Bank of Hope Employee Reviews

No comment
Assistant Vice President of Compliance (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 18, 2018
Management not open to change. Did not like working with my direct and all the shadiness that was presented on a daily. To traditional. Not the place for me to work at.
Pros
Insurance paid for
Cons
No comment
Great Benefits
Manager (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 13, 2018
Bank of Hope is the largest Korean-American bank based out of Los Angeles, CA. The culture is heavily Korean influenced with many executives being first generation Korean immigrants. Their honorifics are highly used. They offer great benefits, employee stock options (started in 2018), annual bonuses, good compensation, promote career advancement.
Pros
one location offers free continental breakfast
Cons
heavily korean influenced
Terrible management, typical Korean work environment
Deposit Operations Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 10, 2018
Management needs to step up their game. Work environment was more or less bearable but some of the employees (particularly the middle-aged wo/men) tend to gossip and age discriminate. The superior I was under was pleasant enough--at the beginning--before I quickly realized he was a narcissistic, egotistical man that had no qualms about fixing his rude temperament. It was starting to become painfully apparent that he, as well as the upper management, looked down on the newer, younger employees. The work in itself, however, was remarkably pleasant. It's a pity, as management definitely needs to step up their game, or else it would've been a great job to work at. Benefits were great too. Overall, I would NOT recommend my friends or anyone to work/apply here.
Pros
Free breakfast, good benefits
Cons
Poor management, age/mental disability discrimination, biased Korean-centric work environment.
Dont
Loan Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 5, 2018
Horrible management
No room to grow
Too many small bank policies merged into what is now Bank of Hope
Upper management is disorganized
Constant changes in policy
My view of this company from my department's point of view
General Services Admin, Assistant Lease Admin (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 1, 2018
I work for the General Services Dept. and our main job is facilities maintenance/management, lease admin and purchasing. I feel like our department has a lot of work to do comparing to other departments, because my team of 8 people is the only department that manages and administrates all the bank locations, which includes about 100 locations all over United States. Although we have a lot of work to do in a daily basis, I like to work with my team because it is never boring and most of the times competitive and new, because I feel like i learn all the time.
Pros
good people, no micro management
Cons
sometimes too much work, low pay
Ok place to start
Loan Officer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 1, 2018
If you're going in as a Credit Analyst, you're going to be severely underpaid and overworked.

You will have the opportunity to learn a lot of banking, but it's all on you. All the good employees have already left after the merger.
a typical day at work
HRIS System Analyst; Contract (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 16, 2018
the hardest part of the job was that the employees and management spoke korean and the company has a different culture than other companies I have worked
Stressful
Senior Portfolio Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 28, 2018
Stressful work environment. Abnormally quiet and promotes a culture of work only, without much time to stress relief or pursue a social atmosphere. Management is stiff and corporate.
First Vice President (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 27, 2017
The bank is very much a Korean culture. Management can be very demanding, but the bank promotes proper compensation. The bank recently went though a merger and various departments are still going adjustments.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Stressful Work Environment
Simple, not-too-difficult job
Teller (Former Employee) –  Palisades Park, NJMarch 27, 2017
Working here is relatively easy if you speak korean fluently. An average day is typically pretty slow and learning the work is not difficult. Hardest part of the job as a Korean-American was definitely the language barrier.
Pros and cons
Credit Analyst (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 30, 2016
Pros
good work environment.
good benefits.
Lots of work with plenty of opportunity to learn and obtain skills/knowledge for next job

Cons
low compensation
stagnant growth with little or no upward mobility
Overall 4 stars
Commercial Loan Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 20, 2016
Low salary compare to workload.
All others are very satisfied.
The company is Korean community Bank.
More than half of customers are Koreans.
Underwriters' duty in this company have very broad, such as, underwriting, pre-discussion, financial spread, site visit, loan document execution, order reports to vendors, communicating with customer, line advance, writing memorandums for exceptions, and so on.
Pros
You can learn a lot of banking knowledge
Cons
Too broad and too much workload, and relativelylow salary