Bank of the West Employee Reviews

Found 1,019 reviews matching the search See all 1,022 reviews
Much better options available in the market...
Group Manager, Solutions Delivery (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZJanuary 17, 2019
Culture:
BOTW was sold as a innovative, changing, and fun environment when in reality it is highly political, extremely conservative, and the more resistant to change than any other financial services company for whom I've worked. The very same people asking for change, were those preventing it from success. Most anyone who has worked for the bank for more than 4 years, is in a "click" of people who just want to keep the lights on.

BOTW is a very passive culture. Stated another way: lacks accountability. This is good for those who enjoy sticking to the status quo and bad for those who enjoy working with high performance colleagues, continuous improvement, and getting things done.

Compensation:
BOTW comps below 50th percentile of market and managers are only given 2-3% per employee per year for merit increases. This means you need to come in above the compensation level you want, because you won't achieve it through performance or promotion.

Conversely, SVP and above are compensated extremely well.

Benefits:
BOTW does have excellent non-cash benefits such as insurance, 401k matching, vacation, etc.

Opportunity:
BOTW is trying to catch-up to where other banks were 10-15 years ago...not current, not future, just less outdated. This means poor employee experience laden with repetitive manual tasks using archaic and unreliable systems (read: rework); and little opportunity to learn and grow to remain competitive in the employment market. This is not an environment in which you will learn the right way to do something, but you will learn what not to do.
Pros
Easy 9-5er for someone just looking for a paycheck. Great benefits.
Cons
Culture, politics, old / inefficient systems and processes
Worst of the Worst
Senior Service Officer (Former Employee) –  ColoradoJanuary 16, 2019
Under no circumstances would I recommend Bank of the West as an employer or financial institution. The leadership at the branch level is non-existent, the branch managers report to an over zealous control freak regional manager and the division manager only pops up for great things or terrible things. The organization has taken a turn for the worse throughout my over 5 years of employment. The leadership often makes rash decisions to move forward with a program but it falls by the wayside, wasting time, money, and burning out employees. If you want to work for the next Wells Fargo, give Bank of the West a shot. My recommendation - run for the hills.

The 3 star for compensation/benefits is simply for benefits - 6% 401(k) matching and numerous health plans to choose from.
The compensation is horrific and new hires (external candidates) are often paid more than their more qualified superiors.

DO NOT WORK OR BANK HERE.
Pros
401k match, health benefits
Cons
everything else
Great place to start
UNIVERSAL BANKER III (Former Employee) –  Mission, KSJanuary 15, 2019
There training is great I felt equipped to preform in my role. There was room for advancement and I promoted very quickly. If you are looking for a place to start this is the place.
Banker
Banker (Current Employee) –  ColoradoJanuary 15, 2019
Its about sales and not the customer. its not about who you help - but what you sold. The company does not care about the employees, and cares less and less about the true needs of the customer.
Pros
Great Health Benefits
Cons
The morality of the company is dropping fast.
Good Company
Credit Analyst (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 15, 2019
Provide good benefits including a full package. The company provides training and advancement. The offer work /life balance and are willing to work around your needs.
Contracted Training for a specific project
Training Contractor (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZJanuary 14, 2019
I am a contracted training so I was there for 14 months. Bank Of The West is a good organization but as a contractor and not an employee, I am coming from a different perspective.
A fruitful first internship experince
SAS Admin Intern (Former Employee) –  San Ramon, CAJanuary 14, 2019
A typical day at work will be looking to see if there is any pending issues and closing tickets.
I learned a lot about the server architecture and an extensive amount of the application SAS.
The hardest part of my job was making mistakes, not knowing how to tackle a situation was a fun challenge and finding the solution was also interesting.
Pros
friendly, lots of growth
Cons
Not hiring
Hardworking team members and great direct Supervisors.
CBG LMO ANALYST, Assistant Vice President (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 14, 2019
This organization has been through many changes but everyone on our EFD, ELS team was hard working and always tried their best to surpass and meat the sales goals on a monthly basis.
Pros
Team building
Cons
Communication between department.
Outsourced My Job
Operations Processor I (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJanuary 10, 2019
New CEO outsourced our jobs to India. Like the people I worked with. Enjoyed doing the work that was asked of me. I was the highest producer in the department.
Productive Team
VICE PRESIDENT/SR. LIQUIDITY RISK PM (Current Employee) –  San Ramon, CAJanuary 10, 2019
Self driven staffs with minimal supervision. Great place to work. Limited growth opportunities. Compensation is at par with market standards. Now focusing more to hire people outside of California to contain costs.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
health care, pay raise
A French culture, operating in America
Mortgage Loan Officer (Current Employee) –  Fremont, CAJanuary 9, 2019
There is a sincere interest in the well being of the employee. Plenty of support from the CEO all the way down to the part time employees. Everyone shares the same mission.
Benefits
Amiable and productive workplace
Service Banker I (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEJanuary 9, 2019
Bank of The West is a highly organized and customer orientated institution. As a relationship bank they like to close and individual connections with each prospect and customer and do their best to assure each person feels as though they been taken care of.
Pros
Great Mentoring and Coaching, good time management, and great benefits.
okay place to work
Sr CRES Mortgage Processor (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEJanuary 9, 2019
Raises are horrible doesn't matter how you do on the job, management is moving most jobs to Arizona treating loyal workers in Omaha like trash. Used to be a great company to work for...
Assistant Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJanuary 9, 2019
Thoroughly enjoyed the coworkers and management. Customers were always pleasant and remembered names. Presented with challenging options within work and took the initiative to meet and exceed those goals.
Good company
Vice President/Senior Product Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 8, 2019
It was good experience to work there. Its like any bank. You don't go there to be innovative, you go there to implement other peoples innovations. It's fine.
Overall good Company but with Management issues.
SME LOAN ADMIN SUPPORT II, OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Louisville, COJanuary 8, 2019
Worked for the company for a decade +. Poor management caused me to find a change. Lots of favoritism and unfair treatment. Minimal chance for wage increase and new employees are always compensated much higher than long term employees. Does not do a good job of taking care of it's most talented employees.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Poor Management and Pay
Not enough time at work - temporary contract
Full Time Employee, Contracted for Special Project (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 6, 2019
Not enough time at work, just on a temporary contract.
Relaxed environment and people seems to enjoy their work. Management seems to be courteous and direct to the point
Fun place to work, made friends
Universal Banker (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJanuary 5, 2019
I enjoyed working at Bank of The Best. I did not like the sales goals they push on everyone. No bonus for meeting the goals. My manager pushed me to get better at my job but ended up leaving 3 months after I started the job. My new boss played favorites to employees.
Great place to learn
Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Ramon, CAJanuary 4, 2019
I was put into a team and I learned so much. Learning so much about excel has helped me lead in my current new role. ENhancing my skills to be more marketable.
A great place to learn and grow in banking for entry level into the financial world
Branch Manager, VP (Former Employee) –  Carroll, IAJanuary 3, 2019
A typical work day for me was setting expectations, coaching staff, follow up, redirect staff as needed. setting and attaining goals, providing world class customer service. Problem resolution both operational and customer issues. Audit and compliance with federal state and local laws. Uphold policy and procedures of Bank of the West.

I learned how to be flexible in an ever changing industry.

The management was mostly flexible and supportive, provided learning opportunities and continuing education.

Inconsistent information from business partners and back office departments slowed down work performance making the job difficult at times.

The most enjoyable part of my job was teaching others how to do what they do and meet or exceed their goals.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bank of the West. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight