Bangor Daily News

Working at Bangor Daily News: 21 Reviews

United States21 reviews

jobworkdaymanagementdailygreatnewspaperroute

Journalist

Working at the Bangor Daily News sharpens a journalist's interview, writing and photography skills while exposing writer to countless new experiences, people, cultures and insights. The most enjoyable part of the job is spent meeting new people and learning new things, while the worst part of the job is dealing with tragedy, families stricken by sadness and guilt after the death of a loved one, and requesting interviews from people who have just experienced major trauma or tragedy in their life.

Pros

wonderful people

Cons

lack of good health insurance, no 401K

Opportunities for advancement

A good place to work overall, pay is better than most other equivalents in Maine (although the health care is very expensive). Still, good opportunities to move up within the company.

Bangor Daily News insights

What people like
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Supportive environment
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

Best company I’ve ever worked for

This was my big break, but not my first job. I’ve had so many, but this was by far the best company I ever worked for. I left because I moved from Maine to New Mexico to be closer to family, but I wish I could have brought the whole company with me.

Pros

Great boss

Cons

Difficult to work with some external people for stories.

poor managment

no supportno follow through from managementwill not give pay subs when asked many, many timeswill not help work with difficult customers will not back employees with difficult customers

Pros

hours that we work

Cons

management support

Early morning and no Appreciation

Early early early and Lewis (the somewhat boss) is a joke. He pretends to be your buddy but will backstab u quickly. Watch out for that. Gas costs a lot and the routes will KILL your car!!! Not a good job at all

Cons

Productive and fun workplace!

It is not that bad.. I like it there. it is good it isn't bad i like it there. good place good stuff. The expanding shortfall is driven largely by falling tax revenue, driven lower in part due to the 2017 Republican tax law signed by Trump that slashed rates for corporations and individual earners. Changes are in store for household trash in more than 100 towns and cities across eastern Maine.hey are appealing a recent Superior Court ruling that Gammon’s business is a grandfathered use to the Maine Supreme Judicial Court.

Pros

free stuff.

Treat couriers horribly

Bangor Daily does not care about the safety or well being of it's couriers. Customers are given times of delivery that are innaccurate. Management does not know how to do routes.

Be prepared to be managed

Typically 3 managers per individual worker bee. Top heavy management makes decision making slow and laborious. More often then not they come in with a poor decision or the wrong one.

Pros

Opportunities to be creative within confined structures

Cons

Watch your back

Stressful Environment

No matter how well you do, you always feel like you could lose your job at any point. CEO is NOT a people person. Quite opposite of the publisher.

Pros

flexible schedule

Cons

stressful days

paper delivery

It was the worst job I had ever had. Wear and tare on your car, get in trouble if you go off the road during the winter and the paper was a late delivery. Driving at 12 or 1 in the morning six days a week.

Pros

early morning

Cons

everything else

Loved working here.

This was a great place to work. Pay rate and benefits were fantastic. Management always looking to work with you on any problems. Fast pace environment, plenty of co-workers to assist in daily tasks.

no real plan for future

So many things are constantly changing and the company has no real bearing or direction. Sales department is cut throat even though they try to come across as not being that way. Management does listen unless you are all ready fed up and ready to leave the company.

A commitment to the people of Maine

The BDN has many employees who have worked with them for more than a decade. Clearly, they have a commitment to hard working staff. Yet, the newspaper industry continues to be challenged to find new revenue streams and cope with competing incentives between advertising and journalistic depth. The BDN continues to strive to find it's way through the digital age in the wake of fake news, and audiences with tenuous connection to local journalism. The best part of the job is working closely with people who really care about solving Maine's problems. The hardest part would have to be coping with the overall uncertainty of the business model.

Pros

modern office, cozy office culture

Cons

uncertainty, shrinking staff numbers

I've never worked for a worse company

Newspaper delivery. Or as BDN calls it Independent Contractors. Welcome to the good old boys club, maybe after working there for 10 years, they might start talking to you. Back to "Independent Contractors" they hire/call you that so the company can't be held responsible if you hurt yourself on the job or have to offer health insurance. How they nickel and time you to death. So they pay you .16 per paper delivered per day. (How much is a daily paper?). But if you miss a customer for whatever reason, BDN charges you a $4.00 fine. Oh yes and you have to buy supplies. Bags for the papers to go in ($ 20 case). Rubber bands to keep the bags closed ($ 12.50 bag). Now this is mainly charged to the new people because your given the hardest routes, walking or drive but you have to get out of your car at most customers house. So those are just some charges but I don't want to run out of room before I get to talk about supervisors. Want to talk about lazy. Now as in my case I was in a car accident. But BDN policy is you can not miss a day of work, if you do they charge you another fee, ($ 300). So I had to call out from my car accident. My supervisors response was if you don't go in tonight, don't come back. And sure thing, I was fired the next morning for not going in. I mean this supervisor, you could tell she was stoned on something every time she came around. But as contractors we have to do everything they tell us to do. OK another charge, so they fire you and charge you a ($ 250) termination fee. And their policy is if I quit, they still charge me the termination fee, so either -

Pros

work for yourself, great customers who tip you.

Cons

All of the above. I could fit it all in here

It was a great place to work.

I enjoyed working there. Nights were great,I had most of my day to do what I needed to around the house and pay bills and other stuff. The other drivers all met to get the papers and we talked and off we would go. They were helpful and friendly.

When journalism was fund and rewarding.

The Bangor Daily News is a family-owned newspaper, now a vanishing breed. I went to work there right out of college. The owners of the BDN were committed to excellent journalism, to the point they sent me to Washington, DC to cover national politics from a Maine perspective. I was a one-man bureau from 1979 to 2001, which required me to be an innovative, self-starter. The BDN experiment worked so well our competition, the Portland newspapers, sent their own reporter to Washington to compete with me, which made my job even more enjoyable. I had a competitor and our results were measured every morning on the pages of our newspapers. My owners spared little expense during my two decades in Washington. I flew around the world with Secretary of State Edmund Muskie, covered national political conventions, reported from Central America in the 1980s and Bosnia in the next decade. I covered the major Washington, DC stories, from Iran-Contra to Bill Clinton's impeachment hearings. Sadly, the Internet has cut deeply into newspaper readership (the BDN has fallen from more than 100,000 circulation daily to just 43,000 today) making the kind of job I held in Washington, DC impossible to sustain. The position was eliminated in 2001 when I retired.

Pros

The most interesting journalism job in Maine.

Cons

An isolation from the home office and my fellow employees.

Early, very early

If you have a reliable vehicle and have a very large route this is great. The problem is gas money and the wear on your own vehicle with NO compensation. Also, you need to buy your own supplies.

deliver papers

It wasn't that great, would never do it again even if I couldnt find work.

Usually an impossible job

Contracting independent contractors for home delivery of newspaper routes, delivering newspaper routes with no current contractor to deliver, redelivery and customer service.

Pros

Salary & benefits

Cons

Impossible to do the job in less than 12-15 hours per day 6 days a week.

Very family oriented business

The Bangor Daily News has been a very family orientated business for many years.

Best part -- great co-workers that you love right away.

Depending on your role your day can be very routine, or overwhelming. Work loads tend to be unbalanced between associates.Learned that the-old-boys-club mentality is alive and well in America.Not a fan of 90 percent of management, the majority never learn their employees job description or their duties. When managers change the incoming are never trained regarding their predecessors responsibilities. Over time many procedures go by the wayside, which were in place for very important reasons.Co-workers tend to see flaws and ways to solve issues much more so than the managers. However, they are not welcome to contribute their ideas.Most difficult challenge is accepting that there is no accountability across the board and hand-picked employees are given much more opportunity, even in someone else's department.Definitely the co-workers are the saving grace that make coming to work enjoyable and something to look forward to. Also I believe the salaries are above average for the area.

Pros

salary, family-feel with co-workers.

Cons

not much done to reward employees with even simple encouragement.

Common questions about Bangor Daily News

Answered by current and former employees at Bangor Daily News

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bangor Daily News. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.6 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits