Bangor Daily News

Bangor Daily News Employee Reviews

Working at the Bangor Daily News sharpens a journalist's interview, writing and photography skills while exposing writer to countless new experiences, people, cultures and insights. The most enjoyable part of the job is spent meeting new people and learning new things, while the worst part of the job is dealing with tragedy, families stricken by sadness and guilt after the death of a loved one, and requesting interviews from people who have just experienced major trauma or tragedy in their life.
Pros
wonderful people
Cons
lack of good health insurance, no 401K
no supportno follow through from managementwill not give pay subs when asked many, many timeswill not help work with difficult customers will not back employees with difficult customers
Pros
hours that we work
Cons
management support
Early early early and Lewis (the somewhat boss) is a joke. He pretends to be your buddy but will backstab u quickly. Watch out for that. Gas costs a lot and the routes will KILL your car!!! Not a good job at all
Cons
It is not that bad.. I like it there. it is good it isn't bad i like it there. good place good stuff. The expanding shortfall is driven largely by falling tax revenue, driven lower in part due to the 2017 Republican tax law signed by Trump that slashed rates for corporations and individual earners. Changes are in store for household trash in more than 100 towns and cities across eastern Maine.hey are appealing a recent Superior Court ruling that Gammon’s business is a grandfathered use to the Maine Supreme Judicial Court.
Pros
free stuff.
Bangor Daily does not care about the safety or well being of it's couriers. Customers are given times of delivery that are innaccurate. Management does not know how to do routes.
Typically 3 managers per individual worker bee. Top heavy management makes decision making slow and laborious. More often then not they come in with a poor decision or the wrong one.
Pros
Opportunities to be creative within confined structures
Cons
Watch your back
No matter how well you do, you always feel like you could lose your job at any point. CEO is NOT a people person. Quite opposite of the publisher.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
stressful days
It was the worst job I had ever had. Wear and tare on your car, get in trouble if you go off the road during the winter and the paper was a late delivery. Driving at 12 or 1 in the morning six days a week.
Pros
early morning
Cons
everything else
This was a great place to work. Pay rate and benefits were fantastic. Management always looking to work with you on any problems. Fast pace environment, plenty of co-workers to assist in daily tasks.
So many things are constantly changing and the company has no real bearing or direction. Sales department is cut throat even though they try to come across as not being that way. Management does listen unless you are all ready fed up and ready to leave the company.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Bangor Daily News?
The BDN has many employees who have worked with them for more than a decade. Clearly, they have a commitment to hard working staff. Yet, the newspaper industry continues to be challenged to find new revenue streams and cope with competing incentives between advertising and journalistic depth. The BDN continues to strive to find it's way through the digital age in the wake of fake news, and audiences with tenuous connection to local journalism. The best part of the job is working closely with people who really care about solving Maine's problems. The hardest part would have to be coping with the overall uncertainty of the business model.
Pros
modern office, cozy office culture
Cons
uncertainty, shrinking staff numbers
Newspaper delivery. Or as BDN calls it Independent Contractors. Welcome to the good old boys club, maybe after working there for 10 years, they might start talking to you. Back to "Independent Contractors" they hire/call you that so the company can't be held responsible if you hurt yourself on the job or have to offer health insurance. How they nickel and time you to death. So they pay you .16 per paper delivered per day. (How much is a daily paper?). But if you miss a customer for whatever reason, BDN charges you a $4.00 fine. Oh yes and you have to buy supplies. Bags for the papers to go in ($ 20 case). Rubber bands to keep the bags closed ($ 12.50 bag). Now this is mainly charged to the new people because your given the hardest routes, walking or drive but you have to get out of your car at most customers house. So those are just some charges but I don't want to run out of room before I get to talk about supervisors. Want to talk about lazy. Now as in my case I was in a car accident. But BDN policy is you can not miss a day of work, if you do they charge you another fee, ($ 300). So I had to call out from my car accident. My supervisors response was if you don't go in tonight, don't come back. And sure thing, I was fired the next morning for not going in. I mean this supervisor, you could tell she was stoned on something every time she came around. But as contractors we have to do everything they tell us to do. OK another charge, so they fire you and charge you a ($ 250) termination fee. And their policy is if I quit, they still charge me the termination fee, so either - more...
Pros
work for yourself, great customers who tip you.
Cons
All of the above. I could fit it all in here
I enjoyed working there. Nights were great,I had most of my day to do what I needed to around the house and pay bills and other stuff. The other drivers all met to get the papers and we talked and off we would go. They were helpful and friendly.
The Bangor Daily News is a family-owned newspaper, now a vanishing breed. I went to work there right out of college. The owners of the BDN were committed to excellent journalism, to the point they sent me to Washington, DC to cover national politics from a Maine perspective. I was a one-man bureau from 1979 to 2001, which required me to be an innovative, self-starter. The BDN experiment worked so well our competition, the Portland newspapers, sent their own reporter to Washington to compete with me, which made my job even more enjoyable. I had a competitor and our results were measured every morning on the pages of our newspapers. My owners spared little expense during my two decades in Washington. I flew around the world with Secretary of State Edmund Muskie, covered national political conventions, reported from Central America in the 1980s and Bosnia in the next decade. I covered the major Washington, DC stories, from Iran-Contra to Bill Clinton's impeachment hearings. Sadly, the Internet has cut deeply into newspaper readership (the BDN has fallen from more than 100,000 circulation daily to just 43,000 today) making the kind of job I held in Washington, DC impossible to sustain. The position was eliminated in 2001 when I retired.
Pros
The most interesting journalism job in Maine.
Cons
An isolation from the home office and my fellow employees.
If you have a reliable vehicle and have a very large route this is great. The problem is gas money and the wear on your own vehicle with NO compensation. Also, you need to buy your own supplies.
It wasn't that great, would never do it again even if I couldnt find work.
Contracting independent contractors for home delivery of newspaper routes, delivering newspaper routes with no current contractor to deliver, redelivery and customer service.
Pros
Salary & benefits
Cons
Impossible to do the job in less than 12-15 hours per day 6 days a week.
The Bangor Daily News has been a very family orientated business for many years.
Depending on your role your day can be very routine, or overwhelming. Work loads tend to be unbalanced between associates.Learned that the-old-boys-club mentality is alive and well in America.Not a fan of 90 percent of management, the majority never learn their employees job description or their duties. When managers change the incoming are never trained regarding their predecessors responsibilities. Over time many procedures go by the wayside, which were in place for very important reasons.Co-workers tend to see flaws and ways to solve issues much more so than the managers. However, they are not welcome to contribute their ideas.Most difficult challenge is accepting that there is no accountability across the board and hand-picked employees are given much more opportunity, even in someone else's department.Definitely the co-workers are the saving grace that make coming to work enjoyable and something to look forward to. Also I believe the salaries are above average for the area.
Pros
salary, family-feel with co-workers.
Cons
not much done to reward employees with even simple encouragement.
  1. Employee Reviews