Bank of China Employee Reviews

If you aren't a traditional Chinese, THINK TWICE before you apply!
Anonymous consultant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 14, 2018
Typical day at work: deadline too tight, mission impossible, not enough clarification/instruction for direct management, always guessing what your manager wants, no sense of urgency, too many "discretionary" decisions, any creativity/change to current way of method will not be encouraged, exclusive friendly environment to Chinese employees (who also speak fluent Mandarin) ONLY

I'm grateful for giving me exposure to the career I now know which direction I want to pursue further, but 2 months in i'm already not happy working there.

Hardest part of the job is when there's a problem, you find out after it happened that you were included in the full communication, but you are scolded for all of it. Also really don't like that the management has no sense of urgency, there's too much cultural hierarchy that for a lot of necessary things, you have to seek signature from EVPs and SVPs and the CEO, and they are very hard to catch. I'm China born Chinese but working here reminded why in the beginning I didn't want to work and live in China, and why I don't want to work for Chinese companies in the US. Diversity really is a joke here.
Relaxed work
Private Bank Intern, Personal Finance Department (Former Employee) –  邯郸市April 10, 2018
not so busy when at work.
good work environment
good colleague
two days of rest in each week
good benefit of healthcare
clear career path
many opportunities
Pros
good enviornment
Cons
short break
Limited things to learn
Lobby Manager (Former Employee) –  Zhengzhou, ChinaMarch 18, 2018
Lobby manager is not a very useful position for a business position. Although you can still learn how to communicate with different people, that is the only thing that you can learn from this position. This is a boring job, and the employees didn't care about your own development. Bank of China is a good place to work, but lobby manager is not.
Productive workplace where you need to pay a lot of attention to details
Business Credit Analyst (Former Employee) –  ChengduJanuary 17, 2018
Assessing customer credit worthiness;
Preparing contracts;
Reading financial statements;
Summarizing weekly/monthly requests.

Stable but kind of repeating working environment.
Quiet Place
Banker (Former Employee) –  绵阳市December 19, 2017
It is a quiet and comfortable place for work, it is a small place but I learned a lot from it. My colleagues were all very friendly and taught me a lot. I enjoyed my time there.
Great company
Bank Lobby Manager (Former Employee) –  ChinaDecember 13, 2017
As an intern, I gained valuable experiences. All positions have a clear job statement and exact procedure to complete. The company always treat employees well and hold very relaxed atmosphere
Pros
Nice working environment
Cons
Job promotion
classical and serious environment
International Business Department Intern (Former Employee) –  ChinaNovember 25, 2017
Management here is serious and formalized. I have learnt a lot about international trade agreements and detailed requirements here between banks and companies.
Cons
short breaks
Good place to start a career in banking
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  JinanNovember 3, 2017
Good place to start your career in commercial banking.
Very friendly environment
Very customer-based, good communication and customer handling skills are required
cultivate problem-solving skills
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  包头市October 11, 2017
quick-paced working makes interns think and response very quickly
requires great problem-solving skills and critical thinking skills to handle multiple tasks.
stable
Associate - Clearing Department (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 1, 2017
Cross broad companies, good place to work if you want to be stable. workplace culture is almost the same as in china. different from other local banks in united states, bank of china new york is more like a back office supporting bank of china head office.
Supportive and cooperative work environment
Corporate Banking Intern (Former Employee) –  Provincia de PanamáSeptember 27, 2017
The working environment at BOC is very cooperative and supportive. Everyone here knows and talks to each other regardless of title. Managers here are very friendly and they especially look after newbies like me. I like working here because I can obtain unlimited resources for an entry level job training. Since Spanish is not my native language, there is also free Spainsh classes provided after work in the office. In addition, a big plus is the two-hour break in the middle of the day. However, employees are expected to work overtime frequently. Nevertheless, there are free dinners and lunches provided for employees if they stay to overwork.
Pros
free occasional dinners or lunches
Cons
adequent breaks after lunch
Plenty of work, but fair management and you learn
FIU Transaction Monitoring Consultant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 4, 2017
In this position, you have to clear 15 alerts a day. You can clear some alerts instantly. Others take more time, and there is a set procedure. If you show that you are willing to work, and show that your work improves as time goes by, you will be fine. However, there are many days where it takes longer to finish your work than others.
Pros
Fair management and good location
Cons
No overtime pay despite being consultants and often long hours
Very Poor Management
Research Intern (Former Employee) –  HangzhouAugust 25, 2017
The marketing department manager in a crazy woman and always call people's names and never showed her respects. Very unpleasant experience there. Also payment is low.
Cons
Easy to work using negative language
Managerial Auditor (Former Employee) –  NanYang, CNJuly 21, 2017
• Issued 6 Letters of Credit for local companies and audited 20 Letters of Credit from offshore bank to control the risk.
• Settled all net transactions and bank drafts to related companies.
• Checked 15 local companies’ financial statements and evaluated their performance for the issuance of the Letter of Credit.
Help to make a good bid
Tender Assistant (Former Employee) –  Xi'an, CNMay 29, 2017
After reading the tender from the company who wants to make a loan transaction with Bank of China, help my conductor to evaluate and decided the future of the company and whether give them money.
free atmosphere and creative colleague relationship
Loan Collection Intern (Former Employee) –  Changzhou, CNMay 14, 2017
start at 9:00 a.m. in the morning, before that, we do a very brief motivation. It's important to have a creative and activity relationship with the colleague because as a new intern, experienced worker can share a lot about the company culture and their experience.
The hardest part for the job is to build a long term and positive relationship with the customers because the investing bank need their long-term customer to ensure the achievement and as a part of the team, it is my responsibility to have a positive attitude on everything.
Pros
free atmosphere
Cons
unchangeable work
cooperative and innovative
Internship Student (Former Employee) –  Yulin, ShaanxiMay 3, 2017
When got in bad condition, the supervisor will get staffs together to discuss the methods to get out or mitigate rather than blame or keep blind. And we can had experiment before implementing strategy to check and adjust. So this experience made me be a detail-oriented fast leaner!
People are friendly but not willing to share what they know
Assistant Vice President (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 1, 2017
Many people are doing the same job for 10+ years and not willing to change a bit. Not a good place to start career. Job security is good. A lot of manual work.
Good company to work for
Finance Analytics Intern (Former Employee) –  Qingdao, CNApril 26, 2017
Bank of China is a very good place to work for. It offers a wonderful working environment and the office is clean and neat. Your job will be challenging but not frustrated. You will have balanced work and life balance.
Pros
Environment, word life balance
Cons
Company culture
Workplace culture
Intern, Credit Department (Former Employee) –  BaodingApril 24, 2017
Everyone is good and easy going in bank of china. People works hard and know what to do in their positions. Our team leader is democratic and like to hear different voice.