Banfield Pet Hospital Employee Reviews

Banfield Review
Veterinary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILFebruary 6, 2018
I learned everything I know about animal medicine from Banfield and the employees that I worked aside. This company has standards of a fast-paced/collaborative work environment. The most enjoyable part of the job for me, was satisfying clients about their Pet's needs/health.
Pros
Vacation Time
Cons
Upper Management didnt seem to care about employees as they should have
low pay, great benefits
Veterinary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lexington, SCFebruary 5, 2018
benefits are very good!, 401k, HSA accounts. very nice. but pay is extremely low. hours are extremely long, days are long and draining. you work way harder then you are paid to do so. you have to do ridiculous things in order to get a raise. ABSOLUTELY no work life balance they make it very clear they care more about the pet count and how much money they bring in then their employees well being. very sad, because i loved this place to bring my pets but once having worked here its sad to see what the company really is.
Pros
benefits, clients, pets
Cons
low pay, no work life balance
cool
Vet Technician (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 5, 2018
everything was good and laid back and no complaints and i will recommend for anyone who wants to apply its a great place to start career................
Pros
lunch
Cons
breaCK
Poor management
Shift Lead (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 4, 2018
Worked there for 4 years.. then a doctor lied about putting a pet under anesthesia to the owner so I told my practice manager and he got in trouble. Doctor then began harassing me and belittling me and manager did nothing to stop it. Manager decided to cut my hours since she didn’t want to lose her only doctor. Poor choices in management. Great place to start learning to be a vet tech but not a good place to stay long term. Upper management doesn’t want advancement unless you have the personality they want. I worked 3 months of weekend shifts because my manager was “punishing me”
Pros
Lots of Pto that accumulates fast, good benefits
Cons
Rotating shift, no consistent schedule, poor management, no advancement
Productive fun place
Veterinary Assistant (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 3, 2018
A typical day starts with checking in drop off comp exam and surgery patients, we get the surgery patients ready for their surgeries, placing catheter, drawing blood for lab work.

I have learned various skills, performing blood draws, complete lab work such as blood, urine and fecal testing, inserting IV catheters, assisting with surgeries, anesthetic monitoring, and dentals, also I have my certification for Radiographs.

We have a variety of different people that all work well together, we enjoy what we do and work hard for out pets and their owners at giving the best quality of care that we can.

The hardest part is losing a patient and seeing the families heartbroken,

The best part of the job as a Veterinarian Assistant, is getting to be a part of a team that helps to care for our furry critters.
March 12, 2018

Thank you for your review. Your commitment and dedication to providing the highest quality care. We thank you and your team for helping create positive experiences for our pets and clients!

--- Banfield Pet Hospital

Great on paper, terrible in practice
Client Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Mechanicsburg, PAFebruary 2, 2018
When I was hired I was promised a variety of things that never came to be. Training was not taken seriously and I was told to just make time in my day to watch the videos and be sure my workbook was filled out before higher-ups came for visits.
The manager did not take our concerns seriously and usually told staff to "figure it out" under the guise of encouraging us to communicate better with each other when issues arose.
It took him far too long to reach out to clients seeking his attention, and the rest of the staff bore the brunt of their frustration.
He was good at standing up for us when a client was problematic, but that's about the only good thing I have to say about him.
Days were long, the work was stressful, and we were constantly overbooked. We could not keep staff on for these reasons, so we were understaffed as well.
It was not a good place to work, and I don't believe much has changed since I left.
Pros
discount at Petsmart
March 12, 2018

We are sorry to hear that your experience working at Banfield was not as positive as it should have been. We value your feedback as it will only help us improve our processes and associate experience. We thank you for sharing and wish you the best in your endeavors.

Rewarding place to work
VETERINARY ASSITANT (Former Employee) –  Trinity, FLFebruary 1, 2018
I enjoyed my time here. While the work could be stressful, it was also rewarding and fun. I learned a lot of interesting things and the work was very hands-on.
March 12, 2018

Thank you for your kind review. We wish you much success!

Join the Revolution
Senior Talent Acquisition Specialist (Current Employee) –  RemoteJanuary 31, 2018
Banfield has gone through a transformation of sorts and it has been for the positive!

admittedly there are some reputation concerns from the "old days" but the leadership has truly stepped up, and rose to the challenge of turning it around. I can speak from a Talent Acquisition perspective & tell you that Sr Leaders are truly passionate about the work we do, and the way we do it.

this is NOT a "hire anyone with a pulse" organization. Recruiters are given the time to vet and assess candidates appropriately and are given a true voice at the table on decisions, process, and approach

if you're looking to be part of something special, if you enjoy giving back & making a difference in the lives of people in your community then Banfield is the place for you!
Pros
Passion for People & Pets
Cons
Reputation hurdles to overcome
March 12, 2018

Banfield is always striving to improve the client and associates experiences. Feedback like yours, allows us to stay connected to our hospitals and the industry, helping us to evolve and forge forward. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and believing in everything we do for our pets, clients, associates, and local communities.

Sky is the limit
Sr Specialist P&O Systems (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WAJanuary 31, 2018
I have been with Banfield for nearly 13 years. As the company grows the opportunities for individual growth does as well. Banfield believes in associate engagement and development.
Pros
Locations all over the country
March 12, 2018

Spoken like a true veteran in the industry! Thank you for sharing your optimism and your 13+ years of service with Banfield!

--- Banfield Pet Hospital

Terrible hours and rarely promote from within
CSC (Current Employee) –  MissouriJanuary 31, 2018
Hours are long and weekends are frequent. They rarely promote from within even if they lead people to think they will be. Training is terrible and you usually just get thrown in with the wolves.
Ok Place To Work
Client Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Garner, NCJanuary 31, 2018
It was an okay place to work. Very stressful, never consistent but hired great employees. They made a lot of changes and were not consistent in the way they wanted things done.
Was A Great Job to Get Me Where I Am Today
Client Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Gainesville FlJanuary 30, 2018
The overall company was not very good. They really only cared about how many Wellness Plans we had clients sign up for. Management was very poor. The only good thing was it helped me to learn more about the veterinary field and propel me into a better job position with a better company.
Every day is an adventure
Client Services Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, NJJanuary 30, 2018
Working in a veterinary hospital is unpredictable and I like to say that every day is an adventure.

There are days that are totally hectic and stressful and other days where there are a few slow moments.

I like that my co-workers and I are a team and we all share a love of animals.

It is rewarding to work with animals and be a part of teaching clients how to best care for their pets.

The shifts are long which can be tough. It is also different from working in a private practice because Banfield is a corporation and sometimes their rules are hard to understand.
Pros
A busy atmosphere
Cons
Long shifts
March 12, 2018

Thank you for sharing your kind review and perspective. Helping animals is indeed a rewarding experience. We appreciate all you do for our practice.

--- Banfield Pet Hospital

Productive and fun work place with low wages
Pet Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clackamas, ORJanuary 30, 2018
I loved working at Banfield, unfortunately I was not making enough money to support a living and was breaking my back for that job. I always think about how I wish I could go back.
Pros
Fun, fast paced and rewarding
Cons
low wages, hard hours and stinky clothes
March 12, 2018

We appreciate your review and all the hardwork that you did for our practice. Thank you!

Good place to start
Veterinary Technician (Former Employee) –  Chino Hills, CAJanuary 29, 2018
If you have no experience Banfield Pet Hospital is a great place to start. It will propel you into fast pace environments or challenging situations. You can teach and learn from others.
March 12, 2018

Thank you for sharing your experience working at Banfield. All the best to you.

Good.
Veterinary Assistant (Current Employee) –  Gastonia, NCJanuary 29, 2018
Working at banfield is the same as working at a regular hospital. You have to help as many pets as you can and as fast as you can. Sometimes you feel as though your job is routine.
Pros
Helping animals.
Cons
Feeling like you don't help the animals enough, It's up to the owners to make the choices on what happens to your patients which can be frustrating.
March 12, 2018

Your commitment to helping our pets and clients is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your review and for all the work that you do!

--- Banfield Pet Hospital

Great people to work with but everything else was lacking
Client Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 29, 2018
The most enjoyable part of the job was the people that I worked with. The team was a cohesive unit and I created many friendships that carried on past my employment. I learned a lot at this job and it gave me more experience in customer service and started my experience in scheduling.
March 12, 2018

Thank you for your review. We're glad to hear that you experienced a thriving environment, have enjoyed the perks that come with the job, and have been able to help animals, all while creating lasting friendships. We wish you much success in your future endeavors.

--- Banfield Pet Hospital

The staff was great and the customers were amazing.
Veterinary Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FLJanuary 29, 2018
check answer machine, turn on computer, check in clients, bring them into room and this continued through out the day =l as we cashed the out, Learned a lot more about animals. Work place culture was tense because we were short on staff,
putting a dog down and seeing the patient cry,
seeing a pet overcome a major sickness.
Pros
Got to pay with animals
Cons
short breaks and poor pay
March 12, 2018

Your review and contribution to our practice is greatly appreciated. All the best to you.

--- Banfield Pet Hospital

Productive and fun workplace sometimes
Veterinary Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pinole, CAJanuary 25, 2018
It is a really good place to start your career in the veterinary medicine field. There are good days where there isn't much to do, but then there are those days where you are stuck with seeing 25 - 30 patients in one day with the only dr on staff for the day. The manager is a really fun, understandable guy, but since it is a corporation, there are a lot of rules and a lot of protocols that need to be followed. Other than that, like I said it is a really good place to start, but me personally, I don't see a future staying with this corporation. I want to expand my knowledge of animals, and veterinary medicine, here since it is a preventive care place of small animals (dogs and cats) you wont get a lot of opportunities to learn too much. Overall I love it here, but just need to go somewhere else to get more experience since I am going to school to be an RVT.
March 12, 2018

We appreciate the time you took to leave your review. Your feedback is valuable and helps us to improve our processes and associate experience. It sounds like you're looking for more hands on experience in your current role. We hope you've shared this information and your career goals with your field leadership team. We want to make sure you get the most out of your experience while working at Banfield, especially throughout your RVT schooling. If you have not taken the time to chat with your PM, please do so so they can provide you with proper support. We want to make sure you're set up for success in your career whether it's with Banfield or another practice in the future.

Love it here
Human Resources Specialist (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 24, 2018
Banfield really believes in engaging its employees, and is doing a better job continuously at listening to and asking for feedback from everyone from the hospitals to the office folks. It puts excellent pet health at the forefront of decision making and is providing great wellbeing support for doctors and all employees. LOVE IT HERE!!!
March 12, 2018

Associate engagement is extremely important to us and we do our best in looking for ways to improve associate experience. We love that you love it here! Thank you for your kind review.

--- Banfield Pet Hospital

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Banfield Pet Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

3.7Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight