Banfield Pet Hospital Employee Reviews

Great benefits Poor Corporate
Pet Nurse (Former Employee) –  Conyers, GAJune 8, 2018
I enjoyed working for Banfield for 5 years before I moved on to working an emergency veterinary medicine. My issue with this company was mainly corporate based. This can be both a good thing and a bad thing. Good in the sentence they can offer very good benefits but bad in the sense that they don't focus as much on the people that work in the individual hospitals. They are very much numbers driven. They also don't tend to support the staff as much as they should and will cater very heavily to disgruntled clients even if it means throwing their own people under the bus which I find to be inappropriate.
Nice place to work
technician (Former Employee) –  Morehead City, NCJune 7, 2018
Working at two different banfield a gave me great experience with an option to better myself. Management always looked out for us and if there was a problem he/she would handle it. I worked at both a stand alone and pet smart banfield a.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Low salary
Stressful, unhappy, micro-managed place to work!
Client Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXMay 29, 2018
Banfield Hospital is a full service vet clinic ran like a retail store. Metrics are first and foremost. Not one time on the job did I ever hear anything about quality pet care. Their main concern is seeing as many pets in a day as possible, even when the doctor's say they cannot handle anymore. Management has absolutely no experience working in an animal clinic. Their most important focus, which is rammed down associates throats on a daily basis, is selling their Optimum Wellnes Plans. Associates are rated on their performance on how many they sell OWP's. 60% of the associates job performance plans are rated by their sells. The work environment is unwelcoming and very negative. And, there was absolutely no room for advancement. But most importantly, the quality of care and concern for the pets is not even a part of the company statement.
Pros
3 free Optimum Wellness Plans for personal pets
Cons
Poor health care benefits, working retail hours, stressful to meet metric goals.
Reception/Vet Tech
Veterinary Assistant/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INMay 24, 2018
The culture was very stressful. The veterinarian also ran the franchise and was very cold to her employees. I really enjoyed working with the clients and their pets but had to leave due to the stressful environment the veterinarian made.
Pros
The pets of course
Cons
Extremely stressful environment
Fun place to work loved my manager
Veterinary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Parker, COMay 24, 2018
I loved working for this Banfield and the company in general. I loved my manager and all of my coworkers. I wish I could have stayed there but the cost of living was far too high in the state.
Pros
Good benefits, wonderful manager and amazing doctors and techs
Cons
Pay wasn't keeping up with cost of living
June 18, 2018

Your review and feedback is greatly appreciated. We wish you success in your future endeavors.

Pet Care Nurse
Pet Care Nurse (Former Employee) –  Pembroke Pines, FLMay 23, 2018
The pay might not be enough for the area I lived in, but to the learning experience is complements with the pay, I still used some of the skills i learned through working with Banfield; such as, vaccines, some of the medical treatments, nail cut, glands, shave, how to restrain pets and control whomever pet bite, x-rays and a bunch of other things. Working there was awesome because everyone knew each other and apart from work we got together as a team.
Pros
Pet discount
Cons
not enough pay for the area lived
June 18, 2018

Providing an environment where associates can develop, advance, and pursue their passion is important to us. We're glad to hear we have played an important role in your development. Thank you for your review and we wish you much success!

Awesome
Veterinary Assistant (Current Employee) –  Elk Grove, CAMay 23, 2018
Though i have only worked there a few months the staff is incredible. We have team meeting every day. the manager is always involved and there is plenty of learning
June 18, 2018

We are delighted to hear about your positive experience with us. Thank you for your review.

--- Banfield Pet Hospital

Fun if your into corporate
Veterinary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lake Oswego, ORMay 23, 2018
I loved my job here. Everyone at all the hospitals I worked at were always welcoming and kind. The clients were usually pretty kind and greatful. The environment was amazing due to our hospital being the largest on the west coast market. I helped out other clinics around town and they were more than excited to have the help. My coworkers were awesome. Only downside, there can be a bit of drama when you're working with a lot of females. There is also a downside to the fact that they watch your numbers like a hawk. They need you to meet a certain amount for wellness plan sign ups. There are great benefits to the those plans though.
Pros
Benefits, paid time off, great environment, welcoming kind employees
Cons
Management is harsh, secret adgendas to hire/fire without warning, numbers game
June 18, 2018

Thank you for leaving your review.

employees are not appreciated
Customer Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Round Rock, TXMay 21, 2018
The company claims to care about the employees, but obviously doesn't - this is shown by how hard they work their employees and do not pay well, with minimal benefits. Promotions and raises are very political, and for management positions they often hire from outside instead of hiring from within the company first.
Pros
the people I work with truly care about animals
Cons
The company says it cares about it's employees, but doesn't. are expected to work unpredictable schedule 7 days a week, work all holidays except Christmas and Thanksgiving day, work 12 hour shifts, not compensated well financially for as hard as you are worked.
Banfield Pet Hospital Review
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vienna, VAMay 21, 2018
My experience at Banfield Pet Hospital has been fantastic. There was a learning curve that I went into head first and was eager to acquire all of the skills it took to keep our branch thriving and providing a quality experience for all of our clients.
June 18, 2018

Thank you for your review. We are glad that you are part of our team!

Dynamic environment
Practice Manager (Current Employee) –  Littleton, COMay 20, 2018
Always changing environment allows for great professional growth and training. Can be difficult managing Doctors as they don't directly report to you.
June 18, 2018

We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts. Thank you for all that you do for our practice.

Great learning experience
VETERINARY ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COMay 20, 2018
Worked through an unpaid externship as part of my schooling from PIMA Medical Institute. Assist vet techs and vets with exams. Do labs such as fecals, UAs and blood work. Some laundry. Sterilization of exam tools and equipment. Clean hospital as needed.
Pros
Fun, enjoyable place to work
Cons
Externship
June 18, 2018

We are glad that you had a positive and enjoyable externship experience with Banfield. Stay connected with us and we hope to see you again soon! Wishing you much success in your studies and future career.

--- Banfield Pet Hospital

Not recommended for employment or as a vet clinic.
Veterinary Assistant (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaMay 18, 2018
As a whole, the company seems to be more concerned with numbers/money than providing excellent care to patients/clients. The environment is stressful and disorganized. Harassment is common, and excepted, from other employees and management. Even though issues were addressed on numerous occasions, including patient(s) suffering/death, medical misfeasance is excepted from the medical director. The Georgia Veterinary Practice Law is discarded daily by all employees including management/doctors. Patients may or may not be examined appropriately depending on the daily schedule. As a place to work, Banfield is recommended for anyone that is only interested in a paycheck and not concerned for their mental health. If one can stomach seemingly daily misfeasance, harassment, etc, then this is the place for you.
Do not go into Banfield if you have a love of animals.
Shift Lead (Former Employee) –  Dallas County, TXMay 18, 2018
This 'vet hospital' chain is owned by a candy company. As such it is focused only on profit and the bottom line. This is not to say that the doctors and staff are not competent and wonderful people. Upper management is out of touch with the employees and have little to no regard for the happiness of their employees. I was told by upper management that 'I and everyone else was replaceable and I should keep that in mind." They do have some pretty good benefits if you can get over giving your life to this soul sucking corporate mess.
Benefits
Cons
Long and hard work hours, little reward
Terrible management
Client Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMay 17, 2018
The manager was absolutely terrible. She was very picky and rude. She had her favorites and if you weren’t one she would make you miserable. She spoke to employees very rudely and as if she was better than us.
It's okay
Client Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 17, 2018
It was an okay place to work until I began to be treated differently from everyone. I had me right to sit down, taken away, while everyone in the hospital sat down and completed their job.
June 18, 2018

Thank you for your review. We encourage to speak with you PM about your concerns. Good communication creates positive team synergy. Your hard work is appreciated.

Fast-paced, heavy traffic
Client Services Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Cary, NCMay 16, 2018
I am currently working at Banfield. My location is extremely fast-paced and we are always booked. Management can improve. I love my job and i enjoy the benefits I get.
June 18, 2018

We appreciate your kind review and all that you do for your practice.

--- Banfield Pet Hospital

Best as a stepping stone
Veterinary Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Coral Springs, FLMay 14, 2018
This company is more concerned about the number of pets seen a day than they are concerned about how their "numbers" infringe on the quality of care they give to each pet. They stress their doctors to the point of leaving due to vital staff being cut but requiring more productivity. If your career is for pets whether it's as a certified technician or assistant or receptionist or even veterinarian - this is a great place to train for those skill sets as they provide paid on the job training but take those skills and go somewhere else.
Pros
Hour lunch break, free wellness plans, Pto
Cons
poor upper management and work culture
Great Place to Work
PCA; Pet Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCMay 14, 2018
I learned a lot in the short time I was there. Military relocation is the only reason I quit. Would recommend working with a bigger company like Banfield.
June 18, 2018

Thank you for sharing your experience! Our large network of hospitals makes it easy to find a job or transfer to another location. We hope to see you again at another Banfield Hospital location. All the best to you!

very structured
ASSOCIATE VETERINARIAN (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAMay 12, 2018
Structured environment, to fit in multiple patients and clients in a given day. Attempts to provide best care to all patients or to refer to a specialist if necessary.
Pros
Hospital closes at night - no after hours
Cons
room to advance is limited by geography
June 18, 2018

Your review and perspective is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

--- Banfield Pet Hospital

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Banfield Pet Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

3.7Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight