Banfield Pet Hospital Employee Reviews

Found 1,529 reviews matching the search See all 1,533 reviews
great way to have an internship
Veterinary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Federal Way, WAOctober 17, 2018
Banfield was a great learning experience and really helped me develop my skills. I was able to do x rays on pets, assist in labs, quarantine animals who needed it, assist in dental procedures, provide routine care for animals coming out of anesthesia.
Depends on who you work with
CVT (Former Employee) –  IllinoisOctober 16, 2018
Mangement is terrible and doesnt care about the team. Its all about the numbers. However i loved all my coworkers and they taught me alot. Pay is not the greastest but they do offer PTO and health insurance
Low pay for the difficulty and stress of work, unable to please manager
Certified Veterinary Technician (Former Employee) –  Tualatin, OROctober 15, 2018
Pay was inappropriately low for the duties and compared to other vets in the same area, but the health and pet benefits were good. Almost impossible to meet the sales goals constantly being strived for. Packing too many pets into not enough time left all the staff extremely stressed 100% of the time and caused people to lash out at each other frequently from the stress. Not a cohesive team, likely due to the stress of overcrowding the schedule constantly every day. It is possible these problems were just this one Banfield hospital and not all Banfield hospitals.
Pros
Good pet benefits, but taken out of our taxes
Cons
very stressful and overworked, orvercrowded schedules
If you truly care for animals, do not work here
Veterinary Assistant (Former Employee) –  MichiganOctober 15, 2018
I was interviewed at Banfield and honestly thankful they did not hire me. Firstly, their "hospital" is in a pet store. That was my first red flag. Next, they are "preventative care focused" and if you know anything about the field it means they are basically a flea, heartworm, and tick pusher. Expect your job here to be numbers based and focused on pushing flea, tick, and heartworm medications on patients more than anything else.

If you are interested in seeking a job that is based on actual clinical work and not based off of wellness package sales and preventative medication sales, skip working here. Do not waste your time applying.
Pros
Decent benefits
Cons
Corporate focused
Stress
Veterinary Technician (Former Employee) –  Gurnee, ILOctober 14, 2018
Very high stress environment. Understaffing and overbooking creates a very stressful and exhausting work environment. Management is terrible and the higher ups only care about what the dr’s want. Technicians are used and abused, zero respect. Underpaid in comparison to other hospitals in the area. Since being bought by Mars, the candy company, money is the primary concern and the constant price increases and staffing cuts make it difficult for many people to get the care their pets need. Equipment is old and cheap and constantly breaking. Seniority means nothing, if you’re friends with management, that’s how you get promoted. Not a good place to work.
Pros
Free wellness plan
Not a fun workplace
Client Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Mansfield, TXOctober 14, 2018
This specific location just has zero teamwork employees. Everyone at this location does not take any effort into helping new employees feel welcomed at all. Other locations are fine regardless if they help very much, but at least they are friendly and have a teamwork environment.
Employees are just worker ants.
Veterinary Assistant (Current Employee) –  TexasOctober 12, 2018
Employees are nothing but "para hours" and numbers. You are nothing more than how much overtime you are willing to give for as little pay as possible. You are expected to work well beyond when your shift ends and are made to feel guilty any time you are sick or need a day off. Any planned time off needs to be made over 4 weeks in advance, which is near impossible for a lot of situations. There is zero work-home balance. Oftentimes the employees are overworked due to being short-staffed because management is driving to improved numbers, and this puts moral at an all time low. They claim to try and promote from within but management doesn't give you the time of day.
Environment makes it worth it
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Levittown, NYOctober 10, 2018
Its okay for a starting receptionist job and experience, work load is high for the compensation. Lack of raises. However, seeing pets and building relationships is enjoyable
Pros
Pto, wellness plans
Cons
No raised, low salary, short staffed
pleasant work environment
VETERNARY ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 9, 2018
the job is very high paced but the management is fair and very involved. as with any job there was some drama between employees on occasion but overall it was a very pleasant work environment.
Pros
free lunches, free services for employees
Cons
short breaks
Great place to start your career
SHIFT LEAD (Current Employee) –  Lexington, SCOctober 9, 2018
Excellent health benefits; hands-on training; personal and career development; great doctors who are patient and willing to teach; can be "numbers" oriented;
bad
Client Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Estero, FLOctober 9, 2018
bad experience all around. promises to learn were not kept and passed over. It was a humiliating experience for me. I would not attempt to work here just for the pets, not unless you like to embellish the benefits of leaving them all day and then see them mistreated and forgotten about. Nice combo.
Great Place to Work and Grow
Veterinary Technician (Current Employee) –  Decatur, GAOctober 8, 2018
Banfield offers a great place to teach you the needed skills you need to become a great Veterinary Assistant.

And if you choose to further your position they offer outstanding assistance in that too.

They also offer State of the Art Anesthesia protocols to assist in the medical and surgical training pf the canine and feline patient.
Great employees. Willing to teach you everything you need to know.
Veterinary Technician (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, TNOctober 8, 2018
I loved working there. Animals are my passion and being able to help in any way that I can warms my heart and makes me feel like i’m doing something good in the world. I would love to get back into it.
Pros
Helping animals.
Good place to start off, not long term
Veterinary Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 7, 2018
I would recommend Banfield as a place to get discounts on pet wellness plans, it has pretty good paid time off and holiday pay at time and a half, do not recommend a long term career with Banfield however. At Banfield the hours are long, stressful, fast paced, sometimes a bit too fast paced when time is needed to get laboratory results in, patient notes etc. It is very numbers based, it is repeated about results on getting pets signed up on wellness plans, I previously felt like I was forcing wellness plans on people, i have since stopped pushing them so much. Its a job that is very difficult on the body too. Animals lashing out, scratching and biting, constantly lifting pets weighing too much up on the exam table when there is no one around to help or when we get understaffed, also depending on which doctors are there, some will help you others watch you struggle with what you are doing. I guess it depends on who you work with. But we are constantly running around with too much on our plates with no time to get it done and later having meetings about not doing enough. I am currently looking for work elsewhere.
Pros
Hour lunch, Pto, wellness plans
Cons
Very stressful, aggressive cats/dogs, difficult on the body
Decent pay and Benefits Poor management skills
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 5, 2018
The manager doesn't care what happens in the hospital when they're not there. The training time was mostly spent on the computer watching videos, then thrown to the wolves "sink or swim" when the training period was up. Many of the employees have a " not my job" attitude, its hard to find extra help. The Hospital is short staffed, if anyone calls off the whole team is screwed. The Hospital also has a high no so rate; Doctors are overbooked to make up for it, but slammed if everyone shows up. Overall I wouldn't recommend working there, was hired full time, rarely reached 40 hours. Overtime is never an option. Be prepared to carry the weight of the customer service team, (since the manager could care less) until you're burnt out and don't care like everyone else. Hope you smoke, that's the only way you'll ever get a break besides your lunch.

The job really isn't that hard, but terrible management and poor staff makes the whole thing not worth it
Pros
decent benefits
Cons
One break for lunch, inconsistent schedule
Horrific in every way
Veterinarian (Former Employee) –  ColoradoOctober 5, 2018
Promises, promises! Mentoring is not as promised, unreasonable amounts of patients per day, can’t turn away walk-ins even if you are in surgery, no time for a lunch break but you are required to clock out, continue working, then clock back in. Supposed PTO but to take days off you are expected to work extra days for other doctors. Poor work culture-welcome back to junior high! Factory medicine, better off working in a factory....at least you are paid for the hours worked, you receive actual breaks, and receive actual days off. A large part of your day is selling wellness plans. Good luck meeting production.... ridiculous math! Pay is based on production; as an example, you receive $0 production for exams on patients on wellness plans! Minimum $2400 billed services/ day. if not, you guessed it- not meeting production! Further, you are forced to push all sorts of ad ons, many increase hospital revenue but add nothing to your daily production. Sense a trend? Absolutely, money is everything to this company! Yes, I said company, quite a stretch to call it a practice. And oh, couldn’t meet production because of the fuzzy math? Base pay shrinks! Better no job than this. Corporate medicine is destroying our profession.
Pros
Benefit package
Cons
Forced to practice substandard medicine
great experience
Vet Technician (Former Employee) –  Flower Mound, TXOctober 3, 2018
Banfield is a wonderful company to work for, They offer wonderful experience and give you great options and places to advance in the field. If you love animals and don't mind working hard this is a great job for you.
Not Ideal
Receptionist (CSC) (Current Employee) –  Morrisville, NCOctober 3, 2018
Low pay for way too much work, hours varied too much from week to week. Not allowed to work over time. Over all not a secure position. The is not a whole lot that I enjoyed about this job.
Csc
Receptionist/ Vet Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 2, 2018
Client Service Coordinator/ Receptionist/ Vet Assistant
Greeted clients, determined daily priorities, created Invoices, billed clients, created computerized demographics charts, provided quality customer service, troubleshoot, resolved issues regarding services rendered, monitored and controlled clientele influx, provided preliminary care for pets such as vitals and specimens for lab work, assisted with surgery and medical procedures, answered telephones, scheduled appointments, retrieved electronic files.
loved my coworkers
Veterinary Technician (Former Employee) –  Tigard, ORSeptember 28, 2018
The patients and the good co-workers are why i stayed so long, the bad co-workers and the horrible pay are why i had to finally leave. I learned a lot from this job.
Official response from Banfield Pet Hospital
October 18, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We appreciate the feedback and wish you the best in your future endeavors.

--- Banfield Pet Hospital

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Banfield Pet Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight