited number of services/diagnostics. I feel these are rendered as preventative to excess, leaving the client and pet without such benefits at a later time when they truly need them.
Pros
Opportunity to work with healthy pets. Also, overtime hours were rarely asked of me.
Cons
Software program is not "user-friendly' in my opinion and high turn over with upper management.
You are just a number
Practice Manager (Current Employee) –  VirginiaSeptember 28, 2018
There is no room for advancement they prefer to hire specifically former Starbucks and CVS employees. There is zero support from leadership outside of the hospital and any type of work life balance is strictly geared towards doctors. They have high demands for revenue, growth and profitability however doctors refuse to see pets and complain a good part of the day about how much they hate their job. Doctors are not held to the same standards as the associates. Awful place to work!
Benefits
Cons
Work life balance, negative attitudes, certain staff are not held accountable, continuous work towards a number
October 18, 2018

Your feedback is important to us and we thank you for taking the time to share your perspective. We're sorry to read about your experience but if you are open to discussing it in further detail, we would love the opportunity to learn more so we can better support you. We encourage you to contact our Associate Relations Team at 866-341-8841 and choose the option for your region. Thank you for your ongoing contribution to our practice.

Great start for Vet field
Veterinary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VA, USNovember 30, 2018
I would get there in the morning and we would all get coffee and just start working. We worked as a team and made sure we all pulled our weight and helping others if they were struggling too. It can be competitive, but it was still good, because we made each other better. It was predictable but interesting every time. I would say you would have to be fast in getting in and out of patient rooms to have high turnover for animals to be seen. At the end of the day it was about numbers and sometimes it's good but it can be a little stressful. If your good worker, that's fine, but a fast worker is what they would prefer. So catch on or you will drown in this fast pace environment.
Pros
Benefits, pay, team, getting experience, education program investment
Cons
better Health care benefits
Temporary job for new grads
Associate Veterinarian (Current Employee) –  FayettevilleAugust 20, 2018
Working with Banfield, i always knew i would just be there temporarily. I used to be a technician but working as a doctor there has been unremarkably stressful and it doesn’t appear to be a huge concern for administration due to an extremely high turnover. It helps that the salary is competitive when being a new grad with an excessive amount of loans to pay but that gets old really easy when you’re exhausted and are forced to give half the attention you’re used to because of the numbers they expect you to crank out. It becomes extremely frustrating and I am currently searching for a way out.
Pros
Healthcare benefits, competitive salary for recent graduates
Cons
Lack of work life balance, lack of compensation in salary for time worked
September 29, 2018

We’re sorry to hear that your experience hasn’t as positive as it could be because it's important to us that you feel support every day you walk through the hospital doors. Have you shared your concerns with your practice manager and/or field leadership? If not, we encourage you to do so. Our Associate Relations team is also available and can be reached at (866) 341-4481. We would appreciate the opportunity to work with you towards a solution.

--- Banfield Pet Hospital

Co-workers make it worth it
Shift Lead (Current Employee) –  TXAugust 7, 2018
I am fortunate enough to be working with a great group of people. In your hospitals the staff, doctors, and practice manager makes or breaks a place. The new upper management has lost focused, but I believe it will come back to what it should be. They are focused on pet #s instead of the quality of medicine. They give us problems without solutions and just expect things to change without giving us the tools. WIth hard work and persistence it will all work out. Banfield needs to realize that a happy staff will translate into happy clients. When they increase the wages are add incentives for the VA/VTs and CsCs they will see a big difference.
Pros
Great co-workers, caring doctors, decent benefits, Pto
Cons
Hard schedule, bad work life balance, poor training, no incentives
September 29, 2018

Thank you for leaving your feedback. While we are glad to hear that you work with a great team, we welcome the opportunity to address the concerns you raised. We encourage you to share your feedback with your practice manager and/or field leadership. If you need additional support, you can connect with our Associate Relations team at (866) 341-4481, choose the option for your region. We appreciate you and your dedication to our practice!

--- Banfield Pet Hospital

Lots of growth with a great team
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  San Bernardino, CANovember 8, 2018
Every day is a little different and there isn't really a "typical day". It is part of what makes it great. I've learned so much about veterinary medicine while working for this company and I'm only learning more as time progresses. My manager is the best and is constantly watching our backs, even though she is often off working on secondary assignments (because she's awesome). The culture is one of collaboration and appreciation. My hospital is currently working on improving our workplace satisfaction by getting to know each other better and being there for each other more often. This is important in any medical field, because things can get stressful quickly. The hardest part of the job is definitely the pets that we aren't able to help, or the clients that wont let us help. But the best part of the job is that there's never really a bad day with sweet pets and a great team there to support you.
Pros
great benefits, growth and development, training, annual raises, strong team culture
Cons
stressful environment, euthanasia is a thing, angry/emotional clients
On the job training, but management is the worse
Receptionist/Vet Tech (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAAugust 4, 2018
I worked at Banfield for a very long time. I had an AMAZING manager when I first worked there, however once she left we got stuck with a horrible, horrible manager.

The culture of Banfield is to see as many pets as possible in a day. We tried to trim our schedule in Santa Cruz so we could see pets, but also give them the quality of care. Uppers didn’t care and just pushed how we needed to be making more and more money.

I was denied time off for a family emergency (my uncle was DYING of stage 4 liver failure and was given 48 hours to live), then when I was emotional about it was told I would be written up “if I didn’t shape up”. I have never experience this from an employer ever.

Hard work will get you no where as well. I busted my butt everyday I came in, yet raises were extremely difficult to get. I also worked with a very abusice doctor, to which no one did anything about.
Pros
Okay discounts for my pets, fun team
Cons
Management sucked
CSC position work load unreasonable
CUSTOMER SERVICE COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Monroe, NCOctober 21, 2018
Too much phone work 90% of the time. Calling owners time and time again to get them to schedule appointments was border line harassment.The clinic I worked at had a horrible phone system that you could not hear the customer due to humming in the line due to technical issues that did not get addressed. The ability to spend quality time with the pet owner was not adequate. Separation between front end and back end resulting in lack of team work. Work load was solely driven by numbers and $$. The amount of time the vet and the pet/owner was minimal. The staff I worked with did the best they could and were very helpful to front end. The CSC was the bad guy and the VT/VA/Vet were always the good guy. Maybe other clinics had a better workplace culture but the one I worked at was very stressful and not a fun place to work.
Pros
Benefits and discounts
Cons
Lack of staffing versus workload, driven by numbers, no teamwork between front end/back end. Poor training.
Different, but good experience.
Client Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Bowie, MDNovember 1, 2018
Banfield Pet Hopsital is a great place to work! The location I was at was very family-like, and the doctors were very easily approachable. They focus on preventative medicine which explains the wellness plans. Although some don’t see the value in them, I do. Coming from a general practice where a client would easily dish out $400-$1000 for just one visit, the idea of breaking this into monthly installments makes it more affordable and convenient. The biggest issue that I have with this company is that they claim to focus a lot on “quality”. The company is too fond of drop off appointments, so that deboggles the quality of care due to the chaos it creates. There needs to be more structure and focus on the ambiguity within the company. The training could use improvements as well. eLearnings are not an effective way of training for many. There should be set training guides for each position of the hospital. The management at my location was very patient, understanding, and genuine. I would definitely recommend to a friend!
Pros
Hour lunch, pay, benefits, and culture
Cons
Long hours, drop offs, training, and structure
Decent starting place
Veterinary Assistant (Current Employee) –  TexasSeptember 28, 2018
Got hired out of school, not a bad place to start to learn how to do the basics vaccines, blood draw, etc..., but Banfield doesn't generally go beyond preventative care. Which is fine, until you want more. Management depends on where you go, I've had great PM's and then subpar PM's, not every Banfield is the same as the last one you worked at. I also work 12 hour days and sometimes get a lunch, so it gets difficult with family life outside of work itself on occasion.

In all honesty, in this field most places you go the pay will suck...unless you go into specialty or get really lucky.
benefits
Cons
long work days, occasional skipped lunches, low pay, hard to move up
October 18, 2018

Thank you for the feedback. We appreciate your hard work and dedication to our practice.

--- Banfield Pet Hospital

Banfield over all is good to work for
Everything (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 8, 2018
Great place to work. Preventive care for animals and educating the clients is awesome. The problem is that I feel the upper management picks the wrong people to be Practice managers. They have so much talent waiting in the wings and there are assoicates leaving left and right. The staff are afraid to say anything because ot comes right back down the line to you so no one speaks up for fear of being mistreated at work. Nothing is confidential. Now everyone is miserable, no one is happy, it is really sad because so many wonderful people have left because of this. The animals and benefits are great!
Pros
Benefits! Wellness plans food discounts
Cons
Lack of trust unexperienced managers micro mangement
October 18, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We know how important open communication is between our associates and their practice manager and/or field leaders especially when it comes to defining career goals. We're sorry to hear about the concerns you have experience and would like the opportunity to address them. We encourage you to contact the Associate Relations (AR) team at (866) 341-8841, then choose the option for your region. Thank you for your commitment to our practice!

---Banfield Pet Hospital

Decent pay and Benefits Poor management skills
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 5, 2018
The manager doesn't care what happens in the hospital when they're not there. The training time was mostly spent on the computer watching videos, then thrown to the wolves "sink or swim" when the training period was up. Many of the employees have a " not my job" attitude, its hard to find extra help. The Hospital is short staffed, if anyone calls off the whole team is screwed. The Hospital also has a high no so rate; Doctors are overbooked to make up for it, but slammed if everyone shows up. Overall I wouldn't recommend working there, was hired full time, rarely reached 40 hours. Overtime is never an option. Be prepared to carry the weight of the customer service team, (since the manager could care less) until you're burnt out and don't care like everyone else. Hope you smoke, that's the only way you'll ever get a break besides your lunch.

The job really isn't that hard, but terrible management and poor staff makes the whole thing not worth it
Pros
decent benefits
Cons
One break for lunch, inconsistent schedule
Low pay for the difficulty and stress of work, unable to please manager
Certified Veterinary Technician (Former Employee) –  Tualatin, OROctober 15, 2018
Pay was inappropriately low for the duties and compared to other vets in the same area, but the health and pet benefits were good. Almost impossible to meet the sales goals constantly being strived for. Packing too many pets into not enough time left all the staff extremely stressed 100% of the time and caused people to lash out at each other frequently from the stress. Not a cohesive team, likely due to the stress of overcrowding the schedule constantly every day. It is possible these problems were just this one Banfield hospital and not all Banfield hospitals.
Pros
Good pet benefits, but taken out of our taxes
Cons
very stressful and overworked, orvercrowded schedules
Bad management and hours
Client Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Cedar Park, TXAugust 13, 2018
This place is a hot mess, bad bad management, and poor work culture. Most of the Vetenarians are spoiled and complain about their job every single day. They are also rude and disrespectful. The work hours are very long since this facility is open 7 days a week, expect not to have a life. The manager was unsympathetic, manipulating and would literally force employees into covering shifts by putting then on a guilt trip. I put in my two weeks notice as a courtesy, the manager asked me to work till the end of the pay period despite my two weeks notice. This individual went as far as threatening me to give me a bad recommendation if I did not cover the remaining of my scheduled shifts that would go past my two weeks. I’m still getting calls and sarcastic voicemails from the manager, totally unprofessional and disrespectful. Runaway, this place is horrible as they have a high employee turnover. Most of the employees hate their job and their manager.
Benefits
Cons
If you truly care for animals, do not work here
Veterinary Assistant (Former Employee) –  MichiganOctober 15, 2018
I was interviewed at Banfield and honestly thankful they did not hire me. Firstly, their "hospital" is in a pet store. That was my first red flag. Next, they are "preventative care focused" and if you know anything about the field it means they are basically a flea, heartworm, and tick pusher. Expect your job here to be numbers based and focused on pushing flea, tick, and heartworm medications on patients more than anything else.

If you are interested in seeking a job that is based on actual clinical work and not based off of wellness package sales and preventative medication sales, skip working here. Do not waste your time applying.
Pros
Decent benefits
Cons
Corporate focused
I learned a lot
Veterinary Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLSeptember 19, 2018
It is definitely a great place to learn more skills, especially if you are new to being in the veterinary world. All together I actually really like working for Banfield. Recently transferred to a new location and the new management was not properly trained for a new hospital, so it reflected on their staff. If management was better, work would have been a more enjoyable place to be.
Pros
Free Pet healthcare, to an extent. Great Insurance options
Cons
Management, raises.
October 18, 2018

Thank you for sharing your positive experience as a Veterinary Assistant. We appreciate your dedication to our clients and their pets!

--- Banfield Pet Hospital

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Banfield Pet Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Banfield Pet Hospital.

Powered by Comparably