Bank of the West Employee Reviews

Okay place to work
Teller (Former Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAAugust 11, 2018
Typical job as a teller at a bank, customer transactions, opening and closing accounts. Towards the end you were required to make sales calls and try to meet a certain number of new accounts.
Not bad
Financial Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Mill Valley, CAAugust 7, 2018
Employees were encouraged to build relationship with customers. In addition there were upward mobility not to mention seniors worked side by side with new employees.
Banking Industry
Service Banker (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEAugust 6, 2018
Bank of the West offered part time benefits for employees. Which is a huge benefit of working for this organization. Otherwise management and staff turnover was a concern as a long time employee.
No a great company for on boarding
SOFTWARE ENGINEER (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZAugust 5, 2018
HR & Senior Leadership are not the best for communicating issues with the company. I guess I ended up on a bad team. My on boarding process was horrible. I took me a month to get the right computer for a Software Engineer and another 2 - 3 months for me to get all of the tools I needed to do my job. I wouldn't recommend this company.
Pros
Some telecommuting - depends on the team you are on
Cons
Everything else - on boarding, leadership, sr leadership, and Definitely HR
A nice place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Parker, COAugust 3, 2018
While there were some issues with original management, it was changed during my time there and should now have good people to work under. It was a comfortable and highly professional environment with speed and accuracy being the most key.
Very cut-throat and sales goals were way higher then Wells Fargo Bank.
Universal Banker Officer - UBO (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAAugust 3, 2018
The pay was the only thing good about this job. The managers were cut throat and wanted their pay outs.

The sales environment here was way worse and pushy then Wells Fargo Bank my previous employer. I' am shocked that BOTW is not in the news instead of Wells Fargo. I was never threatened my job at Wells for finishing at 75-95%.

Do your self a favor and don't apply here, unless you want to be forced to lie to customers.
Pros
lunch time and fridays
Cons
healthcare was way pricey, poor management, cut throat sales
A new challenge everyday
BSA/AML COMPLIANCE ANALYST II (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEAugust 2, 2018
The work is really challenging and difficult, but the teams work well together and the culture is one of cooperation and true teamwork. There is always more to learn, and the opportunities are only limited by your own ambition.
they want robots
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDAugust 1, 2018
They try to train you to say exactly what is on their script no room to ad lib. High call volume with every question you can imagine. They dont tolerate mistakes.
Not what it used to be
Compliance Officer (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 1, 2018
Bank of the West used to be a great place to work, however, as the company becomes less Customer focused and opportunities for personal development have diminished it can no longer retain or attract talented individuals.
Average job
Universal Banker (Former Employee) –  Cushing, OKJuly 29, 2018
If you’re just looking for a job where you can make a living in a small town this isn’t a bad job. But if you’re looking to advance and making good money this isnt the job for you.
Company was in a major transition to BNPP
Managing Director (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJuly 28, 2018
BOTW was transitioning to BNPP policies and procedures and management personnel

In general they had little value for tradition or existing business lines.
Pros
Solid international product mix available
Cons
poor respect for existing employees
Nice and good culture
Senior Oracle PL/SQL Developer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 25, 2018
The company has very good employee benefits and lot of fun activities. Specially managers are very friendly to their employees. I liked their culture.
Good people but stressful environment
Senior Service Banker (Current Employee) –  NebraskaJuly 22, 2018
The bank always seemed to be short staffed which created a stressful work environment for employees. Very sales oriented for all positions with quarterly sales goals.
Cons
Required to work a lot of Saturdays and very difficult to take time off
Not a happy place to work when the end was near
teller and Loan Support (Former Employee) –  Cody, WYJuly 19, 2018
I went through two bank conversions in 7 years with Bank of the West being the last bank to occupy the building. I was dismissed because I basically worked myself out of a position when their headquarters demanded all of the loan files be kept at the headquarters in Fargo, ND. They had no plan for the employees being laid off. Currently I still keep a bank account there because I'm grandfathered into a line of credit. The bank is empty in Cody, WY. There are a lot of turnovers of employees. The branch manager I thing was fired, for lack of knowledge. I don't see it being open for much longer. Which is depressing.
Pros
The products are worth having
Cons
The staff isn't competent to do simple tasks like closing an account.
I’m Questioning The Entire Company
Service Banker (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 19, 2018
My training was just three days. I voiced my opinion and nothing was done about it. I was written up for doing electronic transfer incorrectly (because it wasnt in our training) but I was given advice by a fellow coworker who had been there double the time I was there but she didn’t even know how to do it correctly. The staff was very unfriendly and rude to customers I’ve seen some of the worst customer service ever displayed here. I’ve seen other bankers hide and joke about special needs customers and the manager did so much as to voice his recovery journey which unprofessional and way to personal. When a corrections officer would come they would not listen to any of the advice you would give us and joke and slander the district manager.
Cons
Short staffed and horrible reputation
no review
Customer Service Administrator (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 19, 2018
none at this time this is not an option for me as we are being displaced and I am not interested in moving to another state which is the reason to relocate.
Excellent place to work for
Financial Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJuly 18, 2018
I loved working for Bank of the West, one of my best experience. Pleasant place to work, employees are very pleasant to work with. Opportunities to grow within the corporation.
Pros
Great management and goal oriented
Great company
Collection Rep (Current Employee) –  San Ramon, CAJuly 18, 2018
My role is in collection my supervisor is awesome they could offer more pay . Annual raises are low . Over all chill place I lived it . Get your job done no one bothers you . My team is great .
Cons
Healthcare
Not the best
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJuly 15, 2018
Management was very poor where I was located at. We were never given pay raises or any sort of compensation for the banker side of the job. Very disorganized and never received any support from upper management.
Pros
good working hours
Cons
poor management
The day and life at work
Universal Banking Officer (Current Employee) –  Ellensburg, WAJuly 9, 2018
I would arrive around 7:45-8:00 am, I would pull up the over draft report and call customers that were on the list. I am the vault teller so I would make sure all employees have cash for the day. I am involved with all aspects of customer service, from helping customers with all of their needs, taking loan applications, opening accounts, problem solving, coaching and training new employees and back up manager. I have learned a great deal of how to communicate with all different types of customers, I take pride in what I do. The most enjoyable part of my job is the look or thanks I get from my customers. When they tell me that I have made their day and I am the reason why they keep coming back. The hardest part of my job is some of the upper management. I went to them with a problem I had with my past manager, it got back to the manager before any discussion could be had. She is no longer the manager but still with the bank, however she continues to bring things up she should not know about. I feel like there is no confidence with upper management with personal issues. I have been in banking and customer service for over 20 years, I thrive on being the best that I can and the best supervisor for the employees.
Pros
Customers
Cons
Unrealistic Goals

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bank of the West. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

63out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Bank of the West.

Powered by Comparably